Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 21, 2019 12:03 PM
Aug 2018
guess it's just you. y'know, if the author hated trans people he wouldn't create a trans character.
Jul 27, 2019 6:01 AM

Dec 2009
He isn't even trans, he's just crossdresing to take over the school.
Jul 29, 2019 5:41 AM

Nov 2013
Yes, it's just you, now go back to sjwland.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 18, 2019 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
What is with all these replies?
Transphobia is not to be acknowledged???
Sep 22, 2019 12:04 AM

Nov 2018
It didn't come off as transphobic to me, Aozora seems more like a cross-dresser.
Sep 22, 2019 9:00 AM

Aug 2019
That's why I'm starting to love anime even more now, they don't bow down to any sort of snowflakes and they don't try to make everything political.

When I read this pathetic post's title I thought you were going to whine about the Maeda scene when he crossdresses and Kasumi calls him a filthy pervert. That one is spicier, guess it went right under your "ImSoOffended" radar.
Sep 23, 2019 4:39 PM

Apr 2015
Wow so many rude people. So i guess this is how people in mal are. When you don't agree with something there are better ways to convey your opinion.
Sep 23, 2019 8:23 PM

Oct 2017
Some of these replies are fucking hilarious but I do feel kind of bad for OP.

Look, OP. Stop using buzzwords.

What is "transphobic"? If you think that anytime a trans person is used as a butt of a joke, that is "transphobic" then the word has no meaning. Because it's OK to laugh at people. No group should have any special place. People get picked on, in perfectly friendly, not bullying ways, sometimes, for things that make them stand out. It's only offensive if you take it that way.

Sure, there is serious discrimnation against trans people in the world. But that is a million miles away (literally and figuratively, Japan has long been a very gender-bending society) from this anime.

All you're achieving with this post is riling people up by seeming to attack something they like. And their responses probably got you riled up too, I bet, no? Fix your persepctive, and please stop using meaningless buzzwords.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 24, 2019 5:18 AM

Oct 2010
YossaRedMage said:

What is "transphobic"? If you think that anytime a trans person is used as a butt of a joke, that is "transphobic" then the word has no meaning. Because it's OK to laugh at people. No group should have any special place. People get picked on, in perfectly friendly, not bullying ways, sometimes, for things that make them stand out. It's only offensive if you take it that way.

"In perfectly friendly, not bullying ways" holy shit Yossa, please think twice before saying fucked up stuff trying to sound woke.

Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people. What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them by using a stereotype that has long been related to trans exclusion, and is still fairly common even in real life (like, "they hide a penis and are ready to sexually assault me" is pure TERF reasoning).

If you want to discuss whether this show is at its core transphobic or not, or if the jokes are intended to be, we can speculate about the author's intent which we don't really know. Do that instead of trying to defend stereotypically negative portrayals of collectives on the basis that it's all friendly and in good faith because you just decided it is.
Sep 24, 2019 5:53 AM

Oct 2017
jal90 said:
YossaRedMage said:

"In perfectly friendly, not bullying ways" holy shit Yossa, please think twice before saying fucked up stuff trying to sound woke.

Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people. What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them by using a stereotype that has long been related to trans exclusion, and is still fairly common even in real life (like, "they hide a penis and are ready to sexually assault me" is pure TERF reasoning).

If you want to discuss whether this show is at its core transphobic or not, or if the jokes are intended to be, we can speculate about the author's intent which we don't really know. Do that instead of trying to defend stereotypically negative portrayals of collectives on the basis that it's all friendly and in good faith because you just decided it is.

I think we have different definitions of "woke" because I don't think I was "trying to sound woke". I wasn't trying to sound anything. I was giving an honest assessment of the situation.

Color me surprised that you of all people would be the one to reply with indignation at the idea that maybe people are being too easily offended and need to take themselves less seriously. I'll leave it there for the ad hominins but honestly you fit the mold of the perpetually offended who reply to even reasonable criticism by doubling down on your offence-taking. It's a sad way to interact with the world.

Ok this is tricky to unpack, and I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time with you because you'll just twist my words again, but what the hell here we go.

"Nobody in this thread was ever saying that the show intended to bully trans people."

