Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 3, 2018 10:11 AM
Feb 2018
All of the 1/10's, 2/10's just because of the ending are total exaggerations. Yes, the ending was rushed, they tried to incorporate so many new themes that it could of been used for a second season, but the show itself was still good up until the end. The thing I don't get is how some people are absolutely trashing the show for taking inspiration from Evangelion or Gurren Lagann. Obviously DITF isn't as good as those shows but everything from the characters, the art, the sound, the animation we're still very good. Just sounds like a bunch of Elitists for the most part. If you are a casual viewer, give the show a shot. If you haven't seen Evangelion or Gurren Lagann, you won't notice the certain inspirations but that's okay. It's not a bad show. I'd give it 7-7.5/10 personally.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2018 4:06 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly, there are many reasons for the low ratings. The show doesn't do anything remotely worthwhile with the elements it's taking from those shows, sometimes rehashing them outright for its own plot structures and arcs, which are handled poorly. The show gives you little reason to get invested in these characters given how inconsistently they are written --even early on-- and the few they try giving backstories to are pretty lame characters outside of that. They aren't established well. The world-building and premise clash with each other as soon as you realize these characters have no idea about the concept of sex, attraction, or most things regarding the sexual portion of human nature, yet they constantly flirt, get embarrassed, etc. even before most of them eventually learn about this stuff. The world-building sets itself up for failure, only for episodes 19 and 20 to somehow make the reveals even more broken and nonsensical than expected. Elements set up, like episode 10, get left by the wayside, further adding onto how it feels like they made things up as they went along. The monologues are embarrassing. That final quarter is just...on a league of its own. The animation itself is pretty meh, with no sense of spectacle or impact to any of the fight scenes, and some pretty weak mech designs & male character designs. I don't find the OST remarkable either. Don't try to pull the whole "elitists" card. You can definitely enjoy the show, that's perfectly fine, but honestly, I don't really see much good in this one. A 2/10 is not an exaggeration, and this is coming from someone who doesn't despise the show as violently as most of the 1/10 reviews did.
Dec 3, 2018 4:19 PM

Aug 2016
I don't think FranXX was ever a good series, it just had a stretch of promising episodes in the mid point that could lead to some interesting plot developments. Alas, most of those interesting episodes didn't even matter in the grand scheme of things, and the ones that did led to the utter bullshit that was the second half of the show.
-RyuDec 3, 2018 4:23 PM
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Dec 4, 2018 3:23 AM

Jan 2018
I liked the first half of this season but the 2nd half just killed it for me.

For me, it's 6/10 for the first 16 episodes and 1/10 for the ones remaining.
Dec 4, 2018 3:37 AM

Nov 2018
I loved it. 8 on my lists.
yuccasnpkDec 4, 2018 3:59 AM
Dec 4, 2018 9:37 AM

Jun 2017
Those reviews were like that way way before the ending. The ending didn't change those reviews a bit.

Also the ending can impact how you feel about a show. Regardless the show was really hated even before the ending. Before the ending I think the top reviews were 1, 2, 4 and 9(I don't really remember)?

I guess the positive reviewers got hit with trauma after seeing the last two episodes lol. Well I am looking forward to see what Nishigori's next work is. The parts he did well have been done perfectly and the parts he obviously never thought what he needed to do like the 7-11 and especially the last 6 episodes have come across as from mediocre to egregiously bad. I didn't hate the ending as badly as many others do but I guess the fact that many are angry over the ending might be a testimony of it achieving what it was trying to do-get many butthurt over tragedy lol although I would argue its not really a tragedy(Well not many consider the ending of Angel Beats a tragedy so I don't see this as well).I will give it somewhere around 5-6. It used to be around 7 but then I raised my rating scalee and dropped the ratings to 5.
Dec 4, 2018 2:55 PM

Dec 2017
Honestly, it doesn't seem as bad as I had originally thought. Yeah, the ending was definitely something else, but the show managed to keep me waiting on the edge of my seat for the next episode more often than not. Idk, maybe I'm just crazy.
Dec 4, 2018 5:28 PM

Feb 2013
was 5/10 always for me, ending changed nothing...
Dec 5, 2018 2:07 AM
Jan 2012
Ariavartan said:
Those reviews were like that way way before the ending. The ending didn't change those reviews a bit.

I do not recall nearly as much hate back then before the halfway point. Most of the reviews still gave it a 7 or 8 when I last checked around episode 14 or so. I've seen a ton of people change their scores due to the ending. It wasn't just about the ending being bad to some people, because a lot of people will watch an anime that they think is mediocre, or even bad, because they think the payoff will be worth it, so the ending being this hated got people mad they invested that much time only to get burned.

I'm only saying what I've seen the reactions are and the reasoning though, I've yet to see this anime and I don't know if the ending is as bad as they say, but I do know the reviews have changed substantially. There were some reviews that still gave it a low score before the ending, but there were barely any that gave it anywhere near a 1 or 2.
Dec 5, 2018 5:40 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Cringemax from the starting. I saw no quality drop in the 2nd half. One of the shittiest cast of characters I have seen especially Zero Two and that cuck bitch whose name I forgot. Sasuga Trigger, always living up to my expectations./s
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 5, 2018 6:19 PM

Aug 2017
Yes, it's very bad, deal with it.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 5, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2015
With how much episodes they wasted for absolutely nothing, I'd say it is Lol
Dec 5, 2018 6:57 PM

Nov 2012
This was a solid 7/10 before episode 11 happened. I had my reservations about talentless Nishigori, but I really wanted a good mecha show......

But then......., fucking CUCKWHORO and NTR fucked it all up.

If someone had told me Okada was writing this shit...., I would believe them.

For me, the show never recovered from episode 11 and a solid 1/10 was cemented as its final score.
Dec 5, 2018 7:08 PM

Oct 2010
It's uninspired, it's derivative, it's quite badly-structured, it has a very forgettable cast and it has terrible dialogue/exposition. There's a lot of issues to point at with this show, so no wonder some have come to hate it. I did mildly enjoy it, though, but it was not exactly a smooth ride.
Dec 5, 2018 7:18 PM

Oct 2017
When I said that Darling in the Franxx is the new Sword Art Online, it is indeed the new Sword Art Online because of the extreme hate that both show receive. That's also why we need a huge reform in the review section, as the Top-4 reviews are extremely negative to a 7,62 anime.

