Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on Sony in the West trying to force Sony on Japan to censor Japanese games

New
Dec 3, 2018 3:19 AM

Nov 2018
https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/02/sony-japan-president-new-censorship-policies-on-sexual-themes-are-to-meet-global-standards/

Is this what completely destroyed Sony's reputation as a whole?
Do you think Playstation 5 will flopped so hard?
Many Anime games with sexual content will move to Switch?

what do you think?
Anime sucks, all of them are bad and that's a fact!
Dec 3, 2018 11:46 AM

Feb 2012
All they need to stay afloat is Fornite and MTX in their first party games. However if you happen to like japanese games, now is the time to jump ship. They didn't even bother to wait till next gen to purge anime from the system.
Dec 3, 2018 12:47 PM

Feb 2015
Forced censorship should never be pushed for or defended as a good thing, in my opinion. The famous words of EA Dice ex-CEO: "don't like it, don't buy it" should be applied as a better course of action. Don't like sexual themes in a game? Don't buy it. There are plenty of games that don't have it. If enough people decide they don't like sexual themes in games and not spend money on them, it'll go away on its own. But that's the thing, there is a market for games with sexual themes that people want to play, and will spend money on. Why do those who are not the target audience for these games get to decide if these games get to stay by forcing censorship onto it?
Just because something is censored doesn't mean demand for it will magically vanish. Other companies will take note and capitalise on Sony refusing to supply the customer with what they want in their games.

Anyway, the best thing that can come from this is Sony stepping up to make better games to make up for the gap created by their censorship policies.
Dec 3, 2018 5:43 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Idiots. Do they even know what sells or they bowing down to the demands of stupid parents and christian groups.
Dec 3, 2018 5:48 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Pathetic, disgusting, reprehensive, and deserving of a huge amount of backlash.

Fuck Sony.

Dec 3, 2018 6:03 PM

Nov 2011
I dont care I hope Sony goes bankrupt.
Dec 3, 2018 8:18 PM

Nov 2008
Sony needs to be reminded of things like stock crashes, chapter 11, the Switch, PC exist. They aren't the only show in town. Becoming a censorship bureau unless you are a monopoly or the government is always detrimental to your bottom line.

Dec 3, 2018 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like Filthy Frank sums up my feelings on how Sony is handling this better than I ever could.

Dec 4, 2018 12:24 AM

Dec 2014
It's for the children guys, just like how Sony's President says. It would be detrimental if little 10 year old Billy were to see anime titties. I hope you guys understand that. *Meanwhile Little Billy Play's GTA 5, Hires a hooker, Kills her for his money back, and goes in a mass murdering spree that killed over 349 Civilians, and 117 Law Enforcement Officers"
Dec 4, 2018 1:04 AM

Dec 2017
"Is this what completely destroyed Sony's reputation as a whole?
Do you think Playstation 5 will flopped so hard?"

Eh I still think there's plenty of people that won't care about the censorship since they don't play the games that are targeted.

Sony would have to keep making dumb decisions that impacts more than one area to completely destroy their rep.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Dec 4, 2018 6:39 AM

Nov 2016
The PlayStation was pretty much the JRPG / Weeaboo market machine. Without that support you basically have a glorified Xbox with western exclusives.

It seems like Nintendo and Steam will gladly swallow up the market demographic that Sony is so eager to give away.

There isn't any upside for Sony in all of this. I don't understand there business decisions.
Dec 4, 2018 6:48 AM

Aug 2009
I have mixed feelings. I'm not going to boycott Sony/PlayStation product because of this since there are a few Sony exclusives that I still want, and I'm mainly a PC guy and chances are pretty good that the games that are affected will come to PC in their intended states. But I am disappointed that Sony is doing this because I don't like censorship in games, movies, music, books and just art in general.

So when it comes down to the prospect of buying a PS4 and the few games that I wont compared to buying other things that I want, I'm going with the other things for the time being.

