Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jul 21, 12:03 PM
guess it's just you. y'know, if the author hated trans people he wouldn't create a trans character.

Jul 27, 6:01 AM

He isn't even trans, he's just crossdresing to take over the school.

Jul 29, 5:41 AM

Yes, it's just you, now go back to sjwland.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 11, 1:45 AM
tittycommittee said:
I'm on episode 10 currently, and I can't help being annoyed by all the jokes about Aozora, more particularly, her gender and the general portrayal of her as a trans character. Can't help but see it as anything but transphobic. Curious to see what others think of this! (Please no trap jokes, it's not necessary or funny)

It's just you dirty gaijin. Go 9/11 yourself

Sep 18, 11:58 AM

What is with all these replies?
Transphobia is not to be acknowledged???

Sep 19, 1:53 AM

It's just you. There's no such thing as transphobia.

Sep 22, 12:04 AM

It didn't come off as transphobic to me, Aozora seems more like a cross-dresser.

Sep 22, 9:00 AM

That's why I'm starting to love anime even more now, they don't bow down to any sort of snowflakes and they don't try to make everything political.

When I read this pathetic post's title I thought you were going to whine about the Maeda scene when he crossdresses and Kasumi calls him a filthy pervert. That one is spicier, guess it went right under your "ImSoOffended" radar.

Sep 23, 4:39 PM

Wow so many rude people. So i guess this is how people in mal are. When you don't agree with something there are better ways to convey your opinion.

Sep 23, 8:23 PM

Some of these replies are fucking hilarious but I do feel kind of bad for OP.

Look, OP. Stop using buzzwords.

What is "transphobic"? If you think that anytime a trans person is used as a butt of a joke, that is "transphobic" then the word has no meaning. Because it's OK to laugh at people. No group should have any special place. People get picked on, in perfectly friendly, not bullying ways, sometimes, for things that make them stand out. It's only offensive if you take it that way.

Sure, there is serious discrimnation against trans people in the world. But that is a million miles away (literally and figuratively, Japan has long been a very gender-bending society) from this anime.

All you're achieving with this post is riling people up by seeming to attack something they like. And their responses probably got you riled up too, I bet, no? Fix your persepctive, and please stop using meaningless buzzwords.
Lastest Blog Post: Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Girl: Anna Fugo (Granbelm)
Watching: 3ep-ruling potential weeklies
Reading: Axanael (VN)
Recently Finished: HenSuki (3), Takagi-san 2 (7), Machikado Mazoku (5), Stargazer (8), Kanata no Astra (7), High Score Girl: Extra Stage (8), UchiMusume (6), Granbelm (9)

Complicate Your Life With Violence

Sep 24, 5:18 AM

YossaRedMage said:

What is "transphobic"? If you think that anytime a trans person is used as a butt of a joke, that is "transphobic" then the word has no meaning. Because it's OK to laugh at people. No group should have any special place. People get picked on, in perfectly friendly, not bullying ways, sometimes, for things that make them stand out. It's only offensive if you take it that way.

"In perfectly friendly, not bullying ways" holy shit Yossa, please think twice before saying fucked up stuff trying to sound woke.

Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people. What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them by using a stereotype that has long been related to trans exclusion, and is still fairly common even in real life (like, "they hide a penis and are ready to sexually assault me" is pure TERF reasoning).

If you want to discuss whether this show is at its core transphobic or not, or if the jokes are intended to be, we can speculate about the author's intent which we don't really know. Do that instead of trying to defend stereotypically negative portrayals of collectives on the basis that it's all friendly and in good faith because you just decided it is.

Sep 24, 5:53 AM

jal90 said:
YossaRedMage said:

"In perfectly friendly, not bullying ways" holy shit Yossa, please think twice before saying fucked up stuff trying to sound woke.

Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people. What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them by using a stereotype that has long been related to trans exclusion, and is still fairly common even in real life (like, "they hide a penis and are ready to sexually assault me" is pure TERF reasoning).

If you want to discuss whether this show is at its core transphobic or not, or if the jokes are intended to be, we can speculate about the author's intent which we don't really know. Do that instead of trying to defend stereotypically negative portrayals of collectives on the basis that it's all friendly and in good faith because you just decided it is.