Including me. If someone thinks a show is being "transphobic" (what this thread is literally about) then they are suggesting it is in some way, without or without intent, acting as a (somewhat light) form of bullying. Again, I ask the question, what does "transphobic" mean? Because I get the impression you and OP consider it to mean any situation where a trans person is made fun of (which is a light form of bullying). Intent is irrelevant. When people use the phrase "transphovic" it carries weight. It implies a type of bullying. If you want it to not carry that weight. If you want the word to mean so little that it becomes a pointless word, then by all means keep using it for light friendly teasing, which is what it is in this show. The character is made out to sympathetic. We are meant to like them. It's murky but there's a definite distinction here.

"What we are saying is that it mocks and can offend them..."

So they feel bullied, right? Perhaps understandable, given it's tough to be trans in society and they must feel constantly discriminated against. I'm not unsympathetic to that. I know the statistics around trans suicide rates.

However, I do not believe treating them different from other people, particularly in art, is the right way to go about it. If a someone can tease their friend about say, his height, in an anime, we think nothing of it. But if a trans person is teased, it's different? I get the reasoning, but it's dumb. The answer to inequality isn't inequality in the other direction.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 24, 2019 5:55 AM

Nov 2017
Really?! This anime is great then!
Sep 24, 2019 7:33 AM

Oct 2010
@YossaRedMage No Yossa, it can be transphobic while not being actively attempting to bully. You can be racist while not being actively attempting to harm other races. And in the context of a fiction and comedy, it is obviously not something that is actively targeted against the group and it's not something that means harm. With that much everybody here agrees. You are the one coming here to say that "transphobic" implies "bullying". We all know what bullying is and it's certainly not "showing hatred, fear, discomfort or harboring negative feelings towards a collective", it's a whole different thing. If you step further and then come back to say that my use of the word is pointless, that is really on you.

On the other hand, I will not tell you what kind of stereotype you fit in because I don't want to end this discussion with pointless namecalling, and I suggest you to not do so. But certainly observing a joke that portrays negative stereotypes in either "they intended to harm and be mean" or "they were just cool and friendly" is a very limited reasoning and doesn't take into account that, in fact, the comedy of Asobi Asobase may just be socially and culturally insensitive, and that means that trans people get a negative portrayal that is not accurately weighed by the show's intent to make its audience laugh at the trope. If you read the thread you find that calling these jokes transphobic does not even mean that the author is. Perhaps the author isn't, as said before, it may even be a trans person because I think we don't know anything about their gender.

And I'm glad that you are aware of the issues of trans people in real life, but honestly I think that observing fiction and comedy in such a separate layer from reality is too convenient. Asobi Asobase wasn't made in a vacuum, it was made observing, interpreting and inserting ideas and thoughts about elements of reality. So if you want we can try to speculate about the intent of the mangaka. Do you find Aozora a sympathetic character? Cool. I'm quite mixed about that myself, most of the time the character is just observed as that foreign stalking force, like a threat, and the couple times she is highlighted more we don't really get to know her emotionally. Maybe that is more than enough for a character in a gag show, but I don't really find any traceable sympathy towards the character. Maybe you did.
Jan 2, 2020 7:48 AM

Feb 2014
Both the anime and manga are labelled as blue comedy, it is supposed to be indelicate in several topics, however the "transphobia" just triggered you because it is maybe a topic you have a particular interest. Some other indelicate topics are: the teacher tasting Olivia's "piss"; the "Lord of Pastimers" is a gyaru, smart, but hinted as interested in sex; robot Olivia proficient English curses and talks about having "lots of sex"; Kasumi's body being oversexualised; Olivia's brother being a fat American; to name a few just on the anime - and I particularly don't care at all.

That's comedy, if you don't have the stomach for it, don't watch, but don't be a party popper for people that enjoy this anime/manga, go watch something else. BTW just remember, there is probably something that you think is funny that someone else will be offended, that's comedy and that's life, you can't please everyone.
Feb 8, 2020 9:06 AM
Aug 2018
Yes it's transphobic and YES IT'S BAD, it's not right, it's not funny, it just ... "easy" make fun about people like her and it's not cool. You can be funny and not insult anyone. I like the show but this anoying me.
Apr 8, 2020 5:16 AM

Sep 2017
Anime vs Snowflakes will always be a funny thing to watch

If you feel personally attacked by the jokes made towards Aozora, then you need to seriously work on yourself

Apparently, laughing at things people can't change about themselves is something really bad
Ok, but then, why don't noone gets triggered when Olivia is mocked for her strong body odors ?
When Kasumi struggles in her clothes due to her breasts size ?
When a baby assaults the three girls ?
When they show sex dolls ?
When they depict a girl with heavy makeup as a monstruosity ?
When Olivia's brother has clearly immoral views towards young teens ?

