Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 21, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2009
i prefer the tunes or how the song sounds rather than the actual lyrics of the song

but i also regularly look for english covers of anime songs though but that is just a bonus point
Nov 21, 2018 1:15 PM

Feb 2010
DejectedSoul said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I respectfully disagree. I think lyrics are incredibly important. They add meaning to a song, so that the song isn't just sound.
You see I have never had a favorite singers in my entire life, I always did and do prefer music without lyrics rather than listening to a singers and what they have to sing.

I can understand that. I also love a lot of instrumental music, including a lot of my favorite anime OPs. Lyrics kinda intellectualize music so 'just' music can have a more direct impact, make you wanna dance, carry vague notions and emotions that are hard to put into words and many other significant functions that don't require lyrics and in some cases might even be held back by them. It's definitely more than just sound, that's why it's called music. It is also generally easier to listen to music without lyrics since you can really focus on it (technically or emotionally), but you can also just enjoy it as pleasant background music, while lyrics always require some amount of concentration and focus to process and appreciate.

But at the same time I can't really relate to only being interested in that kind of experience when it comes to music. It seems like a waste of potential to neglect what lyrics can bring to the table. On the one hand the human voice can be seen as another instrument, harmonizing with the rest of the instrumental and just adding to the sound. Sometimes the content doesn't even matter and it's just about harmony and flowing well with the instrumental.
On the other hand I've always loved language and communication and that's why I really love music with good lyrics as well. Both in terms of appreciating good, interesting, well-written stories, opinions, expressions of emotions, poetry and whatever else you can pack into lyrics, and in terms of just people being very proficient or playful with language itself (vocabulary, sentence structure, rhymes, puns, making up new words etc...). So the combination of that with something else I love, music, only makes it even better for me.

Granted, caring about lyrics basically requires a fair amount of time investment because a lot of the stuff that has them doesn't really have very interesting ones, especially most of the popular stuff. In a lot of cases they're also simply not very densely written, spreading out a few handful of lines over 4 or 5 minutes with long intermissions, making them feel more like an afterthought rather than something that deserves focus. In other cases understanding them can be hard (either because foreign language or because of slang or because of growling or other methods of changing your voice) so it might be more trouble than it's worth. That's why a lot of the music where I do care about the lyrics, is in german, some in english and almost none in other languages. Particularly german rap, since I find the density and amount of attention given to lyrics proportionately higher in rap than in most other music genres. At least if you know the right artists.

So yeah sorry for hijacking the discussion of you two, but it's something that I find interesting to talk about so I wanted to give my 2 cents :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 21, 2018 5:44 PM
Mar 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
DejectedSoul said:
Japanese of course! English OP's or Eng dubs always sounds out of place, that's why I always watch Anime either with Eng subs or with Russian dubs.
Even Rus OP sounds better than Eng to me

*out of place* + *always*

if you mean the tone, first, there is two things wrong with your response

the first being is that it fails at accounting the ANIMATION of the opening, par example, berserk 97 opening is a horrible opening to the tone of berserk as it doesn't capture its tone, song wise and animation wise, it's ''filler'' kind of opening

it's a bad opening

< this song makes no sense in Yu Yu hakusho context or the animation, there are some who better the japanese ones tone/canon wise but are rare

but here is the thing, instead of pointing it at such thing, you also whether intentionally or incidentally included English cover songs, which are SUPPOSE to be faithful to the Japanese ones

One, here is the thing, lad, The English cover for overlord OP 1 simply betters the JP opening for it, because Any Weeb knows that no jap can speak english and only engrish

of course, this is not an all thing case, dragon ball BOG does it right

The English cover for overlord OP 1

[yt]jEtJ83c8LWg[/

Oh wow didn’t even notice overlord is in English
Nov 22, 2018 4:07 PM
Aug 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
somethingtowatch said:

You are missing out the more you listen to it the more you like it

obviously, because who doesn't like to listen to a song that has

shit shit shit shit shit shit as lyrics in japanese?

and face it, subtitle + song is not a good mix since the subs can be off and the visuals play a part of the song and being distracted from it makes it impossible to watch unless you don't mind
There are plenty of anime’s with great openings that have Japanese lyrics but most of my favorites don’t have lyrics at all but I’m starting to appreciate more openings with Japanese lyrics,Neon Genesis Evangelion opening is literally one of the greatest ops I’ve ever seen and still listen to it even after I’m finished with the anime. Yeah the lyrics can be off if the person who translates it doesn’t translate it right but If it doesn’t grab me i won’t listen to it, I’ll skip it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
4 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

66 by PostMahouShoujo »»
9 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - Yesterday

17 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
27 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

9 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.