Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 17, 2018 12:47 PM

Mar 2016
JudoJD said:
This episode...mmmmhhhh.. I understand a lot of TV anime are written in a way to let viewers in Japan who may have missed past episodes hop on and understand what's going on but it makes the dialogue (not that well written already to be frank with the exception of ep 2 which was baseline decent) especially braindead. (Hey..lemme remind you about that thing you already know over and over and monologue it to myself because of how braindead our audience is...btw.. You're supposed to care about these other characters we threw at you btw)

Now returning to SAO...The more I think about it.. I'm starting to feel like I understand why a lot of the anime community (mostly those "more experienced" with anime not the newcomers) were seeing how bad and dumb the writing in this series is.
I can't keep shaking the feeling of "that's stupid".....wow.... I actually thought this ish was (ashamed to admit ) kinda good when I started watching anime..in fact I hate to admit it's what got me into anime
Idk...already know I have bad taste in anime but..but...I actually thought this was kinda good lol..I'm sorry it's just frustrating to think about...It's like you really need some really (like REALLY) high level of BS tolerance to keep enjoying SAO ... I can't just turn my brain off and not think about what's going on anymore

(and yes...yes... I've read the novels...somehow)

It’s more of a shame that people feel the need to feel ashamed over what they view and enjoy in entertainment lmao. I started watching anime constantly and on daily basis 3 years ago, and Used to watch shounen anime when i was a kid (DBZ and captain tsubasa), yet I still enjoy find enjoyment with SAO and like to watch it, just saying, and that’s my take. I echo what the person above me said.
Nov 17, 2018 12:56 PM

Jul 2015
I liked this episode. However, I didn't like the whole "willpower can override stats" thing. That's pretty much giving an early warning that Kirito might win due to an asspull in the next episode.

Nov 17, 2018 1:04 PM
Jan 2018
I'm honestly surprised that people are saying this show improved, when the show still has the main problems from the other seasons.

Time skips (although these are necessary now because time flows faster, character development doesn't happen).
Exposition dumps.
Exposition dumps of things we have already seen (We already knew how the basics work from episodes 2-4).
Exposition dumps of things so obvious it's like they are explaining it to a toddler ("if you're low level you can only do simple spells, but if you're high level you can do more powerful spells").
Outright dumb writing. You can become many times more powerful if you believe in yourself? Even to the point where you could rewrite the laws of that world? Come on.
Constant Kirito Dick-Sucking in the form of words (this won't happen if the character is evil or an antagonist).
TodAboTNov 17, 2018 1:09 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:08 PM
Oct 2012
Gildesh said:
Bullshit is hereby legalised - you can override stats without a miracle plot twist now.
Free Aincrad style sword acquired.

First one is actually major plot which will be the backbone of Accel World, and it's someone everyone here can use, not only Kirito. it was explained better in actual action in novel but simplified here in some word.

2nd one the Sword is just a Divine Sword and nothing to do with Aincrad, and the reason the guy was giving it away for free was because he was just happy to be able to create a Divine Sword and then have that Divine Sword that he made used by someone worthy.
Reminder that only Integrity Knights have Divine Sword and there was only a few limited divine sword in the world like Eugeo's and all had a protector dragon or something.

AdrianRubinsky said:
I liked this episode. However, I didn't like the whole "willpower can override stats" thing. That's pretty much giving an early warning that Kirito might win due to an asspull in the next episode.

they said it coz it's how the whole UnderWorld works, and not how "Kirito can overcome things"
as i mentioned before, many many ppl in UnderWorld Good and bad, enemy or friend, can use this. also this probably is reference into Accel World's system later on ( it's 2026, Accel World happen 2042 i think )
Nov 17, 2018 1:12 PM

Apr 2018
And now we're once again being left here with a cliffhanger and have to wait another week for the next episode.

I'm really excited for the fight between Kirito and the first seat, but I hope that they are actually gonna fight.

I mean, Kirito does have that new sword now... maybe he can use that to have a chance of winning...

But if the willpower really overrides the stats, it`s gonna be easy for him, huh?
Nov 17, 2018 1:16 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
Gildesh said:
Bullshit is hereby legalised - you can override stats without a miracle plot twist now.
Free Aincrad style sword acquired.

