New
Nov 14, 2018 4:45 AM

Oct 2015
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Interview #170 - @Cherrylover ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

British Feminist

Interview conducted by: @Golden_Scarlett
Edited by: @Skittles

Could you tell us about yourself?

Good day to my fellow MAL users and my distinguished Safe Space for Social Justice (SSSJ) members! I am a 23-year-old girl living in Cambridgeshire, UK. I was born in London in 1995 to a fairly well-off couple. I do not however recognise them as my parents—I first met my parents six years later, in Croydon. I shall not go into details, but the woman who birthed me was weak and did not stand up against her abusive partner. This led to my eventual adoption by my foster parents and subsequent interest in Gender Studies. Currently, I live by myself studying at the University of Cambridge. Having obtained a First Class in my undergraduate and postgraduate Gender Studies courses, I am now starting my first year as a PhD student in the Multi-disciplinary Gender Studies (PhD-MGS) programme. I have written and published two papers regarding misogyny in the twenty-first century, one of which was nationally recognized as a step forward in Inclusive Masculinity Theory.

Apart from my contributions to the field of Gender Studies, I regularly participate in pride rallies. While Cambridge is unfortunately a remnant of the nineteenth century when it comes to being progressive, universities such as York and Brighton have very much impressed me with their dedication to organising successful and impactful rallies; I have made it a lifetime mission to journey around the UK annually to join their cause.

Whatever time I have remaining is often spent in my room drafting up a new paper, organizing a speech for a rally, posting on my blog, or watching anime on Crunchyroll.

How did you choose your username?

It was never my intention to use CherryLover as my main handle on MyAnimeList (MAL), but SakuraLover was unfortunately taken by the time I signed up. CherryBlossomsLover was also a name I considered, but it was far too verbose and, truth be told, too bothersome to type whenever I log in. My handle has been at the end of various demeaning sexual jokes—most of which are sexist and classless—and usually involve my virginity, but I can confidently say I have grown to love it. I think it is a beautiful handle and I will not change it even if I have the opportunity to do so.

Could you give us a brief history of your time on MAL?

Let's see... I first started browsing MAL sometime in late 2014, mainly to check out anime-related news as well as the episode discussion threads in the Unlimited Bladeworks forum. What struck me during this time was the sheer amount of vitriol and trolling that began to pollute a fanbase that had once been incredibly excited to see an adaptation of the original visual novel. Plenty of this trolling was directed at Sakura, my all-time favorite fictional character, and hence I was compelled to finally join the forum in December of 2015.

The welcome I received was quite disgusting to say the least, as the trolling in the Unlimited Bladeworks forum had reached its zenith. Immediately upon my arrival, I was insulted and degraded for publicly voicing my support for Sakura, a character whom I relate with on a deeply personal level (more on that later). To see a completely innocent character such as her be slut-shamed and her abuse trivialized made me aware of just how toxic the Fate fandom had become. The group that had perpetuated these insults was known as the “Bait Club”, or the “Baiters” for short; they would essentially become my greatest adversaries on MAL for many months to come. Among their ranks however, I found OneTrueEmiya to be particularly obnoxious and callous in his trolling given his dedication to a fanfic that glorified the rapist Matou Shinji. Nonetheless, it is this first impression of MAL that has conditioned my generally hostile attitude when dealing with other users.

Sadly, MAL outside the Fate fanbase wasn't really much better. I decided to shift my focus on the Anime Discussion board to criticize the inherently problematic tropes commonly found in anime, with some of these including: the rampant objectification of women, the over-sexualization of lolis, the misrepresentation of women found in moe, and the power of the male fantasy. During this time, I also frequented the discussion boards of series such as KonoSuba and Re:Zero where I openly criticised misogynistic tropes; in return, I was met with laughably weak justifications from hordes of immature fanboys.

Alas, many users in general didn't take kindly to my views and would frequently attempt to silence me. Most retorts I found lacked any substantive points, being mostly rooted in fallacies such as strawman arguments, blatant ad-hominems, and goalpost shiftings. To make matters worse, the Baiters would often use this opportunity to derail any threads I participated in and openly attempt to troll me. There were several points where I simply had to walk away, as it was merely an exercise in futility to explain my feminist conceptions to them; I was going to be either completely misunderstood or completely dismissed. It was truly akin to trying to talk to a brick wall—only that a brick wall would make for a far better listener.

During this time however, I was able to befriend a fellow feminist by the name of Zilf who sympathised with my views and helped me combat detractors in the moe threads. It was through her encouragement that I established the Safe Space for Social Justice club in an attempt to create a haven where feminists could openly discuss their ideology without fear of reprisal. Sadly, because of real life matters, I lost all motivation to navigate through the misogynist filth of the anime community. I have now shifted away from online forums in general to pursue loftier goals.

