Forum Settings
Forums
Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Reason behind low rating...?
Story
79.7%
Chracters
14.6%
Voice acting
5.7%
610 votes
Nov 25, 2018 8:33 PM
Apr 2018
Why this movie's average rating is soo low i mean i have watched it's music video and it's animation is on point so what's the basic reason for this much low rating..?
Nov 25, 2018 8:38 PM

Oct 2018
The music video showed the best parts and the rest was bad lol

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Dec 12, 2018 12:31 AM
Oct 2016
also wanted to know why the score so low at least from what I saw the animation is beautiful "😕
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2018 2:25 AM

Nov 2018
The animation is very beautiful and I've seen a lot of AMVs made from it, well, at least those AMVs managed to capture the beautiful and touching scenes, the real story on the other hand, is not that great.
Jan 16, 2019 5:38 PM

May 2015
I just watched the movie and I don't understand why it have such a low rate..

It's a great movie ( ̄ヘ ̄)┌
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Jun 15, 2019 5:03 PM
Romance Guru

Aug 2016
I thought the animation was the worst part of the movie. While there were parts that looked amazing, there was a lot of shitty CG used which was disappointing because Shaft shows always look amazing so to see them cheap out and use CG with a movie budget was what kept the movie from being better than it was in my opinion. I like cheesy romance anime so that is probably why I enjoyed the story enough to give it a decent rating.
Jun 18, 2019 10:38 PM

Mar 2019
People who can't think for themselves can't handle open endings.
no lie
Jun 22, 2019 5:57 AM
Nov 2017
I thought the animation was pretty amazing, minus the few times the CGI went a bit... wonky. The characters and story were pretty interesting as well, up until the movie suddenly ended. The story seemed to be building up to something, it happens, and then it abruptly ends. It feels like they cut off the final act of the story and left us wondering what happened.

Jun 22, 2019 6:31 AM

Feb 2019
The visuals were somewhat ok, the Soundtrack was top notch but the direction and story were bad.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Aug 25, 2019 9:45 PM

Sep 2016
i personally found the story to be fine, but there are definitely some loose ends and unanswered questions, as well as a few fuck-ups in the story that if you want to really nitpick, you could. maybe i was just blinded by the shiny pretty colors and pretty good choices with direction but i can see why people may not like this story.

SPOILERS BELOW

half of the cast is underdeveloped and only the main characters really have any bearing. i do wish maybe they gave yuusuke a little more of a reason for liking the main girl? he just seemed to like her, which makes it harder for people to really understand his character. the boobie jokes and the way the side cast acted was also pretty uncomfortable.

but the main two characters were not that bad, and while the main dude could have been fleshed out more, i think the girl was given a lot of potential to work with, and maybe if the movie had a sequel or was two hours long, it would be held up way better.
we don't know how the magic works, or where it comes from. i've seen people criticize yuusuke suddenly switching up his feelings of the main girl from disliking her to liking her, and that's a pretty poor nitpick because we all know that the world changes every time the item is used. maybe some things aren't consistent but it is easy to see where the writers were going with this.

people also hate open endings. personally, i was fine with the open ending, and interpreted it as him wishing he was never around to set off all of the events, despite the existence of yuusuke? but then, everything would line up nicely if yuusuke didn't have his feelings for the main girl.

overall, there is a lot to be said, and this feels a little incomplete, but the story itself was pretty satisfying and if it was longer or had a sequel, i think it would even hit the 8+ category.
Oct 21, 2019 6:01 AM

Jul 2013
The characters were pretty standard and the voice acting was fine. Obviously the artwork and animation is this movie's strength. But yes the problem is the story, and usually I'm pretty generous with my ratings because I don't like to be too critical when I'm just trying to use my free time to relax and enjoy an entertaining watch.

The open ending isn't necessarily bad, but on top of everything else it makes the whole story feel anticlimactic and underwhelming. The origin and purpose of the firework shell was not explored at all so it's kind of just a random wildcard throughout the movie. This feels like Shaft's attempt at a "Your Name" or "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" style of film, but where this fails in comparison to those two is that they did not build enough lore to make the movie seem sensible. In Your Name it's very easy for the viewer to understand what is happening through subtext in the character's dialogue. In The Girl Who Leapt Through Time the logistics within that movie's universe are explicitly stated by the characters. This movie seemingly does neither (but I did watch this movie on my Air China flight back from Beijing to New York so maybe I was too dazed to read enough into it).