Dec 4, 2018 8:53 AM

Jan 2018
I found this censorship policy on censoring J-Games could lead to an poor sales and poor selling on console games, thereby losing its fanbase altogether. When Japanese people notices about this, they will lead to an huge protests on Sony's headquaters on SIE censorship all the way.

Now that there is no an opiton to stop this new censorship rules, the Playstation brand will never be the an amazing the way it was during its time when SIE used to headquatered in Japan.

Also, non-Japanese finds some that Japan's strange feitish and sexual is the worst and the most weird acceptable themes well regarded in Japan which is why SIE want to censor them and make them more younger to the younger gamers, something that FCC wanted to censor and regulate anything that deemed unsuitable for childrens.

(sorry for poor English)
Dec 4, 2018 9:09 AM

Nov 2018
hotsushikun said:

Also, non-Japanese finds some that Japan's strange feitish and sexual is the worst and the most weird acceptable themes well regarded in Japan which is why SIE want to censor them and make them more younger to the younger gamers, something that FCC wanted to censor and regulate anything that deemed unsuitable for childrens.

(sorry for poor English)

Developers won't expect that, many kids today mostly ignored Nintendo games because they always play MOBA like LOL, First Person Shooters like COD and Battle Royale games like Fortnite.
Anime sucks, all of them are bad and that's a fact!
Dec 4, 2018 9:11 AM

Jan 2018
San-Diego said:
hotsushikun said:

(sorry for poor English)

Developers won't expect that, many kids today mostly ignored Nintendo games because they always play MOBA like LOL, First Person Shooters like COD and Battle Royale games like Fortnite.

At least, we can still play the games on PC where censorship is no rule, and PC games with h-scenes is still alive to these days. We also have Swtich where censorship is very limited and allow some sexual but not exclipt such as visible genitals to be shown. And Steam allowing more 18+ games is also freeable.
Dec 5, 2018 7:17 AM
May 2009
Sony Japan should just take over Sony USA and indoctrinate them in the ways of H.

But in general I still want my Japanese games to be uncensored with all the Japanese Weirdness. Games are developed in that way to be enjoyed that way.
Dec 11, 2018 9:42 PM

Dec 2018
Didn't the 2B creator mock all the people complaining about her butt? I wonder what his thoughts are on this. Cause I imagine something like this would hit a future character like 2b hard right?

Personally I hate censorship in any form so I was quite happy to see him respond the way he did. I'm so use to everyone just caving in.
Dec 13, 2018 2:02 AM
Aug 2018
They are just so disconnected to their consumers. Bad decision overall.
Dec 13, 2018 4:48 AM

Oct 2014
A few years back what we were arguing was simply companies being companies, as in being overly greedy and squeezing out the very last cent/penny out of everyone's pocket to maximize profits, but at least that was still somehow understandable, as a company usually exists for the sake of making money, nothing more and nothing less.

Now on the other hand we have this abomination where companies are pandering to hyper-vocal minorities that don't like certain things, for some reason. The media are unfortunately quite filled with these hyper-vocal minorities and make it look like what they are presenting is the public's point of view. This barrier that the media created has now created an even bigger rift between the consumers and the creators/publishers to the point that companies actually start failing to satisfy their customer wishes even more now.

And this might sound surprising, but this might actually be a GOOD thing in the long-term. Why? Because back when companies where "merely" greedy, they always managed to not cross a certain line. Despite being more expensive than the content was worth, it was still in itself covering the basics to make the players be able to have a good time playing the games, so the issue of the DLCs, pay2win, etc. would probably never be addressed since the companies could AFFORD people complaining and not buying as long as "the masses" still kept buying their games.

Now, however, the companies are starting to go beyond the bottom line of more and more people and the rate of players becoming dissatisfied is visibly increasing. You can see how big companies get more and more disconnected from the players by looking at the whole Battlefield 5 thing. They wanted to put female soldiers in it, OK, fine, but WHY did that have to be with WW2? They could have easily done it with some other setting where that would have been more acceptable, maybe some kind of alternate history or some post-apocalyptic future setting where some huge EMP that's easy to reproduce destroyed all computers and pushed us back into WW2-level of technology or something. It's not that hard! Instead they took the clearly incompatible combination of "Female Soldiers" and "WW2", because WW2 seems to still be the most popular setting, but at the same time they had to pander to the vocal SJWs voices. Now EA will hopefully suffer for their retardation, when they could have easily made the same game but without any of the complains if they added a bit more "backstory" to it.