I think we have different definitions of "woke" because I don't think I was "trying to sound woke". I wasn't trying to sound anything. I was giving an honest assessment of the situation.

Color me surprised that you of all people would be the one to reply with indignation at the idea that maybe people are being too easily offended and need to take themselves less seriously. I'll leave it there for the ad hominins but honestly you fit the mold of the perpetually offended who reply to even reasonable criticism by doubling down on your offence-taking. It's a sad way to interact with the world.

Ok this is tricky to unpack, and I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time with you because you'll just twist my words again, but what the hell here we go.

"Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people."

Including me. If someone thinks a show is being "transphobic" (what this thread is literally about) then they are suggesting it is in some way, without or without intent, acting as a (somewhat light) form of bullying. Again, I ask the question, what does "transphobic" mean? Because I get the impression you and OP consider it to mean any situation where a trans person is made fun of (which is a light form of bullying). Intent is irrelevant. When people use the phrase "transphovic" it carries weight. It implies a type of bullying. If you want it to not carry that weight. If you want the word to mean so little that it becomes a pointless word, then by all means keep using it for light friendly teasing, which is what it is in this show. The character is made out to sympathetic. We are meant to like them. It's murky but there's a definite distinction here.

"What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them..."

So they feel bullied, right? Perhaps understandable, given it's tough to be trans in society and they must feel constantly discriminated against. I'm not unsympathetic to that. I know the statistics around trans suicide rates.

However, I do not believe treating them different from other people, particularly in art, is the right way to go about it. If a someone can tease their friend about say, his height, in an anime, we think nothing of it. But if a trans person is teased, it's different? I get the reasoning, but it's dumb. The answer to inequality isn't inequality in the other direction.
Lastest Blog Post: Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Girl: Anna Fugo (Granbelm)
Watching: 3ep-ruling potential weeklies
Reading: Axanael (VN)
Recently Finished: HenSuki (3), Takagi-san 2 (7), Machikado Mazoku (5), Stargazer (8), Kanata no Astra (7), High Score Girl: Extra Stage (8), UchiMusume (6), Granbelm (9)

Complicate Your Life With Violence

Sep 24, 5:55 AM

Really?! This anime is great then!

Sep 24, 7:33 AM

@YossaRedMage No Yossa, it can be transphobic while not being actively attempting to bully. You can be racist while not being actively attempting to harm other races. And in the context of a fiction and comedy, it is obviously not something that is actively targeted against the group and it's not something that means harm. With that much everybody here agrees. You are the one coming here to say that "transphobic" implies "bullying". We all know what bullying is and it's certainly not "showing hatred, fear, discomfort or harboring negative feelings towards a collective", it's a whole different thing. If you step further and then come back to say that my use of the word is pointless, that is really on you.

On the other hand, I will not tell you what kind of stereotype you fit in because I don't want to end this discussion with pointless namecalling, and I suggest you to not do so. But certainly observing a joke that portrays negative stereotypes in either "they intended to harm and be mean" or "they were just cool and friendly" is a very limited reasoning and doesn't take into account that, in fact, the comedy of Asobi Asobase may just be socially and culturally insensitive, and that means that trans people get a negative portrayal that is not accurately weighed by the show's intent to make its audience laugh at the trope. If you read the thread you find that calling these jokes transphobic does not even mean that the author is. Perhaps the author isn't, as said before, it may even be a trans person because I think we don't know anything about their gender.

And I'm glad that you are aware of the issues of trans people in real life, but honestly I think that observing fiction and comedy in such a separate layer from reality is too convenient. Asobi Asobase wasn't made in a vacuum, it was made observing, interpreting and inserting ideas and thoughts about elements of reality. So if you want we can try to speculate about the intent of the mangaka. Do you find Aozora a sympathetic character? Cool. I'm quite mixed about that myself, most of the time the character is just observed as that foreign stalking force, like a threat, and the couple times she is highlighted more we don't really get to know her emotionally. Maybe that is more than enough for a character in a gag show, but I don't really find any traceable sympathy towards the character. Maybe you did.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]