Eventually, I returned after a long break because the recent controversy surrounding High Guardian Spice reignited my desire to spread my ideology. Although MAL is no less cancerous than it was back then, I do believe there are many on this site that sympathise with my feminist viewpoints; for me, that is the most encouraging thing of all. It also helps that the moderators have done a relatively good job of weeding out the Baiters and stifling the free reign they once had.

How do you think the people on MAL view you as a user?

No offence, but I find this to be a rather obtuse question. I care little of my overall image considering most users here have a juvenile understanding of the ideals held by feminism. The fact I have been endlessly barraged by strawman arguments over the years is all the proof you need that I am deeply misunderstood by the denizens of MAL. In fact, I recently learned about the existence of a MAL wiki article dedicated to slandering me, something I found utterly reprehensible. Once I am able to uncover the identity of the cowardly author, I will proceed to sue him dry for libel.

Nonetheless, people who describe me as being "authoritarian" or use buzzwords such as "SJW" or "feminazi" simply have not taken the proper time to understand me, which I find incredibly sad albeit unsurprising. I undoubtedly hold steadfast opinions and defend them passionately, but I don't believe it is all that unique considering that people I know will defend even the most outrageous beliefs such as "consensual pedophilia”.

My hope is that this interview will help clear the false impressions of me and help users see my character in a different light, but if you refuse to understand my viewpoints even then, that's fine too. Soon, there will come a day when progressivism will prevail, so cling to your bigoted and close-minded beliefs while you still can.

How did you get into anime/manga?

In 2014, on the eve of the war against the misogynist online culture known as "Gamergate", Rashida Manjoo, UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, criticised the UK for promoting sexist culture and misogynistic thinking. While skimming through a Daily Mail article regarding this issue, I happened upon a comment prefaced by an anime avatar with a sneering face—whom I now know to be Matou Shinji—saying this:

"I think she just needs a good dicking to be quite honest. Not that I'd dick her ugly c***."

I immediately reported this preposterous comment to the Daily Mail moderation team, and it was swiftly removed. However, I was curious where this scum-of-the-earth came from, so I proceeded to do some internet sleuthing to find out more about the origin of his avatar. Lo and behold, my research yielded the series known as Fate/Stay Night, a Japanese anime based on a 2014 visual novel (a disgusting medium that I will elaborate further upon in a later section). Within it, the very representation of misogyny itself: Matou Shinji.

Since I was attending university—undergraduate then at Cambridge, with distinctions in my early works and public speeches regarding our cause—and had the time to explore the medium, I proceeded to read Fate/Stay Night and immediately fell in love with the character Matou Sakura. She reminded me so much of myself—thrown away by a patriarchy with a long history of discriminating women, slighted by females (such as Illya and Rin) that played along to the "obedient powerless female" that men desire, sexually harassed and raped by a heartless chauvinist who never faced justice for his crimes, and a strong mental fortitude that drags her through life and into a happy ending. In short, she was everything I was, is, and want to be .

She is a character I will protect no matter what, as she truly reflects what we as women have to face on a daily basis. Her actions justified, her motives pure, her dreams never out of reach. Matou Sakura was a character—whether intentional or not by Kinoko Nasu—that reflected the feminist movement and the subsequent fight against the masculinity obsessed "gamers" in Gamergate.

As one of the users of the internet called to action by Reddit and Zoe Quinn during the era of Gamergate, I was exposed to even more of the filth that reached the furthest, darkest reaches of the internet. I was also thankfully exposed to anime by proxy of the overlapping fanbases between it and "gamers" (whom the quotation marks shall remain, because as a girl gamer, I am deeply ashamed to be associated with these despicable creeps).

The first non-Fate anime I was introduced to was Attack on Titan, or according to the Japanese purists, Shingeki no Kyojin. It was completely callous about its views on feminism and portrayed females as mere tools to augment the ego of the male warriors. Every female character in the show did nothing but whine or contribute to Eren Jaeger's success; it was disturbing to know that it had such a large, diverse, and disgustingly uncultured fanbase. While I did manage to discuss this matter with some of my queer and feminist friends and convinced them to boycott anything related to the show, I was largely unsuccessful in changing the pitiful mentality of users in online platforms such as Reddit and Tumblr. This nearly turned me off anime completely, but fortunately, I was able to stay interested in the medium thanks to the series called Sword Art Online.

In hindsight, Sword Art Online is a show that one could argue to be misogynistic and derogatory in its portrayal of women. I would most certainly disagree, but there is no doubt still room for argument. What captivated me about the show was how the composer, Kajiura Yuki, single-handedly produced every track and used only female vocals for certain themes. You are more than welcome to accuse my reasoning of being shallow—and no doubt the so-called Baiters reading this interview will—but this was what made me truly interested in the series. Gradually, the characters such as Asuna and Kirito—and eventually Sinon—grew on me so much that I purchased an Asuna figurine when I headed to London for MCM.

While Sword Art Online successfully drew me back into anime, I still needed something to anchor me to the medium for good. This soon emerged in the form of a female ensemble known as Kalafina. As the main vocal group headed by Kajiura, Kalafina represented a female strength not found in the western media. They were a united group of women who defied the odds and became renowned not only in "otaku" circles, but throughout Japan. Their song 'Lacrimosa' enchanted me, and from there, I proceeded into the world of anime.

