Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 1 Discussion

Jan 16, 12:26 AM
Damn this episode was good. It had nice ops and ending and left off with a cliff hanger. Looking forward to this anime so far.

Jan 16, 12:38 AM
JudoJD said:
whamomymamos said:

They did actually skip a part where Norman picks the lock to get out of the house. Which explains why they'd be confident enough to leave the gate open. It's bad they skipped it but it actually does get mentioned in dialogue later so maybe they thought that was enough... I see what you're thinking though. Why would they not double or tripple the security to eliminate all chance of that happening? This stuff is brought up in the manga and it's all answered very reasonably.

Though of course the anime might drop the ball on all of this so who knows lol. It was actually a decent adaption.But strange that they ommited the lock picking and there's other questionable choices too. It's pretty important for this type of story to include the all the details. No one can assume the audience will know there was a locked door between them and the gate. So yeah, a bad choice.

So that still doesn't address why they'd just leave that area unattended to or inaccessible for any of the kids to go through any time or was that also left out.
Or will the adults just be conveniently making dumb and genius decisions whenever the plot demands it? (like how did those kids escape really...magical blinding skill or?)

Dude, if you can't handle not having answers right now I don't know how you'll cope. Often this series will bring something up, and wait chapters to answer the question. That's the way they create suspense.

As for the reason they don't have anyone standing guard or the gate being open. I said one is that the door is locked, and it's the only way out of the house. As for the other it's something that's reasonable to me only because I know the full picture.

Also when people tell you that you won't be prepared for the plot twists and stuff, just don't get overhyped or overly cynical. For all we know the anime studio might throw all subtlety out the window. They've shown signs already of that.

Jan 16, 1:43 AM

JudoJD said:
TeamDalaiLana said:
Do you want me to spoil it for you? Everything in the manga (hopefully the anime as well) is explained with wit and intelligence. Nothing is “dumb”.
There’s a reason why everything appears completely normal and non threatening as much as possible.

Anyways, you won’t be prepared for the twists and turns and mind games coming lmao. Death Note is shaking.

Avoids answering question to something shown in the episode..i see..so that's a plothole OK
"You won't be prepared" blah blah....that's what everyone said
and lol nothing appears completely normal and non-threatening (quite the opposite from the very start of the ep)..if you couldn't tell the kids were being fed to something by the end of the breakfast scene idk what to tell you really. Predictable dystopian style horror cliches back to back with unnatural exposition that forces the point in your face and makes the characters feel less like characters and just mere plot devices

Yeah spoil me...I'd love an example to assure me the writing won't always be this lazy...Multiple examples even please (noone seems to have any...Ive asked)
Don't esitate to DM me ...or hit me up on the other thread
Modified by TeamDalaiLana, Jan 16, 2:05 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'

Jan 16, 2:00 AM

We can't accuse every single new anime for ''bad writing'', just because it has clichés! Yes, it may really be kind of overrated, but thankfully it's not bad, so I believe it was OK!

Jan 16, 2:00 AM

Really enjoyed the first episode. Can't wait for more, I hope that this horror atmosphere will continue in next episodes. Also poor Connie, she was so sweet T_T Like, literally, when you see such a cute character, you know something bad will happen to her.

Jan 16, 4:28 AM

giannis85 said:
We can't accuse every single new anime for ''bad writing'', just because it has clichés! Yes, it may really be kind of overrated, but thankfully it's not bad, so I believe it was OK!

At this point 99% of the stuffs out there can be called cliche now so it's not even a critique anymore. People who can't use the word cliche on literally all the anime are mostly due to their own ignorance of watching so little entertainment medias to not know pretty much all of those plot sequence are repeated a few hundred times by now because there's just that many manga/ novel/ literature/ movies/ anime/ games out there.

The key is execution, performance, writing, direction, to give readers an illusion that it's something new. Neverland got a highscore because of these factors. Also it's not even on the good part yet. People who criticized the writing would got lots of explanation later on because literally all these early parts alone have lots of for-shadowing from the get go.
Modified by Ventus_S, Jan 16, 4:34 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 16, 5:20 AM
whamomymamos said:
JudoJD said:

So that still doesn't address why they'd just leave that area unattended to or inaccessible for any of the kids to go through any time or was that also left out.
Or will the adults just be conveniently making dumb and genius decisions whenever the plot demands it? (like how did those kids escape really...magical blinding skill or?)

Dude, if you can't handle not having answers right now I don't know how you'll cope. Often this series will bring something up, and wait chapters to answer the question. That's the way they create suspense.

As for the reason they don't have anyone standing guard or the gate being open. I said one is that the door is locked, and it's the only way out of the house. As for the other it's something that's reasonable to me only because I know the full picture.

