Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nov 12, 2018 12:17 AM

Since the latest episode has gotten more serious, I've been thinking more into things.

On TV Tropes forums I've been reading about a theory that besides all the wacky hijinks, CGI dances, and Saga advertisement, the show is also a critique of idol industry. We have a group of girls who are isolated and literally locked in a prison when not on stage, who are punished for the smallest mistakes Their manager is selfish and constantly abusing them verbally and physically, and even threatened to shave their head before, which is a reference to when a popular star was made to shave her head in apology for dating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF2y45Jl_sI

They are referred to as numbers, obfuscating their true identities, and are unable to show their true selves. They have to always cover themselves when in public and put on a facade. They are forced to perform whatever the manager deems necessary for the idol group to become a success, and they go about performing cheerfully on stage but are no longer truly alive, they've lost touch with their old lives but continue on day by day in a zombified stupor when the limelight is off. They need to keep performing and being useful to justify their existence, and the public that cheer for them would tear them apart and try to destroy them if revealed their true selves.

What do you guys think of this angle?
Modified by Moekou, Nov 12, 2018 12:24 AM

Nov 12, 2018 3:55 AM

Stop overthinking and reading that garbage site full of overthinkers.

Nov 12, 2018 8:51 AM
Hmmm, that's a very interesting angle. I always thought this was an idol anime parody and this explanation makes a lot of sense. It kinda gives it a layer of depth above just a comedic parody.

Nov 12, 2018 2:34 PM

Haven't read through any of the other threads, so I may just be repeating something someone else already said, but here goes.

This does sound plausible, especially if one takes everything that happens at face value.
Buuuuut, what makes me disagree is the manager. Because if you look closer, you'll notice that the manager is actually mostly doing the opposite of the things you've mentioned. He's a pretty awesome guy and by no means malicious or ruthless.

The way I see it, the manager is the kinda character that acts like a clown to hide his true ability. First of all, he lands them jobs one after another. Those jobs are doable but quite challenging, encouraging growth while being appropriate for the stage they're currently at. He gives them some liberties and responsibility for themselves. He gives them space to sort out their conflicts on their own. Practice or play hooky? Your choice. While pretending to go sightseeing and fooling around, he was actually working. He gave them a crappy group name so they would decide on one on their own and accepted it just like that. At the same time, he doesn't pamper them by doing their job thus hampering their growth - like not advertising for them during the mud race which he completed perfectly. And he follows up when they do risk to expose their... zombiness (grabbing the person suggestively by their chin. Cracked me up when he repeated it on that guy...) Incidentally, all of his "abuse" is within the bounds of slapstick comedy and he doesn't actually follow up on the bad threats.
And I mean, if that isn't enough to be the MVP, he also kinda gave them a second chance at life. Just saying.

Also, in the end, they're performing because they want to. Because that's what they love doing, not because they're forced to.

Or maybe, the show is even trying to show both these angles at the same time. Like what you said about their relationship with the audience and the importance of hiding their true selves. Those two angles seem contradictory, but it may be worth a shot.

Haven't posted in MAL for years. Never thought THIS kinda anime would push me to change that ^^'

Nov 15, 2018 5:29 PM

dude ... that is hella deep.

on maybe unrelated note, i was into some conspiracies videos and entertainment industry is indeed filled with demonic exploits.
"you wanna be an airforce ranger
you wanna live a life of danger
you don't want get raped by stranger" -hajime

Nov 15, 2018 5:59 PM

That's a lot of facts for a mere creapypasta

Nov 16, 2018 7:18 PM
No, it's an attempt to revive saga. The weebs now want to visit Drive in Tori because of this

Nov 17, 2018 5:47 AM

I think it is important to say that it is a mix, zombies are since they first appearence a critc to the fruts of alienation of things. Plus the way as the manager can be ruthless, and the girls naive is exposition of the bad parts of the Idol Industry, however the good part is also being show.

Manager made the girls face hers fears, the song cheer people up and it is a nice experience to be part of a group.

Maybe the show was afraid of going a full critique. Maybe the writers really have mix feelings. Maybe they don't but are tryng to be impartial.
Hail Nico, the Namber Wan Idoru.