Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2018 3:10 PM

Jul 2017
Fight visually looked great but substance wise, it was pretty rough. This was a better looking piece of shit that original 2 SAO season were so that is worrying.

The imagination shit feels too farfetched and convenient for me. Plus Kirito was as generic as he was before. Atleast the animation looked outstanding.
Nov 24, 2018 3:17 PM
Mar 2017
This imagine power really reminds me of accel world
Nov 24, 2018 3:23 PM
Nov 2016
Dumb Fighting styles, and ofc... Kiroto wins/draws.

Kirito's flowers get's PWNED and animators use that as an excuse to show off. (They sure like to measure there dicks, don't they...)

A wild moe girl appears...

that's all folks.
Nov 24, 2018 4:21 PM
Nov 2015
This episode was pretty good, the fight scene was clsssic Kirito showing what he immediately (yes, this is shade) learned when he was top dog in SAO. I want to know what kind of budget they have for this anime, the art is outstanding!

I’m not 100% happy with some of the character design changes, but I haven’t been this hyped about an SAO epsilde since the first half of season one.

Anyways, can’t wait for next week.
Nov 24, 2018 4:27 PM

Aug 2013
And with that, our boys have Padawans now. Great...that means we're almost getting to THAT point in content....
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 24, 2018 4:54 PM
Oct 2018
WordIsBond said:
Kirito crying over some flowers is possibly the gayest thing I've witnessed all year. How is this show rated over an 8?

-
i guess you did not pay atention then of the reasons he cried?
also, why the remark about the "being gay"? are you homophobic?
"I know anything goes here...
but this...
this is clearly not fucking okay...!"
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Nov 24, 2018 4:55 PM
Oct 2018
Splizzex said:
When Kirito cries more from the death of the flowers than from the death of that girl from Season 1 you know they did something wrong back then.

-
in reality, in season 1 we just see a little of kirito crying we don't know if he cried all night.
but this...
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Nov 24, 2018 5:26 PM

Jun 2014
The fact that they actually had the flower scene made me a lot more hopeful for this SAO season. The first two SAO were really a mixed bag, beginning of alicization and part of mother rosario were good but the rest were shit especially because of kirito but this scene with the flower and not making kirito win(well lets say he did not win) against the first seat is making me hopeful, kirito might not be Jesus this season and he might even get character development. Also the fact that no harem in sight yet makes it even better.

I'm pretty excited to see if the quality of alicization will keep going or they'll go back to the classic SAO shitfest. Looking forward to it!
Nov 24, 2018 5:46 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
pretty ok ep.

I guess this one really emphasized how important of a role imagination plays in Underworld.
Nov 24, 2018 5:55 PM

Sep 2010
Nayout said:

It could be worse, it could be a generic comment of MAL, oh wait.

Generic complain on generic comment to generic show

Nov 24, 2018 5:57 PM

Feb 2017
Ookami-des said:

Like it's one of the most generic knights stories, but somehow it's good if it's SAO. I guess that's what people like about this show, but damn it's boring.

Then... why are you here if it is soo boring? xD
I mean yes, even i f for you is boring you can watch it but if you are here just to complain then..
there are other animes to watch/things to do in life...
Nov 24, 2018 5:59 PM
Aug 2018
tottobennington said:
Ookami-des said:

Like it's one of the most generic knights stories, but somehow it's good if it's SAO. I guess that's what people like about this show, but damn it's boring.

I mean yes, even i f for you is boring you can watch it but if you are here just to complain then..