If you're only complaining about "transphobia" in this anime but not this kind of scenes, then you're just hypocritical, selfish and self-centered snowflakes brats (alongside being pure morons, of course)
Apr 10, 2020 10:47 AM
Apr 2018
I know this is old...but no, it's just you....
Apr 10, 2020 11:09 AM

May 2013
> Imagine thinking traps are trans

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 10, 2020 8:30 PM
Oct 2017
Okay, but the ambiguity makes me feel uneasy, that is all.
Apr 12, 2020 11:52 PM
Nov 2019
Ummm... It's not transphobic i have studied in an all girl's school too... Just the thought of having someone other than a female among u is soo wild in an all girl's school... if i would have found out that there's someone in the school who's cross-dressing i would have been surprised to death too and i was in high school if a middle school girl would find found out she would have had even stronger reaction not because any hate trans it's just not at all normal or common here in asia and that's it... Those girl's reaction were very close to real life that is atleast asian culture at least i can totally relate...
May 16, 2020 6:08 PM
Mar 2008
Traps aren't trans. So no.
And even if they were it still wouldn't be transphobic. OP just saw an opportunity to feel triggered and latched on to it. Just like it always goes with these types of people.

I want to mention that every trans person I've met in real life have actually been quite nice. Just normal really. On the internet? Not so much.
May 16, 2020 6:25 PM

Oct 2015
Radnitzky1890 said:
Nice how both sides are acting pretty retarded in this thread. Feels great to be a centrist chad this time

As the one year anniversary of this post of yours is drawing closer, I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you of this take you had and hope it's humiliating enough to keep you up at night. It certainly would for me if I was that unapologetic about not having any brain cells.
May 16, 2020 6:46 PM
Mar 2008
Auron_ said:
Radnitzky1890 said:
Nice how both sides are acting pretty retarded in this thread. Feels great to be a centrist chad this time

As the one year anniversary of this post of yours is drawing closer, I'd like to take the opportunity to remind you of this take you had and hope it's humiliating enough to keep you up at night. It certainly would for me if I was that unapologetic about not having any brain cells.

Why? Because some people see politics as a bit more complex as just left and right? Realizing that arguments from all kind of political positions make sense. (Extremists can fuck right off.) And with that realizing that one is actually pretty much in the center? (With a slight sway of course.)

Guess what a "us versus them" thinking is currently the reason why the US is a complete joke.
Extreme left/right politics are absolute cancer.

One quick glance at your profile tells me you're really into watching "Destiny". That really tells me all I need to know about you. You should honestly be the last one telling other people they don't have braincells. You're humiliating yourself more then the guy calling himself a "centrist chad".
May 17, 2020 1:22 AM

Oct 2013
Auron_ said:
Radnitzky1890 said:

Nah, it still feels pretty great to have a brain. Have a good day!
May 17, 2020 7:34 AM

Oct 2015
Kamey said:
Auron_ said:

Why? Because some people see politics as a bit more complex as just left and right? Realizing that arguments from all kind of political positions make sense. (Extremists can fuck right off.) And with that realizing that one is actually pretty much in the center? (With a slight sway of course.)

Have you heard of the "middle ground fallacy" my friend? It's flabbergasting to me that you lot are genuinely believing that in any given argument both sides must've had some point, like lmao how much of an intellectual failure do you have to be to so consistently fence-sit, mistaking lack of convictions as prudence or whatever the fuck you guys are telling one another while you jerk each other off.

Realizing that arguments from all kind of political positions make sense.

Okay fam go and have your ethno-state after having abolished private property. Oh and be extra mindful as to not violate the NAP, wouldn't want the night-watchman state put you in gulags now would we?

