Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BAKI
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 17, 2018 7:27 AM

Jul 2007
I never see Baki brought up in general anime discussions regarding 2018 anime. I wonder why that is? I think this anime is extremely good, every episode it feels like something spectacular happens. It's bizarre, over-the-top, funny, good fight scenes. As far as a battle anime goes Baki feels unique and a fresh twist on the genre with the hyper focus on real world martial arts and peak athletes taken to superhuman levels.

Is it because it's a sequel to an anime from the early 2000's? While the original 2 seasons of Grappler Baki were good, this season somehow feels like it has amped the crazy up orders of magnitudes. Imo it blows the old anime out of the water. Though I am a bit disappointed that Baki Hanma has hardly fought at all this season, Baki himself as a character actually doesn't matter much too me, as pretty much every other character feels way more interesting and badass than Baki. We have the likes of Haneyama, Doppo, Retsu, Oliva, Shibukawa, Jack, and fucking Yujiro who are all badass as fuck so I really don't miss Baki that much.

I haven't read the manga yet but I will get around to that eventually.

Around here I see many people complain about how current anime is too moe, yet none of them are watching this incredible kickass anime. smh
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 17, 2018 7:50 AM

Oct 2016
because people gay
Nov 17, 2018 8:25 AM
Apr 2015
Because bizzare
But for me baki is best shounen anime in 2018 with jojo
Nov 17, 2018 8:30 AM

Jul 2007
ziad1419 said:
But for me baki is best shounen anime in 2018 with jojo

Oh definitely! I agree 110%!

Baki and JJBA are here to save battle anime.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 17, 2018 8:31 AM
Apr 2015
EndlessMaria said:
I never see Baki brought up in general anime discussions regarding 2018 anime. I wonder why that is? I think this anime is extremely good, every episode it feels like something spectacular happens. It's bizarre, over-the-top, funny, good fight scenes. As far as a battle anime goes Baki feels unique and a fresh twist on the genre with the hyper focus on real world martial arts and peak athletes taken to superhuman levels.

Is it because it's a sequel to an anime from the early 2000's? While the original 2 seasons of Grappler Baki were good, this season somehow feels like it has amped the crazy up orders of magnitudes. Imo it blows the old anime out of the water. Though I am a bit disappointed that Baki Hanma has hardly fought at all this season, Baki himself as a character actually doesn't matter much too me, as pretty much every other character feels way more interesting and badass than Baki. We have the likes of Haneyama, Doppo, Retsu, Oliva, Shibukawa, Jack, and fucking Yujiro who are all badass as fuck so I really don't miss Baki that much.

I haven't read the manga yet but I will get around to that eventually.

Around here I see many people complain about how current anime is too moe, yet none of them are watching this incredible kickass anime. smh

I think baki 2018 better than baki 2001
I liked Prisoners characters and oliva
They better than old fighters in baki 2001
Nov 17, 2018 8:37 AM

Jul 2007
ziad1419 said:

I agree. The prisoners are interesting and each one has a neat gimmick. I love how dirty they fight compared to the martial artists. There is never a dull moment in these battles.

Oliva is my favorite character so far. He's incredibly badass and also hilarious. Dude is a monster who can regenerate by eating steak and drinking wine. lmao
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 17, 2018 8:41 AM
Apr 2015
EndlessMaria said:
ziad1419 said:

I agree. The prisoners are interesting and each one has a neat gimmick. I love how dirty the fight. There never a dull moment in these battles.

Oliva is my favorite character so far. He's incredibly badass and also hilarious. Dude is a monster who can regenerate by eating steak and drinking wine. lmao

Yes
Me too
Oliva is my favorite character
Nov 17, 2018 8:42 AM
Jul 2018
Because people like Ecchi/harem shit. That's why
Nov 17, 2018 9:18 AM

Oct 2015
Maybe there are more people like me who has a "Don't watch until it finishes airing" policy. I'm %90 sure I'll love the hell out of this show, it looks so absurd and over-the-top it's my thing but I'll have to be patient because waiting a whole week for an episode loses it's momentum for me.
Nov 17, 2018 10:54 AM
Apr 2015
Orhunaa said:
Maybe there are more people like me who has a "Don't watch until it finishes airing" policy. I'm %90 sure I'll love the hell out of this show, it looks so absurd and over-the-top it's my thing but I'll have to be patient because waiting a whole week for an episode loses it's momentum for me.

Important thing
Must you watch baki 2001 before baki 2018
Baki 2018 is better but still
Watch must watch baki 2001
Nov 17, 2018 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Its a mindless action flick, nothing wrong with that but people are over those type of series for the most parts. A lot of people are looking for series that has both good action and depth to it.

You should be happy that it is not popular though or it would be getting a lot of hate as well. I can see the jo jo fans liking this series though, because it is "manly" lol
Nov 18, 2018 12:32 AM

Jul 2007
keragamming said:
Its a mindless action flick, nothing wrong with that but people are over those type of series for the most parts. A lot of people are looking for series that has both good action and depth to it.

You should be happy that it is not popular though or it would be getting a lot of hate as well. I can see the jo jo fans liking this series though, because it is "manly" lol

Pretty much all anime is "mindless" though. For example, LotGH is just a mindless space soap opera.

There actually is some "depth" in Baki though if you look at it. The way the martial arts and athletic phenomena is covered is with realism and its apparent the mangaka did his research. The mangaka knows what he's talking about. Plus he has had military background.