First one is actually major plot which will be the backbone of Accel World, and it's someone everyone here can use, not only Kirito. it was explained better in actual action in novel but simplified here in some word.

2nd one the Sword is just a Divine Sword and nothing to do with Aincrad, and the reason the guy was giving it away for free was because he was just happy to be able to create a Divine Sword and then have that Divine Sword that he made used by someone worthy.
Reminder that only Integrity Knights have Divine Sword and there was only a few limited divine sword in the world like Eugeo's and all had a protector dragon or something.

AdrianRubinsky said:

they said it coz it's how the whole UnderWorld works, and not how "Kirito can overcome things"
as i mentioned before, many many ppl in UnderWorld Good and bad, enemy or friend, can use this. also this probably is reference into Accel World's system later on ( it's 2026, Accel World happen 2042 i think )

Just because it's somehow connected to Accel World (which is the "sequel"), doesn't make it less stupid.
And Accel World is also a bad anime.

"Guys, shonen bad guys could also have the power of friendship, so anything can happen"
TodAboTNov 17, 2018 1:21 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:20 PM
Oct 2012
caio_brb said:
JudoJD said:
This episode...mmmmhhhh.. I understand a lot of TV anime are written in a way to let viewers in Japan who may have missed past episodes hop on and understand what's going on but it makes the dialogue (not that well written already to be frank with the exception of ep 2 which was baseline decent) especially braindead. (Hey..lemme remind you about that thing you already know over and over and monologue it to myself because of how braindead our audience is...btw.. You're supposed to care about these other characters we threw at you btw)

Now returning to SAO...The more I think about it.. I'm starting to feel like I understand why a lot of the anime community (mostly those "more experienced" with anime not the newcomers) were seeing how bad and dumb the writing in this series is.
I can't keep shaking the feeling of "that's stupid".....wow.... I actually thought this ish was (ashamed to admit ) kinda good when I started watching anime..in fact I hate to admit it's what got me into anime
Idk...already know I have bad taste in anime but..but...I actually thought this was kinda good lol..I'm sorry it's just frustrating to think about...It's like you really need some really (like REALLY) high level of BS tolerance to keep enjoying SAO ... I can't just turn my brain off and not think about what's going on anymore

You don't need to do such thing. I watched more anime and read more manga than most of those people and I still enjoy SAO. Anime is a subjective thing, it's for you to enjoy and have fun, not to be overcritical and feeling down for liking what you do. There's a reason for why this series is popular in Japan and outside of it and it's because people like it and don't have fear to admit.
Takao_21 said:
JudoJD said:

It’s more of a shame that people feel the need to feel ashamed over what they view and enjoy in entertainment lmao. I started watching anime constantly and on daily basis 3 years ago, and Used to watch shounen anime when i was a kid (DBZ and captain tsubasa), yet I still enjoy find enjoyment with SAO and like to watch it, just saying, and that’s my take. I echo what the person above me said.

Ignore this guy, Saw him a bunch of time before in old EPs discussion, he just talk hate. it's quite funny tbh :D
I can't help but smile reading his comments, he seems like some identity crisis-ed young person who care too much about internet opinion and think hating SAO is the cool thing :D

he is not even complaining about things that is actually bad about SAO, he talk about simple things that is pretty normal and usual and think he should be ashamed for watching this :D

I'm 25 and I been watching anime since 10, Old shits like Funny Face High school ( made in 1986 ) and Ramiku Takahashi's all work ! that one with girl named Lum and Maison Ikkoku and Ranma and Inuyasha and I pretty much watched hundreds of anime since then. and Read many manga and novel.

