Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 15, 2018 7:32 AM

May 2018

So The Game Awards just name their nominees for 2018 best game of the year.

Which is the best games of 2018 for you? I haven't play Red Dead Redemption 2 so for now I will go with God of War. It has the best combat system in all video games.
Papa_ScorchNov 15, 2018 8:09 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 15, 2018 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
idk i havent played any of them but i'm looking to get God of War so i think it be cool if that got it i dont really have an interest in playing the others
Nov 15, 2018 9:02 AM

Oct 2018
Red Dead Redemption is alright

Fallout 76 is pretty good.

Black Ops 4 is trash, didn't expect much from it tbh

God of War series is great as always

Monster Hunter World is amazing

Farcry 5 was a let down

These are all the major titles I've purchased and played. I bought some indie-games here and there, but i'm not going to include them for the simple fact they're not meant to be revolutionary

i'm a worm
Nov 15, 2018 9:24 AM

Aug 2012
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time is GOTY in my heart. But i think that God of War will take it.
Nov 15, 2018 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
It will either be Red Dead Redemption 2 or God of War but I'm leaning more towards Red Dead Redemption 2 as that game is far more popular.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Nov 15, 2018 12:54 PM

Mar 2018
idk, red dead redemption 2 is probably gonna win but personally i loved Celeste so that is my game of the year
Nov 15, 2018 1:00 PM

Jul 2009
Played all the GOTY nominees except Celeste, so I feel like sharing my brief thoughts on each. Going from my most to least favorite.

Monster Hunter: World is the best game I've played in a long time, not just this year. One platinum trophy and 500+ hours later, I still find myself coming back to it. A massive step-up from its predecessors in virtually every aspect. Gained a newfound respect for Capcom because of this game.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my runner-up. The gameplay and graphics are great and all, but its true strength is the surprisingly well-written story. Arthur Morgan is honestly one of the best video game protagonists I've seen. I'm currently still 70% through the main story, but I've completed all possible side missions and activities since I'm enjoying it so much. Rockstar's best game since San Andreas.

God of War is very fun. I didn't like the hack-and-slash combat of the older games, so this was a breath of fresh air. I'll probably get flack for this, but I didn't enjoy the narrative as much as everyone else. Still, the fantastic battle system and gorgeous art direction more than make up for it.

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is a pleasant surprise since the only entry I liked before this was the second game and Black Flag. The RPG gameplay felt gimmicky at first, but now I find myself wishing for its return in all future AC games. The dual protagonist feature could use some improvements and so does the stiff facial animations.

Marvel's Spiderman is the only nominee I dislike. The reason I only enjoy a handful of open-world games is because most of them feel bland and uninspired. While RDR2 and (surprisingly) AC: Odyssey evaded this, Spiderman did not. What primarily turned me off though was the clunky battle system. I didn't like how you fight in the Arkham games, and Spiderman's combat felt similar but even more stiff. The story also failed to capture my interest.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is my personal GOTY alongside Monster Hunter: World, but it's a niche Japanese game so I never expected it to be nominated.

I guess the winner will either be Read Ded Redemption 2 or God of War.
SkittlesNov 18, 2018 8:53 PM
Nov 15, 2018 2:21 PM

Aug 2018
God of War hands down, such a flawless game
Nov 15, 2018 4:57 PM

Dec 2014
We all know RDR2 is going to win. If a Rockstar game is released, there is no chance for any other game to get GOTY. I haven't played any of the GOTY nominees except for MHW, while it was good, I'm pretty damn sure it's wayyyy outclassed by the likes of RDR2 and Dad of War.
Nov 15, 2018 5:39 PM
Mar 2018
God of was is a perfect game but you can literally feel the amount of money spent on red dead. Its really hard to say which one is the best since they are so different.
Nov 15, 2018 7:46 PM

Mar 2017
I'll give my pick to Smash....I mean God of War because its the only game I've played out of the ones mentioned. Surprised Celeste actually made it up there, that's nice to see. I think RDR2 will win because its fresh in people's minds and seems like a very good but I feel it has an unfair advantage being released a lot later then the other games listed.
Nov 17, 2018 8:13 PM

May 2018

Agree with what this youtuber said especially on the combat part. GoW 2018 combat is really the best and why it deserve to be GoTY.
Nov 17, 2018 8:42 PM

Sep 2018
If I had to take a guess to what will most likely get game of the year
Funny meme

God of War. The gameplay was fun so it got my vote.
Nov 17, 2018 8:45 PM

Oct 2018
Celeste got in, I mean it's going to lose, but I'm proud!

Red Dead's gonna take it, haven't played too much of it since it released but I know for sure it's going to take it. I want Spiderman to lowkey win though because I like the swingy swingy and gay flags.