I may say that since the ending of Darling, the fall of ratings has been extreme and always blinded by hate and extreme progressivism who were extremely disgusted with the traditionalist nature of DitF. In comparision of other animes that have finished in a lapse of 6 months before or after Darling in the Franxx ending have more normal corrections:

-Blend S: 7,66 at Dec 2017; now at 7,56. A loss of 0,00833 points per month.
-Net-juu no Susume: 7,94 at Dec 2017: now at 7,82. A loss of exactly 0,01 per month.
-Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho: 8,66 at Mar 2018; now at 8,60. A loss of exactly 0,00667 per month.
-Slow Start: 7,17 at Mar 2018; now at 7,11. A loss of exactly 0,01 per month.
-Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii: 8,14 at Jun 2018; now at 8,06. A loss of exactly 0,01333 per month.
-Darling in the Franxx: 7,88 at Jul 2018; now at 7,61. An extreme loss of exactly 0,054 per month.
Even f-ing Sword Art Online has fell from 7,63 in Dec 2017 to 7,60 now. A small loss of 0,0025 per month.

That's why I said that Darling in the Franxx was victim of bad press from ANN who were bitsching all the time because of conservatism. Also victim of some extremists who decided that death threatening the guys in charge will give them some publicity. Victim of trying to not pleasuring the hardline mecha fans. Basically a project that was doomed to fail because there was a collusion that destroyed forever the lone positive reputation that was left from Darling in the Franxx.

That there were errors and blunders in the last 5-6 episodes, that's undeniable. However, trying to censure the very few positive opinion that we fans of Darling in the Franxx have, that's downright mean, idiotic. Can you let us fans alone just for once?

yuccasnpk said:
I loved it. 8 on my lists.

Seems in the same boat, I interpreted Darling as a more essentialist show rather than a mecha one. I did a review almost exactly about your premises.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Dec 5, 2018 7:29 PM

Nov 2012
tlato_but said:
That's also why we need a huge reform in the review section, as the Top-4 reviews are extremely negative to a 7,62 anime.

Why?

And no we don't. Top reviews are community chosen. As in, something the community agreed with and voted up. I don't see why you would want to change that unless you are angry that a pure shit show like Franxx got fucked over by reviewers...... nahhhh I'm sure that's not the case and I am overthinking it.

Couldn't read anything else after that because you seem to not know what a decimal point is. Such a shame though. Basic education should be a right imo.
Dec 5, 2018 7:34 PM

Oct 2010
@tlato_but You are giving too much credit to ANN reviews. They are not really that influential, and if people had issues with the conservative values of the show they would have them anyway. The idea that some negative comments can shape an entire fanbase is a bit exaggerated.

The issue with death threats did cause a fuss, though, and it created a bad image for the fanbase and to a point for the show. This is a much more likely influence.

@Naxrrhid Not sure what you mean about decimals but in Europe and South America we use commas as decimal separators. This is a fairly frequent mistake when we post in English-speaking communities.
jal90Dec 5, 2018 7:40 PM
Dec 5, 2018 7:52 PM

Oct 2017
Naxrrhid said:
Why?

And no we don't. Top reviews are community chosen. As in, something the community agreed with and voted up. I don't see why you would want to change that unless you are angry that a pure shit show like Franxx got fucked over by reviewers...... nahhhh I'm sure that's not the case and I am overthinking it.

Says the one who not only doesn't use the medium of the ratings systems just to shit on your hated shows, ej Darling, Steins Gate, etc. But also a guy who has even the decency to put Trinity Seven as its top favourite anime. In tastes there are colours, they say, but this is way too far to even be believable.

And yes, I do want a reform because of the s. persons like you keep padding each other with the negative reviews that some of your tribe make for Darling in the Franxx. I'm not forcing to change your opinion on Darling, I'm asking to leave us alone. In a sense, you're like those ultraprogressive who pad each other's back and are on a race of who's more "woke". The arrogant way that you attacked me because you didn't really know my agenda before it's pretty sad and disappointing.

I believe in free speech by the way, but I also believe that a balance of opinions should be made, you literally give thumbs up to negative reviews of Franxx, so do I with the positive reviews of Darling in the Franxx. If you wanna shit on a review, then you shouldn't do a review at all, there's no work invested, no explanation of the points that the MAL blueprints put, no consideration of other variables, just a regurgiation of the shit you made to keep Darling banished in a dungeon where it was banished.

Naxrrhid said:
Couldn't read anything else after that because you seem to not know what a decimal point is. Such a shame though. Basic education should be a right imo.

I guess that's even more ignorance and lack education from yourself because in Latin America, which is a few hours from your belowed country, we DO use the comma as a separation of decimals. Guess I can't expect too much education from non-ABC countries.

jal90 said:
@tlato_but You are giving too much credit to ANN reviews. They are not really that influential, and if people had issues with the conservative values of the show they would have them anyway. The idea that some negative comments can shape an entire fanbase is a bit exaggerated.

The issue with death threats did cause a fuss, though, and it created a bad image for the fanbase and to a point for the show. This is a much more likely influence.

@Naxrrhid Not sure what you mean about decimals but in Europe and South America we use commas as decimal separators. This is a fairly frequent mistake when we post in English-speaking communities.

Thank you again for the defence, you always defend me, despite our opposites.
But I'm not that well versed in anime news sites, but there seems to be a consensus of hate and disregard towards Darling in the Franxx, unless you know a site who kept defending the anime even in the final episodes, or even mantained a sense of neutrality. I'd be more than happy to know it.
tlato_butDec 5, 2018 7:56 PM
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Dec 5, 2018 8:11 PM

Nov 2018
You need some sort of help on the show?

I'm just gonna put this channel here for you guys to watch if you're interested. Heard the guy because it's thanks to him people enjoyed DitF, I mean I skimmed comments in his videos. Just a warning: he has long videos, average 1-2 hours.
Dec 5, 2018 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
Oh boy....., I will try to get to all your points, atleast the ones written in proper English.

Dec 5, 2018 9:18 PM

Oct 2017
Naxrrhid said:
Oh boy....., I will try to get to all your points, atleast the ones written in proper English.

I'm just gonna say that I do work with English in IRL situations, considering the native language here is Spanish. And I'm C1 in English by the way.

Naxrrhid said:
tlato_but said:
Says the one who not only doesn't use the medium of the ratings systems just to shit on your hated shows, ej Darling, Steins Gate, etc. But also a guy who has even the decency to put Trinity Seven as its top favourite anime. In tastes there are colours, they say, but this is way too far to even be believable.