But SAO is still one of my favorite. it's only a small number of loader minority haters and a large number of new anime fans who actually watched those hate video on SAO that develop the mindset that SAO is very trash and you should be ashamed to watch it lol
Nov 17, 2018 1:24 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
caio_brb said:

You don't need to do such thing. I watched more anime and read more manga than most of those people and I still enjoy SAO. Anime is a subjective thing, it's for you to enjoy and have fun, not to be overcritical and feeling down for liking what you do. There's a reason for why this series is popular in Japan and outside of it and it's because people like it and don't have fear to admit.
Takao_21 said:

Ignore this guy, Saw him a bunch of time before in old EPs discussion, he just talk hate. it's quite funny tbh :D
I can't help but smile reading his comments, he seems like some identity crisis-ed young person who care too much about internet opinion and think hating SAO is the cool thing :D

he is not even complaining about things that is actually bad about SAO, he talk about simple things that is pretty normal and usual and think he should be ashamed for watching this :D

I'm 25 and I been watching anime since 10, Old shits like Funny Face High school ( made in 1986 ) and Ramiku Takahashi's all work ! that one with girl named Lum and Maison Ikkoku and Ranma and Inuyasha and I pretty much watched hundreds of anime since then. and Read many manga and novel.

But SAO is still one of my favorite. it's only a small number of loader minority haters and a large number of new anime fans who actually watched those hate video on SAO that develop the mindset that SAO is very trash and you should be ashamed to watch it lol

If you have seen so many anime, why do you only have Alicization on you profile?
Nov 17, 2018 1:27 PM
Oct 2012
TodAboT said:
Pedram said:

Just because it's somehow connected to Accel World (which is the "sequel"), doesn't make it less stupid.

"Guys, shonen bad guys could also have the power of friendship, so anything can happen"

hmm guess i explained my point badly,
What i meant when i mentioned Accel World was to say Author did no just invent this out of his ass to create a cheat for Kirito, it's his whole idea about his whole sci-fi world he created.

And you bet your ass if the enemy in Fairy Tail could also use Power of Friendship then the whole Fairy Tail story would end up differently lol

This whole underworld is a world in STL, it's not a One and Zero World, and it's connected to the souls, so Will power and mental power can make your States weaker or stronger depend on your mindset.
this will happen for EVERYONE, Good or bad ! Enemy or Friend ! if you can't accept this, then this is not for you, but I find it a nice concept and plot point and enjoyed the novel when i read it.
PedramNov 17, 2018 1:32 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:31 PM

Aug 2013
Nice to see Kirito getting his own personal sword.

Looking forward to that duel between Kirito and that senior.

Nov 17, 2018 1:31 PM
Oct 2012
TodAboT said:
Pedram said:

If you have seen so many anime, why do you only have Alicization on you profile?

coz i don't care ? lol i never rate stuff, who care. that EP1 of Alicization was a mistake and i only did it for EP1 anyway, it was coz a retard review it at 1/10 before anime even start airing and said some random hate about Old seasons and it made me impulse and give Alicization a 10 Rating lol

fortunately the staff in MAL are not stupid and deleted his review later lol I guess i might just delete my rating as well then, let me see if i can do it hmmm

Edit: Can't actually removed it sadly, can only add it to dropped or on list etc :| but I was able to remove the score lol
PedramNov 17, 2018 1:35 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:33 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
TodAboT said:

What i meant when i mentioned Accel World was to say Author did no just invent this out of his ass to create a cheat for Kirito, it's his whole idea about his whole sci-fi world he created.

And you bet you ass if the enemy in Fairy Tail could also use Power of Friendship then the whole Fairy Tail story would end up differently lol

This whole underworld is a world in STL, it's not a One and Zero World, and it's connected to the souls, so Will power and mental power can make your States weaker or stronger depend on your mindset.
this will happen for EVERYONE, Good or bad ! Enemy or Friend ! if you can't accept this, then this is not for you, but I find it a nice concept and plot point and enjoyed the novel when i read it.

... but that doesn't change how ridiculous it is...

What I meant to say about the "shonen bad guy" phrase, is that it's just dumb to show that villains also have the same thing, since the main character will always be better at that one thing.
That's how he asspulled his way out of the original SAO, after all.
This is just an asspull from the future, basically.
Nov 17, 2018 1:36 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
TodAboT said:

coz i don't care ? lol i never rate stuff, who care. that EP1 of Alicization was a mistake and i only did it for EP1 anyway, it was coz a retard review it at 1/10 before anime even start airing and said some random hate about Old seasons and it made me impulse and give Alicization a 10 Rating lol

fortunately the staff in MAL are not stupid and deleted his review later lol I guess i might just delete my rating as well then, let me see if i can do it hmmm

Nobody can review a show before it airs...
But if you mean that the person only watched 6 episodes, that was me, actually.
And it was unfair that they removed it, since I followed community guidelines and I just shared my opinion. If you think they did the right thing, you must be really pissed off.

