Forum Settings
Forums

Is it just me or is there a lot of un-necessary sexualization in anime?

New
Dec 6, 2018 10:39 AM
Oct 2015
Like i'm thinking i've just been trying the wrong anime, but it's just to much for me, i'm just not into up-skirt camera angles, mentions by male characters of how lewd their thoughts are for female characters, breast touching (intentional or not), and all the other things that i haven't mentioned. Like it's just such a disconnect from reality for me, i don't know if it is for other people, but in my real world women don't like being sexualized, unless perhaps they've known you for a long time and are interested in a relationship, even then things are still gradual, exceptions being one night stands, and raucous party making/alcohol consumption. Maybe it's just where i live, but sexualization is looked down on, not necessarily the girls wearing promiscuous clothing, but being so base as to call out or voice sexual thoughts.

Idk i'm not making any sense, but i've been recommended some anime recently and i tried like 3 separate ones and within the first episode there is some sort of sexual situation (intentional or not) or un-necessary camera angle, or discourse of how aroused a character is. It's not my thing and i was unable to get into the anime's for it, and it's kind of bothering me that it seems so prevalent, at least in my experience.

Edit: Yeah, that makes sense, i'm not the target audience, maybe sexualization is the perfect way to keep a viewers attention throughout a show, I mean sex sells, i shouldn't argue, i don't think i have the right to try and call out entire consumer basis on what they're consuming. My bad, sometimes my ego gets the best of me, i just gotta remember: "it's not about me", and my need to voiece my opinion will die out.

Edit 2:Y'all roasting me for my watch-list hurts man, I'm sorry if I got a thing for apathetic protags, I like the idea so much I can ignore sexualized characterization. Clearly I'm missing something on 3 gatsu, I'll revisit it, it just felt really slow.

I guess I should clarify, I don't hate sex action/talk as a understandable character romance thing but I don't tell my friends or strangers how attractive they are, that's just weird to me, I'm sorry I realize I'm the odd one out.
SambiguousDec 6, 2018 1:22 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 6, 2018 10:46 AM

Jul 2015
You have to keep in mind that anime is an economical good, mass produced and meant for mass consumption.

Naturally, it follows the needs of the target audience.

Who pays for anime? Otaku.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Oct 2018
Definitely not unnecessary for many people. Believe it or not, many young male Anime fans are into woman and for some of them Anime girls also do it. And for them its fanservice and it sells in Japan.

Jul 2007
Yes there is and people will actually try to defend it.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Dec 6, 2018 10:48 AM

May 2014
Idk unless it's like really overdone or out of place it probably won't bother me.
Dec 6, 2018 10:49 AM
Aug 2018
no its not just you, there are plenty that have unnecessary sexualization in their shows, but like any other medium, some can add it to the story and make it the anime better, but that's so far and few between.
Dec 6, 2018 10:51 AM

Feb 2013
Railey2 said:
You have to keep in mind that anime is an economical good, mass produced and meant for mass consumption.

Naturally, it follows the needs of the target audience.

Who pays for anime? Otaku.
i only pay for quality netflix anime like hero mask
Dec 6, 2018 10:54 AM

Aug 2016
A huge amount of anime fans are sweaty nerds who get off to 2D characters, so of course anime making people will try to capitalize on that by shoving panty-shots and stuff all over the place to keep those people interested.. even if it doesn't fit the show at all or seems "pointless".

Dec 6, 2018 10:57 AM

Apr 2016
Sexualization is everywhere duh. You just need to choose the right anime
Dec 6, 2018 10:58 AM

Mar 2017
Yes there are, quite a lot. and judging by the replies ahead of mine. I think you'd know what's the clear answer.

@Sambiguous what you thought of was natural, it's absolutely okay to think that way, no need to put unnecessary blame on yourself... now that you know what you've asked.. I suggest picking a show that's right for you.. hopefully. There are many shows that over - sexualize stuff as much as shows that are deep and good. you just need to look for it :D
OrbitChewyDec 6, 2018 11:05 AM
Dec 6, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2018
Sambiguous said:
Like i'm thinking i've just been trying the wrong anime, but it's just to much for me, i'm just not into up-skirt camera angles, mentions by male characters of how lewd their thoughts are for female characters, breast touching (intentional or not), and all the other things that i haven't mentioned. Like it's just such a disconnect from reality for me, i don't know if it is for other people, but in my real world women don't like being sexualized, unless perhaps they've known you for a long time and are interested in a relationship, even then things are still gradual, exceptions being one night stands, and raucous party making/alcohol consumption. Maybe it's just where i live, but sexualization is looked down on, not necessarily the girls wearing promiscuous clothing, but being so base as to call out or voice sexual thoughts.