In late 2014, I was told by one of my peers (a fellow PhD scholar at Cambridge and my longtime role model) that it was much easier to catalogue anime on the website called MyAnimeList instead of relying on an Excel Spreadsheet. While I did not proceed to do so immediately since I was already comfortable with my setup, I did browse the forums out of curiosity. I quickly discovered that the sheer sexism and misogyny displayed casually by the users there was beyond shocking, as if there was no consequence on this site for being a sexist pig. The place was so far removed from reality that it felt like a rustic community from the Middle Ages. By late 2015, I could no longer bottle up my frustration and decided to create an account. Lo and behold, on my first sojourn into the forums, I was brutally attacked by a group of Fate fans known as "The Baiters". They sexually harassed and objectified me—and Sakura—as a sexual symbol, often resorting to crude and misogynistic jokes such as "Did you lose your "Cherry" to rape?" (this one from a "Baiter" named EvilDragon666, an aptly childish name for a childish caricature of a man).

They bit me, so of course I bit back. Hard. This feud only pushed me further into the world of anime in order to better understand the danger I was up against, and from there, I was exposed to Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, Kara no Kyoukai, and many other works.

I was finally into anime, and I finally had a cause to fight for. MyAnimeList became my home.

Any users you like/dislike? Why?

People I like:

@Zilf - One of the few fellow feminists on MAL and someone I consider a true friend. Although she is no longer active, I will always acknowledge her as the lighter that sparked the blaze lying dormant within me. I will certainly never forget how adamant she was in upholding her beliefs.

@Skittles - A respectable moderator whom I came to admire. He is somewhat of a troll and we don't see eye to eye, but I can sense his warm kindness and genuine willingness to help those in need. Scarlett recommended him to be the editor for my interview because of his remarkable writing skills, to which he willingly obliged. As a sign of gratitude, I invited him to my SSSJ club. He joined, even if reluctantly.

@Ardanaz - Don’t always agree with him, but he easily is the most down-to-earth moderator I have encountered on this site. I appreciate how he takes his time to explain his decisions. His willingness to stand up to trolls like the Baiters is also commendable. I will be eternally grateful to him for standing up against Gensan, Illyricus, and the rest of those idiots. Should I one day be granted the honour of standing alongside him as a forum moderator, I will strive to make this site an ideal paradise for everyone.

@Panfuricus - A fellow member of SSSJ. Have greatly enjoyed the discussions I have had with him in our club’s Discord server, although I haven’t been too active as of late sadly. I am sure we will get a chance to revive things, my friend.

@Ahenshihael - One of the most grossly misunderstood individuals I have ever known on MAL. Although we share many fundamental disagreements on Fate/Stay Night, I find him to be a generally rational person unafraid to voice his opinions. He also adheres to strong progressive values, which you don’t see very often within the anime community.

@JewellTH - A kind girl whom I had several meaningful discussions with, even if we disagree on many things about Pandora Hearts. I am saddened to hear that she is no longer active. :(

@flannan - A respectable user whom I disagree with on varying points, but I find his arguments to be at least rooted in critical thinking. I cannot say the same for many others on this site.

@InkSpider - Although I have only just met her recently, I sincerely appreciate her for inviting me to her club. She is another one of the few progressive minds here on MAL; I have learned a great deal through my interactions with her and reading her posts. :)

@Tyrel - In his time as a forum moderator, I find his no-nonsense attitude to be quite respectable. Sad to see he has retired.

@Golden_Scarlett - Thankful to him for offering to interview me~ ^^

People I dislike:

@OneTrueEmiya - What can I say in regards to this despicable troll? He is narcissistic, tactless, pretentious, obnoxious, obtuse, sexist, and bafflingly ignorant of how the world works. He encompasses all I find wrong with both the Fate fandom and anime community in general. His snide attitude and unmitigated sarcasm truly drove me up a wall, so in a sense he did succeed at “baiting” me. I still find it mind-boggling he managed to evade a perma-ban for as long as he did, but at the end of the day, his trolling was rightfully brought to an end. Good riddance, I say. MAL is a better place without his toxicity.

@Shiza-sennin - Yet another contemptible troll. In a way, I find Shiza to be more dangerous than Emiya if only for the fact his trolling is not as blatant, so he can get away with bending the rules rather than outright breaking them. It appears increased moderation on the site drove him to inactivity as well, which relieves me greatly. He and Emiya can stroke each other’s egos elsewhere for all I care, though I do sincerely wish he has grown up from his rather childish antics. Just two rotten peas in a despicable pod.

@TrueKireiPriest - A laughably bad caricature of a laughably bad character. All the more amusing was his baseless accusation of me being a troll in his recent interview. Nice try, but projection isn’t exactly a convincing argument especially when you have zero proof. Do us all a favor and disappear. The fact that such a blasphemous cretin like you have "Priest" in your name is an illogical error of the highest order.

