Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 10 Discussion

Dec 4, 2:33 PM

AnotherGuy said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-if this anime was good in the beggining it should be now too.

-rimuru has goals, the principal it's build a nation, and the other it's encounter leon, without mentioning that now he has that problem with the orc army and this majin's.

In the beginning we were discovering the world along the protagonist, learning his powers and such. Now we're just being introduced to new characters every episode and all we get to see is the boring village setting. There's no worldbuilding, no further characterization of the existing characters. For all I know these ogres will be just as relevant to the plot as the individual adventurers, dwarves, wolves and goblins before them.

Again, we know Rimuru wants to build the village up into something bigger, but why? What is his ultimate goal with this?
He also says he wants to meet that one demon lord, but what steps is he taking to achieve that? We as the audience know that the plot will eventually bring the two together, but as far as Rimuru knows this will never happen.

And the orc army is just another problem that was thrown at the MC, like the Ifrit and the wolf attack. None of these events were consequence of Rimuru's actions. He just reacts to these things when they happen because he happened to be there and he's such a nice guy. We're at episode 10 and he's yet to do anything to move the plot forward. So far he's just going along with things, which is strange for someone with so much power.

In contrast, look at Overlord's Main Character, who is in a very similar situation as Rimuru. He sends his minions across the world to gather information and artifacts. He works under different aliases to gain influence with different factions. He doesn't help people for free. You never see him iddle, just sitting on his fortress waiting for his enemies to come (except that one time, but even then it was part of his plan). He shapes the world around him. Granted, he's an evil character, but there's nothing wrong with having a little ambition. Even the MC of Log Horizon, who was a good person, had schemes of his own.

As it stands I can't give this show a higher score than Log Horizon or Overlord season 1, which means a 7 or lower.

First off, you are comparing two "finished" series with an on-going one in the middle of an arc which is complete non-sense.

Pacing wise EP10 of Slime is the equivalent of EP5 of Overlord S1, i.e. the beginning of LN vol. 2. Also Rimuru's team, unlike Ainz, has no access to an already "complete" base like Nazarick (or a complete "maxed" team of subordinates for that matter), neither to a functioning player city with working guildrooms like Akiba in Log Horizon.

Rimuru's group also consists mostly of monsters and is isolated from the civilized society. Before gaining a human form and discovering the magic suppression aspect of the mask, Rimuru didn't even have a way to go to human lands without immdietly becoming a subjugation target of adventurers, unlike Ainz's group who had various subordinates who can disguise themselves as humans or are skilled at stealth, as well as his own magic armor disguise.

That's why Rimuru has to build up his own ressources first before he can get anything done.

Also the big chaos in the forest just illustrates how much of an impact Veldora's disappearence has. A big taboo zone that monsters and humans alike feared suddenly isn't scary anymore. OF COURSE it creates a big uproar, escpacially since no one other than Rimuru himself is aware of the reason for that. I mean just imagine it from the perspective of others: A big mythical sealed dragon just disappears one day without any trace and no one has an idea why. The big guns naturally would make their moves in response. If you paid attention you'd notice the "odd" detail that the Orcs have possession of an unnaturally high amount of plate armor they shouldn't have, which means they aren't just a "random Orc horde that does Orc horde things", but are rather influenced by someone with enough money or power to supply the Orcs with so much armor.

So the only thing that wasn't directly caused by Rimuru's actions was the whole thing with Ifrit, as she was appearently going to pass by that area anyway to find Leon, so that was probably unrelated to Veldora's disappearence.

Dec 4, 3:58 PM

Grey-Zone said:
First off, you are comparing two "finished" series with an on-going one in the middle of an arc which is complete non-sense.

Pacing wise EP10 of Slime is the equivalent of EP5 of Overlord S1

I don't think it's unfair to compare this show to a "complete" series, specially because most series have already reached the climax of an arc by episode 10. This show hasn't had anything like that yet.

