Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have to watch a whole anime series to judge how good/bad it is?

New
Nov 14, 2018 11:59 AM
Aug 2018
It's like the title says.

This creates a lot of controversy between anime watchers. I feel like in my opinion, you should watch a decent amount of an anime (3-4 eps, depending on how long it is) to get a good idea of how the sotry goes, what the characters are like, etc. But a lot of people also argue that an ending is important, too. Idk, what do you guys think?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 14, 2018 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
Mostly i decide if to drop the anime at first episode if isn't good but sometimes i go at third or fourth episodes just to see if it's really worth or no. If it's good obviously i finish it.
Nov 14, 2018 12:07 PM

May 2017
Depends, If the anime is a shounen, so you just need to read the synopsis to judge it.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Nov 14, 2018 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
no
you can judge certain anime even after watching just one episode
Nov 14, 2018 12:09 PM

Aug 2017
The ending and the first episode are important.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 14, 2018 12:11 PM

Oct 2018
No

I watch the first episode and decide i want to continue. Sometimes I'll watch a few more episodes and later decide to drop it, but I don't drop much. I'll finish a bad anime just for the simple fact I know it was bad because I watched the whole thing.
Nov 14, 2018 12:17 PM

Mar 2018
As always, humans will always diverge from an initial thing

Do not fear OP, as i have the secret revelation

Depends of the shown, if it's a film, and it's Majorly Good quantity wise, then watching all of it is important but if the show is majorly bad, then regardless whether the ending or other stuff are good it wouldn't matter since those are just minors compared to something major so watching it wouldn't matter by that point as it's as good as not existing.
PhantomnocomicsNov 14, 2018 12:41 PM
Nov 14, 2018 12:18 PM
Jul 2015
I sometimes watch anime that are genres that I usually don't like, if the show has few episodes I just see the first 2..if I like them I see it completely, if not I drop it.

Sometimes I read a short review to know if I should wait until the end, I mean, if the show is 24 episodes and I will probably enjoy only 1 or 2 there is no point on watching it completely.
Nov 14, 2018 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
I don't watch things randomly to begin with, i'm not going to try something based on nothing to see if it's good or not. If i start something i'm going to finish it.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Nov 14, 2018 12:21 PM

Mar 2015
Yes, you can only judge based on what you see, thus you can't judge an entire series based on the portion you saw; you can only judge that portion.
Nov 14, 2018 12:22 PM

Jan 2016
I have the mindset of "a show can lose me at any time but can only really come out good if it's good all the way". I think it's fine to personally judge a show as bad at any point, since if it's lost you, there's not a particularly good reason to trudge through in the hopes it might get you back when there's so much else out there. But if it's currently good, I hold off judging it until it finishes. Yes, this is a harsh standard. Yes, some shows do take a bit to get going, which is why I'm lenient on a show early on (unless it's seasonal, because good God are there a lot of those, I don't have time to give every mediocre start a chance). But if a show starts off bad and gets good later, it'd better convince me that getting through all the bad stuff will be worth it for the show in the end.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Nov 14, 2018 12:22 PM

Feb 2018
You can judge many shows based on a single episode in my opinion. If the plot and characters that are being introduced are terrible then it most likely won't change later on.
Nov 14, 2018 12:26 PM

Aug 2013
Nah. The first episode is essential to establishing the whole mood of the series (with obvious exceptions), so if it doesn't grasp me by the end of it I see no reason for continuing it.

Of course, I won't bash at all of it with only this measly excerpt, but if by episode 4~6 (which is the middle of it for 1 cour series) this hasn't changed I feel safe to say it sucks. The best anime are usually good from the start. While I wait for it to "get gud", I could spend my time wisely on something that's good from the get-go.
Nov 14, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2018
Sometimes you don't need to know how bad it is...just is it appealing for you or not.

For example sometimes I enjoy bad animes and get bored by good ones.
Nov 14, 2018 12:37 PM

Jan 2018
YES

If you don't see it through to the end then your opinion means nothing imo.
Nov 14, 2018 12:38 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Give at least 3 episodes a try. If anime doesn't "pull" you. Don't bother.

As sometimes Anime/stories are not enough the get general gist/feel in 1 episode..
Nov 14, 2018 12:43 PM

Mar 2018
meatbun_ said:
Nah. The first episode is essential to establishing the whole mood of the series (with obvious exceptions), so if it doesn't grasp me by the end of it I see no reason for continuing it.