@Z-Dante - In some ways, I find this man even more detestable than OneTrueEmiya considering his relentless stalking of my profile and his attempts to “court” me. Consensual relations are not to be made light of, you sick degenerate troll. Besides, the only reason someone would add a "Z" to their name is to prove they can fully recite the alphabet.

@Illyricus - One of the few Baiters who managed to survive the strengthening moderation. Although he acts deceivingly innocent, Illyricus is prone to entering a state of unrestrained trolling whenever united with his companions. Much like his friends, he sympathizes with rapists of Matou Shinji’s ilk while casually harassing me on numerous occasions. To turn a blind eye towards his perversion is like digging your face into the sand during a rattlesnake encounter.

@IpreferEcchi - I have no idea where to begin with this misogynistic nitwit. Using forum sets that parade women like cattle is one thing, but to announce you fetishes to everyone on MAL like it’s something to be proud of breaches the edge of sanity. Your profile violates every fiber of my being; I do hope stricter regulations regarding the display of NSFW images on this site will be introduced thanks to your deviant nature.

@Shinjisus - I still have my suspicions regarding whether or not he is an alt of Emiya’s, but even disregarding that, his worship of Shinji and blatant baiting attempts towards me make him an extremely pitiful person.

@SodiumChloride - His exceeding hatred for Sakura is something I simply cannot comprehend. His forceful way of sticking his misguided opinion onto me, combined with the gall to make a joke about my virginity, truly highlights how much of a disgusting pig he was. Exceedingly glad to know he has been inactive.

@Gensan - My sources indicate he was responsible for the myriad of bait memes corrupting the forums a couple of years back. Anyone with half a brain would realize his time would be spent better elsewhere. Then again, what should I expect from a disgusting lolicon who flaunts his attraction to Shinobu so openly?

@Rogue22 - Another inactive baiter, another sigh of relief.

@Hoopla123 - A rather uneventful “shitposter” possessing harmful views regarding fiction and reality. His echo chamber known as the “Kiseki Series Fanclub” is a well-documented breeding ground for trolls who only wish to attack me. I adore the Kiseki saga for its strong-willed female cast, but healthy discussion of this series should instead be done on the Falcom subreddit.

@JKayW - Claims to like Sakura, though obviously for all the wrong reasons. JKay’s sole skill is producing thinly-veiled bait threads promoting “discussion” that gradually crash and burn into low-effort shitposting and spam. Such a skill is reserved for only deep web deplorables.

@LonNoL - Yet another shitposter who couldn’t form a coherent thought to save his life. Your trap threads were low-quality baits that can be spotted from a mile away.

@EndlessWitch - Claiming to agree with me under the guise of sarcasm does not make you funny. Thankfully, I had the incentive to block you before further damage was done.

@Zanzegan - Dedicating an account to a sick misanthrope like Zouken does not make you funny either.

Keragaming - A Shingeki no Kyojin apologist to the core. You can systematically point out flaws in its narrative ad nauseum and he will still perform whatever level of mental gymnastics necessary to defend Isayama’s oh-so sacred work. Just nothing short of laughable.

@RainyRai - His stubborn insistence of his “superior taste” is clearly indicative of his manchild personality. Your days as a troll may be numbered, but I shall never forget your history as a despicable shitposter.

@--ALEX— - Highly likely a member of MRA considering how openly hostile he became when I spoke out against rampant female objectification in anime. He clings to weak arguments such as “fiction =/= reality” as an evasion tactic, as it is clear he cannot handle anyone infringing upon the series that play into his sick fetishes. A clear-cut example of a MAL user I am wholly against.

@astroprogs - I find his elitism rather pathetic given he has driven away well-meaning people such as Fai from his FGO club here on MAL.

@AltoRoark - Often accuses me of committing fallacies, yet he never bothers to address my arguments. Rather than rebuke them, he simply wishes to silence any of my stances which go against his beloved anime.

You - Undoubtedly one of the most hypocritical users on MAL. He made several attempts to bait me (most notably the topic entitled “I really don't understand the hate on moe,” which became a breeding ground for the Baiters), yet he cried foul when I decried Shiza in my club for his antics. Virtue-signalling to the moderators doesn’t absolve you from your blatant trolling. Word has it that you have been permanently banned, so good riddance.

@Clebardman - Another user who made absolutely zero effort to understand my positions; rather, he prefers to assault me with endless strawman attacks. Crafting your arguments upon fallacies will only get you so far, I’m afraid.

@Comic_Sans - Cannot form a coherent argument in the slightest given all she ever resorts to is derailing the topic at hand and blatant ad-hominems. I'm honestly surprised your annoying presence on MAL is still tolerated by the staff team.