Also, to remove a show from your profile, you have to click on "Edit"(or Edit Detailed Info on mobile), then press delete.
TodAboTNov 17, 2018 1:41 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:44 PM

Mar 2016
@Pedram

I don’t mind the sao forums. Too many salt to enjoy and laughable comments, like “the I’m ashamed to admit I liked it”. I’m not a fanboi here, and I don’t like when people are overly defensive/offensive about a series and can’t engage in a calm argumentative discussion without needless bashing and shoving their opinions down people’a throat whether it’s hate or liking the series.

Btw about the whole idea of cognition and confidence being capable of affecting one’s power. Opinion here. It’s not something new in anime/manga. I think many are mistaking it for an asspull. An asspull is when the author creates something out of thin air which has not been explained or foreshadowed within the plot or explained in world’s rules in order to advance the plot at a crucial moment usually. However, funny enough, this idea here is setting the rules themselves for the world and foreshadowing/explaining it as well as applying it to everyone, not just kirito. I thought Liena was a good example of this. She has immense confidence after training for years in swordsmanship, but when it comes to fighting the first seat, her swordsmanship falters and she loses power. That was a good example of its application. I can fault the show when it decides to not conform to this rule. Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Shishou_23Nov 17, 2018 1:47 PM
Nov 17, 2018 1:50 PM
Oct 2012
TodAboT said:
Pedram said:

And you bet you ass if the enemy in Fairy Tail could also use Power of Friendship then the whole Fairy Tail story would end up differently lol

What I meant to say about the "shonen bad guy" phrase, is that it's just dumb to show that villains also have the same thing, since the main character will always be better at that one thing.

but this is how the story is bro, I found it cool, you find it asspull.
but imo, if you find this asspull, u can find an asspull in almost any popular anime :D
Be it the Big 3 or be it less popular ones, almost all of them have some form of it.

anyway, I see no farther point in our argument lol we are just disagreeing on some plot point i guess.
TodAboT said:
Pedram said:

Thanks for the info, just deleted it, but No, it was not your review, it was BEFORE even first EP air, that was why i was mad lol. like WTF it's not even aired why he can even review ?!?!

but later i figure out the reason was the first EP Was aired in a event before TV release, so they opened up the Rating ! but they removed the reviews, and it seems they remove ALL reviews, both 1/10 and 10/10 or between, seems like they accept review after half the season is out ? no sure.
Nov 17, 2018 1:54 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
TodAboT said:

but this is how the story is bro, I found it cool, you find it asspull.
but imo, if you find this asspull, u can find an asspull in almost any popular anime :D
Be it the Big 3 or be it less popular ones, almost all of them have some form of it.

anyway, I see no farther point in our argument lol we are just disagreeing on some plot point i guess.
TodAboT said:

Thanks for the info, just deleted it, but No, it was not your review, it was BEFORE even first EP air, that was why i was mad lol. like WTF it's not even aired why he can even review ?!?!

but later i figure out the reason was the first EP Was aired in a event before TV release, so they opened up the Rating ! but they removed the reviews, and it seems they remove ALL reviews, both 1/10 and 10/10 or between, seems like they accept review after half the season is out ? no sure.

Oh, the reason why they were removed because that happens automatically.
Reviews are removed unless you've watched about 1/4 or 1/5 of a show: 4 episodes for 13-episode series, 6 for 26, 10 for 52, etc.
Nov 17, 2018 1:58 PM
Oct 2012
Takao_21 said:
@Pedram

I don’t mind the sao forums. Too many salt to enjoy and laughable comments, like “the I’m ashamed to admit I liked it”. I’m not a fanboi here, and I don’t like when people are overly defensive/offensive about a series and can’t engage in a calm argumentative discussion without needless bashing and shoving their opinions down people’a throat whether it’s hate or liking the series.