Smash is prob gonna be GotY for me though, only it hasn't come out yet...

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Nov 17, 2018 8:45 PM

Aug 2009
Monster Hunter World, 'cause I wouldn't say that Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash(Steam) is game of the year material.

Nov 18, 2018 1:11 AM

Dec 2014
>Celeste got in.
Not surprising. It has a pretty slick gameplay and compared to the other nominees, it doesn't feel clunky at all. Heck, I'd even say it has the smoothest gameplay in gaming history. It also looks gorgeous plus the story is quite solid.

Yes, Celeste has a high chance of winning

thefreeloaderNov 18, 2018 1:15 AM
Nov 18, 2018 2:13 AM

Jan 2018
Spider-Man PS4 deserves to be the win!
Nov 18, 2018 7:47 AM
Apr 2018
I think it's God of War
Nov 18, 2018 9:12 AM

Feb 2016
Red Dead Redemption 2, there is no competition here.
Nov 18, 2018 9:22 AM

Oct 2013
Celeste should win but we all know it wouldn't.
Nov 18, 2018 12:14 PM

Sep 2012
Assassin's creed is the same game they have been putting out for years, except now they have some of the worst implemented RPG mechanics in videogames for the sake of artificially increasing the game's length. Not as terrible as Origins, although that would've taken effort.

Monster Hunter World is alright I guess, but I never really found whacking an unresponsive health sponge boss for 20 minutes fun, Dark Souls bosses are much more memorable than them and they're a third/half as long because of their gameplay mechanics and excellent movesets (they're also visually incredible, be it because of the arrange of moves they throw at you or the scenary where the battle is taking place).

God of War 2018 was great, although I still liked God of War 3 more because of the scale of bosses like Poseidon or the climatic fight between Zeus and Kratos. Story and script was standard and Atreus development felt forced at times, but it was still solid and impressive on a technical level.

Spiderman PS4 was very good, however the SJWness is palpable and pretty cringe how they tried to force Miles and MJ into everything, their gameplay segments leave a lot to be desired and break the pacing of the game. Also that new black cat design in the new DLC is awful.

Celeste is pixel indie trash to fill in the "videogames are art" quota. Nothing actually worthwhile to see here, you always get people praising one of those mediocre games each year, Cuphead was last year and before that was Val-halla.

RDR2 is absolutely breathtaking though, easily the best game rockstar has ever put out, so that takes my vote. Amazing world, characters, music, visuals and overall a lot more polished than any GTA that came before it. Maybe too polished, since the controls take a while to get used to.
GoldenSaltPillarNov 18, 2018 12:31 PM
Nov 18, 2018 12:24 PM

Nov 2011
Gorochu said:

Agree with what this youtuber said especially on the combat part. GoW 2018 combat is really the best and why it deserve to be GoTY.

What about this youtuber?

Nov 18, 2018 12:29 PM

Nov 2011
GoldenSaltPillar said:
Assassin's creed is the same game they have been putting out for years, except now they have some of the worst implemented RPG mechanics in videogames for the sake of artificially increasing the game's length. Not as terrible as Origins, although that would've taken effort.

Monster Hunter World is alright I guess, but I never really found whacking an unresponsive health sponge boss for 20 minutes fun, Dark Souls bosses are much more memorable than them and they're a third/half as long because of their gameplay mechanics and excellent movesets (they're also visually incredible, be it because of the arrange of moves they throw at you or the scenary where the battle is taking place

God of War 2018 was very good, although I still liked God of War 3 more because of the scale of bosses like Poseidon or the climatic fight between Zeus and Kratos.

Spiderman PS4 is pretty good, however the SJWness is palpable and pretty cringe how they tried to force Miles and MJ into everything, their gameplay segments leave a lot to be desired and break the pacing of the game. Also that new black cat design in the new DLC is awful.

Celeste is pixel indie trash to fill in the "videogames are art" quota. Nothing actually worthwhile to see here, you always get people praising one of those mediocre games each year, Cuphead was last year and before that was Val-halla.

RDR2 is absolutely breathtaking though, easily the best game rockstar has ever put out, so that takes my vote. Amazing world, characters, music, visuals and overall a lot more polished than any GTA that came before it. Maybe too polished, since the controls take a while to get used to.

Jeez I thought the video games are art quota would refer more to stuff like Shadow of the collosus, Journey, and Gone home. Never played Celeste but Cuphead was a lot of fun though I dont think its as good as a lot of its run n gun influences like Gunstar Heroes and Contra.
Nov 18, 2018 3:55 PM

Dec 2014
My vote goes to Monster Hunter World, I doubt it'll win though. By far the best coop game I have played in years and I mean like in a decade. I haven't had this much fun playing a coop game since the days of TimeSplitters.