You might be right and the pacing is what's off here, but then this was the production's fault and doesn't exempt the show from my criticisms. I haven't read the LN so I can only go by the anime, and the anime has definetely been taking its time with plot development. Episodes 9 and 10, for example, could've been made into a single episode and not much would be lost.

And I know Rimuru doesn't have access to the resources Ainz and Shiroe had and therefore couldn't do the same things they did, but that wasn't my point. My point is that Rimuru isn't trying to do anything. He's just waiting, basically. It's never stated that he wants to gather allies to then go out into the world searching for the demon lord, and just building a city in the middle of the forest and waiting for him to show up seems really stupid. We, the audience, know that even if he justs sits there the enemies will eventually show up, but HE doesn't know that.

Dec 4, 5:15 PM

AnotherGuy said:
I don't think it's unfair to compare this show to a "complete" series, specially because most series have already reached the climax of an arc by episode 10. This show hasn't had anything like that yet.

You might be right and the pacing is what's off here, but then this was the production's fault and doesn't exempt the show from my criticisms. I haven't read the LN so I can only go by the anime, and the anime has definetely been taking its time with plot development. Episodes 9 and 10, for example, could've been made into a single episode and not much would be lost.

I wouldn't take rushed anime adaptations of LNs which skip quite a bit of content as the "correct" standard, escpacially since this series is straight up two-cour, but maybe that's just me.

AnotherGuy said:
And I know Rimuru doesn't have access to the resources Ainz and Shiroe had and therefore couldn't do the same things they did, but that wasn't my point. My point is that Rimuru isn't trying to do anything. He's just waiting, basically. It's never stated that he wants to gather allies to then go out into the world searching for the demon lord, and just building a city in the middle of the forest and waiting for him to show up seems really stupid. We, the audience, know that even if he justs sits there the enemies will eventually show up, but HE doesn't know that.

The village is still BEING BUILT and even had to be restarted because of the Ifrit incident causing most of it to go poof in ashes. Why in hell's name would Rimuru go on a long-term expedition before the village is even finished? That makes no sense at all. There's also the fact that Rimuru's existence in the village is neccessary because he is by far the strongest there and it wouldn't be funny if everyone just gone and died during the current battle for surpremacy in the forest (and yes, Rimuru knows because Great Sage told him in EP6 about how unevolved Goblins will die during during this battle for supremacy) while Rimuru is far away with a small expedition team and I don't think the Ogres are the only ones who could have been a danger if Rimuru was gone.

You make it sound like this series has to, for some reason, conform to some template of how things have to progress, even if it makes no sense in-universe. I don't really get what you even want to say here.
Modified by Grey-Zone, Dec 4, 5:28 PM

Dec 4, 6:10 PM

Grey-Zone said:

You make it sound like this series has to, for some reason, conform to some template of how things have to progress, even if it makes no sense in-universe. I don't really get what you even want to say here.

All I'm saying, since my first post, is that the MC not doing anything other than building and protecting the village is making the show unappealing to me personally, even if it makes sense for him to do so. Someone mentioned that building the village was a means to an end, that he's planning to gather allies and such to go after the demon lord, but right now I just don't see it. It seems the MC is just helping the village because he's a nice guy and that's all.

It's been 10 episodes already, I wish something would happen to move the plot foward, cause right now I'm more engaged in this conversation than on the anime itself.

(By the way, just realized that the worst part of Overlord by FAR was the portion they spent with the goblins on the village. Maybe I just don't like goblins and villages?)
Modified by AnotherGuy, Dec 4, 6:18 PM

Dec 4, 7:10 PM

AnotherGuy said:
All I'm saying, since my first post, is that the MC not doing anything other than building and protecting the village is making the show unappealing to me personally, even if it makes sense for him to do so. Someone mentioned that building the village was a means to an end, that he's planning to gather allies and such to go after the demon lord, but right now I just don't see it. It seems the MC is just helping the village because he's a nice guy and that's all.

It's been 10 episodes already, I wish something would happen to move the plot foward, cause right now I'm more engaged in this conversation than on the anime itself.

