Forum Settings
Forums
New
Should there be more rap in anime?
Nov 21, 2018 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
I think there should. I absolutely love rap to death, and non-Japanese viewers seem to like anime that has rap in it (generally speaking). I mean, the rap battle scene from Zombieland Saga episode 2 has become a full-meme.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 21, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2009
anime songs have as many words as raps already anyway
Nov 21, 2018 1:03 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
No, because I really hate rap in general.
Nov 21, 2018 1:04 PM

Dec 2017
if you guys have some good rap clips, i would like to watch them. as for some of them are really well done, like the ones from Devilman: Crybaby and Zombieland Saga
i think creating a rap song has more difficulties, more verses, more bars to come up with. yeah, i really wish for some more rapping in animu
uninstallthegameNov 21, 2018 1:07 PM
Nov 21, 2018 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
I wish. I'm big fan of RAP in general so why not.
Nov 21, 2018 1:15 PM

Oct 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
I think there should. I absolutely love rap to death, and non-Japanese viewers seem to like anime that has rap in it (generally speaking). I mean, the rap battle scene from Zombieland Saga episode 2 has become a full-meme.

I can see people liking a rap song for background in a shounen fight scene or something, but I think japanese music is a unique kind of music style that already incoorperates enough evocative sound. So over all I don't think you should get those two mixed up too heavily, but I like both each to their own.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Nov 21, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2010
I wouldn't mind, but since rap is a very lyrical-oriented music genre for me I don't get much out of foreign language rap music, including japanese one. Of course if we're just talking about hiphop instrumentals, they are universal, but rap implies, well, rap, and that just doesn't do much for me when it's in japanese.

uninstallthegame said:
if you guys have some good rap clips, i would like to watch them. as for some of them are really well done, like the ones from Devilman: Crybaby and Zombieland Saga
i think creating a rap song has more difficulties, more verses, more bars to come up with. yeah, i really wish for some more rapping in animu

how about https://youtu.be/_Vnt_dBPOj8?t=63
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 21, 2018 1:25 PM
Nov 2018
Japanese raps in anime are better than any English raps I have seen, both Aggretsuko and Zombieland. I don't mind having more :D
Nov 21, 2018 2:53 PM

Oct 2012
Is there a moe rap idol girl's show yet? If not I think we're in to something
Nov 21, 2018 2:54 PM

Oct 2018
I liked the raping in Devilman and that's about it

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Nov 21, 2018 2:59 PM

Jun 2015
i mean... its the genre of music i do the most work in so ya. where applicable of course. Rap amv's are popular tho so those are fun to watch for harder rap/sad rap as opposed to just like nujabes style shit
Nov 21, 2018 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
DepravedMagi said:
No, because I really hate rap in general.

Why? Only curious, what parts about rap do you dislike?
Nov 21, 2018 3:06 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Yes! We need more rap in anime!

Please Japan.
Nov 21, 2018 3:07 PM

Apr 2018
I would like it as long as it's more of a rap like in Afro Samurai or Samurai Champloo and not that garbage mumble rap that gets put out nowadays.
Nov 21, 2018 3:08 PM

Dec 2016
Rap has never appealed to me so short answer: no.
Nov 21, 2018 3:11 PM

Jul 2014
As a fan of the genre, I'd be pretty stoked.

Lucky_To_Revy said:
I would like it as long as it's more of a rap like in Afro Samurai or Samurai Champloo and not that garbage mumble rap that gets put out nowadays.

Pretty much this.
Take care of yourself

Nov 21, 2018 3:12 PM

Nov 2013
Yes, I love rape, there should be more rape scene like in Goblin Slayer
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Nov 21, 2018 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
hmm no
i like rap but not when it's part of anime
Nov 21, 2018 3:18 PM

Jul 2017
Not a massive fan of rap so can't really say. But the real point is actually implementing rap into the situation. Zombieland saga's rap was done in a totally comical sense and Devilman Crybaby involved "gangsters" rapping. None of which you'd really find in your average run of the mill SoL.