Btw about the whole idea of cognition and confidence being capable of affecting one’s power. Opinion here. It’s not something new in anime/manga. I think many are mistaking it for an asspull. An asspull is when the author creates something out of thin air which has not been explained or foreshadowed within the plot or explained in world’s rules in order to advance the plot at a crucial moment usually. However, funny enough, this idea here is setting the rules themselves for the world and foreshadowing/explaining it as well as applying it to everyone, not just kirito. I thought Liena was a good example of this. She has immense confidence after training for years in swordsmanship, but when it comes to fighting the first seat, her swordsmanship falters and she loses power. That was a good example of its application. I can fault the show when it decides to not conform to this rule. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

exactly man, I'm with u on both ur point. it's funny how they think it's bad to like a show xD there is just too many of them are bent on having to say "NO ! I'm not a SAO Fanboy ! don't hate me ! It's just ... maybe coz it was the first anime i ever watch ! i just like to watch it !"

Also about Asspull too, I completely agree, you can call this plot point something that you don't like.
but you can't call it any asspull or random decision author made to give a power up to the MC !
coz it's being mentioned as how things work here and being foreshadowed and even explained to us here and there. and its gonna be in effect for plot not only for this, but for the whole story and for everyone in it.

Edit about above post @TodAboT Oh so that's how it is it make sense then lol. Thanks for info, maybe coz this is a 48~52 EP season, u need 10~12 EP then lol idk xD
PedramNov 17, 2018 2:04 PM
Nov 17, 2018 2:01 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
Takao_21 said:
@Pedram

exactly man, I'm with u on both ur point. it's funny how they think it's bad to like a show xD there is just too many of them are bent on having to say "NO ! I'm not a SAO Fanboy ! don't hate me ! It's just ... maybe coz it was the first anime i ever watch ! i just like to watch it !"

Also about Asspull too, I completely agree, you can call this plot point something that you don't like.
but you can't call it any asspull of random decision author made to give a power up to the MC !
coz it's being mentioned as how things work here and being foreshadowed and even explained to us here and there. and its gonna be in effect for plot not only for this, but for the whole story and for everyone in it.

I completely agree with liking/disliking whatever you like. People can get too offended/offensive because another person has different tastes.
Things don't make you a bad person unless it directly affects somebody else in a negative way.
Nov 17, 2018 2:03 PM

Jan 2017
No. God no. Why. Ending this episode on a cliffhanger.
I'll be writhing until next week.
Aaarrrggghh!

Good episode though. Is liena gong to be a part of Kirito's harem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 17, 2018 2:05 PM
Jan 2018
Pedram said:
Takao_21 said:
@Pedram

but you can't call it any asspull of random decision author made to give a power up to the MC !

Edit about above post @TodAboT Oh so that's how it is it make sense then lol. Thanks for info, maybe coz this is a 48~52 EP season, u need 10~12 EP then lol idk xD

Rumour has it that this season will be split in two to keep the animation quality consistent, just like with Attack on Titan S3.
Which is why there are already reviews.
Nov 17, 2018 2:18 PM

Jan 2008
Hmm, I know the world Kirito is in goes faster than the real world but a time skip of that degree seems... awfully familiar, not in a good way.

I'm not a fan of how Kirito explained how getting stronger can potentially work, it basically sounds like emotion will outmatch actual skills and 'stats', which would not be a surprise for this show. I guess I'll just assume it works like adrenaline in real life so I can care less.

And bad characters who are bad for the sake of being bad, ugh. Definitely my most dislike method of creating conflict in a story.

Hopefully the fight is entertaining.
Nov 17, 2018 2:28 PM

Aug 2014
Mattinator95 said:

I think this one should surffice.

https://youtu.be/MZffdSoK_3g

This one was before the epiosde started so It may not mention the flashback. But should give you the general idea on what was missing .....

ow, thanks the video was really helpful
w e l p
Nov 17, 2018 2:29 PM
Oct 2012
tambi33 said:
No. God no. Why. Ending this episode on a cliffhanger.
I'll be writhing until next week.
Aaarrrggghh!