Of course, I won't bash at all of it with only this measly excerpt, but if by episode 4~6 (which is the middle of it for 1 cour series) this hasn't changed I feel safe to say it sucks. The best anime are usually good from the start. While I wait for it to "get gud", I could spend my time wisely on something that's good from the get-go.

I was going to say Gintama, but the goddess of fortunate does not smile for me to allow me to enjoy a sacred moment like this since you already mentioned ''exceptions''.
Nov 14, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Reasonable and well constructed Anime Trailer is enough for me. 99% it works with my prediction!
Nov 14, 2018 12:48 PM

Mar 2018
DejectedSoul said:
Reasonable and well constructed Anime Trailer is enough for me. 99% it works for my prediction!

trailers can be fake, just ask Fate Extra last encore
Nov 14, 2018 12:57 PM

Aug 2013
Phantomnocomics said:
I was going to say Gintama, but the goddess of fortunate does not smile for me to allow me to enjoy a sacred moment like this since you already mentioned ''exceptions''.

Eh, I didn't think about Gintama when I said exceptions. Gintama fans always say it gets good after 20 episodes (or 50, or 100, depending on who says it, or how many episodes the other person watched) and I never cared enough to struggle through so much to find whether that's true or not.
Nov 14, 2018 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Phantomnocomics said:
DejectedSoul said:
Reasonable and well constructed Anime Trailer is enough for me. 99% it works for my prediction!

trailers can be fake, just ask Fate Extra last encore
I don't care about Fate series I'm not good at sorting shit!
But, like I stated earlier...99% of the time, If I didn't like the Trailer then later on when I watch a first couple episodes...my expectation becomes the same as they were with the trailer.
Nov 14, 2018 1:01 PM

Mar 2018
meatbun_ said:
Phantomnocomics said:

Eh, I didn't think about Gintama when I said exceptions. Gintama fans always say it gets good after 20 episodes (or 50, or 100, depending on who says it, or how many episodes the other person watched) and I never cared enough to struggle through so much to find whether that's true or not.

I have the power to aboslutey say that Gintama is Truly something that should not be watched in a linear sense as there is no point as the story placement is the same as that of the fate series, in other words, barely existant, the ultimate way to watch gintama is to watch a random gintama.
PhantomnocomicsNov 14, 2018 1:11 PM
Nov 14, 2018 1:03 PM

May 2014
I don't think you do. I only have to watch a few minutes of some anime to tell if it's good or bad. I'm not going to waste an hour on every single anime i watch.
Nov 14, 2018 1:04 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah, I'd say you have to watch it all.
There's been a few shows where the first episode was mediocre or didn't draw me in, but the series ended up being good to great overall. There have also been series where the first few episodes were great and it ended up being crap because of later episodes or the ending.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Nov 14, 2018 1:05 PM

Dec 2012
1 episode is enough to form an opinion. Ratings can be changed later if that opinion changes.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 14, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2018
fancyjasper said:
I don't think you do. I only have to watch a few minutes of some anime to tell if it's good or bad. I'm not going to waste an hour on every single anime i watch.

You better not watch Fate Zero then, the first episode is 40 minute of basically, Fate how to 101 for noobs.
Nov 14, 2018 1:12 PM

May 2014
Phantomnocomics said:
fancyjasper said:

You better not watch Fate Zero then, the first episode is 40 minute of basically, Fate how to 101 for noobs.

I actually watched it about 5 years ago and i plan on continuing it eventually. I thought it was a decent first episode, i watched the whole thing.
Nov 14, 2018 1:18 PM

Mar 2018
fancyjasper said:
Phantomnocomics said:

I actually watched it about 5 years ago and i plan on continuing it eventually. I thought it was a decent first episode, i watched the whole thing.

well, my friend, i have a story for you, and it's a sad one, Ufotable won't complete heavens' feel which is basically fate zero 2, til lat least 2020 or 2021, and we won't see the fate route anime ''since there is no anime for FSN fate route'', till at least 2024, someone might die before then for how unfortunate it is

then we will have to wait 5 years for hallow ataraxia, which is basically fate zero 3 and another 4 years for fate strange fake, which is as of this moment, fate zero 4
PhantomnocomicsNov 14, 2018 1:23 PM
Nov 14, 2018 1:19 PM

Aug 2018
No.

