Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Zombieland Saga Episode 8 Discussion

Jan 14, 2019 7:04 AM
君を笑いに来た

I didn’t know if this episode was supposed to be funny or sad, so my expression was blank the whole time. Lily’s death was so ridiculous but the overall tone of that scene was serious so I didn’t know how to react for most of it. Ai’s death was far more tragic than this episode.

I don’t understand how some people think this is GOOD trans representation, the only thing that was decent was how the others were accepting of her. There was no buildup whatsoever for the reveal, and Lily would’ve been a perfectly good character even without the “oh she was actually born a guy” trope you see all the time in anime. All it does is spark more arguments about the use of pronouns online, and most of the time it’s used as a bullshit character “trait”.

I was really enjoying this series at first but some episodes are too idol-like for my taste. Honestly, I just want to see more Koutarou.
Modified by GlowingAura, Jan 14, 2019 7:12 AM

Jan 14, 2019 7:18 AM
Jonesy974 said:

You wanna talk about me "coming back" to this argument after you decide to reply a few days shy of a month from the last time? Holy shit you're dumb.

I think this is like the 4th time now that you've told me you "gave the literal definition" of evidence. Not sure why though, because no matter how many times you've said it, it's never once bolstered your argument, only weakened it.

"In order for an abandon masculine name to not be more likely given trans, it would have to be just as common among cis girl characters. Or to put it more bluntly just as uncommon among trans characters". Uh no. Seeing as how we're discussing a fictional anime character, that ratio has literally zero merit.

Official statement from the creators is now in "word of god" territory now? Yikes, I dont think extreme over exaggerations are doing anything but digging your own hole even deeper.

Goddamn. Maybe take another month off to formulate another argument and try again.

"word of god" is a common idiom used for when an author comfirms something outside of the work.

Btw do you even read my posts? I didn't even see yours until I came back to the forum. I didn't get a notification.

I keep bringing up the definition of evidence, because you keep saying that a masculine name isn't evidence, because it isn't absolute proof. In this last post I spelled out how you could attack my argument, instead of ignoring it.

For instance, if Japanese trans people/characters don't usually change their names. that would make it weaker evidence.

But instead you just waste time calling people stupid sjws as if that was an argument.

Jan 15, 2019 6:12 AM

GlowingAura said:
I don’t understand how some people think this is GOOD trans representation, the only thing that was decent was how the others were accepting of her. There was no buildup whatsoever for the reveal, and Lily would’ve been a perfectly good character even without the “oh she was actually born a guy” trope you see all the time in anime. All it does is spark more arguments about the use of pronouns online, and most of the time it’s used as a bullshit character “trait”.

Well, it's just good enough if you ask me. Not turning it into a major narrative theme can be either seen as a positive or a negative (depending on what kind of narration you would like), but for the most part is just part of its normalisation as a premise, like she is just trans, the other characters accept it and move on. I think Lily's reveal wouldn't have been so discussed if there wasn't so much controversy around her identity. Because she's not the first trans or gender nonconforming character in anime, she's just the one that most people noticed and reacted against.

I don't think you need a special "buildup" for a trans character to be revealed as trans. Being an episode about her past life in a series structured in individual backstory episodes, I think this was the right moment to put it.
Modified by jal90, Jan 15, 2019 6:16 AM

Jan 17, 2019 3:59 PM

That sure was quite the tragic death... quite something for some background and character development I must say! Really did quite like it and especially that ending! Great episode.

Feb 1, 2019 6:59 AM

Quite an emotional episode. Lily's past is cute but also tragic. Her father is one man with heart i give him that.

Those feels.

Feb 14, 2019 1:26 PM

2018/2019, where anime traps are now "trans representation"
what a load of bullshit
why do you guys have to force your way into every community?

Mar 1, 2019 2:43 PM

ex_necross said:
what a load of bullshit

Lily is a girl though; the story and official twitter account for the show are very clear on that.

https://twitter.com/sagazombieland/status/1066043317274652672?lang=en

She was born a boy of course, but she clearly states that was her old name, as she doesn't identify as her birth gender or with her given masculine name.

This is very different form the attitude of a character such as say, Hideri Kanzaki from Blend-S. A character who wants to be an idol and loves cute girly clothes but still identifies as a boy and kinda loves fooling people, knowing his specific customers at the cafe are attracted to this sort of Trap persona, he goes and plays it up~ lol
The character of Lily is also in stark contrast of a character like Luka Urushibara form Steins;Gate. An effeminate boy who is often mistaken for a girl by most strangers, but while embarrassed by it, will clarify to people that he is, in fact male, as well as choosing to use male pronouns, but unlike Hideri above is more implied to be homosexual.

So Lily is literally trans. This isn't some invasion, it's just a case of a rarely used character archetype being used in anime when compared to the ever more popular versions of traps to be found out there. No need to be up in arms about it lol :p

I think this video does a very good job at explaining it more so than me ^^;
please give it a quick watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeB2AXIG3E
forget the click baity title and you only need to watch the 1st 2 minutes. The rest of the video explains the origins of traps and the differences between cross dressers and trans and traps etc.

Mar 1, 2019 7:45 PM
Short_Circut said:
So Sakura dies by Bus-kun, Ai dies by Lightning-kun and now Lily dies by Facial Hair-kun

Junko by Airplane-kun

Mar 4, 2019 6:25 AM

SuperMilk-chan said:
ex_necross said:
what a load of bullshit

Lily is a girl though; the story and official twitter account for the show are very clear on that.

https://twitter.com/sagazombieland/status/1066043317274652672?lang=en

She was born a boy of course, but she clearly states that was her old name, as she doesn't identify as her birth gender or with her given masculine name.