Good episode though. Is liena gong to be a part of Kirito's harem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harem is a strong world imo, you should say will she be part of Kirito's fangirls or join the Rejected girls fanclub xD
tbh I always hate how "japanese" story say something is Harem !
I always like the "Chinese" story tag of Harem lol
if in a Chinese novel u see Harem tag the MC 100% will have sex with all the girls and is in a real relationship with them :D Real harem we got there lol.

Anyway ! I love to spoil u on this here but stopping myself from doing so... URGH :D

and @TodAboT yeh well i wouldn't mind a small w8, latter half of Alicization is Amazing but it gonna need A LOT OF WORK. otherwise it will be a CGI Clusterfuck, I would rather w8 a year for a better one instead !

and @Paul actually the bad guys and good guys are kind of very distinct in here and have a reason for their bad personality lol ofc there can be exceptions, Can't talk too much but just watch and enjoy, hopefully anime wont cut all important explanations lol
Nov 17, 2018 3:05 PM

Aug 2018
I like how Kirito didn't look at the sword's level.
My interpretation is that if sword required higher object control authority he would still be able to wield it because he wouldn't know it and believing might raise his level just enough.
Nov 17, 2018 3:10 PM

Dec 2014
the parrell of both world hmmm... I still think the one in the different world is a copy of original kirito as we saw in the first episode that he was born there or something...but I still don't get why did he disappear though...so many questions yet no answers
Nov 17, 2018 3:39 PM

Jan 2011
decent episode not expecting much of this eite dude seems kinda like a slightly more important NPC just based off his design but i guess we gotta let our boy show off after two years and getting his new sword right.

just gonna assume they will show a bit of what happened in between that time if it actually was that long since i have no idea how quickly time passes in this sim
Nov 17, 2018 5:06 PM

Jun 2014
>Kirito and Eugeo are in capital city.
>"Its been a year since we joined the Swordcraft Academy"
Here we go again, for the 500th time, SAO is flaunting the fact that its story has awful pacing.

>System control and object control authority can be changed based on a mental image; If you have the confidence to win, your power level increases significantly.
Well, shit, I wont even bother trying to count how many times this plot point will be abused.
Nov 17, 2018 5:54 PM

Dec 2015
At this moment we're starting to see the deviations from the LN, more like the skipped parts, which I actually considered importants due to small events happening while their path to the city and while they were sleeping in the barn. Like the small entity in Kirito's hair, but I'm sure we'll see that later.

Now, the first fight we all been waiting for.
Nov 17, 2018 6:05 PM

Dec 2016
Kirito gets a baller new sword, then falls on his face trying to do an advanced move. So, what was the point exactly?

Nov 17, 2018 6:18 PM

May 2018
I do not much like shipp characters, but ... KiritoxEugeo is so kawaii ^w^. This episode made me shipp even more the two. Yes, I'm very retarded.
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Nov 17, 2018 6:55 PM

May 2015
Object Control Authority = Physical
System Control Authority = Magical. Got it.

"If you can imagine yourself to be more powerful than anyone, that gives you the potential to rewrite the laws of the world." So to be the strongest, you just gotta be as grandiose as possible...

Hmm...that's what was irking me about these action scenes. It looks nice, but it seems that the animators like to avoid having two characters on the same shot at once. And when two characters are on the screen, the animation slows down to nearly a still frame...

Now I can't really tell if Levantein is dueling Kirito because he wants to test him or if he simply wants to have an excuse to fight. I mean Kirito accidentally got dirt on his clothes, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it but rather would use it as an excuse to get Kirito to fight him. I can't judge his character yet so I'll have to wait until next episode. Next episode is "Swordsman's Pride" so hopefully Levantein is a man of honor. I hope we get a good fight.

Also, Kirito told Sortiliena that he would show her his "greatest skill" of his Aincrad-style swordsmanship. So will Kirito be dual-wielding anytime soon?
Nov 17, 2018 7:10 PM

Apr 2015
That's one fancy sword, it's blue... so I approve!

So we got quite the time skip, 2 years have passed in that "virtual world". Seems Kirito and Eugeo have joined a high school of sorts to improve there swordmanship.