Idk i'm not making any sense, but i've been recommended some anime recently and i tried like 3 separate ones and within the first episode there is some sort of sexual situation (intentional or not) or un-necessary camera angle, or discourse of how aroused a character is. It's not my thing and i was unable to get into the anime's for it, and it's kind of bothering me that it seems so prevalent, at least in my experience.

Edit: Yeah, that makes sense, i'm not the target audience, maybe sexualization is the perfect way to keep a viewers attention throughout a show, I mean sex sells, i shouldn't argue, i don't think i have the right to try and call out entire consumer basis on what they're consuming. My bad, sometimes my ego gets the best of me, i just gotta remember: "it's not about me", and my need to voiece my opinion will die out.

I don't know, you dropped 3gatsu... you don't deserve help.
Dec 6, 2018 10:59 AM

Apr 2018
Unless it's one of those series that are basically hentai without hentai then it's never really bothered me.

Dec 6, 2018 11:01 AM

May 2017
Yeah... It is just you, 7 billion humans on earth and only you think there is a lot of unnecessary sexualization in anime.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Dec 6, 2018 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
DaCraziGuy said:
Sambiguous said:

OFF-TOPIC

Let's be Honest, that anime don't deserve that amount of praise that it got.
Dec 6, 2018 11:05 AM

Oct 2017
A lot of anime have a fair amount of sexualization and yes, it's often unnecessary although there are plenty of shows that make use of fan service in some way. I think it's important to distinguish between sexualization and objectification, sex is a thing and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that so long as it's clear that treating someone as nothing but a sex object is morally wrong.
There are plenty of options if you'd rather avoid sexualized shows ofc, you can ask for recommendations or just keep looking yourself.
Dec 6, 2018 11:10 AM

Nov 2016
Welcome into the anime zone mate, that's how we do things here
But more seriously there's actually a lot of anime with none of those in them, you aren't going to find any panty shot outside of the ecchi genre. You just need to look for them I don't know what you were expecting while watching prison school
JoyBoy_316Dec 6, 2018 11:21 AM
Dec 6, 2018 11:12 AM

Feb 2013
Sambiguous said:
i'm curious which are those 3 anime ..
Dec 6, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
uuuuuuuhm in my opiniooooooon it's super duper important because like, it shows the importance of adulthood and sexualityyyy and how it's important to be super duper mature about it instead of getting a nosebled
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Dec 6, 2018 11:28 AM

Aug 2018
Laciani said:
DaCraziGuy said:

OFF-TOPIC

Let's be Honest, that anime don't deserve that amount of praise that it got.

I actually have no idea how praised it is. I just think it's a great show, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece tho. I think it has great characters with great development and some really heavy realistic problems presented in a unique and deep way. It has some boring moments, especially in the first season and not all of the characters are likeables.

But dropping a show like this one with a comment like he/she and such a small anime list did seemed pretty funny. I know that the list might not be updated tho.
Dec 6, 2018 11:31 AM

Feb 2010
Either you're watching the wrong shows or you're just extremely oversensitive to an unreasonable degree. Did you drop 3-gatsu for that reason? Cause it doesn't get much less sexualized than that one.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 6, 2018 11:31 AM
Jul 2015
Sambiguous said:

Anime and sexualization? You just discovered an interesting topic.
Dec 6, 2018 11:34 AM

Apr 2018
Imagine me completing classroom of the elite without the shit ton of fan service it has which is one of the few decent shit it has but the beach ep was awful smh
Dec 6, 2018 11:36 AM

Jan 2018
Yes, there is. But Japan will be Japan, and anime is catered to the Japanese after all.
Dec 6, 2018 11:37 AM