Fair enough. This part is indeed a bit slow, but it will pick up in the upcoming episodes.

Do keep in mind though that, while never directly saying it, Rimuru actually kind of enjoys being "the boss" of his own village. He hinted at it back in the elven bar when he mentioned how great it feels to be "waited upon" instead of having to be the one who keeps attention on the smallest details when a big shot was around for a business meeting in his past life. He even dumps the work on uh, I mean "delegates the work to" his new underlings immidietly after establishing the basic groundwork, so why should he leave behind that one thing he could call a "home" right now?

"Show, don't tell" as they say.

Also unlike many other protagonists in similar situations, Rimuru, doesn't show any of that annoying "OMG, no! Don't bow to me, I want us to be equal friends!" or any such BS. It's so cringy when I see other protagonists act like that, so I am glad that Rimuru simply accepts his new position fully despite initially only putting up a show. I mean Kaijin (and the three brothers) kind of gave up everything he (and they) had back home to go with Rimuru, so if he left him (and them) behind now that wouldn't just be "not nice" or even "mean" but rather something only a complete scumbag would do.

Do keep in mind though that in general, for the entire series, Rimuru himself doesn't get that many fighting scenes for himself. His subordinates also get their battles, either because Rimuru isn't present at a certain location at a certain time, or because Rimuru let's someone else other than himself get some live fighting experience, or because his subordinates insist that the opponent is not worthy enough to face Rimuru personally. I would go as far as to say that it's, infact, NOT an action-heavy series. Fights do happen, but there will be quite a bit of diplomacy and politics in this series as well. This is NOT a heated battle shounen series where every little conflict of interest immidietly leads to a bloody life-or-death battle.

AnotherGuy said:
(By the way, just realized that the worst part of Overlord by FAR was the portion they spent with the goblins on the village. Maybe I just don't like goblins and villages?)

That might be because the "everyday life of Enri and Niphrea in Carne village" parts were from LN vol. 8, which was a "side-story" slice-of-life (or is it slice-of-undead in Ainz's case?) volume that showed us the everyday life of Nazarick (S3-EP1 and S3-EP4, quite rushed) and Carne Village. The anime actually cut out some good stuff like Momon's perspective of Enri's visit to E-Rantel (the LN showed us the same event twice from two perspectives) and what he did in the adventurer guild that caused the receptionist to beg Enri for the request details, which is a bit of a shame.
Modified by Grey-Zone, Dec 4, 7:33 PM

Dec 4, 11:42 PM

"but why does he do this?"

Because, idk, he wants to? Because it's practical? Characters don't always need big, grand motivations to do things.

Anyway, episode was great and I'm hoping this leads to some epic total warfare against the pigman army.

Dec 5, 1:08 AM
AnotherGuy said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-if this anime was good in the beggining it should be now too.

-rimuru has goals, the principal it's build a nation, and the other it's encounter leon, without mentioning that now he has that problem with the orc army and this majin's.

In the beginning we were discovering the world along the protagonist, learning his powers and such. Now we're just being introduced to new characters every episode and all we get to see is the boring village setting. There's no worldbuilding, no further characterization of the existing characters. For all I know these ogres will be just as relevant to the plot as the individual adventurers, dwarves, wolves and goblins before them.

Again, we know Rimuru wants to build the village up into something bigger, but why? What is his ultimate goal with this?
He also says he wants to meet that one demon lord, but what steps is he taking to achieve that? We as the audience know that the plot will eventually bring the two together, but as far as Rimuru knows this will never happen.

And the orc army is just another problem that was thrown at the MC, like the Ifrit and the wolf attack. None of these events were consequence of Rimuru's actions. He just reacts to these things when they happen because he happened to be there and he's such a nice guy. We're at episode 10 and he's yet to do anything to move the plot forward. So far he's just going along with things, which is strange for someone with so much power.