I suspect the winner will either be RDR2 or God of War leaning more towards RDR2 though. I haven't played God of War yet but I've liked all the previous games so I suspect I'll like this one too.
RDR2 is pretty good, the narrative is definitely the strongest point of the game and it really carries it despite all the gameplay issues you might take with it.

Personally I don't think this year was a very strong year for video games bar the few high profile titles we got but I'm mostly just saying that because I'm comparing it to 2017. 2019 on the other hand is looking fantastic.
Nov 18, 2018 5:22 PM
we back

Aug 2015
I cannot even put into words how good Red Dead Redemption 2 is, and every other GOTY "competitor" is laughable compared to it.

The winner is obvious.
Nov 18, 2018 7:17 PM

May 2018
EmperorDemonGava said:
Gorochu said:

What about this youtuber?

No comment on the story since I don't really care much about story when it comes to games.

-For the combat comment, such as the zoom in camera, you just need to git gud. The youtuber fail to git gud so he see the zoom in camera angle as problem. It's only a problem if you get greedy with your attack. Something I learn from playing SoulsBorne. Never engage or stay in one position for too long when engaging multiple enemies so you can see what happen around you. Plus the red or yellow indicator will still appear when enemy you can't see in camera about to attack you so make use of that. Blade of Chaos is also a good crowd control. Besides, the zoom in thing is something that all FPS game has. Did he never play FPS before?
-Move assist not an issues for me since I always use lock on button when facing enemy. So whenever I attack, it always move to the same enemy I intended it to be.
-Enemy benefit from move assist? Huh? Never face that problem before. Again git gud in dodging enemy attack. Time it correctly then their so call move assist won't happen.
-'relatively easy to read and everything should behave in consistent manner'. Easy is boring. At this point' I can't help but think most of his criticism is because he fails to be good at the game.
-I also don't have problem with time dimension issues he's talking about due to slow motion. This isn't hack and slash game where you mash button all the time.
-He wasn't sure whether he should block or dodge until the enemy indicator turn red or yellow? Man, thanks to what I learn in Bloodborne,I use dodge in GoW like 90% of all time. You can also solve this problem if you wait the indicator color come out first before you decide to block or dodge.

Tl;dr
I'm not going to bother refute everything else he said here but most of his complains are not the issues with GoW but rather the youtuber himself.I can tell he is a conservative gamer who fail to learn and Git Gud with the new system of GoW. I do however agree with his comments that there are lots of squander time happen in the game.Platforming in GoW 2018 is nothing special.

Papa_ScorchNov 19, 2018 11:05 AM
Nov 18, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2015
It's a popularity contest so RDR II is a given.
Nov 18, 2018 8:54 PM

Jan 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 hands down. Even though I'm a bit biased have had played the original you can just tell the amount of effort and work that went into this game. The team who worked on it deserves at least that much.
Nov 19, 2018 4:32 AM

Sep 2012
I'm still going through the story but it would have to be Red Dead Redemption 2. I think that either God of War or RDR 2 will prolly win.

I still want to play the new Dragons Quest, Shadow of the Collosus, Spiderman and Octopath Traveler but I feel like I won't get around to them this year.
Nov 19, 2018 4:56 AM

Sep 2013
Yakuza 6. Got invested in the story quickly and it made me want to play the other entries in the franchise. Was a lot of fun.

Octo Traveler is a close second, the OST is top tier.
Nov 19, 2018 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
Gorochu said:

Alyce Rocha made some good points on gow. I’m looking forward to what she’ll say about RDR II. She’s one of the few decent female gamer youtubers to follow.

That being said. OP, I still want to play RDR II before deciding. I’m gonna be back on track playing in mid december, and I’ll be picking up 2 games: RDR II and probably yakuza 6 or spider man. After that, I’ll formulate my opinion. Up Until now, gow is my pick. But i feel RDR will give it a strong competition (it’s one of my favorite franchises).
Shishou_23Nov 20, 2018 3:11 AM
Nov 19, 2018 10:53 AM
Feb 2016
I haven't really played anything that was released this year at all.

Nov 19, 2018 12:27 PM
Oct 2018
Games of the years

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Celeste
Marvel’s Spider-Man
Monster Hunter: World
Nov 19, 2018 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
<Pathfinder: Kingmaker> is the only game that blew my mind this year, hands down!

Even though, I'm absolutely not a fan of games with 3D graphics, and RTwP (Real Time with Pause). And even after that, <Pathfinder: Kingmaker> still, with every aspect of the game beats every other (casual trash)game of 2018 to deepest corner...easily!

