Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is it just me who finds Emma annoying ?
Nov 16, 2018 8:37 AM

May 2017
So I wanted to know what you guys think ? For me it's not like I hate her character but the way mangaka changed his approach towards the characters is what pisses me off, look at the first 2 arcs when there was a lot of focus on all the 3 characters but now that's totally not the case. Its true that norman is out of picture for now but what about ray? hopefully we get more pages on ray and norman whenever he appears again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 16, 2018 8:49 AM

Apr 2016
I felt like it's been a bit repetitive since they got out. I agree that Norman and Ray have not been getting enough attention recently.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 6, 2019 12:57 AM
Nov 2018
NO SHES SO FREAKING ANNOYING. I get the whole “super positive, change everyone’s opinion” characters like naruto but she’s a little too much. She’s so naive and stubborn and at times It really costs them. Like girl, shut up Lmaoo be more like Ray and Norman dang
Jan 8, 2019 11:30 AM

Apr 2018
Everything after the amusement park should be thrown in the trash and remade
Jan 9, 2019 8:46 AM

Dec 2016
Too nice = too annoying
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 9, 2019 9:24 AM
Mar 2016
Nah, you're not alone. I love both Norman and Ray, but it's a no for Emma. I've been hating her since the beginning of the series with her irrational though about "saving the whole kids." Each arc, she grew more and more annoying with her naivety and "I want to save everyone" trope. I just hope that one day she face a mental breakdown (somekind of seeing her entire family slaughtered by demons) that would lead to changes of her view toward the world and become a dark anime protagonist
Jan 9, 2019 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
She was a distant third for me behind Norman and Ray, but she's actually become my favorite character in the series.
Jan 9, 2019 7:01 PM

Feb 2010
i don't get why you hate her. i find her optimism a breath of fresh air compared by the thousands and thousands of edgy teenage protagonist in anime and manga nowdays.

and the edge lord of the first month of the year goes to you.
DA_Rialdo said:
Nah, you're not alone. I love both Norman and Ray, but it's a no for Emma. I've been hating her since the beginning of the series with her irrational though about "saving the whole kids." Each arc, she grew more and more annoying with her naivety and "I want to save everyone" trope. I just hope that one day she face a mental breakdown (somekind of seeing her entire family slaughtered by demons) that would lead to changes of her view toward the world and become a dark anime protagonist

i love how you respond with i hate x trope with the edgiest and most overused tropes possible.

kill protagonist family trope

metal break down trope

break the cutie trope

these have existed since forever

have some self awareness when you criticize a piece of literature for certain tropes only to responded with equally overused tropes.

GrimAtramentJan 9, 2019 7:10 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 13, 2019 8:36 PM

Mar 2017
As far as I'm concerned she is one of the main reasons why the manga is so good, yeah she is one of the more optimistic and reckless characters but I feel that's needed to survive in a world like the one there in. Unlike most reckless protags, she can reason, come up with realistic solutions, and acts as a beacon of hope to all of her friends in a believable manner.

TLDR; Your crazy, she's a great character
Jan 14, 2019 5:22 AM
Jul 2015
Emma is not annoying, she is the drive that this series needs in order for the goal of a world where people are not eaten is a reality. Plus like what was said when they were escaping if it wasn't for Emma then they wouldn't of been able to do half the things they have done and have that sense of Hope that the kids need in this world. She is the glue that holds everyone together, with her positive outlook on life and it's not like she hasn't had her moments of darkness since escaping. She is still very much a complex individual as she has said that even though she doesn't want to kill, if her back is too a wall she will do it. The point of Emma that a lot of people are missing is that she is trying to keep moral up by giving of a cheery and happy presence because she sees the bigger picture, she has to put on a brave face for everyone and show that despite how scared she is she is still moving forward and still believing in her ideas and goals against an impossible foe. Plus as well, if Emma is annoying because of her positive outlook on a dangerous world, what about Luffy from One Piece. Bottom line is that I agree that Emma is optimistic because that's what they need, if Emma wasn't in the series then it would just be a beacon of depression, you need those light hearted moments and those moments of hope and happiness because of that and if anything it makes the dark moments all that much darker as a result.
Jan 14, 2019 5:28 AM
Jul 2015
Major_Gilbert said:
I felt like it's been a bit repetitive since they got out. I agree that Norman and Ray have not been getting enough attention recently.