You're a joke. The fact that you had to scavenge my profile comments to find something to get back at me is just sad.
May 17, 2020 8:24 AM
Mar 2008
Auron_ said:
Kamey said:

Have you heard of the "middle ground fallacy" my friend? It's flabbergasting to me that you lot are genuinely believing that in any given argument both sides must've had some point, like lmao how much of an intellectual failure do you have to be to so consistently fence-sit, mistaking lack of convictions as prudence or whatever the fuck you guys are telling one another while you jerk each other off.

Okay fam go and have your ethno-state after having abolished private property. Oh and be extra mindful as to not violate the NAP, wouldn't want the night-watchman state put you in gulags now would we?

You're a joke. The fact that you had to scavenge my profile comments to find something to get back at me is just sad.

Just what I expected from you. You americans are really a sad people. I only feel extreme pity towards you. I never said that both positions are "always" right. Learn to read, dude.

"Scavenge". I was one minute on your profile because I couldn't believe you'd like the most shit character from Psycho Pass and Destiny got mentioned in literally the first comment.

"Gulags" and "compulsory acquisition" of property is what happens when you're part of a extreme political society mate. Not when you try to finde a middleground. How blinded are you? Constantly circlejerking about some boogeyman. And as soon as someone doesn't agree with you he's either a "nazi" or a "communist". Fuck off with that shit.
KameyMay 17, 2020 8:36 AM
May 17, 2020 9:07 AM

Oct 2015
Kamey said:
Auron_ said:

Just what I expected from you. You americans are really a sad people. I only feel extreme pity towards you. I never said that both positions are "always" right. Learn to read, dude.

"Scavenge". I was one minute on your profile because I couldn't believe you'd like the most shit character from Psycho Pass and Destiny got mentioned in literally the first comment.

"Gulags" and "compulsory acquisition" of property is what happens when you're part of a extreme political society mate. Not when you try to finde a middleground. How blinded are you? Constantly circlejerking about some boogeyman. And as soon as someone doesn't agree with you he's either a "nazi" or a "communist". Fuck off with that shit.

I love the tacit assumption that if you have actual political stances then you're a low-IQ American pffhahaha grow the fuck up mate.

Okay shit you're not doing this on purpose are you? I trust you're intelligent enough to know what political positions mean, and that extremist positions are also political positions. Now let that sink in for a moment, and look at your statement once again. Dw I'll highlight the relevant part to walk you through this.

Now you could either recollect your thoughts and contemplate on the implications of your words, or you could choose to embarrass yourself further. I mean you are rational agent aren't you, suit yourself.
May 17, 2020 9:30 AM
May 19, 2020 5:34 AM

Apr 2014
Why the hell are there so many bigoted ass-backwards hateful fuckwads in the anime community...
May 20, 2020 2:04 PM

Nov 2016
Aozora is a trap, not a transexual wtf? That western label trash doesn't apply to anime. When did it ever mention that? Go stick to watching your filthy American dramas or whatever the f loves to label people and genders. Lol.
Jul 27, 2020 5:33 PM
Feb 2014
You're gonna need to explain how the show is transphobic. Nobody is scared of Aozura and the show doesn't present Aozura as being scary because she's possibly trans, but because she's devious. In the case of the three main girls, they're just curious as to whether or not Aozura is a boy or not. And even their case, it's just mainly Kasumi who really wants to know. And in Kasumi's case, she was just recently kissed by Aozura and she's also deathly afraid of men, so it's completely understandable as to why she would want to know. Hell, Olivia even gave respect to the guy that was dumped for willing to still go out with Aozura despite him/her saying that they're a guy.

If you're gonna call the show transphobic, you need to actually show how it's transphobic. The only part of the show that could be considered "transphobic" was when the girls were brainstorming who it could possibly be. But that's not transphobia, but stereotyping, and even then, the show poked fun at the girls' stereotyping thoughts by actually having the trans person be Aozura, who was considered the cutest girl at school.
Jul 30, 2020 5:22 PM
Jan 2017
tittycommittee said:
Inuchiyo said:
Stop culturally appropriating Japan OP it's an all-girl's school. If you don't understand Japanese comedy the least u could do is not be culturally insensitive. This medium is obviously not meant for you.

Trans people and Japanese aren't mutually exclusive. Pretending otherwise proves either ignorance or just lack of information. I never claimed to not understand the humor, just questioned whether or not it was harmful to trans people. (Spoiler alert, it is)

Also, I think its ridiculous to claim a medium isn't for me because I critisize it.