Nov 2011
its almost as if they add fanservice so that people will be more inclined to buy the blurays and help the company to stay in business.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Dec 6, 2018 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
I think so too and I'm more annoyed than offended by it
sexualization drives away quality in characterization and cheapens the story imo
but its important to viewership since most anime fans enjoy watching sexy anime girls/guys doing their own things while showing off their bodies
I do see a lot of vulgar humor being used in sexual situations in most ecchi/harem anime and honestly the usage is on point
Dec 6, 2018 12:03 PM

Oct 2010
You won't go anywhere if you treat sexual themes as an all-or-nothing issue. There is an obvious difference between a character casually commenting on the breast size or the sex appeal of another character and a show with boobs squeezed all over the screen again and again. Stuff that is completely tame and unaware of sexual themes does exist, but don't let your enjoyment get ruined just because there's a single shot or a random comment, because that's a huge limitation, and it's like, I dunno, saying that a character being beheaded and eviscerated on screen has the same impact to you than a character walking across a lamp post and getting hit in the head accidentally.
Dec 6, 2018 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
Fanservice or sexualization stuff isn’t new. Anime isn’t special or exceptional to that either. Film and television, comic book, and even video game have use the same old objectification or sexualization in their respective mediums.

Why does anime have so much? Because it sells and because it can.
xchyssaDec 6, 2018 12:25 PM
Dec 6, 2018 12:22 PM

Mar 2018
I mean yeah, there definitely is too much of it, but I just had to adapt and get used to it. It's not that big of a deal and it's not the only unrealistic thing about anime.
But if you can't see yourself ever being able to tolerate it or get used to it then just keep doing what you're doing and avoid it.
P.S. you're missing out on 3-gatsu no Lion and Saiki, both are amazing.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Dec 6, 2018 12:26 PM

Oct 2014
Yes there is. Is it a major problem? No, not really.

Dec 6, 2018 12:27 PM

Jan 2012
Seeing how little anime you've watched, how about trying other genres?

Dec 6, 2018 12:33 PM
Sep 2018
It isn’t only you, It’s hard to find an anime that doesn’t have any (at least) panty shot or MC being accused of having lewd thoughts.
Dec 6, 2018 12:34 PM
Feb 2014
Yes, there is unfortunately, i try to avoid genres/settings that i know have unnecesary sexualization(such as ecchi, harem, isekai, all girl casts), but if i happen to stumble upon it in an anime i'm watching i tend to not pay it any attention if i like the characters and story, if the story and characters are shitty then random pointless fanservice will annoy me though.

If you need some reccomendations for anime without fanservice i can try to help.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Dec 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Feb 2015
OP's not a sexually frustrated... Ihh well, in due time you will be.
Dec 6, 2018 12:56 PM

Oct 2010
StHFEgamer said:
It isn’t only you, It’s hard to find an anime that doesn’t have any (at least) panty shot or MC being accused of having lewd thoughts.

Agreed, don't let the truth of this statement ever get lost just because I can mention at least 25 counterexamples from this year alone.
Dec 6, 2018 1:09 PM

Sep 2018
Yeah their is. Here is a perfect meme response
Dec 6, 2018 1:12 PM

Nov 2018
It's Japan bruh, it's just in their culture. You have to remember of the time period we're in, cute girls sell.
Dec 6, 2018 1:14 PM

May 2018
Because most of humanity are degenerates, dumb and lecherous. And of course most of the production is based on their preferences (for money purpose) - silly, easy, cliched, primitive and triggering bestial thoughts

Dec 6, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
unnecessary sexualization is awesome don't be a pussy op
Dec 6, 2018 1:17 PM

Jun 2017
Yes there is alot of un-necessary sexualization in anime. It is just following the need of the target audience who are crazy weebs. It doesnt annoy me now you will get used to it 2
Dec 6, 2018 1:23 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
You haven’t watched much anime, there’s a lot of anime without sexual fanservice, trust me.
Dec 6, 2018 1:39 PM

Feb 2017
It's weird if you happen to be watching anime with someone else as well, but the worst thing to come out of this r ppl who sexualise lolis

Dec 6, 2018 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
Yes, there's a lot of sexualization and yes, it can be way too much sometimes.
But are you really saying that it's not normal for a male high schooler to have lewd thoughts almost every time he sees a girl? If you mean it, we must be from different planets... and it wasn't not only me, a proud pervert into a lot of weird stuff, but normal guys I knew too.
Dec 6, 2018 1:44 PM

Aug 2018
Sambiguous said:

Anime has a lot of sexualization? YES

Sex sells? Sometimes, if that were the case all the ecchi shows should be in the top and they aren't. For example in this season most of the ecchi shows have a shit score while in the last one they had a good one. It helps to lift meh stuff into something kinda enjoyable but it never gonna turn something into a masterpiece.