And another example about people in general becoming more and more disconnected from the big companies would be YouTube Rewind 2018. Already, within a few tens of hours, it's the #2 of most disliked videos ever. And just name-dropping Fortnite is not good enough, when you lack the content of what people want to see and instead put overly in-your-face SJW pandering into it.

So how is this a good thing? It means that small- and medium-sized companies might get a chance to shine now as people will soon start looking to alternatives that are not poisoned with the SJW non-sense and the censorship issues. But it remains to be seen if the indies can make their huge debut now, or if they fail to grasp this opportunity. After all nobody knows whether or not the big companies will reverse course at some point, because one would expect that at their core their profits should still be more important to them than their pandering, in their long run.
Grey-ZoneDec 13, 2018 4:53 AM
Dec 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Jan 2018
Grey-Zone said:
A few years back what we were arguing was simply companies being companies, as in being overly greedy and squeezing out the very last cent/penny out of everyone's pocket to maximize profits, but at least that was still somehow understandable, as a company usually exists for the sake of making money, nothing more and nothing less.

Now on the other hand we have this abomination where companies are pandering to hyper-vocal minorities that don't like certain things, for some reason. The media are unfortunately quite filled with these hyper-vocal minorities and make it look like what they are presenting is the public's point of view. This barrier that the media created has now created an even bigger rift between the consumers and the creators/publishers to the point that companies actually start failing to satisfy their customer wishes even more now.

And this might sound surprising, but this might actually be a GOOD thing in the long-term. Why? Because back when companies where "merely" greedy, they always managed to not cross a certain line. Despite being more expensive than the content was worth, it was still in itself covering the basics to make the players be able to have a good time playing the games, so the issue of the DLCs, pay2win, etc. would probably never be addressed since the companies could AFFORD people complaining and not buying as long as "the masses" still kept buying their games.

Now, however, the companies are starting to go beyond the bottom line of more and more people and the rate of players becoming dissatisfied is visibly increasing. You can see how big companies get more and more disconnected from the players by looking at the whole Battlefield 5 thing. They wanted to put female soldiers in it, OK, fine, but WHY did that have to be with WW2? They could have easily done it with some other setting where that would have been more acceptable, maybe some kind of alternate history or some post-apocalyptic future setting where some huge EMP that's easy to reproduce destroyed all computers and pushed us back into WW2-level of technology or something. It's not that hard! Instead they took the clearly incompatible combination of "Female Soldiers" and "WW2", because WW2 seems to still be the most popular setting, but at the same time they had to pander to the vocal SJWs voices. Now EA will hopefully suffer for their retardation, when they could have easily made the same game but without any of the complains if they added a bit more "backstory" to it.

And another example about people in general becoming more and more disconnected from the big companies would be YouTube Rewind 2018. Already, within a few tens of hours, it's the #2 of most disliked videos ever. And just name-dropping Fortnite is not good enough, when you lack the content of what people want to see and instead put overly in-your-face SJW pandering into it.

So how is this a good thing? It means that small- and medium-sized companies might get a chance to shine now as people will soon start looking to alternatives that are not poisoned with the SJW non-sense and the censorship issues. But it remains to be seen if the indies can make their huge debut now, or if they fail to grasp this opportunity. After all nobody knows whether or not the big companies will reverse course at some point, because one would expect that at their core their profits should still be more important to them than their pandering, in their long run.