EcchiGodMamsterP - Once a ludicrous shitposter known for shamelessly exhibiting his vulgar hobbies, Mamster is thankfully no longer active because of reasons unknown. The retirement of this sullied individual is truly a blessing I will forever cherish. I pray for the day he will see women for what they truly are, although such wishful thinking would be less chanceful than the dinosaurs returning.

ecchiharemgeek - Though I have only encountered him recently, he gives off the same callously sarcastic vibe the Baiters once did. Even worse, he glorifies disgusting genres such as ecchi and harem in his username, which I find sophomoric to say the least. Banning him from my club felt nothing short of euphoric.

Zachhh - Another user who has made a horrific fool of himself in my limited interactions with him. His blatant hostility towards me led him to go by the “Anti-CherryLover” handle. While I applaud him for being creative in his approach, his mindset displays the clear bigoted sentiments held by the community at large. Such a short-tempered individual would be better off signing up for an anger management programme instead of browsing the internet all day long.

Do you miss the Baiters? Now that you archnemesis are gone, don't you feel yourself lonely now that you don't have any adversary able to match your arguments? And what about that member of the Baiters, Z-Dante? The one that wrote you that beautiful haiku? Do you still remember him? He seemed to love you very much, so you may as well remind him in one way or another?
from @Illyricus

While this is an unsurprising question from Illyricus, it does not make me any less disappointed. I have made my feelings clear that you lot are, more than anyone else, the biggest source of my frustrations and grief on this site. Harassment is not a laughing matter, yet I was subjected to that the very moment I decided to show my support for Sakura back in 2015. How would you feel if you were subjected to such callous treatment and made a laughing stock by a group of people in the very same fandom you are associated with? Because of the incessant mockery by you and your ilk, I cannot interact as freely and innocently as I once did. I hope you are all proud of yourselves. So NO, I do not feel lonely; rather, it is as if I have been liberated from my abusers at long last.

As for Z-Dante, I have previously stated that I find his attempts to force himself on me to be both repugnant and indicative of a toxic patriarchal culture. Even if his comments were made in jest, it further illustrates my point that you lot lack the empathy and social skills to have an actual civil interaction without trying to goad a reaction out of someone. And if that isn’t pathetic, then I don’t know what is.

Why is Tamamo no Mae also in your favorite, do you like her just because she's a slut like Sakura?
from Anonymous

My interviewer refused to disclose the identity of the individual who asked this question, but let me just say this: no doubt you think this is funny, laughing at someone from behind the safety of your computer screen. You are a coward, nothing more. No one will remember you. No one will mourn you. This is your legacy.

As for the question itself, I like Tamamo because she is a woman who defied the odds to find her happy ending. She was wrongly accused in an era where she held neither rights nor power, and yet she fought back. I may not enjoy her characterisation overall, but seeing her happy at the end of Fate/Extra roused a feeling of satisfaction within me. I think all Tamamo fans would agree with me that she did deserved that happy ending.

What are your thoughts on right-wing anti-gay propaganda?

It's the right wing. I don't know what you expect me to say here. As someone who supports peace, freedom, and open dialogue without fear of oppression, I stand against everything the right stands for. I have been tested on the Kinsey Scale and my result was 3, so naturally I would be against any propaganda that targets homosexuals. However, even if I am completely heterosexual, I would still be glad to lend my assistance to those being oppressed by the right. After all, we should be united against any form of discrimination. Viva freedom, viva equality!

How does you feel knowing that Scarlett is against the best anime lesbian relationship Akko x Diana? @seidouTZ

I couldn't care less. Next question, if you would be so kind.

Is there something unasked you would like to talk about?

I believe I have adequately described myself and my beliefs, so no.

Any feedback on the interview format?

Though some questions left more to be desired, I felt the interview provided a solid outlet for me to express myself. It was indeed a genuinely fun experience. Again, my thanks to both @Golden_Scarlett and @Skittles for making this possible! ^_^

Can you recommend us three members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

@Ahenshihael - I believe he would make a great interview candidate because of his wealth of knowledge in topics such as narrative writing, progressive ideals, and MAL history in general.

@Shrimperor - I have a love-hate relationship with Shrimperor. Although he is a great real life friend to me, he also acted as “King of Bait” here on MAL and was in a sense the harbinger of all my suffering at the hands of the juvenile “Baiters". Considering this, I believe he would be an extremely entertaining person to interview, as he is willing to expose the likes of OneTrueEmiya and TrueKireiPriest.

@InkSpider - The lack of feminist interviews in this club astounds me, so it would be a crime for me to not suggest InkSpider. She is very articulate in her beliefs, so I definitely think an interview of her would be educational if nothing else.
Mei-o_ScarlettNov 14, 2018 4:50 AM
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 14, 2018 4:46 AM

Oct 2015
reminder, any problem with cherry, take it to her profile, don't argue here
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Nov 14, 2018 4:56 AM

Jul 2009
So uh... it was fun editing this, I guess? This interview was... how do I put it... really something else xD

Thank you for giving me the chance, @Golden_Scarlett and @CherryLover
Nov 14, 2018 5:07 AM

Aug 2014
Waow. Didn't expect to be receiving any compliments here. Glad to hear ^^"

Can't say I agree with you on the things you stand for, but that's fine. I do wish you'd stop taking the bait all the time =__=
I feel like this interview is just a giant joke in all honesty. You're answering questions from people you dislike that are very clearly just bait to you, yet you still take it. Makes me wonder if you like getting baited or if you're just one of them.