Looking forward to next week's duel!!
Nov 17, 2018 7:13 PM
Sep 2018
wow what a nice episode it was
really enjoyed it
so gucci
Nov 17, 2018 8:09 PM
Nov 2018
Finnaly we back to underworld but why they skip 2 years i mean they should skip Asuna and the other girl screentime
Nov 17, 2018 8:22 PM

Sep 2018
Fappa said:
Pedram said:
inb4 angry Light novel readers start hating on this EP coz the whole Volume 10 Chapter 3, Zakkaria Tournament Getting completely skipped lol

Well it was important I guess coz of introduction of a new hidden person ... a cool bit of kirito and eugeo's life before they join the academy and making the whole show feel a bit more real like Real life by how they were living etc and the tournament and some more cool action from both eugeo and Kirito.
specially showing us eugeo's improvement.

but whatever, I still didn't watch EP7 yet so idk if they had any flash back on it or not :D

They didn't outright skip it but referred back to it through a series of flashbacks. That entire chapter overall had nothing that cannot be down somewhere else, may it be "that character" or a more in depth insight into duels. It's cut fat that adds to the enjoyment yes but it's noting absolutely vital.

They clearly are forced to cut some corners in order to make the parts of the story that need to be adapted slowly and precisely work. If that means Zakkaria gets cut, then be my guest.

That's not exactly true. Even tho I barely remember anything from the LN, I do remember that arc showed that being able to perform sword skills is considered exceptional, with more hits being considered a greater feat. They left that out. Maybe next episode they'll show more, but who knows. I've been thinking that about every episode so far, haha.

Forced to cut corners is one thing, but they cut an entire arc that was pretty important for worldbuilding imo. At this point im kind of wondering what on earth they plan on using the episodes for if they cut out this much.

Ventus_S said:
I want to ask LN novel readers, how much contents did they skip?

I was hoping to see the actual adventure to expand the world of this new world, as well as seeing characters progressively getting stronger, as well as learning the mechanic of this world through showing during the adventure. Instead , we got an exposition dump, have a quick timeskip and characters become op from the get go, and all that's left is to show off how amazing Kirito is by dominating everyone else. (yawn)

Tbh I am disappointed.. (Even if I never read the LN before)

From between last episode and this one? Basically Eugeo and Kiritos life before they joined the Academy + a tournament they had to do in order to be able to join and stuff.

Eugeo learned how to do a sword skill (forgot if it was one or more) from Kirito, and Kirito showed off a multi-hit skill (which is a big deal, the more hits a skill has the harder it is to perform in that world)

Ventus_S said:
deg said:
so mental strength or confidence is the key to becoming stronger on underworld then, Kirito have plenty of that so i bet he will win this match

Tbh this setting is bit baffling to me too.
It just give reasons for Kirito's bullshit moment later on cuz "You have to be overconfident/ full of yourself" to become op.

But that's been part of the SAO story since almost the start.
Besides its not ''Kirito's power'' here. Anyone can use it. Including the person Kirito is fighting against.
Tokoya said:
Mattinator95 said:

Nope they just showed that tournament people have been mentiong that was cut plus a few more details about the world and a few new characters. But it was cut due to episode shortage otherwise wouldn't be able to fit the first 6 into the first 24 episodes
Were this info and characters worth knowing?

The info about Sword Skills and hits: yes. I forgot what characters were even there, so dunno about that part.

Basically at this point whenever you see Kirito thinking about something consider it a condensed version of something that was cut out, lol.
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Nov 17, 2018 8:31 PM

Sep 2018
TodAboT said:
I'm honestly surprised that people are saying this show improved, when the show still has the main problems from the other seasons.

Time skips (although these are necessary now because time flows faster, character development doesn't happen).
Exposition dumps.
Exposition dumps of things we have already seen (We already knew how the basics work from episodes 2-4).
Exposition dumps of things so obvious it's like they are explaining it to a toddler ("if you're low level you can only do simple spells, but if you're high level you can do more powerful spells").
Outright dumb writing. You can become many times more powerful if you believe in yourself? Even to the point where you could rewrite the laws of that world? Come on.
Constant Kirito Dick-Sucking in the form of words (this won't happen if the character is evil or an antagonist).

Pretty much all these problems are issues with the adaptation, not the source material.
That's where its different from before.