Sure the main draw is strong guys hurting each other, but for that there is depth in that for what it is. I suppose this would appeal more to people who are into martial arts or MMA. It's interesting to those who know or have interest in the topics covered in this show. Can't really say Baki lacks "depth" imo.
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Nov 18, 2018 11:00 AM
Sep 2017
I really like this anime. The way the story is presented together with the art style makes it very enjoyable to watch. Sadly after a very strong start the first half was filled with shit cgi that almost removed all enjoyment out of it. The second half on the other hand was much better with less to almost no cgi with some episode being borderline masterpieces. Sadly people don't enjoy this kid of anime anymore, if it's not and isekai or it doesn't have a waifu most people will just skip it.
Nov 18, 2018 6:41 PM

Jul 2017
Modern anime fans only watch waifu-pandering and fujo-bait anime.
They also like watching anime with generic art.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 18, 2018 9:26 PM
Mar 2017
Galarrdo said:
I really like this anime. The way the story is presented together with the art style makes it very enjoyable to watch. Sadly after a very strong start the first half was filled with shit cgi that almost removed all enjoyment out of it. The second half on the other hand was much better with less to almost no cgi with some episode being borderline masterpieces. Sadly people don't enjoy this kid of anime anymore, if it's not and isekai or it doesn't have a waifu most people will just skip it.

For me i still enjoy this kind of anime even though mostly peoples these days thought anime with waifu is better than this kind of anime but i strongly disagree with that kind of arguments but i also interested in martial arts fighthing style.
Nov 22, 2018 9:12 AM
Jul 2017
Maybe it’s the fact that it’s listed as an ONA. TV anime are usually at the top and where most people can see them. You have to scroll down quite a bit to get to the ONAs.
Nov 22, 2018 9:24 AM

Dec 2016
might be that people are waiting for it to finish? that said though, the art style's a bit of an acquired taste - it's quite a lot to take in when you start watching and, rather than seeing normal people, it's just a whole lotta muscle.

agree with you that baki feels irrelevant. so far, it seems the only development he's had is that he had sex? the other characters are way superior to him; loved how doyle's changed over the season.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 2, 2018 11:22 AM

Apr 2014
I only knew about Baki on Netflix. Didn't even knew such anime existed. I enjoy this fights a lot. Also I gotta watch season 1 and 2, and holy shit the season 1 is released on like 2000. After 17 years they release season 3.
Dec 20, 2018 8:16 AM
Jan 2018
Maybe becouse people just see sumo wrestling
Dec 20, 2018 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
slice of life lolis doujins and everything related to candy eye girls that are below the age of 16 but claim to be immortal is the new trend yo. action anime dieded when s1 of sword ART online ended.
Dec 20, 2018 9:26 AM

Jul 2007
Jack100HP said:
slice of life lolis doujins and everything related to candy eye girls that are below the age of 16 but claim to be immortal is the new trend yo. action anime dieded when s1 of sword ART online ended.

Any crackers you would like to add to that smoked cheese? I feel your comment is missing one or two uguus like maybe you aren't trying to be cute enough. nyoro~n
☆☆☆
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Apr 7, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 2015
Tbh I never really was motivated to watch JoJo. Downloaded episode 1 of the 1st season. But there was just too much to catch up and I didn't like the char design and the fancy colors.

On the other hand I liked the preview of the new Baki series and found out about the older series. (And the manga which seems to have even more volumes than JoJo manga - even with Donald Trump appearing at some point lol. :D)

Watched old season 1. Liked it. Currently watching season 2. Then this one (new anime = season 3). I only hope they are adapting everything. Saw already another season got announced.

I like the brutal battles. No magic style super power (even though those battle techniqes are super powers). Nice char design. (So far in the old seasons.) And fun, fun, fun. Sometimes the differences in fighters really leads to fun battles. Especially if someone gets really pwned.
Jun 5, 2019 5:41 AM

Dec 2009
Because the plot is nonexistent, the characters are poorly presented, are brain dead and have very little charisma with the exception of Oliva and the fights are stilted and boring to watch.
Jul 28, 2020 11:18 PM
Oct 2019
Thank you to those of you who compared this to JoJo. Now I know not to waste my time.

I didn't like the original Baki enough to finish it, so I was wondering if trying the sequel was worth my time. I also thought the first 1.5 seasons of JoJo were low quality and dropped that, too. So, now I know.
Aug 17, 2020 7:10 AM

Jul 2008
Because it kind of sucks. There is never any real danger to Baki since he dispatches his enemies as if they were feeble toddlers, no matter how much they were hyped up prior to a fight.
Oct 1, 2020 12:54 AM

Jul 2008
To answer the OP's question, Baki is popular, but the overlap isn't as great with users active on MAL.

I remember when RIZIN (the current premier Japanese MMA organization, even if they're a pale shadow of what PRIDE was), released a poster for an event with Baki on the cover; https://i.redd.it/87ez55sggq201.jpg

You'd be amazed at how many of the grizzled MMA gamblers I talk to, men (including myself) in their 30s with a wife and/or kids who one would never peg as anime fans that knew exactly who Baki was.

The series straddles a very fine line between cool and ridiculous, funny and serious, bushido code and piss-take, and it's not one that I imagine every anime fan to appreciate or enjoy.
Nov 10, 2020 12:50 PM
Feb 2020
Because of the bad CG

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baki Episode 2 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 9, 2018

21 by Licentai »»
Apr 8, 6:34 AM

» what is baki even about 💀 ☠️ 😭😭

lolylolydab - Mar 7

10 by MisterMichael »»
Mar 11, 1:59 AM

» Why does Baki feel undiscussed on MAL?

Zimmu - Mar 7

31 by Zimmu »»
Mar 9, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Baki Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Dec 16, 2018

62 by ahmet1234321 »»
Mar 8, 10:41 PM

Poll: » Baki Episode 5 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 9, 2018

24 by 0YukiPlays0 »»
Feb 25, 8:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.