Forum Settings
Forums

An anime that was carried by a single character?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Nov 23, 2018 10:04 PM

Have you ever watched an anime where a single character was the only reason you liked the show?

My pick would definitely be One outs. Without Tokuchi, I would’ve probably dropped it.
Modified by Hajime_Hinata, Jul 16, 7:29 AM

Nov 23, 2018 10:08 PM

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Without Reinhard von Lohengramm I don't think I would’ve like it this much.

Nov 23, 2018 10:08 PM
Slumber

Thinking about it, Hei from Darker than Black was the only character i cared about, at all.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Nov 23, 2018 10:12 PM

Betelgeuse from Re:Zero because he feels like a Jojo character lmao.
Anime sucks, all of them are bad and that's a fact!

Nov 23, 2018 10:13 PM
Kamina from Gurren Lagann, no contest.

Nov 23, 2018 10:14 PM

Zero Two from ditf, she legit carried hole show alone, last episodes I finished only because of her.

Nov 23, 2018 10:14 PM
Nishikinomiya Anna from Shimoneta. A spectacle to behold.

Nov 23, 2018 10:20 PM
San-Diego said:
Betelgeuse from Re:Zero because he feels like a Jojo character lmao.

he feels more like the Joker from Batman

Yuno Gasai

Nov 23, 2018 10:24 PM

Yoko Littner
Episode 8 I was super close to dropping Gurren Lagannn but Yoko I fell in love with so.

Nov 23, 2018 10:26 PM

I guess Lain from SEL. Though I guess it was supposed that you only cared for her lol, so I dunno if it counts.

Nov 23, 2018 10:26 PM
Code Geass R2 completely by Lelouch (Zero Requim)
Death Note- second arc carried solely by Light and not even worth the entire 12 episodes.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."

Nov 23, 2018 10:29 PM

I know My hero Academia is very popular and many people love it. But for me personally(despite being a shounen fan), I don't really like it. It's not bad, just average for me. Sometimes predictable and bit too cliche which makes it cringy. I'd rather just re-watch Hunter x Hunter or FMAB.

The only reason I watched it till now and will be watching it further on is because of Bakugou. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have continued the show after season two.

Nov 23, 2018 10:29 PM

People will get mad at me but Code Geass. This doesn't necessarily make it a bad show though.

Nov 23, 2018 10:33 PM

- Psycho Pass (Kougami)
- Fate (Shirou)
- To Aru series (Touma)
- Code Geass (Lelouch)
- SNK (EREN)
- Darker than Black ( Hei)

Nov 23, 2018 10:36 PM

Naruto without Naruto is something that mind-blowning.

Nov 23, 2018 10:37 PM
Slumber

Congintive said:
- Psycho Pass (Kougami)
- Fate (Shirou)
Kougami was such a cornerstone to the series, gah.
Shirou is a low for me, just above Shinji.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Nov 23, 2018 10:38 PM

Kougami really did carry Psycho Pass. Akane is great, but without Kougami it doesn't feel like Psycho-Pass is at its full potential.

Nov 23, 2018 10:39 PM
aidoru material

serial experiments lain without lain is pretty much worthless
the characterization of this anime is one of the worst out there
and beside lain all other characters are mundane and forgettable

Nov 23, 2018 10:48 PM
Winged Hussar*

Shiba, Tatsuya
Emiya, Kiritsugu
Saiki, Kusuo
https://myanimelist.net/character/96065/Tanaka
Handa, Sei
https://myanimelist.net/character/91959/Sakamoto
Yuuko Ichihara
https://myanimelist.net/character/458/Revy
Kusanagi Mokoto
here u go

Well...
Not like i care
and not like i will...

Nov 23, 2018 10:57 PM

81Koyomi_Araragi said:
I know My hero Academia is very popular and many people love it. But for me personally(despite being a shounen fan), I don't really like it. It's not bad, just average for me. Sometimes predictable and bit too cliche which makes it cringy. I'd rather just re-watch Hunter x Hunter or FMAB.

The only reason I watched it till now and will be watching it further on is because of Bakugou. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have continued the show after season two.