Source material is better written (more detailed, for example), but the anime writing quality feels more a mess since it cuts stuff out that then need to become info dumps since there wasnt time to show it.

That tournament arc that was cut? It shows Eugeo learning from Kirito and starting to become a Swordsman. That was cut so obviously less development. Early on at the start there was a period in the light novel that told about the life of Kirito, Alice and Eugeo in the village: it was also cut, only one small scene shown. So yeah this adaptation so far lacks in character development.

TodAboT said:

No offense but that's where you are just overthinking things. Thats not exposition: its Kiritos actually thoughts. He is simply confirming how things work in that world.

Don't take everything like its directed at you (the viewer).
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.
Nov 17, 2018 9:20 PM

Nov 2017
- the reason i give 4/5 is... the ending is just like "that" and the fucking cliffhanger
Now Loading.....
Nov 17, 2018 10:17 PM
Aug 2013
-Riptide- said:

Liena-senpai top tier waifu BTW

Dude, I'm on your side.
Nov 18, 2018 1:01 AM

Nov 2014
Gwah, I hate it when they cut us off right before interesting fight.
I totally expected him to get 2nd sword when he talked about getting something ready. Tho it seems he will stick with only 1 in Alicization?
Those bad guys are so... bad. That's one of biggest flaws of SAO for me - cheap small time villains.
Nov 18, 2018 1:08 AM

Jan 2015
No fucking way that cliffhangeeeeerrrr
Nov 18, 2018 1:31 AM

Jun 2017
For the people who are complaining about the time skip, nothing significant happened in those two years. So it is a necessary time skip unlike in the first season.
And if you are curious about the "imagination power" I recommend you to watch Accel world.
Nov 18, 2018 2:29 AM
May 2013
Uhhmm why isnt Kirito more worried about spending so much time in there. Even if he knows less time is spent in the real world he has still experienced 2 years away from asuna, his friends and family, he doesnt seem at all disturbed by this.
Nov 18, 2018 2:42 AM

Dec 2013
Seems the power of feelings is going to play a factor in the series.

That cliffhanger!
Nov 18, 2018 2:58 AM

Mar 2017
Two year time skip huh. Looks like a lot of stuff changed.
I'm hyped for next weeks duel.
Nov 18, 2018 3:37 AM
Jan 2018
sgs2008 said:
Uhhmm why isnt Kirito more worried about spending so much time in there. Even if he knows less time is spent in the real world he has still experienced 2 years away from asuna, his friends and family, he doesnt seem at all disturbed by this.

He is disturbed by it but it's not been adapted.
Nov 18, 2018 3:39 AM
Jan 2018
Minar-kyun said:

2 years for him . Only 18 hours for the people in the Real world
Nov 18, 2018 3:50 AM

Mar 2017
Mattinator95 said:
Minar-kyun said:

Mattinator95 said:
Minar-kyun said:

Yeah I know that :)
Nov 18, 2018 5:17 AM

Jul 2014
That opening exposition dump was horribly written, easily my least favourite way of writing them and a really bad example of them to boot. Most of the rest of the episode was okay, but the unnecessary jerks don't fit at all, and you can bet the whole thing about confidence being able to surpass actual skill will be used as an asspull next episode and many times beyond (and no, I don't give a damn that it's linked to the terrible show known as Accel World, if anything that only makes it more ridiculous than it already is).
Nov 18, 2018 6:19 AM
Jan 2018
Congrats kirto your now the older then asuana. Even though your still younger then her in the Real world.

18 hours have passed since epiosde 2 then so kitro must have been put in the underworld just after Rinko arrived
Nov 18, 2018 7:09 AM

Mar 2016
It's so odd that in two episodes, two years have already passed. Now, is virtual Kirito older than real Kirito?

The sound Eugeo made when Kirito tapped him on the back was so cute!!

What was wrong with Kirito's eyes in some shots? It's like the eyes and the face didn't belong together. The size, shape and angle were rather off.

The world is getting quite interesting. I really hope we get to explore this world thoroughly, without it switching to something boring once again.

There are some senpais who look like they will end up creating a cliched plot for a while. Hope that their arc ends soon.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.