This is very different form the attitude of a character such as say, Hideri Kanzaki from Blend-S. A character who wants to be an idol and loves cute girly clothes but still identifies as a boy and kinda loves fooling people, knowing his specific customers at the cafe are attracted to this sort of Trap persona, he goes and plays it up~ lol
The character of Lily is also in stark contrast of a character like Luka Urushibara form Steins;Gate. An effeminate boy who is often mistaken for a girl by most strangers, but while embarrassed by it, will clarify to people that he is, in fact male, as well as choosing to use male pronouns, but unlike Hideri above is more implied to be homosexual.

So Lily is literally trans. This isn't some invasion, it's just a case of a rarely used character archetype being used in anime when compared to the ever more popular versions of traps to be found out there. No need to be up in arms about it lol :p

I think this video does a very good job at explaining it more so than me ^^;
please give it a quick watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeB2AXIG3E
forget the click baity title and you only need to watch the 1st 2 minutes. The rest of the video explains the origins of traps and the differences between cross dressers and trans and traps etc.

You totally missed the point of my post. I do not give a shit what "gender" this anime trap is. This long-winded post trying to convince me the gender of this anime character is the type of thing I was making fun of in the first place.
Modified by ex_necross, Mar 4, 2019 6:29 AM

Mar 5, 2019 3:18 AM

After rewinding the episode at certain points to clarify some things: I got a better understanding of a scene that confused me.
- when Lily was locked in the room she said to her dad "I don't want to look like you..." she was reallly saying that she'll literally lose her loli charm and become a hulking muscular beast like her dad. Seeing facial hair beginning, just confirmed her fear.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.

Mar 9, 2019 7:44 AM

The feels!! So beautiful song !!

Mar 11, 2019 5:06 PM
Scary looking no matter how much feels got into ya', I can relate to her father.

Recently watched this one and got curious 'bout how people reacted.
Forums are filled with those kind of dudes eh, still as hilarious as last time I checked MAL.

Mar 30, 2019 5:32 PM

I felt sad about what happened to Lily's dad. You lose your wife and then your child as you neglected some things they wanted to do and realized your mistake to late. I'm glad Lily was able to reach out to her father in the end but I would have liked it if there was some way for her to say that it really is her and not have her father freak out or at least be able to still spend time with her. This was a good episode.

Mar 31, 2019 12:33 AM

Hahha, aww. Sweet how Masao's dad accepted her as Lily :')

I cracked up on the death, but the part where Papi was grieving and broke the TV was so sad :( it's a good thing he didn't kill himself to be with his wife and daughter. Sweet big guy <3 Episode ended real nice TTuTT

Lily needs to work on her beginning lyrics tho fr LMAO

Apr 6, 2019 11:34 AM
Okay... Can we all stop for a while and appreciate the fact we are slowly getting to know more stuff about all members, how they died and what kind of life they lived before?

Also, this episode was really sad and emotional; I really didn't expect something deep from this anime so I'm surprised - in a good way of course.

And...

Can we all give a supportive hug to this sweetie? She really deserves it!

May 7, 2019 4:18 AM

really loved the episode!
but i regret coming to this thread
its full of people that come up with stupid standards for "proof" and are not willing to have a civilised debated when someone disagrees with them

May 10, 2019 11:08 AM
Aww that was a really sweet ending. How could she die from that, like plucking a hair really xD. Lilys a trap huh. Im glad his relationship with his father went really well.

Jun 25, 2019 8:01 AM

Lily is not a Trap. If Lily a boy still identifies as a boy but likes to dress as girls it would be a crossdresser/trap. But Lily literally dies on seeing facial hair, which shows how against she is in having a a male body. She seemed happy to have died before her body changes. She is more like a Trans i think, though I can't speak for trans people but calling her trap feels wrong.

Jul 18, 2019 7:32 AM
私は 愛し てる僕のヒーローアカ

I am crying.Before watching the episode,I was wondering why this episode had 300 and something comments which is a lot for this anime.But now after seeing this episode,I really love Lily and her dad. :(.i think from now on every episode will be about someone's story.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Aug 18, 2019 2:29 PM

When Koutarou wants to scream at you, he will scream at you, there is no correct answer Sakura.

Need all of these and much more Junko
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?

Aug 18, 2019 8:54 PM

It's sad to read some people calling Lily a "trap".
She's a trans girl. Stop saying that stupid slur.

Oct 3, 2019 8:40 AM

sad to see that most people commenting here are absolute idiots who are also sexualizing a child

Oct 11, 2019 1:38 PM

Lol @ everyone getting triggered by a fictional character.

Lily being a boy is weird for me because of that damn voice. Twelve-year-old boys just don't sound like that. Three years old, sure but not twelve. If the seiyuu was tomboyish, like Romi Paku, it'd be less weird.

Poor dad. :( living all by himself. It's sad how nobody will let their kids near him because he "looks scary." xD
Modified by Chiibi, Oct 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Nov 30, 2019 11:57 AM

Damn, this was so depressing yet entertaining at the same time. A 10/10 episode.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character

Jan 10, 8:43 AM
i sure love how the trans community is patting themselves on the back because of this episode (/s for the first words)
reading all the comments on social media is so funny, they act so cringy on the internet

Jan 10, 8:50 AM

It ain't a slur though, go back to your echo chamber on twitter next time

Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]