Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2018 12:54 AM
Jan 2012
I remember a while ago when reading up on people's opinions on this show, most people just did not like Reigen. It seemed like it was almost universal to hate him till maybe halfway through, and it felt like I was the only one that didn't hate him to death.

Was my assumption of his hate wrong, or is he genuinely disliked that much? I understand people not liking the idea of him, but he didn't seem that bad, his fake exorcist shtick was really just a gag. I've seen far worse characters get far less hate.

This isn't me trying to say it isn't warranted, and that he shouldn't be hated, I just want to know why, what are your opinions on this?
Dec 7, 2018 8:19 AM
Aug 2016
Really?Genuinely curious,where did you read it?Reigen is one of the most beloved adn well-known characters in anime community,he's one of the reasons why Mob Psycho 100 become so popular,hell there was even internet-event in his honor,"Redraw Reigen" and that was before the finale of the show,when even people who wasn't keen on him changed their opinion.Of course there is always people who don't like certain character but when talking about majority of people,reigen actually is very liked,so yeah,your assumption is completely wrong.
Dec 7, 2018 2:58 PM

Oct 2016
FYI Reigen has twice the number of favorites here as Mob.
Dec 7, 2018 5:54 PM

Aug 2015
Yeah, Reigen is pretty loved as far as I know, and deservedly so because he's hands down the best character in the show, so no idea where your thoughts that he was universally hated and that you were the only one that liked him come from.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Dec 7, 2018 5:58 PM

Oct 2018
I'd buy a waifu pillow of him if I didn't have a bit of dignity ngl, I love the guy.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Dec 7, 2018 9:00 PM
Jan 2012
Ok wow, so it was just me? Must have been me seeing it in an isolated topic or comment chain where only people with similar opinions posted. I'm glad I was wrong
Dec 7, 2018 9:08 PM

Jul 2017
When I was watching the show during air time I recalled people loving Reigen a lot. I also personally believe that Reigen was a part of the reason why the anime was so good.
Dec 9, 2018 3:33 AM

Oct 2016
OnionKnightRises said:
Ok wow, so it was just me? Must have been me seeing it in an isolated topic or comment chain where only people with similar opinions posted. I'm glad I was wrong

Perhaps because episode 1's impression of Reigen wasn't so great, that the comments about Reigen specifically in that episode was negative, because from what I've seen around, quite a lot of people have their opinions on him change throughout the season.
May 11, 2019 3:26 AM
Dec 2018
OnionKnightRises said:
I remember a while ago when reading up on people's opinions on this show, most people just did not like Reigen. It seemed like it was almost universal to hate him till maybe halfway through, and it felt like I was the only one that didn't hate him to death.

Was my assumption of his hate wrong, or is he genuinely disliked that much? I understand people not liking the idea of him, but he didn't seem that bad, his fake exorcist shtick was really just a gag. I've seen far worse characters get far less hate.

This isn't me trying to say it isn't warranted, and that he shouldn't be hated, I just want to know why, what are your opinions on this?

I don't like him either but i like sakurai's voice
#kyoanistrong
Jul 28, 2019 2:59 AM
Jul 2019
I guess it's pretty unpopular, but I hate Reigen. With a passion. As a character, even in the show, he is pretty dense. I won't deny his benefit to Mob, and I won't deny his humour, but he is kinda the worst character. He showd up to steal the spotlight at the worst times, and has no faith in Mob except when it suits him.
Jul 28, 2019 3:49 AM
Apr 2016
I honestly like Reigen quite a lot, however, I don't support the fact that he's manipulative toward Mob.
Aug 23, 2019 4:34 PM

Jun 2017
reigen's a total ass, but he gets enough good moments to a point where's he redeemable enough to be liked

just about every character in this show have sucked to some extent, and i don't necessarily mean that as in 'bad writing' or 'bad characters', i mean that as individual people - whether because they were just losers or because of evil or whatever- they've sucked

reigen of course is a con-man, he scams people and unfortunately he isn't above manipulating shiego. he's not cool enough to be someone like kaiki from monogatari either, and while he does have his obvious good moments, the bad things about his character don't exactly just go away because of that. personally, i think he'd be a much more lovable character if he was a con-man who happened to have better intentions, or happened to be able to create good results at the end of the day, even as a con man. Instead, he seems stay as an idiot who gives dubious advice and happens to get notably lucky, which can make some good fun, but i can't say i like him anymore because of it
Mar 7, 2021 8:14 PM
Jan 2021
I dislike Reigen. Reigen acts like he understands Mob and for the most part he doesn't really. He is just such an con to even the person that is supposed to be his apprentice. It feels like the only thing he needs mob for is his con business not as a friend but as his stepping stool and tbh the whole dont use your power against human thing is so anoying especially when mob needs them for self defense. It should be dont use your powers against humans unless it is a danger not to do so.
AntJeanMar 7, 2021 8:19 PM
Jul 31, 2021 3:33 AM
May 2021
i'm not jumping on the reigen hype train either.