I hear the casuals crying already..."ohh but it's too hard and buggy" lol, keep on crying!
removed-userDec 6, 2018 11:05 PM
Nov 19, 2018 4:07 PM

May 2014
I haven't even played it yet, but the Spyro Trilogy on PS4 automatically wins game of the year for me.
Nov 19, 2018 4:21 PM

Jul 2013
Red Dead 2 will prolly win since it was released later, has general acclaim, sold a lot and was released on more than one platform so many more got to play it.

Personally out of all those Id give to Celeste. Maaaybe Spidey based on what I played but cant be sure.
Nov 19, 2018 5:27 PM
May 2016
The correct answer is Spider Man
Nov 19, 2018 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
Gorochu said:

Which is the best games of 2018 for you? I haven't play Red Dead Redemption 2 so for now I will go with God of War. It has the best combat system in all video games.
I see that dick-face-sellout Geoff Keighley still promoting shitty-console-type games, that are all look alike. So many years has passed since his first appearance on (gametrailers.com) and this ugly fucker still on the screen.
Nov 19, 2018 5:39 PM
Aug 2017

Turtles_Hunter said:
The fact there is no DQ XI tells a lot about that list : it's made for the average Joe, and is not about creativity and gameplay and actual game quality, but mostly about look and hype.

That's very true. I mean, that's how VGA has been all these years and the fact that we do see Japanese games at all says a lot about the current state of gaming: even the "average Joe" can't ignore their existence, unlike during PS3-PS2 era.
Sadly, majority is still very unaccustomed to anything that doesn't feel "American" (read "safe"). It's just very strange that the only "big" game award show that claims to be global is always aimed at one audience.
And they even put Call of Duty in it, haha. I have no doubts that they have these shady "paid promotions" going on.
Nov 19, 2018 5:57 PM

Dec 2015
God of War. This was one of the best combinations of narrative and gameplay of the generation. As for RDR2, are people ignoring how broken the aim system is? There are tons of screenshots on the internet of configurations you should use on the aim tab, and that proves something is wrong. Honestly, I can't give the GOTY to a game that fails to make a non broken gameplay.
Nov 19, 2018 6:03 PM

May 2018
Diablo Immortal is the best!

"Do you guys not have phones?" - Wyatt Cheng
Nov 19, 2018 6:51 PM

Apr 2010
I just know that Octopath was my biggest disappointment for this year.

I have no qualms with RDR2 winning. I'm playing through it atm and it's been a pretty awesome experience.
Nov 19, 2018 7:03 PM

May 2018
DejectedSoul said:
Gorochu said:

I see that dick-face-sellout Geoff Keighley still promoting shitty-console-type games, that are all look alike. So many years has passed since his first appearance on (gametrailers.com) and this ugly fucker still on the screen.

Non of the consoles games, Spider-Man, RDR 2, Gow are shitty. Non of them look alike too.
Nov 20, 2018 1:46 AM

Nov 2018
God of War would deserve it. It proved that single player games aren't dead.
Nov 20, 2018 2:52 AM

Jun 2016
Monster Hunter: World should get it, but it won't.

I'm going to completely honest about RDR2 here, I looked forward to it for years, and you know what, it's The fucking Witcher 3 with guns.

Nov 20, 2018 8:33 AM

May 2016
RDR2
Because i heard it did well with rattings.
Nov 27, 2018 5:43 AM
Feb 2016
Upon retrospect, the only game I played that was released proper this year was Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch), so I'd probably have to say that just by the virtue of it being the only 2018 game I played.

I mean, I played a lot of games in 2018, but most were either stuff from last year or 2016, or before that.

Nov 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Aug 2016
Game of the YEAR is Knack 4 baby!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2018 1:37 PM

Apr 2016
I'm really hoping Red dead 2 wins because I believe it's definitely the best game this year. But sadly, I think god of war will win because so many people already had time to digest it while red dead 2 is still unfinished by a lot of people because of how long of a game it is.

I'd be happy with either though. Sucks to be Xbox though, not one single xbox exclusive is on that list lmao. They really messed up this console generation.
Dec 2, 2018 11:29 PM
Aug 2018
Izuma-_ said:
Red Dead Redemption is alright

Fallout 76 is pretty good.

Black Ops 4 is trash, didn't expect much from it tbh

God of War series is great as always

Monster Hunter World is amazing

Farcry 5 was a let down

These are all the major titles I've purchased and played. I bought some indie-games here and there, but i'm not going to include them for the simple fact they're not meant to be revolutionary

Fallout 76 is pretty good?!
The game is full of server crashes and bugs and you cant even refund it.
It's just Fallout 4 copy and pasted "online"
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3505 by DesuMaiden »»
56 minutes ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3717 by DesuMaiden »»
57 minutes ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

48 by DesuMaiden »»
59 minutes ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

15 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

7 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.