Nov 14, 2018 5:47 AM

Mar 2014
@Cherrylover Love you too bby ;)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 14, 2018 8:12 AM

May 2015
I did not expect to see this in my MAL notifications this morning, I almost forgot any of this shit happened. fuckin hell it's been so long in my babby lifetime that I'm an unironic feminist now.

cherry I graduated from middle school and instead of toxic I'm bargain bin toxic let's be friends now kthx.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 14, 2018 8:18 AM

Dec 2015
Skittles said:
So uh... it was fun editing this, I guess? This interview was... how do I put it... really something else xD

Thank you for giving me the chance, @Golden_Scarlett and @CherryLover

On the contrary, I should be thanking you, Skittles! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to go through this and am glad to hear it wasn't too much of a hassle. ^^

Ardanaz said:

Can't say I agree with you on the things you stand for, but that's fine. I do wish you'd stop taking the bait all the time =__=
I feel like this interview is just a giant joke in all honesty. You're answering questions from people you dislike that are very clearly just bait to you, yet you still take it. Makes me wonder if you like getting baited or if you're just one of them.

It really hurts to see you call this a joke, Ardanaz... I used this interview as a means to express my genuine feelings, both the positive and negative. And I genuinely mean it when I said I appreciated all the work you have done. It is thanks to the mod team that trolls have been gradually weeded out, which has been an extreme relief for my conscience. I do not want to burden you any further, so going forward, I will do my utmost to ensure I don't get too worked up. >.>

Comic_Sans said:
@Cherrylover Love you too bby ;)

I had hoped you would provide an actual witty comment for once, but you give me the typical uncouth response. Can't say I surprised.

RainyRai said:
I did not expect to see this in my MAL notifications this morning, I almost forgot any of this shit happened. fuckin hell it's been so long in my babby lifetime that I'm an unironic feminist now.

cherry I graduated from middle school and instead of toxic I'm bargain bin toxic let's be friends now kthx.

I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you are being genuine here, but given my experiences with you, this post reeks of sarcasm. And not in a good way either.
CherryLoverNov 14, 2018 8:22 AM
Nov 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Apr 2016
Oh come on now.
Nov 14, 2018 8:38 AM

May 2015
CherryLover said:

RainyRai said:

I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you are being genuine here, but given my experiences with you, this post reeks of sarcasm. And not in a good way either.

That's entirely reasonable honestly. I am actually sorry though and I do regret how I acted in the past, though really it's a lot because of age because I was a young toxic dumbass and now I'm a slightly younger much less toxic dumbass, at least imo. Can't just shift the blame on age tho, I just like to think I'm a better person now.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 14, 2018 11:26 AM

Oct 2014
*gets a Notification*

O:

Long time no see @CherryLover ! How's life been treating you, my dear Friend? I hope everything is going well ;)

It's good to see you again, even it's with a small jab at my past :D

Good to have another Sakura defender back on site *high fives*
Nov 14, 2018 11:58 AM

Dec 2015
RainyRai said:
CherryLover said:

That's entirely reasonable honestly. I am actually sorry though and I do regret how I acted in the past, though really it's a lot because of age because I was a young toxic dumbass and now I'm a slightly younger much less toxic dumbass, at least imo. Can't just shift the blame on age tho, I just like to think I'm a better person now.

That's refreshing to hear then. It seems I was wrong to assume that you were being sarcastic, I appreciate the apology. ^^

Shrimperor said:
*gets a Notification*

O:

Long time no see @CherryLover ! How's life been treating you, my dear Friend? I hope everything is going well ;)

It's good to see you again, even it's with a small jab at my past :D

Good to have another Sakura defender back on site *high fives*

Though I've been rather busy, I can gladly say life has been treating me well for the most part. I am glad to see you are still hanging in there yourself and at long last not surrounded by those despicable trolls. Looking forward towards discussing HF further with you; I am quite pleased to see the direction of Sakura's portrayal thus far.
Nov 14, 2018 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
CherryLover said:

Though I've been rather busy, I can gladly say life has been treating me well for the most part. I am glad to see you are still hanging in there yourself and at long last not surrounded by those despicable trolls. Looking forward towards discussing HF further with you; I am quite pleased to see the direction of Sakura's portrayal thus far.

If you are ever in my Area doing the showing of the 2nd movie, gimme a call and let's go watch it together ;)
Nov 14, 2018 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
It's interesting to me that you knew these people in the Fate fandom were baiting/trolls but took up arms purposefully against them. You know you feed them when you fight them earnestly like that. Someone with your academics should know what battles are worth it and those that are not. There is nothing wrong with healthy debate but when you have strong opinions and a tendency to, what feels like, look down on people who don't view the world the same way, it can breed the toxic environment you seem to dislike yourself. Common ground isn't found when you live on either end of the spectrum.