Also, when you voice you opinion the words are important. It's something that most people don't get, most of the times they also represent the logic behind that opinion and like some of us said, it seemed like you haven't watched much. It's not a bad thing btw.
Dec 6, 2018 1:53 PM
Oct 2015
simon443 said:
Yes, there's a lot of sexualization and yes, it can be way too much sometimes.
But are you really saying that it's not normal for a male high schooler to have lewd thoughts almost every time he sees a girl? If you mean it, we must be from different planets... and it wasn't not only me, a proud pervert into a lot of weird stuff, but normal guys I knew too.

Yeah I guess I am pretty strange. I never really had a normal teenage life in that regard, I was obsessed with aoe 2 and other games like it, spent so many hours trying to beat the ai on hardest, never even knew there was a build order till I got desperate and looked it up. I didn't get mood swings, I think you're supposed to get those as a teen, most of the time emotionally I just felt apathetic, I'd have to find something to obsess about to get my brain back into gear. Idk if that's normal. Also through out my teen years I was obsessed with mind over matter doing what I could to deny chemical impulses back then I guess I thought living more from the frontal cortex was better than obeying the whims of ever unpredictable hormonal glands.

So we are probably not from different planets, just different childhoods. Don't worry I realize I'm the weird one here, no delusions in that category. My guess: some form of autism or Asperger's or something... /:
Dec 6, 2018 2:01 PM

Aug 2013
Sambiguous said:

Yeah I guess I am pretty strange. I never really had a normal teenage life in that regard, I was obsessed with aoe 2 and other games like it, spent so many hours trying to beat the ai on hardest, never even knew there was a build order till I got desperate and looked it up. I didn't get mood swings, I think you're supposed to get those as a teen, most of the time emotionally I just felt apathetic, I'd have to find something to obsess about to get my brain back into gear. Idk if that's normal. Also through out my teen years I was obsessed with mind over matter doing what I could to deny chemical impulses back then I guess I thought living more from the frontal cortex was better than obeying the whims of ever unpredictable hormonal glands.

So we are probably not from different planets, just different childhoods. Don't worry I realize I'm the weird one here, no delusions in that category. My guess: some form of autism or Asperger's or something... /:

Not less normal than me tbh, I was the creepy loner expert in any kind of pornography and avoided by most.
Unlike you I was obsessed with porn and sex at the early age of 8 years old, and got only worse as the time passed. Don't worry too much about being the odd one; I bet that, after talking to me even 10 minutes, you were to ask anyone who is the worst between us I'd get chosen.
From the way I see it, you're near normality anyway.
Dec 6, 2018 2:37 PM
Oct 2015
simon443 said:
Sambiguous said:

Not less normal than me tbh, I was the creepy loner expert in any kind of pornography and avoided by most.
Unlike you I was obsessed with porn and sex at the early age of 8 years old, and got only worse as the time passed. Don't worry too much about being the odd one; I bet that, after talking to me even 10 minutes, you were to ask anyone who is the worst between us I'd get chosen.
From the way I see it, you're near normality anyway.

Haha, hey! Be nice to yourself! If you're not who will? Gotta have someone in your corner even if it's yourself. I'm fairly sure a person shouldn't be judged on one aspect of their character. Take yourself as a whole, and then be forgiving I doubt there's a person out there that doesn't have something they wish was better about themselves, a cracked vessel in a sea of sinking ships. Got a bit phillisophical there, sorry, basically don't beat yourself up over comparisons, one person may be good at one thing and another good at something else. Niether is greater than the other, just different.
Dec 6, 2018 2:52 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Every time I read a thread like this, both the OP and most of the replies within, I'm met with the grim reminder that the majority of people in this fandom are incapable of providing a reasonable anything and can only form opinions in absolute hyperbole and overstating.