I always find this so stupid. Harmful to trans people? How are trans people harmed by this? Are all trans people made of porcelain? Are they all easily offended when people make jokes about them? Kinda generalising trans people here aren't we? If people get offended by shit in a tv show turn the other cheek. It's a harmless joke, like all other jokes. I see this as nothing different than the other silly stereotypes in anime. Americans, black people, trans people, gay people. Japan doesn't follow the same "rules" as the west, and they never will.
Sep 7, 2020 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
It's just your over-sensitive ass. Don't worry. What a moron, complaining about a joke/gag in a comedy show. You're one of those hecklers at a stand special who can't take a joke so you have to ruin it for everybody.
Nov 12, 2020 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
I don't think the creators were trying to be transphobic on purpose. It's kinda like how minstrel shows were once socially accepted and people just thought racism was funny.

The problem why Aozora's character is that it perpetuates the false belief that transwomen are actually cross-dressing males trying to infiltrate female spaces. It's the same argument TERFs use to try to keep transwomen from accessing women's restrooms. It's this portrayal of transpeople as a threat and the lengths gone to expose them that is harmful.

(Edit: OK, so I just got around to watching Episode 10 and yikes, that whole segment about
was so... inappropriate? Like, I get it, it's supposed to be a dumb skit, but I think we can do better than this.)

With all that being said, I would not blame the creators of the show for any of this. This is more a reflection of society's understanding of transpeople. These stereotypes exist because most people have never met a transperson or are even aware that transpeople exist. So I would say this comes from a place of ignorance rather than malice.

Now, does this ruin the show? Well... it's one of those things that once you notice it it's kinda hard to ignore. It's unfortunate, like that super racist stereotypical Japanese character from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Sometimes it's hard to see why something can be offensive when you're not the butt of the joke. But hopefully we will see less of this in the future.
dirty_pcNov 16, 2020 4:56 PM
Dec 23, 2020 2:16 AM
Jun 2020
Withoutaname said:
This argument has been done to death ever since the anime's airing.

Yes it's transphobic.

No, that doesn't necessarily mean it's instantly "bad", or even "not funny". Some transphobic things can be funny. You can criticize something, acknowledge a flaw in it, and still like it. And, well, if you don't like it you can appreciate its other qualities.

You also have to remember these are children, and children are still navigating their social world and they'll say some insensitive things along the way. That's just how children are.

Since when are they children I- They’re 14, at this age, you are maturę enough. Actually, feels like you got 12 year old kids confused with 14. That’d apply to [dumb and childish] 12 yo’s, especially since that’s the age of going throught puberty
Dec 23, 2020 9:21 PM
Nov 2020
I think (Probably) it's a transphobic joke.
However, I saw all the jokes as something general (yeah i realized, may be because I'm not a transphobic so I didn't tiggered at all).
Speaking of general matters, the earth and humans has indeed become more complex since the 2000s began. xD
I mean, if everything suppose to be limited by thinking about every aspect of public offense, I'm sure humor will completely disappear in future lives. Each person should to give a sense of understanding out from themselves, understand that this is meant for comedy show. Our sensitivity should not be too sharp when watching a comedy.
After all, that joke is only shown in a bit part of the anime, isn't it? If only it were raised to the main line of ideas and subjected to constant repetition, I think it would deserve to be called "racist" or some other sensitive topic.
Aren't humans given the same responsibility to be able to understand a little about the other's feelings? no different from you/me either! this time, our job to see it as a general perspective and not as a sensitive one.
If all the little feelings are needs to be understood by every person in general, I think humans are better off living in their own confinement.
No need get to the point of talking about culture West/East because that would be too complicated and lengthy to discuss, you just need to bring a little of logic you have. ^^
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Asobi Asobase Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

177 by Yummynah »»
Apr 14, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Asobi Asobase Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

59 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 6, 4:10 AM

Poll: » Asobi Asobase Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

65 by Dystrex »»
Apr 3, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Asobi Asobase Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2018

67 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 1, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Asobi Asobase Episode 4 Discussion

SmillieReacts - Aug 8, 2018

35 by GavrocheN7 »»
Mar 31, 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.