Also when people tell you that you won't be prepared for the plot twists and stuff, just don't get overhyped or overly cynical. For all we know the anime studio might throw all subtlety out the window. They've shown signs already of that.

1. So already the anime has plot-holes that require excuses from the manga - still not changing the fact that the anime has bad writing in terms of how the event played out OK (great..so you also know it's a problem...we agree on that..cool)
Ah o it's manga fans rather than the actual anime being good I see. noted

2. So they always just leave the entire area unguarded even as the kids play play about outside (door + surroundings) cause kids definitely heed to don't touch warnings....awesome..I see nothing dumb there

(lol I'm addressing someone else's concerns why again?....got sidetracked)

3. Who's complaining about not having all the answers in the first episode.
The question is simple. How did those kids escape from under that truck. Simple question that no-one is answering and is apparently reasonable to you so a little help here...or is it just a flat out plot hole resulting from a cheap attempt at suspense and no-one who likes the series wants to admit it...one of those
(or the kids have magical transportation powers? uwu cooooooool)

4. (Don't forget about no. 3) Awesome, someone with the "full picture" please give me examples of better writing up ahead (noone can for some reason). Spoil away. I just want to know the writing won't always be this (bad tbh.. don't kill me) problematic up ahead cause the introduction raises a lot of warning signs of what to expect. There's no need to hesitate even dm me to ensure noone walks into a spoiler..please (and do the characters start talking like...people instead of plot devices setting up story elements...I want to choke the next kid who'll say "strategy" one more time lol)
I'm genuinely curious
Modified by JudoJD, Jan 16, 5:38 AM

Jan 16, 5:46 AM
TeamDalaiLana said:
JudoJD said:

Avoids answering question to something shown in the episode..i see..so that's a plothole OK
"You won't be prepared" blah blah....that's what everyone said
and lol nothing appears completely normal and non-threatening (quite the opposite from the very start of the ep)..if you couldn't tell the kids were being fed to something by the end of the breakfast scene idk what to tell you really. Predictable dystopian style horror cliches back to back with unnatural exposition that forces the point in your face and makes the characters feel less like characters and just mere plot devices

Yeah spoil me...I'd love an example to assure me the writing won't always be this lazy...Multiple examples even please (noone seems to have any...Ive asked)
Don't esitate to DM me ...or hit me up on the other thread

So...nothing special about the premise.. it's legit just what you'd expect from a dystopian story?? sugoi
OK thanks. Was looking for writing examples to see how the ideas were used in situations but I'll take that lol.

wait wait XD.. that last one...oh Lord XD.. So the plot plays out because...well..literally just because? That's why there's a story?...I can't wait for a believable answer as to why she's doing that when (insert that 3rd paragraph here)
OMG thanks now I know it's really pretty dumb premise-wise (just my opinion ok)....but aren't a lot of stories..thank you wow XD. It's the execution I'm worried about the most though.
but again thanks. Way more helpful than most
Modified by JudoJD, Jan 16, 5:53 AM

Jan 16, 5:51 AM

why does it say that this show is broadcasted on fridays when it clearly wasn't on a friday when it aired last week? Or am I tripping

Jan 16, 6:06 AM

JudoJD said:
TeamDalaiLana said:

So...nothing special about the premise.. it's legit just what you'd expect from a dystopian story?? sugoi
OK thanks. Was looking for writing examples to see how the ideas were used in situations but I'll take that lol.

wait wait XD.. that last one...oh Lord XD.. So the plot plays out because...well..literally just because? That's why there's a story?...I can't wait for a believable answer as to why she's doing that when (insert that 3rd paragraph here)
OMG thanks now I know it's really pretty dumb premise-wise (just my opinion ok)....but aren't a lot of stories..thank you wow XD. It's the execution I'm worried about the most though.
but again thanks. Way more helpful than most

Modified by TeamDalaiLana, Jan 16, 6:33 AM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'

Jan 16, 6:40 AM
moodie said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 1 aired today at C3AFA Singapore

It ended at the Mother looking at Conny’s doll. Pretty much a cliffhanger. And the animation is pretty great. It practically takes the manga art and puts it in motion. The director mentioned that they were recording episode 9 as of this moment and commented that it was the climax. So maybe we can assume 12-13 episodes?

The first arc of the Manga lasted for 39 chapters, most of which can be combined into singular episodes. My hope is the series is in the episode range of 11-13 episodes as the very next arc is rather long and is not as well suited to a brief seasonal broadcast.