"wah wah wah, stop liking what I don't like..... wah wah wah start liking what I like! How dare you have an anime I dropped in your Top 10!?" LMAO, all I'll say here, is that taste is subjective, superior taste even more so.

Back to basics again. All people are equal to each other, but some of them are more equal to others. Progressive bs, exactly what are you doing here.

Naxrrhid said:
tlato_but said:
And yes, I do want a reform because of the s. persons like you keep padding each other with the negative reviews that some of your tribe make for Darling in the Franxx. I'm not forcing to change your opinion on Darling, I'm asking to leave us alone. In a sense, you're like those ultraprogressive who pad each other's back and are on a race of who's more "woke".

Leave you alone? As in, we should not have an opinion of a pure shit show? And dude, I'm a centrist who leans right. I hate SJW and PC crap. So yes, not everyone who hates on Franxx is a leftist.

I never said anything about having or not an opinion on Darling in the Franxx, or Sword Art Online, or Charlotte, or Trinity Seven (the last ones are the shows that I hate the most). I said that you and your minions should stop invading our only reduct where we can talk peacefully about Darling in the Franxx, you're not contributing anything to the discourse, not even SAO-haters are that content-less in their hate like y'all.

I don't come to Trinity Seven nor Charlotte forums to shit on both animes, I may express a negative opinion here and there, but I respect the privacy of talking alone of Trinity Seven and Charlotte fans, something you're not doing with us Darling in the Franxx in our very own forum. This is not Anime Discussion, this is the very personal Darling in the Franxx forum.

And also congrats for at least being in the right side of politics.

Naxrrhid said:
tlato_but said:
I believe in free speech by the way, but I also believe that a balance of opinions should be made, you literally give thumbs up to negative reviews of Franxx, so do I with the positive reviews of Darling in the Franxx. If you wanna shit on a review, then you shouldn't do a review at all, there's no work invested, no explanation of the points that the MAL blueprints put, no consideration of other variables, just a regurgiation of the shit you made to keep Darling banished in a dungeon where it was banished.

Again....., top reviews are community driven. Therefore if the MAJORITY of the viewers agree with a review, they will upvote it. So the majority of people agreed that Franxx was poo poo, and voted reviews that reflected the voice in their kokoro. Like, nothing needs to change.

Yes, it needs to change according to the actual rating of Darling in the Franxx, which currently it's a 7,61. Average all the Top-4 and the mean will be below 4 if I'm correct. Reviews should be sustained with a certain basis theory on why Darling is a great/good/average/bad/shit anime, not spewing your bs. like you're doing. You haven't even mentioned to me why Darling in the Franxx is an actual "poo poo", I did it by the way.

Or should I mention to you the actual mean of the Top-4 reviews of the animes that I mentioned to you above? Of Blend S? Or Net-juu no Susume? Or Wotakoi? Or Sora Yori? Or Slow Start? All of them have actual and correct reviews on why those series are what they are, not extremely negative bias that I saw here in the Top-4 of Darling. So should be start talking about the exceptionality of Darling in the Franxx in their concentrated hate for the anime?

Naxrrhid said:
......"keep Darling banished in a dungeon where it was banished."

Legit made me chuckle

It's funny because it's true, you're not letting having positive opinions on the series. You keep pushing us to a corner where we can't express our opinions. Do you think it's normal. I was attacked a lot of times in other forums just because I like Darling in the Franxx. You say that you're a right-winger who hates SJW and PC, you (we actually) should know what actually it's online persecution. That's also a reason that I sympathise with the SAO fans.

Naxrrhid said:
tlato_but said:
I guess that's even more ignorance and lack education from yourself because in Latin America, which is a few hours from your belowed country, we DO use the comma as a separation of decimals. Guess I can't expect too much education from non-ABC countries.

I had no idea that was actually a thing, so I will give you that that was ignorance on my part. I just assumed everywhere in the world adapted to the scientific standards for numbers. If only there was an International Organization for Standardization (ISO) that governed this stuff. Oh well....., hopefully all the leading scientist and all round smart people in the world can come up with something.

There was an actual resolution in 2003 by the IBWM that sanctioned that both, the comma and the dot are correct in the use for decimal separation:
https://www.bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Resol22CGPM-EN.pdf
tlato_butDec 5, 2018 9:22 PM
Dec 7, 2018 2:15 PM

Jun 2017
burntphoenix said:
I do not recall nearly as much hate back then before the halfway point. Most of the reviews still gave it a 7 or 8 when I last checked around episode 14 or so. I've seen a ton of people change their scores due to the ending.

I don't think so. I remember checking out the top reviews after episode 15 aired and was surprised to see most of the reviews being negative, most of them nitpicking on its drama, episodic structure for a mecha show or using subjective opinions as objective truths and filled with buzzwords which I didn't really consider anything other than snobby elitism back then. I remember seeing one positive reviewer in the top and he has not updated his review even after the show has ended.

And even before the ending people have started to complain about the show and its writing decisions too. First was with how they ended all the conflict between the MCs and the rest of the cast with a swift time skip but even back then I didn't think people really bothered about it much back then. The diabolus ex machina trope and space escalation when the show only had 4 episodes left was another point people heavily criticised as well and when opinions started to change to the opposite side, even amongst the fans who gave it a positive review before. The ending may have been a final nail in the coffin. 'This was steaming shit from the start' people started to became louder and more obnoxious now as most of the fanbase now has a more ambivalent feeling towards the show and didn't want to confront anyone online with hours long comments wars over a show they had a love-hate relationship to begin with. Its reputation, I would say is somewhat a combination of SAO and Guilty Crown.

Well I remember once reading on 4chan that there are 3 sins an anime can do- become popular, make writing decisions that even hard core fans wouldn't want and deliver an ending that most of the fans hate. Average forgettable shows only does one of them, good shows commit any 2 of them and terrible shows commit all three of them. Darling in the Franxx in my personel observation has committed all three of them. I can kind of understand why its so hated now.
AriavartanDec 7, 2018 2:41 PM
Dec 8, 2018 11:55 AM

Oct 2012
Just finished watching the series.

I can see why ppl compared to neon genesis evangelion.