Just like you, I only watch a couple of episodes to judge an anime series, and sometimes just watch the trailer.
Nov 14, 2018 1:20 PM

Oct 2017
It heavily depends on the show. For some series your opinion will change very little throughout, for others there may be parts that redeem or ruin the show for you. The problem is that you can't truly predict how much you'll like a show. However, for most shows, if you dislike the first few episodes it's probably a good indicator that you'll dislike the show as a whole, as the tone and content of most shows tends to be reasonably constant or predictable. I've found that the biggest factor in changing my opinion of a show is the ending. Many shows I considered to be fine, good or brilliant lowered my opinion of them because of the ending, NGE and Soul Eater for example.
Nov 14, 2018 1:21 PM

Jul 2017
Most of the time.

A lot of shows have contrasting first and last eps (like Darling in the Franxx) so purely judging the show based on the first few eps is pointless

Then there's also arc based shows which are usually completely different apart from certain aspects. Like Yosuga no Sora may seem like your a-typical romance harem until you get to the final arc
Nov 14, 2018 1:22 PM
we back

Aug 2015
If you don't like an anime after watching one episode and decide to drop it, then obviously that's completely fine.

But if you're going to talk shit on an anime, you should probably watch it till the end.

Mar 2018
Platypus7 said:
It heavily depends on the show. For some series your opinion will change very little throughout, for others there may be parts that redeem or ruin the show for you. The problem is that you can't truly predict how much you'll like a show. However, for most shows, if you dislike the first few episodes it's probably a good indicator that you'll dislike the show as a whole, as the tone and content of most shows tends to be reasonably constant or predictable. I've found that the biggest factor in changing my opinion of a show is the ending. Many shows I considered to be fine, good or brilliant lowered my opinion of them because of the ending, NGE and Soul Eater for example.

Stranger-desu, your first lines answered the thread more than the other lines ever could

May 2009
I wouldn't judge the quality of something without watching all of it.

But I can decide a lot quicker than that whether I want to bother watching it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.

May 2014
Phantomnocomics said:
fancyjasper said:

well, my friend, i have a story for you, and it's a sad one, Ufotable won't complete heavens' feel which is basically fate zero 2, til lat least 2020 or 2021, and we won't be see the fate route anime ''since there is no anime for FSN fate route'', till at least 2024, someone might die before then for how unfortunate it is

then we will have to wait 5 years for hallow ataraxia, which is basically fate zero 3 and another 4 years for fate strange fake, which is as of this moment, fate zero 4

Unfortunately i'm not really a Fate fan. I haven't enjoyed anything else from the franchise or just Type Moon stuff in general ^^;; I just have a feeling i'll like Fate Zero since it's written by Urobuchi and it doesn't have a lot of characters from stay night.
Nov 14, 2018 1:24 PM

Jun 2017
No, if you didn't enjoy the first episode there is a high possibility that you don't enjoy it further. Though if you enjoyed it you may lose your interest after some time
Nov 14, 2018 1:24 PM

Jul 2017
not really ,i think you have to see like half of the anime to see if its going to be good..
but sometimes the endings kind of Ruin the anime soo it depends. ( but mostly i would say that you dont have to watch the whole anime...to see if its good or bad...)
Nov 14, 2018 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Everybody has the right to an opinion, and the right to judge.
Many flaws I see early on in the 1st ep of an anime, continue throughout the rest of the whole series.
Nov 14, 2018 1:34 PM
Sep 2018
I usually try to watch around 4-5 episodes, at least. If it is short - around 12 episodes - then I will usually try to finish it. Sometimes it is just intriguing enough for me to continue it, despite there being certain factors I dislike. For many anime, the first episode is a good indicator of what the rest of the show will be like, but sometimes you need to watch a few more to get a true taste of it. Then, occasionally an anime will come along that defies all your expectations near the end of the show, for better or for worse. I believe it is a good idea to at least give the anime a solid chance, but if you haven't found anything to like about it after 4-5 episodes, there is no real reason to push yourself.
Despite this, there are the rare exceptions where I dropped an anime after the first episode. More specifically, Death Note was something that I didn't think I could continue after watching the first episode. I'm not a huge fan of psychological/horror in the first place, nor do I like the idea of cruel, villainous characters who have no respect for human life. However, because it was such a popular anime, I decided to give it a chance, but after the first episode, I just uncomfortable enough to stop it then and there.
So, in other words, I believe you should give every anime a solid chance, however, don't push yourself so far that you make yourself uncomfortable or compromise your morals. However, in the end, it all comes down to personal opinion.
Nov 14, 2018 1:34 PM

Jul 2014
junglin7 said:
It's like the title says.