Well Talk about having no life, watching some just so that they can Hate on it.
Some westerners are really lifeless.
immortaluchihaNov 24, 2018 6:34 PM
Nov 24, 2018 6:01 PM

Jul 2017
Have to say didn't really like how this LN was adapted. The first one had good pacing and really set up the atmosphere, but this one felt quite rushed in classic A1-Pictures fashion, especially over how they skipped pretty much the entire part of the Zakkaria tournament thing and the importance of the flowers in identifying the bounds of the Taboo Index and stuff

uzee said:
Based on the pacing my guess is that the season will end at the point where

This season is confirmed to adapt the entirety of Alicization
Nov 24, 2018 6:12 PM
Jan 2018
boooooooaaaaaaaaa Kirito empatou com o Uolo daquele jeito supremo. Sortiliena ainda venceu o cara nas finais e vai representar o Império do Norte no Grande Torneio dos Quatro Impérios

Tiese SUA LINDA! CASA COMIGO!! EU TE AMO< SEJA MINHA WAIFU!
Nov 24, 2018 6:23 PM
Feb 2017
Well the battle is just not enough
Nov 24, 2018 6:35 PM

Sep 2010
tottobennington said:

For the same reason as everyone - to discuss it, and it's not complain, it's observation. As to other stuff to watch - offline part of the story is slightly interesting so I want to see how it will be helded.
Nov 24, 2018 6:45 PM
Sep 2018
Ookami-des said:
tottobennington said:

For the same reason as everyone - to discuss it, and it's not complain, it's observation. As to other stuff to watch - offline part of the story is slightly interesting so I want to see how it will be helded.

i bet there are other good shows you can be watching in this season, instead of this shit.
will both save your time and energy and brain cells.
Nov 24, 2018 6:56 PM

Sep 2010
sunnykappa said:

i bet there are other good shows you can be watching in this season, instead of this shit.
will both save your time and energy and brain cells.

Sadly that's not true - one of the worst seasons last years, barely watch 5, none of them noticeably interesting
Nov 24, 2018 7:34 PM

Jan 2016
An okay episode.

Katsu-kun said:
An emotional flashback scene and tears for dead flowers? Oh okay, sure, whatever.

Best replies so far.
Nov 24, 2018 8:09 PM
Jan 2018
Nayout said:
Ookami-des said:
The most impressive thing in this season is that people really like it.

It could be worse, it could be a generic comment of MAL, oh wait.

That's the worst comeback comment I've ever seen.
Nov 24, 2018 8:18 PM
Jan 2018
Another bad episode to add to the pile.

Did anybody else notice that Liena's mouth was too high for 15 seconds when she grabbed Kirito's shoulders?
The fighting choreography is the worst one in SAO so far.
Kirito can see what Uolo is feeling? Hilarious.
If Kirito imagines the bland characters he's met, he can go up to Uolo. Has he never done that before? He could have defeated Liena with that.
Most background characters' designs were goofy as hell.
Gorgolosso has done NOTHING. Even though he's "important" he hasn't even talked.
We somehow spend 6 minutes in the garden.
The two cliché characters show up and do bad stuff.
The flowers burst? Ok...
Kirito crying over dead flowers. Um... And not about anything else that has happened to him?
Kirito is still as generic as ever. Slightly more gay with the flower scene.
Deus Ex Machina voice appears.
Kirito explains what he was literally explained two seconds ago.
Liena just had to believe in herself to win. That still sounds stupid as hell; actually, even more stupid in the context we are given.
We are introduced to two bland characters.
The End.
TodAboTNov 24, 2018 8:28 PM
Nov 24, 2018 8:24 PM
Jan 2018
Windman said:
AdrianRubinsky said:
OK episode, I guess...

Good parts: High quality animation. Some good interactions between the characters.

Worst parts: I'm not really a fan of getting power by one's own will and not by experience and training. It is implied that it has something happening in school, like training, but the story barely told anthing about school experience. It was a big fast forward like nothing really happened.

I mean they did tell you about 1.5 years of time skip last episode and obviously some more months at the end of this episode...
Its not like powering up after 1 year of training with a certain goal in mind is an ass pull or anything. Also Kirito has the upper hand since he already has practical experience in his memories and also recognizes commonly used sword patterns from his immense gameplay time.

People actually think this is good character/world development?
We literally skipped that, Short Flashbacks or not.
That's the exact same problem we had in the first season of SAO.
Nov 24, 2018 8:27 PM
Jan 2018
idontknowsarcasm said:
Splizzex said:
When Kirito cries more from the death of the flowers than from the death of that girl from Season 1 you know they did something wrong back then.