I do think in spite of this the movie conveys the emotions of the characters well enough. I think the climax shot of all of the memories from the different universes flooding into the characters was extremely beautiful and heartfelt. So for that I'd rate it exactly as a 7 rather than below.
Dec 6, 2019 1:25 AM
Oct 2019
It ploting was off that the anime watcher will understand it but starters will not understand what is going on so that why its given such low rating
Mar 22, 2020 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
The plot was both predictable and dumb.
Apr 12, 2020 3:27 PM
Nov 2014
I can understand them falling in love randomly, i was that age once and its way more realistic to just fall in love to a girl any day of the week than what every show does nowdays: stupid drmatic backstory or something,so i can understand the boys.
I gave it 7 because its not my place to finish the story in my head, with that logic i can write my own, i dont like the idea of unfinished endings. Other than that, i saw comments mentioning that other characters were shallow. Well its not a 26 ep anime so every second counts really, so the main ones are your priority,other characters are for support only if your movie only lasts for 1 and a half hour. Main characters acted like kids, which they were so i quite liked that. Animation and soundtracks were obviously awesome
May 1, 2020 4:22 AM

Mar 2018
I adore the song by Daoko and Kenshi Yonezu but the movie was terrible. The story was a mess and boring, the animation was also not great and the characters mostly underdeveloped and one-dimensional. Quite frankly, the music video beats the actual movie.
May 1, 2020 11:32 PM

Aug 2017
Story was a mess. Like an unfinished story written by a student. Then it was given a sizable budget.
May 15, 2020 1:51 PM
Feb 2020
Overall the animation, voice acting and thr background music was perfect..the only thing this movie lack in was the plot..we all understand the story but its kind of missing a lot of explaination..such as how did that time travelling ball exist..and why did both of them missing in the end of the story itself...imo only
May 26, 2020 8:44 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Idk, cause i rate it 10. Maybe, if you look to below of my comment here, you can get answer to your miserable question.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 9, 2020 8:34 AM
Apr 2020
It had potential but it fell short with a plot that could have been solid but got jumbled and confusing. I enjoyed the movie but I thought some of it could have been told better. They did leave and open ending as well which is probably why a lot of people didn’t like it, because they wanted to see how it ended. To me it felt like it was kinda just cut off.
Jul 9, 2020 7:49 PM
Sep 2018
There are many reasons why people dislike them, the most important of which is the failure to provide a convincing explanation of events
First this fireball how can it create other dimensions?
Second how did the main hero love the heroine?
Third the open end?
For me, I have a problem with one of these three and this is the first reason why it was important to explain it and The rest of the reasons can be easily explained according to understanding watcher to that movie
I did not face many problems in understanding this open end as I explained that on the basis that after the ball exploded they all returned to the original world and the heroine went with her mother while our hero was chasing her as she went because she promised to meet her one day and this explains his absence from the class.
As for the graphics and soundtracks it was amazing simply The movie deserves a rating of 7.6 / 10 sure that for me
Aug 13, 2020 7:36 PM

Apr 2017
This should work if only they did a series out of it, the way they handled everything won't work for a movie.

That's just my personal opinion tho so ye. I wish it was a series, not a movie.
//cruellime Steam Signature - SteamId for cruellime, real name bakachi mochii
Aug 20, 2020 11:10 PM
Aug 2020
well the whole thing happens within 1 day, so a series would have probably been too long
Aug 31, 2020 1:29 AM

Jul 2012
The story is absolute factor why ppl rate it low.. When the ending is near and no absolute ending was shown, yet the viewers wants their own "ending" version on the climaks..
The show just lost the climaks momentum and the logic that too hard to follow..

Sep 3, 2020 12:01 PM
Sep 2020
To start off, I've never seen an animation with both legendary scenes and also really crappy CGI before. but the CGI doesn't really bother me. if the story is good, even a stick figure animation would be pretty amazing. but for most of the story I didn't understand what was going on at all. The characters were not very well written, I dont even know how that romance managed to progress, what was the point of that love triangle? just makes me feebad for the other guy and the ending was really bad. like, I've seen open-ended endings before and those are cool. but the ending in this looked like they suddenly ran out of budgets and just cut it before they could finish and rolled the credits and for all I know that's what happened. I sound like a dick saying all this but just giving an honest review. I can see what they were trying to do and I like the message it gives but didn't quite meet the expectations
Sep 4, 2020 2:18 PM

