Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you hate this or use it?
Nov 24, 2018 10:42 AM

Jul 2017
I always see the phrase, You can't criticize [insert type of media form] because it is hard work to make this. Do any of you guys use this phrase? as well as do any of you hate it when people use this phrase.

What are your thoughts on this?

not sorry if this topic has already been brought up before but like i never check the forums at all and have been seeing and hearing it a lot recently and its been getting on my nerves.
Nov 24, 2018 10:48 AM

Sep 2018
I can respect effort for making something. Even Sonic 06 had a ton of effort put into it. I think this does not negate constructive criticism of said product though.
Nov 24, 2018 10:48 AM

May 2014
The amount of work put into something does not make it immune to criticism. Say that you and I are painting a picture, but I use twice as much time as you and we end up with a similar result, does that mean that mine should be criticized less because I spent more time on it?
Nov 24, 2018 10:51 AM

Apr 2013
rohan121 said:
I can respect effort for making something. Even Sonic 06 had a ton of effort put into it. I think this does not negate constructive criticism of said product though.

Eh, I also hate the phrase, but 06 was rushed. It definitely didn't have as much effort put into it as it could have/needed.
Nov 24, 2018 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
This is one of the laziest arguments one can come up with.
Nov 24, 2018 10:54 AM

Feb 2018
It makes about as much sense as saying "but I put a lot of effort into my exam so I should get an A for it".
Nov 24, 2018 10:57 AM
Jul 2018

In case you are not aware this is an anime discussion BOARD. I wonder why are posting that shit here?!

Nov 24, 2018 11:02 AM

Aug 2018
The other phrase is: and how many stories did you wrote? You don't need to be a chef to know when you are eating something disgusting, the same with anime or other things. Common sense or personal taste pretty much say everything.
Nov 24, 2018 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's mostly invalid. I believe in it a little which is why I never give 1s. No matter how bad something is, I can always find something to appreciate.

But other than that, I don't think hard work makes something immune to critcism. Hard work often leads to failures and that's a sad but true fact of life. It's about making the best use of your resources. Work smarter, not harder.
Nov 24, 2018 11:09 AM

May 2014
That argument doesn't make any sense. Regardless of how much effort was put into something, it's still open to criticism.
Nov 24, 2018 12:26 PM
Aug 2016
It doesn't really make sense. Just because you put your back into something, doesn't make it free of criticism.
Nov 24, 2018 12:43 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Yeah.. like me attempting and putting effort to things just to fail. It would be stupid and condescending to just let something through for effort even if idea fails for like 100 fails.

So however much effort someone gives no matter to what. Still should receive both negative and positive feedback. Whenever it's positive or negative comment, they both can be used to make next thing better.

But yeah.. too much criticism and constant negativity can get depressing. And once you drown in "bad" and no matter what you do still goes shit or receive constant criticism .. yeah.. eventually it will be simply "fuck my life".
Nov 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Apr 2010
Yeah! People put lof of effort into Mars Destruction and Inferno Cop u cant criticize it...
Nov 24, 2018 1:46 PM

Oct 2010
Like my teacher from uni told me:
it doesn't matter if you worked hard, you have to do it good
Nov 24, 2018 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
It's just a lazy excuse when someone couldn't defend their opinion.
Nov 24, 2018 4:02 PM

May 2009
I don't hate it...but I don't use it either.

It's fair to criticize something. But it's always possible to make that criticism without sounding like you're condemning whoever is associated with it to hell. E.g. "This story feels disconnected at multiple points, suggesting a lack of proper focus", as opposed to "This story doesn't make any fucking sense and whoever wrote it is an idiot who sucks llama dick".

Protip: Don't use hyperbole if you don't need to. Instead, learn the art of understatement.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 24, 2018 4:05 PM

Jul 2017
the real question is how many people actually respect AD rules?
Nov 24, 2018 7:01 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I can respect hard work and I'll probably be respectful of as much when I perceive it. But it doesn't necessarily make me interested or make me like something, it just kind of is what it is. If it's hard work for something I dislike immensely, well, all power to them for putting their backs into it but I still fucking dislike it and I'm not going to act conciliatory for an intangible entity.