Its an alright anime. the ending left much to be desired i guess. BUt i always knew it would be an ending like that

i see talk of hope of a season 2. but i just dont see it.
Dec 8, 2018 4:55 PM
Nov 2018
Yeah i feel the same, i mean was it really good? No at least not the last part though i enjoyed the first part. but 1/10 means your comparing this show to somthing like Pupa or boku no pico which is way to harsh. The animatiion was good at part and it had solid ops and eds (i love the EDs so much) even if you thought it was bad, 1/10 is too harsh.
Dec 8, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2017
Can't believe this thread is still alive after revealing the truth about Darling and why it has been constantly hated. Guess MAL still cares about DitF fans like me.

Ariavartan said:
I don't think so. I remember checking out the top reviews after episode 15 aired and was surprised to see most of the reviews being negative, most of them nitpicking on its drama, episodic structure for a mecha show or using subjective opinions as objective truths and filled with buzzwords which I didn't really consider anything other than snobby elitism back then. I remember seeing one positive reviewer in the top and he has not updated his review even after the show has ended.

At least we're on the same boat as the Top-4 reviews of Darling in the Franxx are extremely negative, devoid of any facts and nitpicking every single negative trace of the show. Similar to ANN as I posted above.

Note that those values are not entirely correct, especially the first ones, they're mostly speculative from what I remembered from each of those 6 shows.

Ariavartan said:
And even before the ending people have started to complain about the show and its writing decisions too. First was with how they ended all the conflict between the MCs and the rest of the cast with a swift time skip but even back then I didn't think people really bothered about it much back then. The diabolus ex machina trope and space escalation when the show only had 4 episodes left was another point people heavily criticised as well and when opinions started to change to the opposite side, even amongst the fans who gave it a positive review before. The ending may have been a final nail in the coffin. 'This was steaming shit from the start' people started to became louder and more obnoxious now as most of the fanbase now has a more ambivalent feeling towards the show and didn't want to confront anyone online with hours long comments wars over a show they had a love-hate relationship to begin with. Its reputation, I would say is somewhat a combination of SAO and Guilty Crown.

That's correct, and that's why I compared SAO with Darling. Have to watch Guilty Crown to have a more informed opinion there.

But there's a twist here, the Sword Art Online fandom is much more consolidated, because of its 7 years of age, and also they've got the benefit to get more positive media from a very strong arc this year called SAO: Alicization which is in an extremely high 8,14 for SAO standards, coupled with the entremesse of Ordinal Scale who also had very positive reviews, also by SAO standards.

The Darling in the Franxx fandom, or what it's left of it, we still care about the show, we still debate what happened and we do want changes for the future. We hope that the manga can change the negative parts, since you've mentioned Ep-15, I'd say Ep-18/19, I don't remember actually when they did arrested Kokoro and Mitsuru. Here comes the biggest problem that we can't express our positive opinions on the show, like if it were like a taboo to support Darling. I've mentioned before this here, also mentioned that we need a reform of the review system to avoid these kind of cases that can literally keep away potential fans, did you know that I was victim in that part with SAO?:

Which in fact here's the resume that I, as an avid Darling in the Franxx fan, felt when I voiced my opinion in favour of the anime:
tlato_but said:
Naxrrhid said:
......"keep Darling banished in a dungeon where it was banished."

Legit made me chuckle

It's funny because it's true, you're not letting having positive opinions on the series. You keep pushing us to a corner where we can't express our opinions. Do you think it's normal. I was attacked a lot of times in other forums just because I like Darling in the Franxx. You say that you're a right-winger who hates SJW and PC, you (we actually) should know what actually it's online persecution. That's also a reason that I sympathise with the SAO fans.

As you've mentioned above, go find an avid Darling fan who's willing to be attacked from every front possible, but don't count me.

Ariavartan said:
Well I remember once reading on 4chan that there are 3 sins an anime can do- become popular, make writing decisions that even hard core fans wouldn't want and deliver an ending that most of the fans hate. Average forgettable shows only does one of them, good shows commit any 2 of them and terrible shows commit all three of them. Darling in the Franxx in my personel observation has committed all three of them. I can kind of understand why its so hated now.

There's talks about a second season, by 2020 or 2021 by that matter. And many say that it'll have more connection with the manga, if they can branch out the anime since Ep-18 (Ep-15 for you), like the Oreimo way, there could be a rehabilitation of Darling in the possible future, similar to what is currently happening with SAO.
tlato_butDec 8, 2018 5:31 PM
Dec 11, 2018 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
People can't even explain why it's bad. They just repeat the same buzzwords. Clearly we haven't watched the same show.

Shame about future watchers that won't get to experience it first hand because the negative bias tainted the show's image.
Dec 11, 2018 7:14 PM

Jul 2017
lets just say it was good but it could have been much better,
lets go point by point
note: what you will be reading wrote by someone who acually enjoyed the show and gave it a 7 because enjoyement can blind you.
main characters:
that dude (what was his name again?) is lame af, he is your basic naive heoric lovely character that you see in pretty much every mediocore show out there.
zero two make up for it a little bit, its a good character k?

side characters:
ichigo, guro are the best of the bunch tho they are still not that good.
the annoying kid and the tsundere are generic af.
the girl with white hair is lowkey a fucking hoe, she literally left the fat guy for the other one for no good reason.
the fat guy is a pussy.
the glasses girl is apparently a lesbian, wow! why haven't we see any signs of that the whole fucking show untill she kissed ichigo? its just so random.

story:
umm,well, its all over the place,
its like they wanted to make it unpredictable so badly but they didn't have any good ideas,
some episodes had interesting stuff but they were completely irrelevent to the story,
example: the beach episode when they explored the ruins, that was really interesting but for some reason it feel like midway writing they said fuck it leave it like that and lets try something else.
the ending was the worst of it all, its a verry good example of what not to do,
they litterally ignored everything that the anime was building for, they shoved a bunch of new elements in our throats and it doesn't make fucking sence because the rout they went for needed atleast another season of building.

animation:
one of my biggest disappointements knowing that trigger can make some sick shit,
have you seen kill la kill? the fights were amazing and kept getting better as the story goes on.
for darling in the franxx it doesn't, they didn't even bother doing some good slowmo and shaking for impacts,
the choreography look like it was made by a 5 years old kid, its always everyone doing some generic fights agains't the minions before zero two and that guy come to kill the boss easily,
the side characters did help in some but they'r role is so insignificant.
in short, they didn't bother putting any effort in them.

again, i did enjoy the show but that doesn't mean i wont criticize it as it has to be.
if i didn't rate it based on enjoyement but rather on fair criticizm i'd give it a 3/10.
Dec 13, 2018 12:05 PM
Sep 2018
The thing is that people since the beginning shitted on Franxx. I remeber when it started airing, there was a guy on 4chan like this. And even if you say that this guy is not a representative of all the haters, you still had people who unironically posted this as an evidence that Franxx is a ripoff of EVA, so I guess you cant have escalators, front shots of mechas faces and legs, etc in anime nowdays, which is just.. fucking sad tbh.