-
in reality, in season 1 we just see a little of kirito crying we don't know if he cried all night.

>We aren't shown actual emotion over a traumatizing event (which could have happened or not).
>We are shown actual emotion over some flowers.

Great directing, I see.
Nov 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Jan 2011
Episode was iright pretty simple like if you replaced the dude kirito was fighting with the main girl of a Battle romance LN this would've been the very first fight that she declares on the MC for seeing her naked etc lol

but boy i can tell they are going to abuse this power of imagination a lottttttttttttttt
Nov 24, 2018 8:31 PM
Oct 2018
TodAboT said:
idontknowsarcasm said:

-

>We aren't shown actual emotion over a traumatizing event (which could have happened or not).

Great directing, I see.

-
°writing not directing.
°yes we are shown emotions upon losing a almost love interest of kirito.
°the flowers are really important for kirito.
but this...
-Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Nov 24, 2018 8:31 PM
Jan 2018
idontknowsarcasm said:
WordIsBond said:
Kirito crying over some flowers is possibly the gayest thing I've witnessed all year. How is this show rated over an 8?

-
i guess you did not pay atention then of the reasons he cried?
also, why the remark about the "being gay"? are you homophobic?

He didn't cry about actual traumatizing shit (friends dying, in coma, lost memories).
And don't make this political. It's called a joke.
Nov 24, 2018 8:32 PM
Nov 2018
I thought for sure that the fact he scratched the other guy's clothes meant he won. "First blood," right?

People discuss whether it is too simple to use "the power of your imagination" to win fights. Well, it's always like this in anime - a fight is won by Fighting For My Friends, or leveling up, or someone else joins the fight. I guess it's hard to draw fight scenes in a way that really shows skill winning the fight. Or maybe viewers simply like these kind of fights.

I didn't really like the flower scene, though. We already had one victory through unexpected magic. It seems to much to have another in the same episode. It was obvious since we first saw the flowers last time that they would be targeted, but I think that could have been used some other way. And I hate seeing bullies go away unpunished.

And speaking of bullies - as usual, guys with blond hair are evil, right? Both the figher and his henchman, with a grey-hair thrown in for variation without making the variation dark hair. Seems Japanese writers also watch the tripe from Hollywood. Oh, and if it's a guy with blond hair who comes from a wealthy family, then he's definitely evil.
Nov 24, 2018 8:33 PM
Jan 2018
idontknowsarcasm said:
TodAboT said:

Great directing, I see.

-
°writing not directing.
°yes we are shown emotions upon losing a almost love interest of kirito.
°the flowers are really important for kirito.

*it's a mix of both.
*the emotions were very tame, especially compared to this.
*crying over flowers? Really?
Nov 24, 2018 10:17 PM

Nov 2017
- The power of imagination... hmmm it reminds me of Disney :V
- the one and the most important rule for SAO : Kirito undefeated
Now Loading.....
Nov 24, 2018 10:58 PM

Sep 2017
Great episode as always.

I thought Kirito remembered Asuna and his friend there for a Sec. It probably won't be long till he gets memory back.

Volo and Liena had some samurai stance going on.
Good fight 👌.

Nov 24, 2018 11:06 PM

Nov 2011
Another thing that make Underworld different than VRMMO is that people's imagination can affect the world itself so yeah anything can happens.

Judging by the pacing, Alice will probably appears in 2 or 3 episodes.

bondtux said:

- the one and the most important rule for SAO : Kirito undefeated

They make it pretty clear that Kirito never beat his mentor but hey I guess your made up rule still hold up somehow.
Kaiser-chanNov 24, 2018 11:10 PM

Nov 24, 2018 11:32 PM
Jul 2012
TodAboT said:

Why do you people always find reasons to cry over lost content while not looking at the content provided? They skipped minor events compared to what is about to unfold. Thats like saying LotR is bad because its not showing the MCs bath during their daily lives. You are not supposed to be shown everything, learn to think for yourself for once and stop being a force-fed baby.
Nov 24, 2018 11:33 PM
Jul 2012
papsoshea said:
Love the bankai's lol

Those were Shikais, Bankais come up later on xD
Nov 25, 2018 12:04 AM
Oct 2018
This fight...

remind me accel world.