Jan 16, 7:01 AM

A great presentation to this orphanage and to the cast of the series. Good OP and ED, good soundtrack and pretty good animation. The characters are good, but I feel that something is missing from the cast so that they are more interesting than they already are.

Oh god, I felt the whole cliffhanger in the middle of the chapter. I'm dying to know more about what's coming.

No matter where you go, everybody's connected - Iwakura Lain

Jan 16, 9:54 AM

When is episode 2 coming out? Isn't it today?

Jan 16, 10:05 AM

Marrone said:
When is episode 2 coming out? Isn't it today?

I think it's tomorrow, actually (I don't know why but the first episode aired a day before the official release in some countries).

Jan 16, 10:09 AM
haoody said:
strange that they ommited the lock picking and there's other questionable choices too. It's pretty important for this type of story to include the all the details. No one can assume the audience will know there was a locked door between them and the gate. So yeah, a bad choice.

The lockpicking bit could have indeed been both an awesome character moment and an excellent setup for the "escape the facility" kind of story conflict. Shame they chose to leave it out.
Let's hope they just wanted to get some more shock value out of ep.1 and won't compromise on the core conflict any more than that down the line.

haoody said:
For me, the problem is in how they managed to get out of the truck without being noticed.

Yeah that bit was weird too, now that you mention it. i didn't really pick up on that bit specifically because to me that already felt like just another instance of poorly thought out stuff being poorly thought out.

spoiler test explanation

That explanation requires a bit too much preexisting goodwill towards the show on my part. Also, at some point in the past i literally saw amateur fanfic writers use exactly that kind of explanation to retroactively fix their own early blunders.

The gate only opens to harvest a children, and the harvest only occurs with childrens who have age of 12

Not a valid reason to leave such a critical gate unattended for that rare moment when it is open.

There'll be mind games about formuling a escape plan without being noticed by Mama, who's smart than the kids. I particullarly, prefer that than more monsters.

Sounds fun :D. Like i said, let's hope the story edits in ep.1 with the gate, the truck and lack of lockpicking were just an anomaly and the rest will roll as intended.

Jan 16, 10:21 AM
I really like the concept of this anime and the first episode did not disappoint me. I have high expectations for it.

Jan 16, 1:19 PM

malMaxi said:
Not a valid reason to leave such a critical gate unattended for that rare moment when it is open.

Looks like you're overestimating the harvest so much. They aren't even planing in investigate the gate that night or something like that. They just happened to go there because of the bunny. What's the chances of, in a day that occurs in years, the exact children that's going to be harvested forget your toy in the orphanage, and there's some retard kid like Emma that would go to the gate?

That explanation requires a bit too much preexisting goodwill towards the show on my part. Also, at some point in the past i literally saw amateur fanfic writers use exactly that kind of explanation to retroactively fix their own early blunders.

So this one would be better, because they literally say it in the manga:

in a serious relationship with Akihito Tsukushi's art.

Jan 16, 10:58 PM
haoody said:
Looks like you're overestimating the harvest so much. They aren't even planing in investigate the gate that night or something like that. They just happened to go there because of the bunny. What's the chances of, in a day that occurs in years, the exact children that's going to be harvested forget your toy in the orphanage, and there's some retard kid like Emma that would go to the gate?

Ridiculous question merits a similarly ridiculous answer: we saw one instance of gate open and in that one instance the kids went into it, so the chances are 100%, as far as we observed.
A more serious reply would be - that's not how security in such installation should work. Since security is an important topic for me, this took me out of the experience entirely.

So this one would be better, because they literally say it in the manga

If only the episode was so interesting for me that i was actually compelled to read the manga... But it isn't. So i have to work with what is in the episode. In which this explanation was not deemed to be worth the screentime to include.

Yesterday, 1:21 AM

malMaxi said:

Ridiculous question merits a similarly ridiculous answer: we saw one instance of gate open and in that one instance the kids went into it, so the chances are 100%, as far as we observed.
A more serious reply would be - that's not how security in such installation should work. Since security is an important topic for me, this took me out of the experience entirely.

Why they have to be perfect securing that place though? Maybe, there was supposed to be someone guarding the gate, but this time for whatever reason it didn't come and they just felt to proceed anyway because it has never happened someting like that, or simply it has always worked that way, so why change? Or maybe, they don't care if one of the children finds the truth, because they are confident it will be impossible to escape anyway. There can be multiple reasons so I don't get why the monsters can't make mistakes or be confident about the situation.

Yesterday, 8:47 AM

malMaxi said:

That's way more ridiculous than my question, lol. Read it again. Do you really think that I questioned the chances of a curious kid entering a opened gate? I questioned the odds of everything being build up to make her go to the gate that exact night.
What's the chances of, in a day that occurs in years, the exact children that's going to be harvested forget your toy in the orphanage, and there's some retard kid like Emma that would pick the toy and try to give back, breaking the rules and going into the gate?