Jesus christ, this board needs to be nuked off of the face of existence.

-----

The appeal of certain things don't always whittle down to their relevance to some overarching narrative. We're not discussing literature or written storytelling, we're discussing a visual medium still. Story taking backseat to aesthetic is still a reasonable move to make within these parameters even if it isn't some kind of high-art aesthetic and instead opting to focus primarily on how it's sexualizing its characters and using animation as a vessel of achieving as much. There is a lot of appeal in that, and no, it doesn't necessarily end up being whittled down into some dubious sentiment about these series being large, omni-present money printers being consumed by a bunch of ground-beating, drooling cavemen. It's a ridiculous and tiring projection, and one that's outright misguided at that, in terms of both stated success and presence.

But the fuck do I know as somebody who actively keeps a lookout for this type of content, present, past, and future releases as opposed to somebody who's got like, 4 fucking ecchi series stated as watched on their MALGraph and suddenly wants to act like they know the intent behind every consumer and creator of this content and every crevice of how these things function without a single fucking thought of anything else being the case?

Or what about as somebody with enough basic fucking sense to know not to whittle down both non-ecchi and ecchi shows I watch to a single anime fall happening? Or maybe as somebody who doesn't go to AD and write out a pointless fucking thread, the billionth of its kind that doesn't say anything that even remotely deviates from the previous millions upon millions, filled with the same posturing responses that become so rooted in the idea that these series only exist and are made to exploit an audience, that they conveniently ignore the reality that the studio that most consistently made ecchi and fanservice oriented series and adapted very, very fucking impactful H&E series like TLR and Love Hina was forcibly absorbed into a profitable but-not-fanservice-oriented studio because they've been operating at such a huge loss for so many years?

Fuck me. You really can't fix people from being ignorant wastes of breath, I guess. It's not even possible to try and write a productive response in these things because no matter how much fucking numbers and evidence you toss at people, hordes of them just rush in with the exact same bullshit that's been said thousands upon thousands upon thousands of times before because it's more convient to the worldview they want to possess as opposed to the actual fucking reality of the situation.

No, it isn't unavoidable in the slightest. It's very easily avoidable. No, these shows aren't money seeds. No, liking ecchi doesn't make the consumer a fucking troglodyte who just is incapable of anything past beating their chest and fapping. Goddammit all.

I can't even get mad anymore. I desperately want to be mad and I tried my best to be as pissed off as possible here, but eghhhhhh.
ManabanDec 6, 2018 3:10 PM

Dec 6, 2018 3:18 PM
Oct 2015
Manaban said:
Every time I read a thread like this, both the OP and most of the replies within, I'm met with the grim reminder that the majority of people in this fandom are incapable of providing a reasonable anything and can only form opinions in absolute hyperbole and overstating.

-----

The appeal of certain things don't always whittle down to their relevance to some overarching narrative. We're not discussing literature or written storytelling, we're discussing a visual medium still. Story taking backseat to aesthetic is still a reasonable move to make within these parameters even if it isn't some kind of high-art aesthetic and instead opting to focus primarily on how it's sexualizing its characters and using animation as a vessel of achieving as much. There is a lot of appeal in that, and no, it doesn't necessarily end up being whittled down into some dubious sentiment about these series being large, omni-present money printers being consumed by a bunch of ground-beating, drooling cavemen. It's a ridiculous and tiring projection, and one that's outright misguided at that, in terms of both stated success and presence.

But the fuck do I know as somebody who actively keeps a lookout for this type of content, present, past, and future releases as opposed to somebody who's got like, 4 fucking ecchi series stated as watched on their MALGraph and suddenly wants to act like they know the intent behind every consumer and creator of this content and every crevice of how these things function without a single fucking thought of anything else being the case?

Or what about as somebody with enough basic fucking sense to know not to whittle down both non-ecchi and ecchi shows I watch to a single anime fall happening? Or maybe as somebody who doesn't go to AD and write out a pointless fucking thread, the billionth of its kind that doesn't say anything that even remotely deviates from the previous millions upon millions, filled with the same posturing responses that become so rooted in the idea that these series only exist and are made to exploit an audience, that they conveniently ignore the reality that the studio that most consistently made ecchi and fanservice oriented series and adapted very, very fucking impactful H&E series like TLR and Love Hina was forcibly absorbed into a profitable but-not-fanservice-oriented studio because they've been operating at such a huge loss for so many years?