So far the adapatation has a good pacing with some minor event skipped.
Nov 25, 2018 12:27 AM

May 2015
So the Levantein rule is something like a placebo effect where you feel stronger simply by beating stronger opponents. I guess in terms of game experience, that kind of makes sense. I used to be afraid of Tigrex in Monster Hunter Freedom 2. After beating it the first time, it gave me the confidence to fight it some more. And then it became my favorite monster to fight against in the series.

Volo has an ugly face...

Well that was a disappointing fight. Just another blade lock...

Kirito revives his flowers with the power of "Imagination". We're going to see some Fantasia-level shenanigans in here, aren't we?

Yep, Volo vs. Liena does it again. The sakuga animation only happens when there is only one person on screen, and then the animation slows down when there are two on screen. It looks kind of funny when you see the swords being swung in first person.
TarotistNov 25, 2018 12:30 AM
Nov 25, 2018 12:29 AM

Jan 2017
*thinks about Asuna*
Kirito: MAH WOOD IS GETTING BIGGER!
Nov 25, 2018 12:33 AM
Nov 2018
I AM WONDERING ,WHO IS SEAT 5?IS IT KIRITO OR EUGUEO
Nov 25, 2018 12:35 AM
Nov 2018
Just clear my doubt someone
Nov 25, 2018 1:06 AM

Jun 2017
Otakulover209766 said:
I AM WONDERING ,WHO IS SEAT 5?IS IT KIRITO OR EUGUEO

It doesn't really matter, but it is Kirito.
Nov 25, 2018 1:09 AM

Nov 2014
For a moment I thought Kirito might actually lose this duel. Good to see him still being OP.
This episode had some great light effects :o
Nov 25, 2018 1:45 AM

Oct 2015
Pretty good episode although not much happened if you really think about it. That duel between Kirito and Volo didn't have much substance and yet Riena called it splendid. Volo only really swung his sword 3 times.

I'm interested to see what will happen in the next few episodes. So far there hasn't been any major plot developments inside Rath, so I would like to see what sort of things will fill up the 50 ~ episodes.
Nov 25, 2018 1:51 AM

Mar 2018
Windman said:
tsubasalover said:
His opponent is master of sword skill using imagination. He has many people (or multiple of himself?) behind him.

Main guy thinking about many people involving with him, his sword got longer.

A teacher who is superior to him stopped the fight and he's free to go.

His senpai is happy that he didn't give up, so being "draw" is not a problem.

Celebrating with wine (wait, is main guy old enough already?). His senpai talking about her skill and her bewilderment. She decided she won't give up for the upcoming duel

The two guys who doesn't seem to like main guy looking low on him and think that it was just luck. And broke the flowers he's been tending.

The voice telling him not to give up.

Other flowers sharing the life.

The fated duel. She finally won. The two are also advanced and got two female kouhais.

Their journey continues.

Masochism...why bother watching something you dont like, clearly you are the minority so just stop watching it. Everything that happened in this episode was well paced and explained. The one ass-pull is further explained in vol11, probably in 3-4 episodes.

I'm... I'm pretty sure that wasn't a negative comment, just a plot synopsis.
Nov 25, 2018 1:53 AM

Mar 2018
Leo said:
A good episode.

It was nice to see Kirito duel against the first seat. It seems they ignored the little scratch Kirito made to the first seat's uniform.

Liena winning was also nice to see.

I'm pretty sure that he had to draw blood to win, not just leave a mark.
Nov 25, 2018 2:16 AM
Jan 2018
TodAboT said:
Windman said:

I mean they did tell you about 1.5 years of time skip last episode and obviously some more months at the end of this episode...
Its not like powering up after 1 year of training with a certain goal in mind is an ass pull or anything. Also Kirito has the upper hand since he already has practical experience in his memories and also recognizes commonly used sword patterns from his immense gameplay time.