In use of OP and ED's that'd have to depend on the tone of the show. Something like Beyond the Boundary would be really weird if there was rap in the intro but something like Banana Fish for instance would make more sense
Nov 21, 2018 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
Not a massive fan of rap so can't really say. But the real point is actually implementing rap into the situation. Zombieland saga's rap was done in a totally comical sense and Devilman Crybaby involved "gangsters" rapping. None of which you'd really find in your average run of the mill SoL.

In use of OP and ED's that'd have to depend on the tone of the show. Something like Beyond the Boundary would be really weird if there was rap in the intro but something like Banana Fish for instance would make more sense

Hmm...that makes sense. I actually agree.
Nov 21, 2018 3:28 PM

Nov 2018
I'm biased.

Rap is my favorite genre of music. Samurai Champloo is, in my opinion, one of the best anime ever made. And Killer Bee is my favorite shinobi in Naruto.

I do wish there were more aspects of rap culture that could make its way into anime. It seems like there's been some slow bleeding over for years now, but I want another anime like Samurai Champloo that is almost dazzlingly hip-hop in its aesthetic, style, and sound. I just think its an interesting element to see portrayed in anime (and anime does it so comically too).
Nov 21, 2018 3:28 PM
Jul 2017
There should be an anime about JRap. I mean, there’s anime about ballroom dancing, ping pong, shogi, badminton, food, etc. This proves that anime could be about anything and still be entertaining. An anime about rap could be amazing if done right.
Nov 21, 2018 3:35 PM

Feb 2010
I just remembered another show people who like rap & Hiphop should consider checking out.
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Also not sure Tokyo Tribe 2 has been mentioned already.

alongside Samurai Champloo those are the two only anime (I think) that really incorporate a lot of elements of the hiphop subculture.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 21, 2018 4:24 PM

May 2016
Yea everytime a rap song comes on I turn the volume up j rap is pretty koo
Nov 21, 2018 4:35 PM
Feb 2014
Ewww no! I hate rap, keep that crap away from anime!!! >_<
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Nov 21, 2018 4:41 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
I vehemently object to this. Rap is about many different things including mainly lyrical content and rhythm, you simply cannot translate that via subtitles, you MUST know the language. You cannot follow the syllables in context or accurately at all, not to mention subtitles are often ass backwards and rap songs in other languages makes it way worse, nothing rhymes and you don't know if it's impresssive or not even if it did. It's equivalent to seeing something happen in front of your eyes and being told something else. Rap can bend or break words, and you're never going to understand it in a language you aren't fluent in.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Nov 21, 2018 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
not really because i don't like rap at all.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Nov 21, 2018 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HopefulNihilist said:
I vehemently object to this. Rap is about many different things including mainly lyrical content and rhythm, you simply cannot translate that via subtitles, you MUST know the language. You cannot follow the syllables in context or accurately at all, not to mention subtitles are often ass backwards and rap songs in other languages makes it way worse, nothing rhymes and you don't know if it's impresssive or not even if it did. It's equivalent to seeing something happen in front of your eyes and being told something else. Rap can bend or break words, and you're never going to understand it in a language you aren't fluent in.

You can still put subtitles to explain what the rap song is saying. But it won't rhyme.
Nov 21, 2018 5:04 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Lunilah said:

You can still put subtitles to explain what the rap song is saying. But it won't rhyme.
Not rhyming among other things, thus defeating the purpose entirely. I'm not saying i don't want rap in anime, anime isn't made with the west in mind much. But people fooling themselves into liking the rap aspect bother me, and should stick to following tempo.

Nov 21, 2018 5:05 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Sure, I’d love to see more rap like that of Zombieland Saga.
It really was great, wasn’t it?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 21, 2018 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
More rap battles like in Zombieland Saga.
Nov 21, 2018 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Not rhyming among other things, thus defeating the purpose entirely. I'm not saying i don't want rap in anime, anime isn't made with the west in mind much. But people fooling themselves into liking the rap aspect bother me, and should stick to following tempo.