i don't take issue with his livelihood. clients come to him with normal problems they blame on supernatural causes; he solves their issues and ensures they leave satisfied. he is also likely undercharging for his services, given his serious massage/spa skills and the terrible clients he attracts.

he's a ridiculously well-drawn character in every sense of that phrase. attractive, extremely complex, and consistently written. i admire his immense talent for persuasion and his confidence; he's a good role model in this regard. he does actually give mob good life advice, even if it's for self-serving reasons. reigen's also more familiar with the kid's emotional landscape than his parents are. he discourages mob from fighting against people out to kill him at the end of the season, which i found refreshing. the man knows mob's destructive capabilities already cause him a world of pain. why add to his suffering? reigen gets it. that is love right there.

otherwise, reigen is terrible AND he takes way too long to fully redeem himself. people like to say his mocking mob in the second season was 'out of character' but his lack of respect for mob is obvious for most of the series. he even claims credit for mob's exorcism work. the threadbare ramen made me sad.

from the first episode, the way he interacts with mob rubs me in ALL the wrong ways. he's pulling pages straight out of the narcissist's manual:
  • they try to convince you that you need them to function in some way. while reigen understood that mob was troubled, he lost no time in encouraging the child's dependency on him while capitalizing on his talents. his 'you need me to help you control your powers' spiel is self-serving bullshit at its finest, and not unlike suzuki's treatment of serizawa...

• they isolate you from other sources of support. reigen's habit of summoning him on short notice prevents him from developing a social life for quite a while. while part of mob's social isolation is self-imposed, this makes it worse.

• they insult you repeatedly or imply that you lack skill in things you're good at. luckily mob is strong-willed enough not to take reigen's BS seriously.

• they don't respect your time or your boundaries. reigen repeatedly calls mob in to work on short notice despite being asked not to over and over. in the second season he gets even more unreasonable about this: i love how he eats up mob's entire fucking weekend and cuts into his sleep before school the next morning dealing with shitty clients i wouldn't have entertained the first time they approached.

• they steal from you, or attempt to. there are TOO MANY people in this fandom who justify him paying this kid in pocket change for his work. this is straight-up theft. also, need i mention that he's actually using illegal child labor here? mob has been working for him since he was 10? 11? what kid that young knows to negotiate for fair pay?
his redeeming qualities are given more focus after s1e1. this humanizes him, but apparently obscures the toxic aspects of their relationship for a lot of people who watch this show. for me, he's like the parent who shops away their child's college fund, or a boss who creates an awesome work environment otherwise but can't pay full-time staff on a regular basis.

mob is willing to tolerate all that dirt for the priceless morels in it. he's a precious boy, but too patient with people. i'm glad characters point this out to him.
oogenesisJul 31, 2021 2:01 PM
Nov 22, 2022 10:31 AM
Mar 2008
OMG I hate him so much. :( I can't finish episode 1 of season 2 because of him, it makes me sad.
Jan 23, 2023 6:45 PM
Apr 2016
He is the reason I hated this anime for years... Recently after ending of serie I'm thinking give a chance again and finish other seasons, honestly I was enjoying serie but everytime this idiot does something everything becames shitty like how he ruined season 1 finale...
Mar 17, 2023 9:45 PM
Sep 2021
Reigen is a cool comic relief compared to others like zenitsu & mineta. He's the reason I watched mob psycho
Aug 11, 2023 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
For me he's a fantastic character in a mid anime. But I think my tastes are just different than the average Mob Psycho 100 enjoyer.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mob Psycho 100 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

405 by ShirJager »»
Apr 17, 6:19 PM

Poll: » Do you think Mob is autistic? ( 1 2 )

TASM18 - Apr 4

56 by TASM18 »»
Apr 12, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Mob Psycho 100 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

253 by mytsisontyhma »»
Apr 12, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Mob Psycho 100 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

405 by squiddard »»
Mar 26, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Mob Psycho 100 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

266 by squiddard »»
Mar 26, 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.