It would have only been one epiosde. And the time skip would have still happend
Mattinator95Nov 25, 2018 3:02 AM
Nov 25, 2018 2:25 AM

Oct 2017
So... thinking about Asuna made Kirito's sword grow longer. Damn... as expected of SAO.

Nov 25, 2018 4:55 AM

Jul 2016
Uolo: Bankai! xD

A1 really putting budget for that much flashy effects for the incarnation powers, this made me look forward for the upcoming battles of incarnation.

With the dead flowers, Kirito finally realized that he miss his love ones in the real world, well its 2 years in his perspective.

One volume left remaining before the the next sub arc which will be the fights with the real tough guys of underworld, very much looking forward.
Nov 25, 2018 6:27 AM
Aug 2017
cronoSpirA said:
Uolo: Bankai! xD

A1 really putting budget for that much flashy effects for the incarnation powers, this made me look forward for the upcoming battles of incarnation.

With the dead flowers, Kirito finally realized that he miss his love ones in the real world, well its 2 years in his perspective.

One volume left remaining before the the next sub arc which will be the fights with the real tough guys of underworld, very much looking forward.

It's not a bankai yet, just incarnation. You know what i mean

Can't wait to see the opponent come with bankai in that tower.

Kirito's and Eugeo's bankai will appear in second cour i guess.

What?? Bankai?? Just wait XD

Next two episode will be interesting, aww megaaa.. megaaa..
WBLHMD753Nov 25, 2018 6:31 AM
Nov 25, 2018 6:48 AM

Jul 2014
Anticlimactic fight, complete waste of time with the stupid bullshit imagination power crap. Yeah, watching two people stand in place and anime roar while their swords glowed was so worthwhile, not! That said, I do at least like the idea of Uolo essentially being some kind of vampire, using his blade to "drain" his foes and get stronger in the process, but we don't really see any of that in the "fight" itself.

The flower thing was also moronic, but at least the show gave some decent reasoning for Kirito being so upset (while at the same time completely glossing over how vandalism almost certainly violates the Taboo Index, which we've been explicitly told is impossible for the Fluctlights to do (even Alice only violated it by accident)).

I like SAO a lot, but this season is taking a direction that I'm not at all fond of at late, to say the least.
Nov 25, 2018 7:01 AM
Jan 2018
Atavistic said:
Anticlimactic fight, complete waste of time with the stupid bullshit imagination power crap. Yeah, watching two people stand in place and anime roar while their swords glowed was so worthwhile, not! That said, I do at least like the idea of Uolo essentially being some kind of vampire, using his blade to "drain" his foes and get stronger in the process, but we don't really see any of that in the "fight" itself.

The flower thing was also moronic, but at least the show gave some decent reasoning for Kirito being so upset (while at the same time completely glossing over how vandalism almost certainly violates the Taboo Index, which we've been explicitly told is impossible for the Fluctlights to do (even Alice only violated it by accident)).

I like SAO a lot, but this season is taking a direction that I'm not at all fond of at late, to say the least.

Taboo Index protects property and as the soil that was used was not owned by anyone it didn't violate it
Mattinator95Nov 25, 2018 7:16 AM
Nov 25, 2018 7:13 AM

Feb 2014
The flashy effects for Kirito's battle with Volo looked really impressive. He did very well to match him, but the match did end a little too quickly.

Those scumbag duo just had to ruin Kirito's flower bed, didn't they? I had a feeling that they would do that in the last episode, but the fact that they did that makes me want to give them a good punch in the face. Those flowers did mean so much for Kirito since, from his perspective, it's been two years since he last saw Asuna and his friends, so seeing him cry made the scene pretty sad, but the mysterious voice spoke to him, which led to the flower beds nearby to revive Kirito's flowers. =)

Liena was epic, though, not only with her talk with Kirito, but also when she finally beat Volo just before she graduated. Nicely done. =)

Lastly, the new disciples for Kirito and Eugeo looked really cute. I hope we see more of them in the later episodes.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.