You could say that about a lot of Shounen series, even the big one, One Piece is Repetitive in nature in the sense that after every arc they visit a new island and there is conflict and a big fight against a strong opponent and also tragic backstories.
Jan 15, 2019 6:20 AM

Nov 2013
If not for Emma, Norman would have been fine leaving with just three of them alone. Ray would have actually killed himself towards the end of the first arc.
Emma was always the driving point. From the very start I saw Emma as the MAIN MAIN character of the story and as it progressed, it became more relevant, especially during the amusement-park chapter when Ray was just left behind the curtain. I was pretty surprised to see her at the bottom of the trio, considering Ray, and especially Norman (since he disappears after the first arc) had more fav's despite them contributing much less to the story than Emma.
Norman and Ray may be smarter and more mature, but without Emma they would have failed. Emma's stubbornness is what makes her special.
Feb 11, 2019 6:30 PM

Nov 2017
I do love and appreciate her optimism. However, she is in sore need of development beyond just her positive exterior and desire to save everyone. I'd love to see her grow from her naivete, or be confronted by the fact that not everyone can be saved. As of now, she feels a bit stagnant, particularly after so many chapters of major events.
Feb 12, 2019 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
no you are not the only one, I find her annoying too, she thinks more emotionally than logically
Feb 13, 2019 5:47 AM

Nov 2015
I think I agree with almost all of the other comments here. It's like she's never changed a lot from the beginning, but I really feel like the latest chapters (especially chs. 121 and 122).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 8, 2019 8:44 PM

Dec 2017
Emma is still my favourite character, but I honestly feel she is a bit naive, to a point where she lets her emotions control her. She's basically like Eren from the first few arcs of SnK.

I feel like it definitely is kind of foolish to think that some kind of peace can be achieved between the two species. The demons are the humans' natural predator and killer and have been killing her fellow children for generations. They essentially at war to determine which species will survive. I just do not think a peaceful option is viable in this scenario.

That being said I do admire her passion, which is what makes her my favourite character to begin with. I just hope the mangaka does her arc justice and doesn't just paint her as a foolish and naive character until the end.
shikinoutaMar 9, 2019 12:29 AM
Mar 9, 2019 2:51 AM

Jun 2016
I find her annoying but not to hate level. I can understand her naivety is to balance out with Ray cynicalism but She is too nice and get a little bit annoying. I never like characters who are too nice In general because they become stupid,Fool and too soft.

I am fine with her but she does annoy me. I prefer Ray way more who is more realistic but can also bordeline cynicalism to extreme.

She wanting coexist between Demon and Humans despite current circumatances.It will piss me off If she Decide to stop exterminate of Demons If she has no end solution to save Humans.

The things is she need to develop more and grow up that naivety and idealism will not save anyone it will just get the people she care about kill.

Norman is pretty balance of the both.
PrideRoyalIvyMar 9, 2019 3:40 PM

Mar 12, 2019 7:05 AM
Oct 2018
She was annoying from the beginning.i cringe everytime she says i will save evryone blah blah for fuks sake shut up u bitch .norman and ray are way better
Mar 12, 2019 1:18 PM
Jan 2014
Yes, I hate her. They finally have a leg up to saving human cattle children and she has to be all contrarian to Norman's plan because "a demon helped me that one time and I'm the naive yet stubborn trope that always gets what they want by the stories end because the writer doesn't know how else to write an actual character arc for me". Its sickening and doesn't belong considering everything that has happened to her and characters around her.

I will be waiting until this manga ends before I ready anymore because I do not want such a story with promise to disappoint me.
Mar 12, 2019 2:32 PM

Jan 2019
No i don't
I like Emma actually.
Some of the things she does i find annoying, but i understand her desire.
What i find annoying mainly is her Opinion on the Demons in the latest Chapters, but i can understand it, its just naive, but tbh if you have read Liars Game u know what real naivity looks like and since then naivity has not really bothered me all that much xD
Mar 15, 2019 9:27 PM
Mar 2019
She transcends the realm of annoying and enters the kingdom of fiery hatred. This is extremely personal for me, as Ray is essentially a carbon copy of me, and therefore she is the personification of everything I look down upon. I find her irrational sense of equality and kinship absolutely sickening and disgusting. The inferior are meant to die. It's natural selection and how we evolved. This whole "I want to escape with everyone to a society that wishes to devour us and then within this society form a new society where everyone is equal and we all live happily ever after" schtick is really urking me, and I genuinely hope she gets what's coming to her and dies a gruesome death to disillusion us from the perfect world she and everyone else is living in. Every episode is "oh, you can't call him weak even though he is weak and inferior" and "I WANT TO ESCAPE WITH EVERYONE BWAAAAA, THERE IS GOOD IN EVERYONE, WE ARE FAMILY, LET'S HOLD HANDS AND LOVE EACH OTHER". Like honest to god, get a reality check you asinine cunt.