I am not gonna say that the final arc didn't have Its issues, it did, just like everything has, but still it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be and it is still pretty good, great even. I remeber this conversation on reddit, where a guy was telling me how many plot holes and unfinished plot lines there were in the end, but when he gave me examples, it turned out that almost none of them were actually plot holes or were left unfinished.Here is the thread.

Then there are reviews here on MAL. The difference between the scores from top reviews and overall score by which the show is actually ranked is noticeable. Which should ring a bell that there is someting wierd going on. So let's taky a look at those negative reviews, and what is in them.

The first and top review by user -chronos. Well, it is a combiantion of vague criticism like "the plot is incosistent", "too much melodrama" and such. He doesn't provide any examples whatsoever, so you cant even debunk any of those. It is a very nice strategy, since if you use the most vague descriptions, the reader can think of the details for themselves. So combine this with overall negativity of the review and you have a beautiful way of discouraging potential viewers. And no, the argument "well he couldnt give examples, since that would be spoilers" becomes nonsensical, since you can still provide examples with minimal spoilers.

A second one is much more fun. I will only point out the parts to condense the whole post.
The reviewer, Yasaal, in the 3rd paragraph asks, why pilots have to be children, 2 times, and he assumes that it is because creator want to appeal to teens. I find this one particulary laughable, since there is so many animes with teens as main characters, yet I have never ever seen anyone pointing it out like a bad thing.

In the 5th paragraph he claims, that Zero Two has claimed the "deconstruciton" tag, ripped of from EVA. Let's overlook the fact that noone ever claimed anything like that about Franxx or 02, and if they did, the are wrong. Laughable thing is that it seems that using a deconstruction trope is now automatically ripping off EVA. You heard it folks, no anime can ever again use this trope, otherwise they are just a ripoff of EVA. Then there is the issue of calling Hiro "useless protagonist", even though he actually isn't one. That would mean he just sits around and let's others do everything for him, whch isn't true in the first episode itself, where he himself chooses to ride with Zero Two and saves the day.

In the 6th paragraph he says that Ichigo's VA has recieved death threats which is BS. It was actually people like the director who recieved them. Also it is kinda pointless to point it out, since death threats from the few fans have nothing to do with the quality of the show.

The 7th paragraph is also fun. Yasaal criticises Kokoro here, for her choice of wanting to be with someone she is actually attracted too, Mitsuru, and he simpliflies her whole reason for doing this, which he states that is "wanting to have a baby". This is such a stupid conclusion. The reason she became attracted to him was, because he had characters traits she admired, like assertivity, and not caring about what other people think (except Hiro). Also he states here that their erased memories were stored somewhere, even though that's factually not true. I mean it, I can find you a timestamp from ep 19, where it is stated that their memories are gone forever. Overall his whole hate about Kokoro, sound like something na incel would say.

9th paragraph is a wonderful example of what I hate about this review... it is a bunch of nonfactual BS. Here our reviewer states that what Ikuno did in ep 17, slapping Alpha, was never explained. But that is a lie. In the episode right after it is actually explained. She slapped him since she wanted to hide the fact, that she thought the same thing as him. You might think it is a stupid explanation, but it is an explanation nonetheless. And it is not like Yasaal misses this scene, he references it in the same fucking paragraph. You would either have to speedwatch it, or deliberetaly ignore it.

I will end this analysis with 15th paragraph, since this has dragged on long enough and it perfectly ilustrates my issue with this review. There is several questions, which author makes sound like they were never explained... except that is a lie.
Examples:
"What happened to her [Klaxxo princes] people, the Klaxosaurs?" answered in ep 21, they all merged with their own version of Franxxes
"Like when they're losing Papa and the others suddenly give the order to destroy Earth?" what he means here is most probably "Like when Papa is losing to others, and then he gives the order to destroy the Earth" since otherwise the sentence just doesnt make sense given the context. And that is answered in ep 20. Star Entity/Steriltzia Apus si too much of a threat to them, so they rather destroy it, than leave it the hands of Klaxxo princess.
"And Mitsuru’s reason for staying being “I wanna stay because I want to”? Even the dialogues took a huge hit and fell even further…" explained in ep 23, he wanted to stay because he wanted to care about preggy Kokoro. Like now you just have to be dumb on purpose to not understand that.
"Not to mention Zero Two eating Hiro through her teleport to Hiro fro Earth directly in front of Hiro and she eats him and takes him to the dream world only to play hard to get? " I dont even know wtf is he trying to say here, or actually I do, but the way it is written makes it sound like the author has been watching completely different anime, so let's just leave it as an example of good writing.
"FranXX tries to show us that adults are somewhat tyrants and displays the children’s “struggle” to gaining “independence” even though they're perfectly fine with their lives with no issues." yeah, I mean the adults only use children as fucking soldiers, that is not tyrannical at all. And yeah they were mostly fine with it, untill they found out that the dream of becoming adults themselves is just a lie, and that they will only ever be used as soldiers until they die in action, or are killed off by the adults for growing too old. You know, the usual things that people who aren't tyranical do, no biggie.
"For example why was the enemy VIRM all along?" because they invaded Earth? That is like asking why were Borg in Star Trek the bad guys.
"What was their purpose?" they were the extreme manifestation of what the show tried to show as bad.. total loss of individuality and lives worth living in exchange for immortality.
"Why does Hiro not care about the rest of Squad 13 who he's lived with all his life and why is he so attached to Zero Two despite the above problem? " This is partially untrue. He does care about them, it is just that none of them ever stood by him when he questionned society around them. That is where Zero Two comes in, since she was the first person he ever saw to fight the world around him, like he did. So he cares about her the most. More ep 15.
"How are the rejected people treated? What happens to them? " FUCKING REALLY???? they are killed off obviously!!!
" Why are teens chosen to pilot the FranXX? " they are much more easily controlled than adults??

The rest of the reviews are more or less the same.