The 2019 year is going to be more chaos as usual you can watch this video here:
Dec 14, 2018 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
Simply banning adult content would not help the company. The main reason they do it is to appeal to the mainstream media and journalism, which ironically, keeps getting more distant from the consumers and most people. which is shown by how hard they get hit from time to time. No wonder why journaalism is dying, every passing day they are making their reputation worse!
if sony keeps adapting to rules that the costumers wont like, they risk losing them.

here are a few examples:

The emoji movie: the MSM thought it would be easy to make a profit out of something the youth likes to use (the most fellowkids movie recently), now its one of the lowest rated movies of all time.

Battlefield V: EA wanted to empower women and people of color, by rewriting history, 120k dislikes on youtube

Infinite warfare: "Hey, overused genres are still cool, right?" No! they get old! Over 3 million dislikes on youtube!

netflix: Released a show called dear white people, the triler showed black people getting maad over cultural apropriation and trying to solve it with censorship of haloween costums - 450k dislikes on youtube

Crunchyroll- trying to show how diversed the cast of their new original show (that nobody asked for) is, while making it THE MAIN SELLING POINT OF THE SHOW, WITHOUT TELLING US ANYTHING ABOUT IT! Also, when ypu promise you would use the money to help the anime studios you gotta live up to what you say.

they also made an article about why Kino is non binary (mostly just to appeal to bigger markets as "progressive", even though it's fake and forced to try changing a show you didn't even make)

Battlefront 2- ea showed us how greedy they really are, by saying how you should feel pride for bying new DLCs, Now its the most downvoted post in reddit history, with over 700k downvotes.

Pewdiepie- The WSJ couldnt help but make him appear as an actual nazi, who spreads propaganda on his channel! after the article was released, tons of people came out to defend him, he gained millions of new subs, and the WSJ got hit pretty hard, losing reputation, and many of their subscribers.

Buzzfeed- manspreading, men hating, trying to make white people appear as the enemy, and attempting to devide people by gender and skin color, like it's the 1800's - To this day the majority of people have little to no respect to buzzfeed.

youtube rewind- youtube trying to make themselves look marketable, and family friendly to any marketing team from the MSM, going so far to the point of ignoring some of the most important events that happened this year, and giving more screentime to celebs and talk show hosts, just because they are more marketable thana youtubers, and you can rely on them more to make you look good, also, they pushed in some politics to make them seem nice and friendly to the market.
Yotube rewind: first video on the site to hit 10 million dislikes, pssing baby in less than a week.

T siries- youtube wants to look more marketable, by promoting companies that make videos that you could rely on to market your platfom to the MSM, (I mean look at the trending tab of youtube, individual creators are almost nowhere to be seen)
Now, they are trying to push channels like T siries to indians on their platform and make it the biggest channel out there.

But little did they know, literally everyone on the site supports pewds and want him to remain the largest channel. he went up about 10 million subs because of this fight.

Peta: Peta were never that respectble in the first place (for their less than 1% adoption rate), but now they just dropped a bomb on themselves. They tweeted out a statment that we should stop using "anti animal phrases" like "beating a dead horse" and move on to using other phrases such as "feeding the fed horse". The ENTIRE THING is not being taken seriously. it was a turned into a meme, and not not even a successful one.

JK Rowling: Ah yes, jk rowling, one of the most respected writers nowadays, for her harry potter books. Well. not so much anymore, because she decided to just change parts of her stories, YEARS after she lready wrote them, just to look more "progressive". Such as making dumbledore gay, for no reason, other than appeal to the LGBT community (while it's not bad, it wasjust forced and fake). She also decided to go on a rampage on twitter against pewdiepie last year, and made so many tweets saying how bad he is, to the point literally all of the comments were just asking her to stop or debunking her.

The UK court- a few months ago, a scottish youtuber named count dankula (who is a youtuber who likes to make dark and offensive jokes in his video) was ARRESTED for teaching his puppy to do a nazi salute (as a joke for his girlfriend, because she always said how her puppy is always so cute) he was brought to court, found guilty and charged 800 pounds! outside of the court, a croud was waiting for him, cheering towaards him, as their synbol of free speech and the freedom to make jokes.
Literally EVERYONE supported him, to the point actual protests were made, fighting for free speech.