This creates a lot of controversy between anime watchers. I feel like in my opinion, you should watch a decent amount of an anime (3-4 eps, depending on how long it is) to get a good idea of how the sotry goes, what the characters are like, etc. But a lot of people also argue that an ending is important, too. Idk, what do you guys think?

I think it depends on what you are trying to do. If you are writing/filming a review for the consumption of others and, this is the key part, want to be taken seriously then its professional malfeasance to review a show without first finishing it in its entirety. No matter how accurately you think you can predict a plot or story or themes, you can't do it with 100% accuracy without finishing the show. This basically applies to any entertainment medium.

If you are trying to judge whether a show is worth your time or, even more importantly, your money then watching one episode (although its probably best to watch more than one episode) and making a decision on whether to continue the experience is a perfectly valid thing to do. Of course, if you try to sway people's opinion of a show after doing this, expect pushback. People are right to be suspicious of someone who trashes a show they haven't completed.

That said, it should be noted that a show can improve upon a bad first episode or even a bad first season. If you do decide to skip a show with a poorly constructed introduction then you must also realize that you may be missing out on a good show. Star Trek: The New Generation is a prime example of this, in my opinion.
Nov 14, 2018 1:41 PM

Dec 2016
I can judge how an anime will usually turn out to be in less than 20 minutes, but it usually takes longer for it to be exact. I always watch to the end of an anime, and I haven't come across any that have gone a completely different direction to what I expected yet. I know there are some anime and manga that have endings that would change people's opinions (like how some people burned their Bleach volumes after it ended...) but I haven't come across any so far.
Nov 14, 2018 2:31 PM

Mar 2018
ScarletCelestial said:
I can judge how an anime will usually turn out to be in less than 20 minutes, but it usually takes longer for it to be exact. I always watch to the end of an anime, and I haven't come across any that have gone a completely different direction to what I expected yet. I know there are some anime and manga that have endings that would change people's opinions (like how some people burned their Bleach volumes after it ended...) but I haven't come across any so far.

If you want a show that would un-expect you, then HXH is a good suggestion for that. and there is gintama
Nov 14, 2018 3:31 PM

Oct 2017
If you feel like just first episode looks like it's already out of budget or with extremely weird pacing/ awkward animation/ storyboard, most likely it's gonna be shit later on.

If a studio can't even impress anyone at a technical standpoint at 1st episode (not necessary plot cuz some shows are slow burn ), it means the studio probably isn't trying to be begin with, and most likely it's gonna be shit throughout.

Don't believe me?
Try Conception and that incest sister one this season.
You can already tell it's gonna be garbage from first episode.
Ventus_SNov 14, 2018 3:37 PM
Nov 14, 2018 3:39 PM

Oct 2018
You can mostly tell what direction an anime is going on in the few first episodes. If they don't hook you, then it's not worth watching. You could argue that there are some series with really great and unexpected endings, but those are few in number.
Nov 14, 2018 3:45 PM
Apr 2018
Hell yeah. The final episode can change everything and if I dont finish the series I usually dont rate it, even for episodic series or series with no storyline. The only time I have rated a anime without finishing it was Chobits which I gave a 8 and watched 24/26 of the episodes.
Nov 14, 2018 3:53 PM

May 2016
Uhhh, yeah? Things can radically change in one episode--for example, Scrapped Princess was a super-promising and ambitious series up until episode 16, whereupon its narrative quality took the sharpest nosedive I have ever seen.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Nov 14, 2018 3:56 PM

Aug 2009
I watched enough of Kanokon to know that I don't care about the harem genre.

Nov 14, 2018 3:58 PM

Oct 2015
i think after watching a couple of episodes i'll choose to decide whether i'll like it or not.
⠀‧⠀

Nov 14, 2018 4:21 PM

Feb 2012
I don't judge "goodness", I only judge hype. If I'm not hyped, I will 100% drop any masterpiece. Being good is not reason enough to waste time I could use on games.
Nov 14, 2018 4:48 PM
Sep 2014
No. You have the right to judge an entire series from just watching half the first episode. Don't force yourself to watch/like something just because the hype/fans promise "it'll get better" later on, that's just wasted time better spent watching something better.

First impressions are everything; if the show fails to deliver on its first episode, that's the fault of the studio, not because you didn't commit your time as a viewer to watching the show in its entirety to give it an "in-depth" and "fair and balanced" critique or whatever else the fans try to justify the show with.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

20 by IpreferEcchi »»
10 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 42 minutes ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

145 by MogKnight »»
24 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 3 hours ago

18 by r3v3l3v3l »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.