The review from Krunchyman is also a lot of fun, because of this line: "For ease of reading, I have created a short list of instances that were copied, slightly altered, or outright stolen from other anime (this is not all-inclusive, as there are countless examples):", followed by the following examples:
"-The underground city bears resemblance to Tokyo-3 and the Geofront from Evangelion." yeah, except that city aint underground. Also what resemblance? the outside of the plantations is a dome and the inside of it doesnt resemble Geofront at all! There are no buldings hanging from the ceiling, no greenary and pyramid like in Geofront. Also while Geofront looks like a paradise, Plantations look like a lifeless dystopia. Talk about grasping at straws.
-The mysterious men/women in the white uniforms that have significant influence are rip-offs of SEELE from Evangelion."" yeah because having mysterious figures with significant influence is a no-no since EVA did it 20 years ago.
"-The launch sequences are essentially mirror images of Evangelion’s launch sequences (see a theme here)." yeaaaaaah no! Sequences in EVA were much longer than in Franxx, and Franxx isnt filled with so much technobable like EVA was, there is no elevator taking Franxxes to the surface like in EVA, there is no entry plug in Franxx... (see a theme here?)
"-There was some kind of testing that was being performed in the early episodes that paralleled the synchronization tests in Evangelion." nooope it didn't, and even if it did, it is more of a homage than rip off.
Next example was about TTGL, and since I havent watched it, I cant talk about that example so lets move on to the next one.
"-Episode 13 is a reverse retelling of Beauty and the Beast — in fact, the title of the episode is The Beast and the Prince (they’re not even attempting to disguise their intentions at this point)." not really, it is more like Little Mermaid (non-human girl wants to be with a human prince, so she makes a deal with a witch but later on it backfires). Also why is that a bad thing? Are we really criticising shows for using stories in them, which are similar to Little Mermaid, now? Or are we just grasping at straws again?

There is more, but they are on the same level of absurdity.

So here you have it folks. Most of the criticism of DarliFra in these reviews is either outright lies, or grasping at straws. And I didnt mention even half of it. Honestly I found it sad. There is legitimate criticism of DarliFra, as there is for everything, but most of what is out there is this bullshit. And the fact, that when you mention that you actually like Franxx, or try to defend it, you are met with insults or just vague criticisms without any examples whatsoever is just fucking sad.
milmittDec 16, 2018 11:18 AM
Dec 14, 2018 12:14 PM
Oct 2018
I'll try to make this quick, Darling in the Franxx very noticeably tries to copy themes from Evangelion and Gurren Lagann, but fails to capture the magic of either, although the combat animated fairly nicely.

I'm not quite sure why Ecchi isn't in the genres list. The show has about as much Action as Infinite Stratos, the plotline is garbage, and they focus an insane amount on lewd shots and fanservice. In my perspective, the primary genre of this show IS Ecchi.

Despite doing its best trying to be deep and establish meaningful relations, characters are overdramatic, glossed over, and fall into extremely common, predictable tropes and stereotypes. As a result, they just end up with a shallow fanservice show, because let's be honest, the only reason why anyone watches this is for 02 and the show relies on waifubaiting for its content.

Very disappointing release from Trigger which had some of the more unique and charming concepts in recent anime IMO, and Darling in the Franxx is just a generic show that panders to some of the most boring tropes in anime.

1/10
Dec 15, 2018 8:15 PM

Jun 2017
AlphaN00b said:
lagain, i did enjoy the show but that doesn't mean i wont criticize it as it has to be.
if i didn't rate it based on enjoyement but rather on fair criticizm i'd give it a 3/10.

You don't have to try so hard to fit in. If you liked the show just say you like it. If you didn't like it just give that score you think it deserves and say you don't like it.

omoi11 said:
I'm not quite sure why Ecchi isn't in the genres list. The show has about as much Action as Infinite Stratos, the plotline is garbage, and they focus an insane amount on lewd shots and fanservice. In my perspective, the primary genre of this show IS Ecchi.

Very disappointing release from Trigger which had some of the more unique and charming concepts in recent anime IMO, and Darling in the Franxx is just a generic show that panders to some of the most boring tropes in anime.

It has even less fanservice than Gurren Lagann so I don't understand what you are complaining. Also it is not a Trigger anime despite people memeing it to be one.
AriavartanDec 16, 2018 10:05 AM
Dec 15, 2018 9:15 PM

Jun 2017
tlato_but said:
At least we're on the same boat as the Top-4 reviews of Darling in the Franxx are extremely negative, devoid of any facts and nitpicking every single negative trace of the show. Similar to ANN as I posted above.

Review systems are not meant to be perfect. Sites like MAL are extremely community driven. So even if a show is good, you can still see 1/10 ratings spammed by fans of another show because they don't like it when it overtakes theirs like how Gintama and FMA fans spam 1/10 reviews whenever their shows get overtaken by another show. Similarly a completely average and forgettable anime will get more positive reviews and ratings because it has a niche but dedicated viewership while vast majority won't even bother watching it(Just go check this video showing how MAL is biased and promotes completely forgettable mediocre anime as better than the popular shows because of this in here www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KjhptQmkRY). While popular franchises like Naruto and SAO attracts hatred and scathing undeserving reviews.

But on the other side if we have critic based rating systems then its subject to the person's own biases and opinions.

tlato_but said:
That's correct, and that's why I compared SAO with Darling. Have to watch Guilty Crown to have a more informed opinion there.

Well its another show that despite the fans telling to shut the fuck up and drop the show already, the critics and haters can't seem to and come in every discussion thread and tell the fans how bad it is and what terrible people they are for liking it, atleast back when it aired and was popular, now that most have forgotten it, people are more inclined to forgive it. Also the reaction to both their ending arcs(https://ibb.co/qxc6stK) are similar.

tlato_but said:
There's talks about a second season, by 2020 or 2021 by that matter. And many say that it'll have more connection with the manga, if they can branch out the anime since Ep-18 (Ep-15 for you), like the Oreimo way, there could be a rehabilitation of Darling in the possible future, similar to what is currently happening with SAO.

Nah, I don't think there will be another season. It has killed off all the characters and destroyed the whole setting by the end. It only screams one thing from the creators-"I DON'T WANT TO WORK ON THIS SHIT ANYMORE!".
AriavartanDec 16, 2018 10:30 AM
Dec 16, 2018 4:46 AM
Sep 2018
omoi11 said:
I'll try to make this quick, Darling in the Franxx very noticeably tries to copy themes from Evangelion and Gurren Lagann, but fails to capture the magic of either, although the combat animated fairly nicely.

