Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 24, 2018 6:12 PM
Well, the project was revealed in 2016 in an interview.
Hiroyuki Yamaga (Gunbuster) is writing the script for the movie, he will try to unite the stories so that the 3 coincide, although he says it is difficult.
It is not known if the character designs will be in charge of Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, but if so, he will not design everything due to his age.
Yamaga mentions that raising funds to produce it will be simple because it is Top wo Nerae.
Regarding the animation studio, it will be Gaina (Fukushima Gainax), I suppose in collaboration with Gainax, as well as Uru in Blue.
With some luck we will have some of the Daicon who returned to help the production of Uru in Blue.

Dec 1, 2018 5:13 AM

That this isn't coming out?
added the fifth most popular anime onto this site

Dec 1, 2018 5:16 AM
So there's no new information on this?

Dec 1, 2018 5:17 AM

umm why? are they trying to pull another flcl on us. if so thx but no thx.

Dec 1, 2018 5:17 AM

What we know: this will be just as bad of a horrible cashgrab as the FLCL sequels.

Strap in folks.

Dec 1, 2018 5:23 AM

I think this 3rd installment will about a tennis match and be called:
Top wo Nerae! 3: Ballbuster

Dec 1, 2018 5:23 AM

If only they had someone like Haruhiko Mikimoto do the character designs. Ah, a man can dream. I hope it's more like the original Gunbuster since thankfully the people that worked on Diebuster went to Trigger, but there's really nothing to say until we see some key art.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199

Dec 1, 2018 6:31 AM

All I want from this:

• Bright colors
  • Robot battles ofc
  • characters that don't completely suck

If I at least get that then I'll be happy.

Dec 1, 2018 7:08 AM

If it isn't the staff from the original, or at least Diebuster, it's going to be like FLCL Progressive.

Dec 1, 2018 8:54 AM
The difference that Top Wo Nerae 3 has with the new FLCL is that the original writer returns and possibly Sadamoto designs main characters. The problem would be that the current staff of Gainax is only 18 members and their best animators have left, but there is always the possibility of collaborating with Trigger for this type of projects.

Anno will not return, after Neon Genesis Evangelion was a success and he became too famous, he gradually distanced himself from Gainax until he left (Curious, because Neon Genesis is so good for his staff and that shows in the Rebuild)
I doubt that Tsurumaki re-enters, the guy is busy directing Evangelion 4.44

Dec 1, 2018 10:07 AM

I'm honestly scared.
It's 2018 (almost 2019), folks.

I loved Gunbuster for its beautiful hand-drawn buildings and mechas, can't wait to see them in cheap CGI.
WHOA!!!
Talk about character development? I started liking beer.

Dec 1, 2018 10:33 AM

God, why does Gainax have to make it. Their animation team basically doesn't exist anymore. They should of just let Trigger do it.

Dec 1, 2018 11:01 AM

Honestly what happened to Gainax this past decade?
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Dec 1, 2018 12:02 PM

Well. Can't be worse than Diebuster was, can it?

Dec 1, 2018 12:07 PM

EndlessMaria said:

It's dead, last seen was PV of some arabian themed animation for that audience.
It's been decaying since Anno left.

Dec 1, 2018 12:19 PM
EndlessMaria said:

What happened was Gonzo in 92, Khara in 2006 and Trigger in 2011.
Since the production of Uru failed in 1992, members have gradually left.
Although for the production of the new Uru in Blue several Daicon founders return.

Dec 1, 2018 1:13 PM
Maki's arms

It's impossible to replicate the magic and epic nature of the original, but matching Diebuster shouldn't be impossible with the right staff and budget. Will they have it though?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2018 1:19 PM

Wut? Was anyone asking for this? lol

Dec 1, 2018 5:16 PM

A few years ago I would have never thought that more FLCL and Gunbuster might actually turn me off.

I would have loved this if gainax was still gainax, but who even is left there? It seriously hurts seeing it turn out like this. Trigger just never catched me after Kill la Kill. Everything they do is mediocreness pushed by ecchi and decent animation.

So lets take bets - What will come out first - Evangelion 3+1, Aoki Uru, or this?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Dec 2, 2018 4:29 AM

I don’t have high hopes for this, but I think it will be interesting probably. I view the buster ovas as, to use a games industry term, vertical slices of what gainax has been about through the various generations of the studio.

Gunbuster was a vertical slice of everything first generation Gainax was about, and Diebuster everything the second generation was about, so I’m curious to see what the third generation wants to put forward as their style and ideology, so to speak.

Dec 4, 2018 10:48 AM

No one asked for this. I already consider Gurren Lagann as Top wo Nerae 3 but I will watch it and hope it would actually be decent not a cash grab

Dec 5, 2018 6:11 AM
I'm not convinced this will turn out well, but I'll probably end up watching it anyways.

Dec 5, 2018 6:22 AM

I have a really bad feeling that this isn't even going to feel like Top wo Nerae and it's just going to be a cashgrab.
Slight hope exists though...I mean it's not like Gainax has anything to lose at this point.

Jan 5, 2019 1:51 PM

I liked both Gunbuster and Diebuster.

But this...This scares me.

Feb 20, 2019 9:34 AM

I would love if it looks like Top wo Nerae 2, enjoy that character design alot. And also let's hope the story isn't too much obvious money making and more what fans want and deserve.

May 9, 2019 4:30 AM

SadSceneryBoi said:
What we know: this will be just as bad of a horrible cashgrab as the FLCL sequels.

Strap in folks.

We don't know that. Personally I think that part of the problem with the FLCL sequel was that the original was too much a product of it's time. That is much less of a problem with Gunbusters. (Haven't seen Diebuster yet.)

May 14, 2019 6:13 AM

kandi_gloss said:
Personally I think that part of the problem with the FLCL sequel was that the original was too much a product of it's time. That is much less of a problem with Gunbusters. (Haven't seen Diebuster yet.)

The busters are VERY much a product of their times. Gunbuster is an archetypical '80s mecha show, and Diebuster's connections with FLCL's design make IT a product of the mid-'00s (that and the more moe elements that were very much in vogue then).

If the animation, story and characters are on point, and the studio does what they did with Diebuster and just make an homage to the previous two series without trying to copy them blow-for-blow, Top wo Nerae 3 could be great.

May 14, 2019 7:30 AM

As one of the only people in history who hated Gunbuster, I really don't care if this ever gets made. Same with "Uru in Blue," as I hated Wings of Honneamise.

May 20, 2019 12:25 AM

Honestly this could work if the direction, animation, and sound are on point. Diebuster was so much different from Gunbuster that this third installment could practically be about anything, as long as it hits those 3 points.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 22, 2019 6:49 AM

"The project was reconfirmed in 2018, now in production under the branch of Gainax known as Gaina. No new information was revealed about it, but Uru In Blue was given a release date of 2022, which may mean that Gunbuster 3 could come later than that. [2]"

We better distract ourselves in the meantime then. Diebuster came in 2004 to celebrate Gainax's 20th anniversary. I'd not be surprised for a 2024 release.