Jan 2019
I rate off of enjoyment and gave it a 5, mainly because I rarely found myself smiling or actually enjoying the movie. When it ended it was like, “oh.. that’s it?”. The open ending doesn’t bother me, I feel like it fit in with this movie. I personally just felt like there wasn’t anything to it, kind of plain. The one moment that stood out to me was everyone’s memories from different universes falling, but I can’t give it a good rating just because of those 3 or so minutes. If you did enjoy it then that’s great!
Oct 12, 2020 10:38 AM
May 2016
Mostly the characters, the girl, whose name I can't currently remember having only seen this once a long time ago, was very unlikeable, she made a lot of dumb decisions and her motivations were too vague to get behind:
Her using the competition to choose who she'd go with was stupid since she wanted to go with Norimichi either way
Her hatred of her new step Dad just seemed uncalled for, because it's not like he was a bad guy or anything, so it's hard to get behind said motivation to leave
That musical number was stupid. This has nothing to do with the character, but I just wanted to mention how cringe that scene was

Most of the characters were just kind of unlikeable in general. The visuals were mostly okay, minus the overabundance of CGI, which while not being bad, was just rather distracting
Jan 29, 2021 11:39 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Expectations were raised high when the music video was probably the first thing most people saw of this movie; and then what we got was a lack lustre plot. Ok maybe not TERRIBLE but with the vibes the music video gave us it was really sub par. Music videos really have a problem with possibly making a movie seem more emotional than it actually is imho

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 14, 2021 4:59 PM

May 2019
I'm rating it 6/10 in respect for the Shaft great animation, art and characters.

But the story is a mess.

In this other topic you can see that the original TV drama have a linear story, it is simple and have an actual proper end.

The anime movie is unfocused, random and just ends abruptly.

The script of this movie was written by someone or too lazy, or stoned, or both.
Apr 3, 2021 5:18 AM
Aug 2019
It sucks on every aspect lol, i watched it only because of the ending, it seems it captured the best parts, the only ones
Apr 4, 2021 6:43 PM
Jun 2020
Boring and the characters were so annoying, unlikable, and unrelatable. It's hard to feel for any of the characters because they're so flat.
May 18, 2021 10:57 AM
Sep 2020
Phio_ said:
I thought the animation was the worst part of the movie. While there were parts that looked amazing, there was a lot of shitty CG used which was disappointing because Shaft shows always look amazing so to see them cheap out and use CG with a movie budget was what kept the movie from being better than it was in my opinion. I like cheesy romance anime so that is probably why I enjoyed the story enough to give it a decent rating.

The fact that shaft also release Kizumonogatari 3 at the same year, i think i know why lol
May 18, 2021 2:38 PM

Jan 2020
Because the story is messy and definitely damages the fantastic animation that shaft brought out

May 18, 2021 2:45 PM

Oct 2020
first of all, I rate any shows based on my enjoyment.

story? I don't pay too much attention to it. (if it can enjoy me then any story is okay)

character? it's more important than the story itself IG. if the characters are bad, I don't give a crap about the anime or the story.

Voice Acting, is important to IG. but since all the VA is sound good already (basically in any anime) IMO, I don't take any consideration about VA in my scoring system
Dec 21, 2021 10:12 PM
Aug 2021
I kinda dont understand it
Jun 12, 2022 8:34 PM

Dec 2021
where is the option for all of these
K-Pop? Bias? Nah man, we only know Ai and Ruby Hoshino in this house.
Aug 21, 2022 11:38 AM

Apr 2014
I must admit I was never a fan of open endings and I will never be, especially when there is a LOT left untouched. I am not watching stories in order to make my own fan fiction.
Sep 2, 2022 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
The cast and story was terrible
Jan 9, 2023 6:50 PM

Dec 2020
No reason . Just shows how much MAL and its rating system sucks

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

More topics from this board

Poll: » To anyone who rated this above a 6: Are you okay?

Alyssaromantic - Jun 29, 2022

47 by past_feelings »»
Mar 26, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

M-A-M2000 - Aug 18, 2017

153 by LexoRye »»
Dec 8, 2023 10:37 AM

Poll: » How would you feel about a remake?

SSSTenshi - Nov 7, 2022

10 by EGOIST »»
May 14, 2023 12:09 AM

» How is the OST so popular

AnimeGuy28 - Sep 2, 2021

15 by Shasa69 »»
Nov 25, 2022 8:54 AM

» So what happened here?

DonTrumpolino - Aug 26, 2018

14 by Alyssaromantic »»
Jun 29, 2022 12:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.