I even changed the final part to see if it helps you.

If only the episode was so interesting for me that i was actually compelled to read the manga... But it isn't. So i have to work with what is in the episode. In which this explanation was not deemed to be worth the screentime to include.

You complain about one of the lowest levels of security that could be implanted there. The demons literally don't give a fuck if one or two childrens get in the gate because it's completely impossible to escape by that way. And yes, they have more security, not only metal bars with the weight of a leg
Modified by haoody, Yesterday, 8:53 AM

Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Jesus fucking christ, this anime is dark. Dark i say. Dark and i love it. Too many traps there. Hard to identify a few characters gender.

So far, so good!

Yesterday, 7:25 PM
Am I the only one thinking this resembles Made In Abyss?
Childs as protagonists, a strange "society", Super energetic Main Character and some really dark tones.
Emma is like the Alter Ego of Riko, and If you Exchange Reg's powers to brain power you can easily reach Norman(I hope he doesn't faint out when things get rough).
Ray kinda resembles that over protective kid in MIA, who didn't want them to go down the Abyss.
I enjoyed MIA so if the show keeps up with the good work and nicely done atmosphere it will surely have a wonderful result.
The Alien/Demon stuff was the only big downside for me(Almost made me drop )

Yesterday, 7:27 PM
The second ep was better than the first for me. The mindgames are picking up, the character interaction between the top 3 is solid. We even get a rather delicious mental confrontation with Mama.

There are still a couple of really weird transitions (How in the world collapsing at the bottom of the stairs is fine when Mom is on top? Why did Emma suddenly leave he conversation to go look at the wall?) and in general these kids are not behaving like kids, but these are more like general flaws of anime as a genre and not something a specific show can be blamed for.

haoody said:
That's way more ridiculous than my question, lol. Read it again. Do you really think that I questioned the chances of a curious kid entering a opened gate? I questioned the odds of everything being build up to make her go to the gate that exact night.
I even changed the final part to see if it helps you.

Which is why the question was ridiculous. In terms of security, you always question the chances of a curious kid entering an opened gate, regardless of the way the stars align.
Congratulations on successfully improving a pointless question :D

You complain about one of the lowest levels of security that could be implanted there. The demons literally don't give a fuck if one or two childrens get in the gate because it's completely impossible to escape by that way. And yes, they have more security, not only metal bars with the weight of a leg

All of which we learned in ep.2. But in ep.1, given what we learned in ep.1, the whole thing was still ridiculous and jarring for me.

Look, ep.1 was bad. Bad enough not to immediately sell me on the the show. Deal with it. Ep.2 is better. If it keeps getting better, then ep.1 being bad ultimately won't matter.

Gorsch said:
Why they have to be perfect securing that place though? Maybe, there was supposed to be someone guarding the gate, but this time for whatever reason it didn't come and they just felt to proceed anyway because it has never happened someting like that, or simply it has always worked that way, so why change? Or maybe, they don't care if one of the children finds the truth, because they are confident it will be impossible to escape anyway. There can be multiple reasons so I don't get why the monsters can't make mistakes or be confident about the situation.

Please remember that the context for the whole discussion is my personal suspension of disbelief. I have worked with security enough to see this situation, as presented in ep.1, as nothing but a glaring flaw and sheer incompetence.

In ep.2 we get some more context, so now i'm inclined to agree with your explanation. This is still a glaring flaw and sheer incompetence, but the bigshots of the organization are secure enough in their position to not give a damn about the minute details of security of this specific place. But that doesn't retroactively redeem ep.1. There are numerous ways in which they could hint to that context in ep.1 and they didn't choose to do any of these.
Modified by malMaxi, Yesterday, 7:32 PM

Yesterday, 8:35 PM

malMaxi said:
Which is why the question was ridiculous. In terms of security, you always question the chances of a curious kid entering an opened gate, regardless of the way the stars align.

The demons literally don't give a fuck if one or two childrens get in the gate because it's completely impossible to escape by that way.

All of which we learned in ep.2. But in ep.1, given what we learned in ep.1, the whole thing was still ridiculous and jarring for me.

I still don't get it, what's so hard in understanding that they don't need to have a gate security because in the other side of the gate there's only demons awaiting for any curious kid? I thought that was obvious with the first episode ending.

It's exactly like putting security in a trap, lol.

Modified by haoody, Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Today, 2:48 AM

Seriously, what an amazing start!

11 hours ago

Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]

Preview MangaManga Store