Same, generally most of my favs actually are Shounen and I loved most I have seen.
To me, it's Todoroki, even if I like Bakugo as well. I'm just not that excited about him and other characters there, but if I had to choose a second favorite, it would be Bakugou then.
I even can't say anything bad about the series and don't want to be unfair either. I personally just don't like superheroes at all and I also dislike tournament arcs and other specific Shounen tropes, which are stronger there than at others. Also, good animated battles are nice and neat and all, but they are just a gimmick for me. I can't care about battles this much to get overly excited. If it wasn't for everything non battle related-plot and character arcs, tournaments and co. would bore me to sleep.
Most of the humor and character designs (speaking from appearance) also don't resemble with me.

Soul Eater was very similar to me. I liked the story very much, but everything was so over the top to me. I even can't critize both anime since I knew what they will be like.
If I have to choose, I would pick Death the Kid here, although he's not one of my favs and it was carried by the whole story.

Another anime character that carried the whole story is for sure Holo from Spice and Wolf. Don't get me wrong, Lawrence alone is pretty okay, but the story / premise would have been boring without Holo and his interactions with her.

And ofc Zero Two from Darling in the Franxx carried this thing on her own.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Nov 23, 2018 11:09 PM

Nov 23, 2018 11:10 PM

Hajime_Hinata said:
Have you ever watched an anime ,where a single character was the only reason you liked the show?

Yeah, there's been a couple I can think of off the top of my head.
- Occultic;Nine because of Ryouka
- SoniAni because of Super Sonico

They are far from being considered masterpieces.
I only kept watching them because of having an attractive main girl.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 23, 2018 11:14 PM
Hajime_Hinata said:
Have you ever watched an anime ,where a single character was the only reason you liked the show?

My pick would definitely be One outs without Tokuchi ,I would’ve probably dropped it.

Yes there’s lucoa from dragon maid

Nov 23, 2018 11:15 PM

Rei ayanami from Neo genesis evangelion

Sinon from sword art online

Nov 23, 2018 11:22 PM
I watched MHA just because of Al might. It happen to see a bit of the fight between him and Noumu first and then i started the serie and i liked it.
Modified by removed-user, Nov 23, 2018 11:31 PM

Nov 23, 2018 11:52 PM

This thread is kinda pointless if everyone just says the MCs. Naturally the MC of an anime is the character with the most impact and influence

Nov 24, 2018 12:01 AM

Loathsome said:

Yuuko Ichihara

I second this.

She's not the protagonist of xxxHolic but, if Yuuko wasn't in the show, there would be very little reason for anyone to watch it.

Also, the same applies to Nana from Elfen Lied. To me, Elfen Lied was an extremely flawed anime but it did have its redeemable qualities and I genuinely feel as though Nana brought out the best in this show. Her entire arc was the perfect fit for the ideas the series focused on.

Nana should've been Elfen Lied's main character.

Nov 24, 2018 12:05 AM
I think a lot can agree Zero Two from Darling in the franxx. Without her every character would have been so mainstream. She was the most interesting out of everyone obviously. Sadly I dropped the show because of how the pacing was handled with such a simple concept.
UselessSakura said:
Zero Two from ditf, she legit carried hole show alone, last episodes I finished only because of her.

Nov 24, 2018 12:05 AM

Adagaki Aki from Masamune-kun no Revenge

Ryuugajou Nanana from Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin

Both anime are watchable and enjoyable (cause of the girl), but meh/kinda bad and the other characters sucked but I liked the girl, (she was cute/hot/fappable/my type) so I got something out of it to continue watching, the girl alone also bumped score up by 1.

Nov 24, 2018 2:04 AM
Yeah, like Gosick.

Or Dance in The Vampire Bund.

But aside from that, I haven't seen much anime like that. Most at least have 2 characters which are interesting, or none at all.

Nov 24, 2018 2:11 AM

Probably Hei from darker than black season 1. In season 2 he was an alcoholic and... brought down his character imo which is why season 2 was so bad.

Nov 24, 2018 2:19 AM

Ezra is the only reason I put up with Fairy Tail for as long as I did.

Nov 24, 2018 2:21 AM

Thorf said:
Probably Hei from darker than black season 1. In season 2 he was an alcoholic and... brought down his character imo which is why season 2 was so bad.

Season 2 is great if you watch the OVA that takes place between the seasons and explains why he's the way he is.