tl;dr In my oh so humble and completely correct opinion, I believe Emma is a degenerate who poisons society by spreading her lies about love and friendship, and I sincerely pray for her to die the most gruesome death possible. So yes, I do find her annoying.
Mar 24, 2019 11:47 PM
Aug 2016
TubeCow said:
She transcends the realm of annoying and enters the kingdom of fiery hatred. This is extremely personal for me, as Ray is essentially a carbon copy of me, and therefore she is the personification of everything I look down upon. I find her irrational sense of equality and kinship absolutely sickening and disgusting. The inferior are meant to die. It's natural selection and how we evolved. This whole "I want to escape with everyone to a society that wishes to devour us and then within this society form a new society where everyone is equal and we all live happily ever after" schtick is really urking me, and I genuinely hope she gets what's coming to her and dies a gruesome death to disillusion us from the perfect world she and everyone else is living in. Every episode is "oh, you can't call him weak even though he is weak and inferior" and "I WANT TO ESCAPE WITH EVERYONE BWAAAAA, THERE IS GOOD IN EVERYONE, WE ARE FAMILY, LET'S HOLD HANDS AND LOVE EACH OTHER". Like honest to god, get a reality check you asinine cunt.

tl;dr In my oh so humble and completely correct opinion, I believe Emma is a degenerate who poisons society by spreading her lies about love and friendship, and I sincerely pray for her to die the most gruesome death possible. So yes, I do find her annoying.

You just took the words right out of my mouth! I feel so relieved that there's other people who think the same way lol
Mar 26, 2019 4:10 AM
Aug 2018
I had no problem with her until she proposed to not wipe out demons but that was a result of bad story writing rather than me disliking her personality. There just has not been enough of a reason for her to feel sympathy for the demons.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Mar 31, 2019 12:51 AM
Mar 2019
Emma is definitely annoying to the point where when she starts getting these happy naive ideas that everyone will make it out alive, I just want to swoop in and be the man-eater that mass slaughter her entire family in front of her. It's not wrong to be optimistic in a world where there's really no place for humanity to survive but I just can't help the fact that she's giving these children hope when she herself really does not know if it is possible to achieve in the first place, and too much of it. Emma will definitely become more likable once something she wanted to prevent happening in the first place will be out of her control and then undergoes through a series of development.

However annoying she is, she's also the main drive for Ray and Norman to keep on living, the two most liked character in MAL. Plus she is also the beacon of hope every depressed human being in this world needed until recently. So an annoying necessary character indeed.
Apr 1, 2019 5:17 PM

Nov 2018
TubeCow said:

Well, thanks for the disgusting comment. You could keep your oh-so-correct opinion to yourself, no thanks. Ray doesn't agree with you on the hatred anyway.

I personally like her. Yeah, she's too idealistic and a little naive n even borderline annoying at times but she has made stuff work for the most part so far so I am going to keep rooting for her.
Apr 1, 2019 6:56 PM

Mar 2019
I like Emma and her idealism provides part of the story's conflict.

We'll see if Emma holds on to the idea of not wiping out the demons, she's being practical. If the promise is ruined there might not be a way out of the demon world.

Also most edgy r/iamverybadass anime/manga take forever to move past their angst so... Shrug? Sometimes the angst goes somewhere, other times it doesn't and I'm just done with the series. I often prefer idealistic characters.
Apr 13, 2019 5:05 AM
Sep 2018
I do agree. I can understand wanting to bring all the kids. I do feel like something should have happened to make her realize that sometimes you can't have all that you want. But her wanting to keep all demons alive, feels like a stretch. I don't think she truly has a reason to want all demons to live. Now if she wanted to simply keep her two friends alive (musica and sonju) that would make more sense. If this were tokyo ghoul and she lived with demons and saw that a lot of them did have hearts I would understand. But this isn't the case.