In contrast, look at Overlord's Main Character, who is in a very similar situation as Rimuru. He sends his minions across the world to gather information and artifacts. He works under different aliases to gain influence with different factions. He doesn't help people for free. You never see him iddle, just sitting on his fortress waiting for his enemies to come (except that one time, but even then it was part of his plan). He shapes the world around him. Granted, he's an evil character, but there's nothing wrong with having a little ambition. Even the MC of Log Horizon, who was a good person, had schemes of his own.

As it stands I can't give this show a higher score than Log Horizon or Overlord season 1, which means a 7 or lower.

I like to point out that orc and the wolf attack is a direct consequence to rimiru actions . As he swallowed veldora was the one that keept the forest in check and stopped the countries from either side of the forest from fighting and scared the monsters as well.

The orc part will be linked later on.
Rimuru had nothing to do with infirt don't see why he should have. Infirt was fighting to to gain control even before he was even born in the world.

He want to build a nation not simply a village. It's so that he can basically live in world peacefully with other monsters. That will start to be in play after the orc.

Basically the means he needs to go to a human city(He can't just walk into one) make pacts with other nations and meet demons lords etc pretty much happen after the orc lord. the outcome of the orc arc is basically what moves the plot forward even though new characters come in , old ones show up as well.

unfortunately i dont think the anime will get to the part where he will go to the human city for the first time as the anime wont be going past the manga.

and for the question from your other post about how rimuru has or regans so much magic mana part of the reason is because he was named by veldora yes , but its also due to the fact he was born in a cave where veldoras mana was leaking out for 300 years which caused the monsters in their to mutate they may have been easy for rimuru to defeat but for an average adventurer they will have a tough time which is why no one went into that cave due to that reason plus a dragon is sealed inside it .

Great Sage analyzed and greatly streamlined and improved the efficiency and safety of the naming ritual magic along with Veldora lending Rimeru his magical might in order to shoulder the massive strain caused by his habit of naming monsters left and right at this point in time Rimuru is very naive when it comes to naming.

Modified by Mattinator95, Dec 5, 3:48 AM

Dec 5, 3:40 AM

So Gabiru is Kazuma... NICE!

Dec 5, 4:36 AM

They turned into oni in the manga but idk what the difference between oni and kirin, oni sounds cooler tho :\

Also i love shuna ALOT more than shion, i find shion rather annoying in the manga, i hope shuna got more screen time in the anime since she got very limited screen time in the manga :\

Dec 5, 4:41 AM

This show has been pretty high in quality and never disappointed thus far if this continued in the same consistency, it might become one of the greatest shows, and probably, this is the greatest Isekai I've seen.
I feel like Rimuru is going to have the lizardmen under his rule as well, he's slowling building a force to be feared.
I thought the orc wouldn't have any fearsome presence, but he already made the sky fall, I've waited for the big battle.

Dec 5, 5:27 AM

All the Ogres received names and joined Rimuru as subordinates.
Shion is a babe alright.
The orc army might attack Lizardman village. So Gabiru was sent to seek help from Rimuru's village. He's an idiot though. Yeah an idiot.

Dec 5, 5:47 AM
Minar-kyun said:
Shion is a babe alright.
The orc army might attack Lizardman village. So Gabiru was sent to seek help from Rimuru's village. He's an idiot though. Yeah an idiot.

Gabiru was sent to seek help from goblin villages. The lizardmen don't know rimuru exist

Dec 5, 7:58 AM

Mattinator95 said:
Minar-kyun said:
Shion is a babe alright.

Gabiru was sent to seek help from goblin villages. The lizardmen don't know rimuru exist
I know right. I'm saying he's an idiot seeing his behaviour and how easily he can be manipulated.
And I've read the source material anyway. So I know what stuffs are going to happen.

Dec 5, 10:11 AM
Minar-kyun said:
Mattinator95 said:

I know right. I'm saying he's an idiot seeing his behaviour and how easily he can be manipulated.
And I've read the source material anyway. So I know what stuffs are going to happen.