I don't think you're a bad person, if this interview is meant to fix people's impressions though... I really struggle reading through this, you seem like there is a lot hatred aimed at the community for the actions of a minority. I am part of a lot of fanbases and they all have great people and terrible people. Sadly the vocal minority tend to outshine the majority that just want to enjoy their entertainment and talk about it with others.
Nov 14, 2018 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
CherryLover said:
I had hoped you would provide an actual witty comment for once, but you give me the typical uncouth response. Can't say I surprised.
Honey, why are you breaking my heart?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 18, 2018 8:53 AM

Apr 2017
well damn at least you have the juevos to tag people you hate, rarely see that

but honestly you're really giving us progressives a bad rep, i've never seen anyone on the right give an interview this negative
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Nov 19, 2018 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
As the list of disliked people grew longer and longer, my smile grew wider and wider. Less so because I also dislike them (I don't recognize at least half), more so because it was just unexpected. RIP @Comic_Sans .

@CherryLover Any thoughts on https://www.animefeminist.com/?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 19, 2018 8:35 PM

Dec 2015
Shrimperor said:
CherryLover said:

If you are ever in my Area doing the showing of the 2nd movie, gimme a call and let's go watch it together ;)

Perhaps I will have to take you up on that offer considering the lack of showings here in the UK... >_>

Drobie said:
It's interesting to me that you knew these people in the Fate fandom were baiting/trolls but took up arms purposefully against them. You know you feed them when you fight them earnestly like that. Someone with your academics should know what battles are worth it and those that are not. There is nothing wrong with healthy debate but when you have strong opinions and a tendency to, what feels like, look down on people who don't view the world the same way, it can breed the toxic environment you seem to dislike yourself. Common ground isn't found when you live on either end of the spectrum.

While I was aware of certain trolls in the Fate subforum, the "Baiters" were a group that took me completely by surprise, as I carefully laid out here in my interview. I do believe you are right to some degree, as these are battles that simply cannot be won, but it irks me to allow myself to be silenced in the face of such opposition. I doubtlessly will never change their bigoted mindset, but if I can utterly destroy their arguments for everyone to see here on a public forum, I believe it will encourage others to see things from a progressive perspective.

Drobie said:
I don't think you're a bad person, if this interview is meant to fix people's impressions though... I really struggle reading through this, you seem like there is a lot hatred aimed at the community for the actions of a minority. I am part of a lot of fanbases and they all have great people and terrible people. Sadly the vocal minority tend to outshine the majority that just want to enjoy their entertainment and talk about it with others.

Again, it is precisely for the silent majority I plead my case. Feminist arguments are often simply dismissed due to people not taking the proper time to understand their arguments, instead clinging to the buzzwords espoused by the so-called "skeptic community" and the dens of trolls that follow them. I'd like to believe that the majority of anime fans are rational and open-minded enough to hear me out despite by horrific experiences on this forum.

Aster- said:
well damn at least you have the juevos to tag people you hate, rarely see that

but honestly you're really giving us progressives a bad rep, i've never seen anyone on the right give an interview this negative

I am merely calling it out how I see it. I am sure there are those who have had better experiences of course, but when one is constantly pelted with insults and baiting-attempts, they would naturally begin to grow jaded and hostile.

My experience hasn't been completely negative, however. I have met truly kind and rational people on this site, and I apologize if I didn't express that well-enough. Going forward, I am optimistic that the anime community will change for the better.

Josh said:
As the list of disliked people grew longer and longer, my smile grew wider and wider. Less so because I also dislike them (I don't recognize at least half), more so because it was just unexpected. RIP @Comic_Sans .

@CherryLover Any thoughts on https://www.animefeminist.com/?

Actually, I feel it is a crime I forgot to mention you. In the moe threads I mentioned, you raised very good points that helped bolster our criticism of moe. You articulated the issues with a level-headedness I appreciated greatly, so I'd like to thank you. ^_^

The piece on Fruits Basket on that website was particularly well-done, so I'd have to say it seems to be a reputable hub for feminist ideas. Thank you for sharing, I will definitely look into more of their work.
Nov 19, 2018 9:15 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Thats one huge goldmine of salt. Why must you have strong hatred for people you’ll most likely never meet in real life?
Nov 20, 2018 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
CherryLover said:

Drobie said:

While I was aware of certain trolls in the Fate subforum, the "Baiters" were a group that took me completely by surprise, as I carefully laid out here in my interview. I do believe you are right to some degree, as these are battles that simply cannot be won, but it irks me to allow myself to be silenced in the face of such opposition. I doubtlessly will never change their bigoted mindset, but if I can utterly destroy their arguments for everyone to see here on a public forum, I believe it will encourage others to see things from a progressive perspective.