Basically to say, I feel like her reaction was a bit overblown. The kids were her family, so it's understandable that she'd want to bring them along. But all the demons are *not* her family.
Apr 13, 2019 5:43 AM

Jan 2016
I think she's a cute girl. Yes, in a pedophile way ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But seriously, i do think Emma is annoying in this case. She's very nice and idealistic.
It's wise to consider bringing everyone away but it's nice to consider other possibilities. Bringing everyone is a pain, then she doesn't want to sacrifice anyone anymore making it even harder. That's why i think she is annoying but in the time is the cute part of her. <3
May 6, 2019 10:41 AM

Oct 2015
I don't find her annoying. She's not my favourite character, but I believe this story needs someone like her to counterbalance others.
Omnia munda mundis
Jun 28, 2019 11:37 PM
Jun 2019
Agreed why would you even want equality for those treats you like a cattle? Emma need direct traumatizing event from demon to straighten her ass up.
Jun 29, 2019 12:03 AM

Nov 2015
Aliesgrise said:
Agreed why would you even want equality for those treats you like a cattle? Emma need direct traumatizing event from demon to straighten her ass up.
Umm because that's exactly what the author is trying to tell us.
Jul 6, 2019 9:17 AM

Oct 2017
I started getting annoyed by her around chapter 127 in the manga. Bright anime characters really pissed me off.
Jul 12, 2019 10:53 AM
Jul 2019
Honestly I was fine with Emma at the first arc but then after I got kinda pissed cuz now it’s like everything is mostly on her story line there are still storyline for Norman and Ray but it’s mostly for Emma in my opinion
Jul 17, 2019 2:06 PM
Jul 2019
I think at first she wasn't immediately annoying. At least for me. I kind of understood why she wanted to save everyone even tho it is a ridicules idea. But this wasn't a right choice from the author. Instead of letting a few kids die which would have strenghtend Emmas character the author chose not to kill anyone. It would have been the perfect oportunity for a character to grow but they fucked it up. But the biggest issue is that everything what Emma says must be done by all the other characters. I want to save everyone! Sure Emma but this isn't a fuckin fairy tail! This is why I dropped this series because I don't see the backlash from the constant reckless actions of hers! She has such a good plot armor that even others are protected by it. But when they really lost me is when Emma wanted to save the demons. I started laughing when she sayd that! I mean wow Emma I understand that you are a real pure maiden but for the love of god! The entire thing falls apart after the outbreak and there is zero motivation for the story to move on. We have Emma the saint wannabe. Norman Jesus Christ himself! And Rey who actually had a character arc and was the most promising character but ended up being Emmas supporting character. This manga was wasted on the most boring and unchanging character in the universe.
RaistarlingJul 18, 2019 6:18 PM
Jul 22, 2019 1:33 PM

Feb 2011
I guess I'm like Mr. Yuugo in this case. She annoys me because her attitude is something I wish I have, but just like the majority of us who thinks rationally and realistically her attitude seems a bit dislikable and enviable.

Just how convenient it is if we have the kind of blueprint attitude with us right?

Jul 22, 2019 11:21 PM

Feb 2018
Yes, she might be annoying but isn't she like 14? Although her character traits fall under a typical shounen trope.
Sep 7, 2019 10:30 AM
Apr 2017
I believe that the focus on Emma is because she is meant to be the protagonist in a Shounen. I'm not sure if it is the first time that this happens, I don't think so, but it is the first time that it's working so much, so the Editors might think that is better to keep Emma as the main focus.
Sep 19, 2019 11:20 PM
May 2018
I didnt really like her since the beginning but as the manga progressed she became so annoying i cant stand her
Sep 20, 2019 4:22 AM

Aug 2019
She is the reason I dropped the manga
Oct 11, 2019 7:22 AM
Oct 2018
No brother you are not alone.Thanks god i have found someone with a brain.She is way too annoying. Everybody can not be happy at the same time ,it is as simple as that but that annoying whining piece of shit doesnt get it.I almost dropped it because of this mot**rf**ker
Oct 11, 2019 7:39 AM
Oct 2018
BitterBones said:
TubeCow said:

Well, thanks for the disgusting comment. You could keep your oh-so-correct opinion to yourself, no thanks. Ray doesn't agree with you on the hatred anyway.