Ahh ok yea I agree he's and idiot. Soon find out next episode if he's more of a douche then in the LN and Manga

Dec 5, 9:40 PM

Not as epic as the previous episode but this one was nice because the Orges facial structure became younger thanks to Rimuru-sama!
so we have Lizardment AGAIN huh!?
4/5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 6, 3:41 AM

LazyPanther said:
ThumbsUpBaby said:

Per manga and light novel, him gathering these allies is very crucial to what happens as the plot thickens. After this arc is when you'll see why he had to gather the likes of goblins, wolves, ogres, and other races that would be considered a spoiler. The pacing is right and this is how it should be.

I can pretty much be Ok with the pacing if there was something of significance going on (drama/comedy/action/romance/mystery). There is just this setup to something that is occasionally alluded to, in amidst of all the random dancing, eating, passing out, naming people.

You mentioned it is SOL style.
Slice of Life should have characters that you connect with. As of now almost all of characters can be described in 1 word each.

I think the problem is cast is expanding too fast without enough time to flesh them out.
I cant even remember most of their names

This series is a very long series and they're adapting everything to the LN. Right now, we're only at the first 5% of the LN where it's pretty much a SOL storyline about Rimuru meeting new comrades and beginning the development of a village. The next arc is when everything begins to unfold now that he has the Onis/Kirins on his side. If they were to pace this series faster, you'd miss all the important details. Everything that's been happening to this point is crucial to the storyline, especially when a certain someone (I'm not going to name who) comes to meet Rimuru. And yes this includes Shizue. They didn't just show Shizue so she can die and Rimuru can start using his mimicry as her. Her appearance and her death will be a crucial part of the story at the later end of the series (although I doubt they'll adapt that part... it'll take another 3-5 years).

Also idk about you, but I was able to differentiate all the characters pretty well when I first started reading the series.

Dec 6, 5:09 AM

Building up the alliances to vs the orcs looks to be a cool battle. Hopefully, the next episode gets back on track like the previous 2-3 episodes.

Dec 6, 8:45 AM
ThumbsUpBaby said:
LazyPanther said:

I can pretty much be Ok with the pacing if there was something of significance going on (drama/comedy/action/romance/mystery). There is just this setup to something that is occasionally alluded to, in amidst of all the random dancing, eating, passing out, naming people.

You mentioned it is SOL style.
Slice of Life should have characters that you connect with. As of now almost all of characters can be described in 1 word each.

I think the problem is cast is expanding too fast without enough time to flesh them out.
I cant even remember most of their names

This series is a very long series and they're adapting everything to the LN. Right now, we're only at the first 5% of the LN where it's pretty much a SOL storyline about Rimuru meeting new comrades and beginning the development of a village. The next arc is when everything begins to unfold now that he has the Onis/Kirins on his side. If they were to pace this series faster, you'd miss all the important details. Everything that's been happening to this point is crucial to the storyline, especially when a certain someone (I'm not going to name who) comes to meet Rimuru. And yes this includes Shizue. They didn't just show Shizue so she can die and Rimuru can start using his mimicry as her. Her appearance and her death will be a crucial part of the story at the later end of the series (although I doubt they'll adapt that part... it'll take another 3-5 years).

Also idk about you, but I was able to differentiate all the characters pretty well when I first started reading the series.

I think there's a translation error in vol 2 with the names near the end at a certain meeting.

Just wonderd if anyone picked up on it

Dec 7, 1:59 AM

Great epiosde again!

Good pacing and I love rimuru even more now
"I love SAO fans, they know their favourite anime is garbage"

Dec 7, 5:46 AM

All caught up in episodes.

Oh good grief. Really? That's their "evolved" form? Just make them boring stock human characters with horns? I prefer their wilder looks. And Shion needs to get rid of that ridiculous hag tits and shave one side of her hair. Maybe I'll start taking her seriously.
Sturgeon's Law Ghetto Corollary:
A "respectable" genre of fictional media will always be judged by the 10% of good works,
but a stigmatized genre will always be judged by the 90% of bad works.