Fuck me. You really can't fix people from being ignorant wastes of breath, I guess. It's not even possible to try and write a productive response in these things because no matter how much fucking numbers and evidence you toss at people, hordes of them just rush in with the exact same bullshit that's been said thousands upon thousands upon thousands of times before because it's more convient to the worldview they want to possess as opposed to the actual fucking reality of the situation.

No, it isn't unavoidable in the slightest. It's very easily avoidable. No, these shows aren't money seeds. No, liking ecchi doesn't make the consumer a fucking troglodyte who just is incapable of anything past beating their chest and fapping. Goddammit all.

I can't even get mad anymore. I desperately want to be mad and I tried my best to be as pissed off as possible here, but eghhhhhh.

Sorry about that, I don't think I meant it in that way, you're right to call me out, you sound quite knowledgeable in the genre's and what not of anime, do you know of any anime's similar to Monster? Best anime I ever saw. Also do you know any anime's where the protag is apathetic, that's my storytelling kink. You don't have to, mind you, but I'd be grateful for the assistance. Either way excellent use of words to portray your pov, I've never been good at that myself.
Dec 6, 2018 3:31 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Sambiguous said:
Manaban said:

-----

Sorry about that, I don't think I meant it in that way, you're right to call me out, you sound quite knowledgeable in the genre's and what not of anime, do you know of any anime's similar to Monster? Best anime I ever saw. Also do you know any anime's where the protag is apathetic, that's my storytelling kink. You don't have to, mind you, but I'd be grateful for the assistance. Either way excellent use of words to portray your pov, I've never been good at that myself.

I wasn't calling you out individually, albeit yeah, I am very much upset knowing the minute or two that I spent reading your OP are now gone forever. Just think of what that could've gone towards, man. I could've listened to around half of a song. Started making a sandwich or a snack. Got up and took a leak and then looked in the mirror for a bit. Brushed my teeth. Cleaned off my table a little bit. So on and so forth.

If anything, though, I do feel a lot of the responses tended to be much more obnoxious to me than your OP, I just felt it warranted a mention still because it came off as rather...silly, overstating, et cetera.

I know jack shit about anime as a holistic entity, I know enough to feel comfortable discussing it and forming opinions on it and saying "I kind of get the differences between here and here" but to act like a veteran of the entire medium would be far beyond my station. Ecchi stuff and fanservice stuff? Yeah, I do keep track of that sort of thing rather fanatically and am pretty confident in my ability to do so. But beyond that? I'm a student with a passive interest at best. I'd even say I'm a student of the thing I know most about still, but it's the thing I'm most comfortable talking about and am most interested in talking about, so eh.

For an anime similar to Monster, Iunno, Kaiji maybe? It might seem like a bit of a stretch, but for psychological games, an ability to create tension, and human condition stuff, it's got a strong mix of the three, I'd say. I greatly prefer Kaiji, but Kaiji is a lot more hot-blooded and active than Monster. Kaiji also lacks the mystery components pretty much entirely, so unsure.

Apathetic protagonist isn't something I can say I've seen a lot of. It seems like it'd be difficult to even build a narrative around a protagonist that's apathetic to everything, and I don't know what elements you're wanting them to be apathetic towards specifically either, if there are any.
ManabanDec 6, 2018 3:40 PM

Dec 6, 2018 3:34 PM

Mar 2016
If it's in the anime, obviously the creators thought it was necessary.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What do you think of piracy? ( 1 2 3 )

ForgotEyeWasHere - Mar 26

102 by yoslina »»
3 minutes ago

» Heyya~ How did you find your favorite anime?

Rinrinka - Today

45 by Kazuma_- »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Re Zero s3 censorship confirmed on 2 characters ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

rohan121 - Mar 26

208 by 0063873192871 »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time?

MeanMrMusician - Today

40 by yoslina »»
6 minutes ago

» Similar Anime that fail to work for you

kizumi91 - Yesterday

26 by Shirayukin »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.