I personally like her. Yeah, she's too idealistic and a little naive n even borderline annoying at times but she has made stuff work for the most part so far so I am going to keep rooting for her.
Thanks for your disgusting opinion that nobody wanted.Now go stand in front of a mirror and masturbate while looking at your positive optimistic face
Oct 11, 2019 7:53 AM

Nov 2018
Auvrish said:
BitterBones said:

Thanks for your disgusting opinion that nobody wanted.Now go stand in front of a mirror and masturbate while looking at your positive optimistic face

Are you a kid. The reason I said its disgusting is because they claimed Ray sees Emma like they do which is a really distorted take on his character. I doubt Ray would withstand it if someone insulted her so horribly and claimed Ray thinks so too. They can hate Emma all they want but insulting her and so horribly at that is just a no.
And just because you can't take my opinion as you are so immature doesn't mean everyone can't. Be careful with your wording next time.
Oct 25, 2019 11:12 PM
Oct 2019
There's really nothing wrong with her character - if this was the real world that is. Optimistic, bright, intelligent and most of all, never leaves her friends behind and has compassion for her enemies. What more could you want? What irks me is how unrealistic her personality is within the dark, seinen world. How does she miraculously save all the kids? How does she stay alive with her mindset to rescue demons and find obscure, difficult paths to secure a bright future for everybody? Every single decision she makes is the riskier one. But she manages to scrape through due to her 'infallible belief in friendship' and 'intelligence'. Mary Sue protag much. It's just not possible, within such a world. Perhaps this is just an example of bad writing. I honestly expected her to screw up, and undergo some character development (actually development for any of the characters would be good, since they have been lacklustre and unchanging after the first arc). Their world is akin to the world of AOT, and in that anime, you see the characters being shaped by their ordeals and harsh environment.

TL;DR: She's a genuinely good person and I admire her optimism, but she seems unrealistic and a downright liability within a realistic portrayal of her world.
Jan 23, 2020 8:49 AM
Mar 2019
Possible spoilers(you have been warned)
Meen i dont know , in the first arc the author forshadowed the gon potential in ema but i think he decided to brush that off and he let her be the generic shonen jump protagonist . As for ray he become basically a side character since his character arc ended in the escape arc , such a waste for a well written character , it would ve been better and more epic for his character if he burned himself to atone for his selfishness and save ema and the others but whatever. And here comes norman , after his return in the story his character become amazing , a genius mastermind whose goal is to free his race and eradicate the demons , but ofc ema with her childish mentality changed his mind in 1 chapter , look to be fair i m not against talk no jutsu , but at least make it more epic , like ray and ema outsmarting him or getting in the way of his plans that would ve been such an epic arc , but no the author decided to change his mind like that vite fait . To conclude in the beggining it was such a good manga , it went from an excellent survival story to a mediocre adventure story damn it .
Jan 23, 2020 9:08 AM
Mar 2019
ttcchen said:
Sephyros said:
Too nice = too annoying

just like Hiyori from Noragami.
Apparently to the anime community, nice girls = hateable, horrible characters
Are y'all secretly closet Hachimans???
🤣🤣🤣🤣your comment made my freaking day
Jan 26, 2020 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah,
I feel she's kind of overly annoying and illogical.
Jan 26, 2020 5:35 AM

Aug 2016
this whole manga has gotten annoying. I can't wrap my head around why it annoys me so much but the whole way the story started out and the issues they had to deal with compared to what is going on now its like the story has changed so much its easy to start disliking it because it basically tries to be everything it went from cat and mouse chase and mindgames to some weird world building with constant manslaughter and a weird-ass battle shounen syndrome and tactical gunfights to half-assed morals about why we shouldnt kill what wants to kill us and resolve this differently when you really dont have a choice and then some weird sci-fi has been thrown into the mix that made this even more all over the place and we had some weird religious and cult shit man, this manga never stops being something else
Feb 1, 2020 10:23 AM
Mar 2019
y'all delusional, if you imagine Emma as a logical thinker... the trio wouldn't be as interesting as they are. It's normal for Emma to act like that, it's her personality. Her feelings towards demons is perfectly understandable. Why? Because demons do the exact thing that humans do, turning other species to cattle etc., she may be seeing demons as living creatures that do anything they can to survive, like humans. That personality of hers made the manga interesting. Because if the story stick to Norman and Ray's thinking, all of the events would progress smoothly, where's the fun in that?
May 12, 2020 3:53 PM
May 2020
She literally always wants more and more.... it’s not even natural for demons to have a human form so why try and save that ? Like yeah let me put everyone at risk for my ideals because I have a soft spot for 1 demon I met 1 time. Super annoying.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2016

19 by Jonas1402 »»
Apr 8, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 45 Discussion

zal - Jun 29, 2017

27 by luv_for_anime »»
Mar 23, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 20 Discussion

ichii_1 - Dec 26, 2016

19 by instantzoso »»
Mar 18, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2017

23 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 6, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2017

40 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 5, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.