I personally think that as time will go by, new news MSM sites and companies will appear, that actually respect their audiences. and they do start to appear, and it's our chance to help these sites grow, and let companies know they need to adapt to what their costumers want, because when you don't your company will die out. Because time after time we can see that forcing your product to "SJW culture" is NOT PROFITABLE IN THE LONG RUN AND WILL RUIN YOUR REPUTATION

I mean, why do you think the indie game market is doing so well now?

Last example wasnt really a company but it'll still work if you will bring attention to this kind of stuff.
yotiDec 15, 2018 7:22 AM
Dec 15, 2018 11:46 AM

Jul 2009
As much as I dislike Sony for doing this, I won't be jumping to another console anytime soon since the PS4 still reigns supreme in exclusives. But with more Japanese devs flocking to the Switch because of this policy, that might hopefully change. PC is another good alternative... if I can be assed to upgrade my current rig.
Dec 15, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2013
I hate that. I hate any kind of censorship.
Dec 15, 2018 5:48 PM

Aug 2018
Well, they lost one customer.

Big whoop, though. I bet the PS5 will be an even bigger success than the PS4.
Most people aren't aware of stuff like this.
Dec 30, 2018 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
The amount of Japanese games on Steam are overwhelming! There is no point of buying home consoles for only that anymore!
Dec 31, 2018 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Love-Shonen said:
DejectedSoul said:
The amount of Japanese games on Steam are overwhelming! There is no point of buying home consoles for only that anymore!

If that's what you want to tell yourself - sure. There is a great number of Japanese games that will never make it to PC, both PS3 and PS4. If you're okay with missing them out - sure, go ahead.

The amount of them on Steam/GOG is already more than enough, and most good ones still will end up on PC anyways.

*And if it's not a problem for you, can you list those "Great number of Japanese games that will never make it to PC" ?!
Dec 31, 2018 10:06 AM
Jul 2018
Love-Shonen said:
DejectedSoul said:

The amount of them on Steam/GOG is already more than enough, and most good ones still will end up on PC anyways.

*And if it's not a problem for you, can you list those "Great number of Japanese games that will never make it to PC" ?!

I'd rather go and play them while you wait. : )

You don't deserve a better answer, sorry. Stick your head out of your... sand. : )

I'm not waiting on anything, all the Japanese games that I like already available on PC.
Dec 31, 2018 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Guess who's not buying anything from Soyny anymore?
Dec 31, 2018 1:59 PM

Nov 2018
Bloody pain, there's no need for censorship, that's why I'm having to wait longer to play Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal because of the sodding Censorship, and Marvelous had to remove one feature from the game that was in PBS, because SONY didn't want it in the Western releases for Burst Re:Newal bonkers, don't change what doesn't need changing!
Dec 31, 2018 2:13 PM

Nov 2018
Love-Shonen said:
ArbiterUK said:
Bloody pain, there's no need for censorship, that's why I'm having to wait longer to play Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal because of the sodding Censorship, and Marvelous had to remove one feature from the game that was in PBS, because SONY didn't want it in the Western releases for Burst Re:Newal bonkers, don't change what doesn't need changing!

It's just one mode, though. They could have cancelled the game altogether.

True indeed, but the point is, there is no need for anything to be Censored, the excuses given by Sony for doing it are lame, leave the game, any games for that matter alone
Dec 31, 2018 6:00 PM

Sep 2016
I wonder what the reason even is for censoring games when a kid could easily go on the internet and search for the latest porn video

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Feb 7, 2021 7:11 PM
Dec 2017
absoulte cancer with no justification at all whatsoever and its gotten worse as the years went by.

Feb 7, 2021 10:11 PM

Aug 2009
My first post was most likely made before Senran Kagura 7even entered development hell because of Sony check.

At the end of the day, I'll still eventually get a PS5, but fuck PlayStation forever if they killed Senran Kagura.

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

36 by Shizuna »»
47 minutes ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

26 by Theo1899 »»
4 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3502 by Lost_Viking »»
10 hours ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Apr 17

2 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 3:27 PM

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 2:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.