My gaze is the measure of all things:
Anime of the Year 2018: Potential Nominee | Main Nominee

Dec 7, 7:48 AM

As fun as i find this show, progression is really slow, he's still in the same forest he started in, i still like the idea but its been 10 whole eps man.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime

Dec 7, 7:54 AM
Lairucrem said:
Ogre Shuna > Oni Shuna (in both manga and anime)

Also, I feel like Shion got nerfed a little in the anime

Gabiru vs
next ep

shuna got nerfed in the light novel

Dec 7, 7:57 AM
-InfiniteLoop- said:
Rimuru has the cutest smiles

Looks like the ogres have joined Rimuru's party. Soon enough even the Lizardmen will also learn of the great Rimuru-sama.
It was mostly a build up episode with some character development for the ogres. Also it was nice to see how much respect Rimuru gets from the goblins. They were all watching Rimuru take his first bite of food hoping it's to his satisfaction.

too much moe!!!!
but let's wait for Ramiris and Milim-chan!!!

Dec 7, 8:00 AM
Limaolc said:
PrevE said:

She will likely appear on the last episode to cliffhanger a 2nd season or something, she comes out after the orc lord arc.

Hokurou sounded a lot like jiraiya this ep

yeah thank you for the info!

And yeah i aggre with you, he really sounded like jiraya.

Milim shows up after the war with falmas that causes rimuru's ascencion as an awakened maou

Dec 8, 3:11 AM

In my opinion, I think that the character of Shion and not only her, in the pass from Ogre to another form, have lost us in beauty, well! The episode was not boring since they knew how to blend the serious part with the less serious part. the story begins to be more intriguing.

Dec 8, 4:21 AM
franzjpm said:
Limaolc said:

yeah thank you for the info!

And yeah i aggre with you, he really sounded like jiraya.

Milim shows up after the war with falmas that causes rimuru's ascencion as an awakened maou

No milim shows up after the orc arc .

Dec 8, 5:05 AM
I really like the pacing of this anime it's good, it's also nice that Rimuru gained new allies now. A cute girl and a babe girl and etc, now that's really nice. I'm excited to see what's next, worldbuilding will happen next and finally I'm hoping to see some action and battles.
Gabiru kinda reminds me of Kazuma-san. Only this time, he's a lizardmen, not a human.

Dec 8, 6:52 AM
EmperorAlfred said:
I really like the pacing of this anime it's good, it's also nice that Rimuru gained new allies now. A cute girl and a babe girl and etc, now that's really nice. I'm excited to see what's next, worldbuilding will happen next and finally I'm hoping to see some action and battles.
Gabiru kinda reminds me of Kazuma-san. Only this time, he's a lizardmen, not a human.

Same voice actor for gabiru that does Kuzuma

Dec 8, 6:55 AM
Mattinator95 said:
EmperorAlfred said:

Same voice actor for gabiru that does Kuzuma

Oh wow lol, now here's gonna be more comedic scenes in this anime, I was actually hoping for some actions lol. But it's fine and all. KAZUMA-DESU!

Yesterday, 1:45 AM

The CGI Orcs looks a little bit scary xd. I hope that when the actual battle episode comes they would execute the CGI for the 200,000 orcs in a way that this community would be able to accept it :)

Good episode

Yesterday, 9:15 AM

Gabiru!Kazuma!Gabiru!Kazuma!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."

Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Why do they have to become more human looking? The designs before were perfect. This is suppose to be an improvement? Did they forget the entire appeal of a fantasy world with fantastical monsters?

Today, 5:18 AM

I mean.... I was a good episode .. but nothing really speacial... Anyway waiting for the next one! I'm happy to know they put one of my national food "souvlaki" hahahaha

Today, 10:38 AM
Simply can't get enough of this series! Kirin race was a nice addition to the force.

6 hours ago

Zee530 said:
As fun as i find this show, progression is really slow, he's still in the same forest he started in, i still like the idea but its been 10 whole eps man.

He'll be staying in that forest for the rest of his life.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

Preview MangaManga Store