Despite doing its best trying to be deep and establish meaningful relations, characters are overdramatic, glossed over, and fall into extremely common, predictable tropes and stereotypes. As a result, they just end up with a shallow fanservice show, because let's be honest, the only reason why anyone watches this is for 02 and the show relies on waifubaiting for its content.

1/10

I dont know how about TTGL since I didnt watch it, but Franxx doesnt try to copy themes of Evangelion.

Evangelion is about:
> Realising your self-worth. That you can actually love yourself, inspite of everything.
> Hedgehog's dilemma, about how intimacy between people will inevitably cause pain, but it is still worth it.

Franxx is about:
> What humanity is. How it is the about the small things in life, the tears you shed, and relationships between people.
> The Jian bird. How it is good to lean on other people, and how you can thanks to that do things, you otherwise would be unable to do.

Sure, there are also other themes as well and some might be similar, but in the end they are handled differently.

Also for how long did you watch the show? Beacause even though the fanservice was plentifull in the beginning, from ep 9 forward it was rather scarce.

And yes, there are people who watched the show only for Zero Two, but there are also people who watched it for more than her, since this show actually isn't as bad as you think and make it out to be.
milmittDec 16, 2018 5:09 AM
Dec 16, 2018 8:38 PM

Oct 2017
omoi11 said:

Oh, let's start talking about the same buzzanimes called Neon Genesis Evangelion and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it's always the same, always the same, as if it's actually a forbidden rule that Darling in the Franxx is explicitly forbidden to get inspired by TTGL and NGE.

Says the person that literally doesn't have any of those anime on their list to make a comparison, as I made a review of DarliFra, I explicitly mentioned that I never based my review on Evangelion or Gurren Lagann because I haven't watched it. Oh, by the way, you didn't even watched Darling, I have no proof on MAL.

I can also talk that many modern CGDGT are actually inspired by the lax atmosphere of K-On and the yuri-baiting of Yuru Yuri. Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san is actually a weird mix of Gabriel Dropout, but with a culture clash of Demi-chan wa Kataritai. Harukana Receive is extremely close to Keijo! in the sense of the constant use of fanservice, but HR is much more subdued. Himouto Umaru-chan is very close to Oreimo with a very well behaved onii-chan and an annoyingly cute and perfect imouto.

See that I can also play the game?

omoi11 said:

Let's also make a campaign to get Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha nominated as an ecchi anime, did you watched Vivid? Well, that's the same quantity of fanservice present in Darling in the Franxx, a beach/onsen episode with a pair of naked shots, and that's it.

Basically, you're expanding the definition of ecchi. Oh, by the way, let's expand the ecchi genre tag for all the animes that feature at least a beach/onsen episode.

omoi11 said:

1/10

As if generic is a mortal sin that shouldn't even be repeated, Blend S is generic as F. and nobody complains about that, Zero no Tsukaima is generic ecchi harem romance as F. and nobody complains about it, Kiniro Mosaic is a generic cute-girls-doing-cute-things as F. and still nobody cares about it. So why should everyone care about Darling in the Franxx being a "generic" mecha as F? Double standard of people who were brainwashed by the neo-marxist press like ANN that Darling in the Franxx is a s. anime like you're proposing.

Why, person who only votes with the extremes of the ranking, should even dare to speak to more complete fans or not, while you even haven't watched modern Trigger like Kill la Kill or Little Witch Academia.
Dec 19, 2018 3:08 AM

May 2015
It definitely doesn't deserve the really low scores, it's not the best Anime ever by any means but it's certainly not the worst either.

I didn't even think the ending was that bad, it's a 7-8/10 not a 1 or 2.
Dec 30, 2018 12:49 AM

Dec 2008
I agree. I remember when it first aired and had great reviews but i always wait till a series is finished before i start it. I finally started this month and finished it earlier today. To my surprise the average score had fallen quite a bit. From the beginning to the end you can see what to expect from the show. I wasn't surprised by too may things at all. Did think that that redhead kid was an annoying crybaby though. Everything else seemed pretty expected with not much surprise but it wasn't an awful show at all. Seeing the score before watching the show though had me waiting for whatever awful thing happens for the show to just drop off like that. I waited all the way until the last episode. Nothing happened that was so awful like the animation turned into new Berserk or something. There's something wrong with people. I gave it a 7 because it was alright.I keep seeing people say "it was good up until XX episode then it got so awful". I don't get that. the tone was pretty consistent in being decent, not amazing, not awful, just decent. I skimmed through a bunch of the reviews on the page to see what their problems were with the show but it's all nonsense. Like they're literally all describing shows they have on their list themselves, but give this show a 1/10. It' makes absolutely no sense. All just pushing people away from a decent show for whatever agenda they are pushing. I really don't get why there's a "Helpful" button but not a "Not Helpful" button. Having one would be... helpful, but then again it'd be abused by the same people who hate on everything for no real reason.

I agree with tlato_but on a few things. I don't read up on Anime news or anything though as i just don't care.
Jan 2, 2019 3:57 PM

Nov 2018
Yeah, I was expecting the ending to be a complete mess after everything I heard. But aside from the plot twist towards the end coming out of freaking nowhere, the show wrapped up alright, albeit somewhat rushed.
Jan 5, 2019 11:10 PM
Apr 2017
It's a trash that's not even enjoyable
Jan 27, 2019 10:19 PM
Nov 2018
The ending and the general plot is in fact a complete trainwreck. You're right though that they did a good job with the characters and had something interesting there before they jumped off a cliff. It's a solid 7 at least I think and maybe even an 8 if you liked the character story enough.

Is it a classic? mnrrn No but might get a rewatch sometime later. It's one of the more interesting shows lately in some rather generic seasons.

But they screwed up big with the large picture plot. I kinda hope the manga does its own thing instead.
Jan 29, 2019 11:02 PM
Nov 2013
It's quite terrible tbh. Maybe not as bad as some of those reviews say but I was rolling my eyes nonstop during the 16 episodes. There are so many elements that are stolen and half-heartedly done, there are too many boring characters (02 was the only interesting in the beginning but it was ruined as well with fanservice and cliche character development) and none threatening fights. The show was just so bland and I'm not sure if it ever tried to please anyone but horny teenagers.
Jan 30, 2019 3:56 AM

Apr 2018
For as far as I know, MAL has always been like this. There's only like... 10 modern anime that have a score greater than 7 (steins;gate, for example). MAL is a pretty critical website that attempts to find the negative in everything, so, best advice is to not pay attention to the reviews.
Jan 31, 2019 5:09 PM

Dec 2014
It's pretty bad, yo. I'm on episode 18 and this is some seriously cringey shit.