Drobie said:

Again, it is precisely for the silent majority I plead my case. Feminist arguments are often simply dismissed due to people not taking the proper time to understand their arguments, instead clinging to the buzzwords espoused by the so-called "skeptic community" and the dens of trolls that follow them. I'd like to believe that the majority of anime fans are rational and open-minded enough to hear me out despite by horrific experiences on this forum.
I think you diminish the worth of your words by targeting and playing around with those that likely don't value their words as much as you value your own. You continue to let them play a role even in this interview, as Ardanaz pointed out.
Nov 20, 2018 9:37 PM

Jul 2015
Yo, she a G for listing the users she disliked, rest of y'all need to step up
Nov 20, 2018 9:43 PM

Jul 2015
Yo, please make her a forum mod someday, I wanna see weebs melt
Nov 23, 2018 12:19 PM

Feb 2015
Ardanaz said:

This made me think for a lifetime...

Mhhh
Nov 24, 2018 4:02 AM

Sep 2018
I'm honoured to be seen in a positive light by Cherry-sama, even if it is on an old account.
Jan 16, 2019 5:03 AM
Oct 2018
@Cherrylover, your accomplishments and accreditations in Gender Studies as a 23 year old woman is incredible and honestly inspiring!
Jan 21, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2019
"I have written and published two papers regarding misogyny in the twenty-first century."

Cite yer shit.
Feb 18, 2019 9:46 PM

Feb 2019
Complains about fallacies and strawmen against her, yet uses them in her interview. Such hypocrisy is unbecoming of a Cambridge graduate.

'twas an entertaining read nevertheless.
Aug 14, 2020 2:48 PM

Dec 2014
Mei-o_Scarlett said:

@TrueKireiPriest - A laughably bad caricature of a laughably bad character. All the more amusing was his baseless accusation of me being a troll in his recent interview. Nice try, but projection isn’t exactly a convincing argument especially when you have zero proof. Do us all a favor and disappear. The fact that such a blasphemous cretin like you have "Priest" in your name is an illogical error of the highest order.

My goodness, how I wish I was here when this was posted!!
You are fortunate that I was not present to serve you the embarrassing truth. However, since you had made this in my absence, allow me to indulge myself during yours.

To start with, yes, you are an alt of OneTrueEmiya, Shiza, Shrimperor, Gensan, Gholy, and probably others that I forget now. Do not force me to dig up proof of this.

But just to be clear, it is not that @CherryLover was an alt which I find contemptible; such a method is common enough. What is quite pathetic is the amount of pride you all take in her "success" at trolling, even though the only reason she gained any reputation at all was because you had her "arguing" with your other accounts. Yes, the only successful way you were able to gain any notoriety was by the group of you arguing with each other in some sad pretend theater.

What is my proof of this? The best possible: it was revealed by @Illyricus in his interview without even knowing it! He gave his own damning impressions of your trick without even knowing it:
Illyricus said:
Apart from people who disliked the movement because the derailing of threads, soon we also had the ultimate feminist, the bane of all men and trolls, and protector and wife of Sakura Matou, CherryLover, against us - mostly due the provocations that Emiya and Shrimp usually focused towards her.

That is how we got truly sad threads like these where all of you were essentially arguing with yourselves.

THAT is why I hold you all of this in such contempt. I have never relied on alts or other users "in the know" to puff myself up. The only true way to troll is using your own wits. You do not become "omg such good troll" by recruiting your friends to give you charity. That is not trolling, that is trash.
What's funny is that some of you - particularly OneTrueEmiya - likely do not wish to distance yourself from this disgrace, but instead embrace it. That is truly hilarious! Ultimate yuetsu indeed!

Ardanaz said:

Lord Nakata in heaven, even ARDANAZ was able to sense something was off! ARDANAZ! My poor sides cannot take this much laughter.

Ardanaz, my friend, I owe you something of an apology. You are not the complete fool I took you for.
I am the Priest of my church
Yuetsu is my body, and wine is my blood
I have trolled over a thousand users
Unknown to sympathy, nor known to apathy
Withstood Shirou to eat Mapo Tofu
Yet, my question will never be answered
So as I rejoice, Unlimited Kirei Works!
Apr 13, 2021 1:23 AM

Apr 2015
And I’d still move to UK to potentially propose to this wormy wife.

I miss these days so much...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations V2 ( 1 2 )

Skittles - Nov 21, 2021

64 by Dapper_Dhampir14 »»
Sep 2, 2023 6:01 PM

» Interview 24 - Kineta

Daconator - Jun 10, 2015

15 by cornonacob »»
Aug 5, 2023 3:36 PM

» Interview #267 - lpf

spaceslut - Mar 28, 2023

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Mar 29, 2023 9:30 AM

» Interview #254 - IrrelevantGuy

NextUniverse - Apr 9, 2022

8 by IrrelevantGuy »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:30 AM

» Interview #200 - Shinah

Mimurona - Oct 13, 2019

10 by Shinah »»
Mar 9, 2023 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.