Nov 24, 2018 2:33 AM
Forum Moderator
The best example of this for me is Ergo Proxy. I would have probably dropped that show somewhere in the second half if not for Pino being so cute. I literally only finished that show for her :D

Nov 24, 2018 2:41 AM

Nagisa's dad in Clannad was pretty cool, perhaps the only particularly good character in a sea of of bad and meh characters.

Nov 24, 2018 2:50 AM
Venomous said:
People will get mad at me but Code Geass. This doesn't necessarily make it a bad show though.

i was thinking the same
cause if we take out lelouch and like make kallen or whomever the main one
how much great is code geass
code geass is in my top 5 but all that cause of lelouch

Nov 24, 2018 2:53 AM
I know it's weird. We are talking about HxH probably best shounen ever created so far but if it wasn't for Netero and Meruem(Especially Netero) The anime in my humble opinion would've been less better. God bless the author for making a character like Netero.

Nov 24, 2018 2:58 AM

For me bakemonogatari was carried by senjogahara, that's why I dropped the sequel quite quickly.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Nov 24, 2018 3:00 AM

You would not watch this if not for God of Conquest.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book is live. Click here to participate."

Current status (10/10): All goal cleared
Stretch goal 3 (24/10): $107,217/85,000

Nov 24, 2018 3:03 AM

I feel the same OP. I watched One Outs just for Tokuchi.

Nov 24, 2018 3:13 AM

Re: Zero was carried by Rem.

Same as Franxx was carried by Zero.

Nov 24, 2018 3:32 AM

3-gatsu no Lion without Rei would be nothing or at least the story was very different

Nov 24, 2018 3:39 AM

Gasai Yuno is my answer, I even rated MN 8.
Not that related: FC Barcelona will lose 40% of its fanbase after Messi retires.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Nov 24, 2018 3:44 AM

Akashic Records was carried by Glenn
Classroom of the Elite was carried by Ayanokoji
Shiro was literally the only reason why I didn't drop Deadman Wonderland as soon as episode 1

Nov 24, 2018 3:48 AM

Vorpality said:
Thorf said:

Season 2 is great if you watch the OVA that takes place between the seasons and explains why he's the way he is.
Yeah I understand that, but I just think it was a huge step down from season 1 overall.

Nov 24, 2018 3:50 AM

Watching a series for the main character is normal FFS.
I love her.

Nov 24, 2018 3:53 AM

Hmm.. Many easy ones, like take one person out of a two person love story (Tsuki ga Kirei).

Or take the MC all drama revolves around out of a romcom (Oregairu).

I guess I would consider Noragami absolutely worthless without Yato's personality.

Oh, I know. Grisaia without Yuuji would be torture. With him you have a comrade that is as fed up as you are (though begs the question, why bother?).

Nov 24, 2018 4:06 AM

-makishima
-hisoka, though he didn't cary the whole series he "caried" the beginign and elevated it rising my interest in HxH a lot.
there are others who are the MCs but saying so would be useless cause of course we kinda watch a series for it's mc.
Congintive said:
- Psycho Pass (Kougami)
- Fate (Shirou)
funny cause for me psycho pass was caried by makishima(though I would have probably liked it without him but like a 6/10 at best tbh)
and fate for me wasn't caried at all by shirou, tbh I don't get what you like about this character, if you can tell me. zero, for me wasn't caried by kirei but he made the whole series go 1 or 2 point alone.
Tensoon said:
This thread is kinda pointless if everyone just says the MCs. Naturally the MC of an anime is the character with the most impact and influence
yea I feel like some people don't understand the question very well.

Nov 24, 2018 4:09 AM

I started Owari no seraph for Shinoa and stayed for Krul. What can I say? I like gothic lolita vampires.

Nov 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Onii-chan (Kaname Asagiri) in Mahou Shoujo Site. He was the only memorable character of that series, anytime he appeared, he always ended stealing the whole show, and was also the most effective comedic relief that anime had. It helped the rest of the characters ranged from just slightly amusing to complete shit. But Onii-chan was on a whole different level. He was a blessing, tbh. Best boy from Spring 2018, to be honest.

Nov 24, 2018 6:33 AM
Hei from Darker than Black
Accelerator from Toaru Majutsu no Index
Girge from Break Blade
Slaine from Aldnoah Shit Zero
Minene Uryuu and Akise from Mirai Nikki
Ban, King, and Diane from Nanatsu no Taizai
Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing

Pages (2) [1] 2 »