Rap is about a lot more things than just rhyming.
Nov 21, 2018 5:46 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Lunilah said:

Yes, as i have already described and implied.

Nov 21, 2018 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HopefulNihilist said:

But didn't you also say that us not being able to see the words that rhyme defeats the purpose?
Nov 21, 2018 5:51 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Lunilah said:

But didn't you also say that us not being able to see the words that rhyme defeats the purpose?
Yes, not having lyrics defeats the purpose of rap, which is why i said people should stick to tempo.

Nov 21, 2018 5:53 PM

Apr 2017
a rap battle shonen would be fuckin dope
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Nov 21, 2018 6:21 PM

Aug 2016
god, please NOOOO! Japanese rap is so damn indigestive. It´s a biological thing, they sound hell awful. Literally had to skip the rap scenes in zombiland saga and crybaby. If it´s african american rap, I´m fine though.
:v
Nov 21, 2018 6:22 PM

Dec 2013
No. I hate rap. If you need to go that route, at least make it hip hop instead.
Nov 21, 2018 6:31 PM

Feb 2017
If it's something like Champloo, I'm in. Not that Japanese rap
Nov 21, 2018 6:41 PM

Oct 2014
Actually gonna have to agree with that boi Lunilah here. Word play, rhyme, and flow are all equally as important as message and content. You can pop your head to it but that's about it.

I'm not gonna act like you can't like rap that's in another langue, but to me personally, it got be somewhat understandable. Other genres do better internationally imo.

Nov 21, 2018 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Yes, not having lyrics defeats the purpose of rap, which is why i said people should stick to tempo.

But...if translated, Japanese rap can still be understood through subtitles, right? It's just that when we see the English translation of the words, they won't rhyme.
Nov 21, 2018 7:01 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Lunilah said:

But...if translated, Japanese rap can still be understood through subtitles, right? It's just that when we see the English translation of the words, they won't rhyme.
No, it's merely a poor summary of the song.
LunilahNov 21, 2018 7:08 PM

Nov 21, 2018 7:03 PM

Feb 2010
i would be lying if i said i didn't want to see more songs like this

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 21, 2018 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Okay, then why not more English rap?
Nov 21, 2018 7:27 PM

Oct 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Lunilah said:

Okay, then why not more English rap?
As long as you're fluent in the language you can fairly judge it.

Nov 21, 2018 7:30 PM
Mar 2018
I'm a little mixed in rap, a ton of western rappers write things too personal or make themselves sound like thugs, when it's about something broader I may be able to enjoy it, I think I'm more of a fan of bleaker more low morale rap, but I also like rap battles too.
Though jrap doesn't have a rhyming translation, Japanese is a language of context, many of the words have many meanings, so you can use the same word under a different context and it would be brilliant wordplay, at least in Japanese.
I've also got to big up the zombieland rap battle, loved how they just broke into it, I didn't like the first rap in crybaby as it seemed they were just being obnoxious but the second was really good, with the subtitles stating how bad life was in town before devils were revealed
Nov 21, 2018 7:32 PM

Feb 2018
if anything i wish there was less
i already have to hear it constantly on public transit and around the neighborhood
Nov 21, 2018 7:37 PM
Jul 2018
I voted no, although I do like some rap. "Row Row Fight the Power" is pretty awesome. I also like the rap section of "Don't lose your way". And the rap part of Kanon 06's ED is pretty cool (I'm in the minority who thinks that though). But I don't like rap in general.
Nov 21, 2018 7:41 PM
May 2018
BackstageMage said:
I liked the raping in Devilman and that's about it

I see what you did there.

On Topic: Yes. Even against all the disgusting Moe odds.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
3 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
14 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 21 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

61 by Zenhashi »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.