Nov 24, 2018 7:03 PM

Dec 2016
Constructive criticism wouldn't even be a thing if this argument was accepted as valid.
Nov 24, 2018 7:07 PM

Jun 2015
DaCraziGuy said:
The other phrase is: and how many stories did you wrote?
I always hit back with a "more then you bitch." and "learn some grammar retard"

I also like to point out that it was a wasted effort.
Nov 25, 2018 5:43 AM

Aug 2018
KuroudoAkabane said:
DaCraziGuy said:
The other phrase is: and how many stories did you wrote?
I always hit back with a "more then you bitch." and "learn some grammar retard"

I also like to point out that it was a wasted effort.

Yes, 95 % of the times is pointless to talk back.
Nov 25, 2018 5:49 AM

Oct 2010
It's a godawful phrase among other things because it's hypocritical (you can't defend something if you don't know how much of a hard work it is! Same logic), overprotective (if anybody in media thinks they are above criticism they shoud check their own ego first) and against the very nature of their works as something that should ellicit a sincere response from the viewers and not something that is conditioned by external factors.

The worst is not when fans do it, though, but when the piece of media itself does by vilifying critics and putting itself as above everything.

And it's not like you can't appreciate effort while also explaining why this effort is in the end futile or misguided.
Nov 25, 2018 10:35 AM

May 2016
Hmm, not that I entirely disagree with some of the sentiments voiced here, but couldn't one just as easily see such a phrase as being indicative of the generally low quality of anime reviewing that is going on?

I mean, it does take some level of personal fortitude to read half the comments/reviews people write about anime before saying, 'I salute your neo-liberal fervour'. Because half of what people say about anime is just like listening to the pitch of a used-car salesman , the other half is just garbage. Basically, it's just not worth reading/paying attention to.

So is it any wonder some might just respond to such sub-par commentary with a phrase like, "geeze, do you even know what key cel animation is? Or the 'squash-stretch principle'? Or, heck, about the regulatory bodies controlling distribution? You don't? So why are you trying to comment on them!?" -- or, to put it simply, "you do not know how hard it is the produce an anime".

Not suggesting this is a universal truth, merely the expression should not just be read as a lazy one, but also an exasperated one.

Nov 25, 2018 11:21 AM

Oct 2014
Construction and inspection are two different fields. If someone can become a welding inspector without ever having done welding themselves then I see no reason why someone couldn't be a movie critic without having made a movie themselves.

If you know anything about story structure and animation you can criticize anime even if you don't know how to make one yourself.
Nov 25, 2018 11:52 AM

Feb 2015
Sadly, hard work doesn't always equal high quality.
Nov 25, 2018 11:57 AM

Aug 2013
I've seen that sometimes, but it's not very frequent. I guess most people realise how dumb of a statement that is.
Nov 25, 2018 6:03 PM

Jul 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
It makes about as much sense as saying "but I put a lot of effort into my exam so I should get an A for it".

shit this makes a lot of sense ima start using this if u dont mind
Nov 25, 2018 6:09 PM

Jul 2017
Jaarin said:

So is it any wonder some might just respond to such sub-par commentary with a phrase like, "geeze, do you even know what key cel animation is? Or the 'squash-stretch principle'? Or, heck, about the regulatory bodies controlling distribution? You don't? So why are you trying to comment on them!?" -- or, to put it simply, "you do not know how hard it is the produce an anime".

okay i can agree with this in only certain circumstances. but for the most part the way u used it is different. Most of the people i know when they bring up stuff like that is actually criticizing the show for the low production value and such.

More topics from this board

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - 17 minutes ago

3 by tchitchouan »»
36 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 6 minutes ago

3 by Archean-Return »»
45 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

67 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

53 by dungy »»
8 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

53 by r3v3l3v3l »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.