The first 15 episodes overall are okay. Some episodes are pretty bad, some are pretty good. But starting at episode 16 it does a complete nosedive. They shove in all this crap about making babies and getting married and it's the funniest thing ever. One of the characters basically just got cucked and it's supposed to be an emotional moment. It's awful lol.

I'm aware not everyone cares about story structure or characterization, but that's exactly why a lot of people (including myself if you can't tell) think it's bad. We aren't rating it bad because we're big mean dummies like this guy seems to think:

dc22 said:
People can't even explain why it's bad. They just repeat the same buzzwords. Clearly we haven't watched the same show.

Shame about future watchers that won't get to experience it first hand because the negative bias tainted the show's image.

It's just really poorly written, has too many stupid ideas shoved into it, and gets really stupid at episode 16.
Jan 31, 2019 5:28 PM
Jul 2015
It is really bad. Couldnt get past the first episode.
Feb 1, 2019 11:26 AM

Oct 2017
I watched until episode 8 and stopped for unrelated reasons but now i'm back at it, I hope it improves a bit after that because it's a bit sluggish, Zero Two really is THE star of the show and overshadows everyone but let's hope some of the other characters wll stand out a bit more.
Feb 3, 2019 2:11 PM
Jan 2018
dc22 said:

It's got terrible writing overall. Hiro is generic from the get go, Zero Two was interesting until the second half where they completely fail with her development and she loses the personality she had, it had the worst kind of fanservice imaginable romantic fanservice, Ichigo was essentially a plot device, it throws out almost all of the world building from the first half in favour of aliens the rest is then retconned by the final scene, most of the overall cast were boring as hell with no solid development. It was an absolute trainwreck.
Feb 4, 2019 3:52 AM

Oct 2013
Animaniaig said:
dc22 said:

It's got terrible writing overall. Hiro is generic from the get go, Zero Two was interesting until the second half where they completely fail with her development and she loses the personality she had, it had the worst kind of fanservice imaginable romantic fanservice, Ichigo was essentially a plot device, it throws out almost all of the world building from the first half in favour of aliens the rest is then retconned by the final scene, most of the overall cast were boring as hell with no solid development. It was an absolute trainwreck.

Hiro is generic and so is Zero Two, but the rest of the cast is brilliantly developed. Aliens was the plot from the get go, you just didn't get it.
Feb 11, 2019 2:05 PM

Aug 2018
When i was watching evangelion youtube videos, i watched too manys comment of how darling in the franxx is too much better than evangelion or it was the shittiest thing in the universe and i don't think this soo, the anime can be comparate to evangelion in his history or how the scy-fi is aplicated but in terms of personality is too much different. The anime as a romance, how the characters share on the show, the relationship of zero two and hiro took me too deeper and it was good and satisfacing moment while i was watching but the fanservice, the history and his explanation dont was not convinced me, it leaves much to be desired as a drama show. In my personal opinion this serie had to much failures but in spite of that i was captivated, it caught me and i love thot.
Feb 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Jan 2013
The show was already hated by the second episode (that the most viewers - including me, dropped it already), were the notorious ''sex-metaphor'' was first introduced (yes, I'm also ranting about the ''doggie style piloting'', lol), so no matter how much the show was improved in later episodes (despite the series writing remaining bad) the damage it did to its reputation was already disastrous, since no one could had taken it seriously anymore (aside the fact of being similar to so MANY previous mecha shows)!

Note:
If you want to know more about the co-called ''sex metaphor'', and why critics make so fuss about it, you can check in animenewsnetwork review about the first two episodes (and the reviews of all episodes in general about all those stuff that the show did wrong):
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/darling-in-the-franxx/episodes-1-2/.126720
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19850
Feb 14, 2019 7:46 PM

Dec 2014
giannis85 said:
The show was already hated by the second episode (that the most viewers - including me, dropped it already), were the notorious ''sex-metaphor'' was first introduced (yes, I'm also ranting about the ''doggie style piloting'', lol), so no matter how much the show was improved in later episodes (despite the series writing remaining bad) the damage it did to its reputation was already disastrous, since no one could had taken it seriously anymore (aside the fact of being similar to so MANY previous mecha shows)!

That's another problem I forgot to mention. Most of the designs for the Franxx are really stupid. The piloting mechanism is easily the dumbest thing in the show and the only dumber piloting system I can think of is the one from the episode "The Entity" of South Park. And that was a joke!

Plus, the Franxx having faces and voices confused me too. What's the point? It's a waste of resources to give them faces. And why would the robots need to speak out loud? They can communicate to each other through the cockpit via some kind of comms system. You could argue the external speaker is a backup in case the comm system malfunctions, but making the mouths match what they're saying is stupid lmao. There's no tactical benefit to the feature at all.
Feb 14, 2019 11:21 PM

Jan 2013
DiscoMilf said:
Plus, the Franxx having faces and voices confused me too. What's the point? It's a waste of resources to give them faces. And why would the robots need to speak out loud? They can communicate to each other through the cockpit via some kind of comms system. You could argue the external speaker is a backup in case the comm system malfunctions, but making the mouths match what they're saying is stupid lmao. There's no tactical benefit to the feature at all.

Yes, it was stupid and pointless! Perhaps the creators thought that by making it more ''cartoonish'' it will be more funny and more accessible to the younger viewers, but they make it so funny that we the adults couldn't even laugh with it! I understand the ''artistic value'' of that choice (I also enjoyed Gurren Laggan's and Killa la Kill's ''cartoonish'' nature, btw), but I seen no point when it doesn't affect the plot at all (especially in a show that it tries so hard to convince us to take it seriously)! And why the mecha's bodies, voices and faces match only the female pilot? Isn't the male pilot the one in charge? Now, Zorome was voiced his mecha in a few occasions, but hearing his voice in a body like Miku's, wasn't funny either, lol!
giannis85Feb 14, 2019 11:25 PM
Feb 16, 2019 5:15 AM

May 2016
Honestly, just glad it's over so i don't have to deal with is more fandom nightmares every week, ugh.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

597 by akiramado19 »»
Apr 17, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

328 by Aazoka »»
Apr 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

565 by otakuanity »»
Mar 29, 12:11 AM

» How do we feel about this one years later? ( 1 2 3 )

sorames - Jun 10, 2023

114 by sunatsf »»
Mar 26, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

638 by SibunaC »»
Mar 4, 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.