Forum Settings
Forums

What series did you randomly start watching that completely blew you expectations?

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Post New Reply
Nov 11, 2018 4:44 AM

Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiment Lain- watched them back to back with 0 knowledge about them and all of them blow my mind. From 0 to 100 basically.

Nov 11, 2018 4:51 AM

Durarara, I had dropped a long time ago, but I decided to see again and I ended up enjoying it very much.

Nov 11, 2018 5:01 AM

For me, I guess it would be Kill La Kill and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

for both of them, I thought it was gonna be another fanservice anime with bad characters and no story at all, but then I watched them and I basically loved both of them ^^
i really be out here trying to get a yandere harem so we have a battle royale. still love me yanderes tho 🙏😔

Nov 11, 2018 8:55 AM

kachou ouji was an unexpected 10 from me. i just randomly selected it and was attached from episode 1.

Nov 11, 2018 11:37 AM

Barakamon and Ping Pong the Animation, mainly because I was neither interested in calligraphy nor ping pong. the first turned out to be heart-warming af which i loved and the latter is one of the best coming of age stories i've seen c:

Nov 11, 2018 12:12 PM

I went into Hinamatsuri without any expectations and it turned out to be one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Nov 11, 2018 12:51 PM

Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. Judging by the artstyle alone, I wasn't expecting something that even took itself seriously. What I got was intense psychological battles featuring one of the greatest protagonists in anime with his own distinct mindset and values. The stakes were always high and the situation always felt urgent, plot armor nonexistant. Bonus points for the commentary on the significance of money and society's indiffirence to the poor.

Nov 11, 2018 1:12 PM

- HunterxHunter - Golden Kamuy - 3-gatsu no Lion - (this year) Before I knew it, I finished the anime and I started to read the manga..!

- Jojo's bizarre adventure (currently) - The first time (~4 years ago I think) I watched 5-6 episode and I didn't liked it... But this week I tried again and I finished the first season. And now I am sooooo excited to watch Stardust Crusaders <3

"Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan Anpan" quote by Yamazaki Sagaru (Gintama)

Nov 11, 2018 1:23 PM
I was skeptical about watching Ping Pong the Animation because I thought “How can an anime about ping pong be entertaining.” That was a stupid thing to think because it ended up being my favorite sports anime as well as a psychological character drama. I watched it because everyone praised it when it came out so I gave it a chance and I’m glad I did.

Nov 11, 2018 2:38 PM
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi. I know, it's popular, but in that time, i was new in this world and i hadn't heard of this anime. It just blew me away. Dispite the boring finale, the series are very good...

Nov 11, 2018 4:16 PM

I had no idea what Welcome to the NHK was about, I had only seen some screenshots and the opening, and when I watched the first episode randomly on night I was immediately hooked. I love that show.
I also got into Fullmetal Alchemist by randomly picking a manga from a website and going with it, now it’s one of my favorite series.

Nov 11, 2018 4:36 PM

Goblin Slayer.
I thought it was some kinda bold and dumb mainstream anime with gore and fan service in it.
But I was wrong. It's really exciting and also includes a lotta details and psychological struggle in it. It's amazing anime.

Nov 11, 2018 4:36 PM

My Hero Academia for me.

I've heard about that series for some time but never really tried to watch the whole show. I have watched one episode when the show first air and I didn't really like it back then, long after, I tried to rewatch it randomly and out of curiosity, it turned out to be good, and I finish the whole 2 season plus catching up with s3 that was still airing.

It was such a fun ride, I didn't expect much from it and thought I would just dropped it again since it was clear the first time I watched it I'm not interested at all. I used to dislike the art because it looked weird for me, but I grow to like it, eventually. Midoriya touched my heart because he was such a kind and gentle kid but he also had a strong motivation in him and he was so kind asdfghjkl. I love Kacchan and Todoroki-kun too, Uraraka remind me a lot to Sakura and I love her as well. I was just randomly watching it before, now I realllllyyyy love it and can't wait for s4 haha XD

🐰“Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit
and yesterday a deer, and today, you.”
🦌
― Robert F. Young,The Dandelion Girl.

Nov 11, 2018 4:40 PM

Biggest answer is likely always going to be Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho. Picked it up at the start of the winter 2018 season with the mindset of "eh, nothing's started yet, let's see what this is". Became my favorite anime. Like I don't usually have expectations for stuff I pick up at the beginning of a season, but nothing has ever blown me away that much.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good

Nov 11, 2018 4:41 PM

haikyuu, tsugumomo, ben-to first ones that comes to my mind
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Nov 11, 2018 5:03 PM

That's happening to me a lot...
Steins;Gate
I mean.. I stole copy the whole series from my friend's hardisk, as one of the anime that I didn't actually ask. I don't know what I was thinking back then and never even heard of it.. but the I started watching it and boom! It's so good!!

Love Live!
As a fanatic shounen-only watcher I am back then, this is one of the anime that open up the door to a whole new genre for me. When I watch it due to finding the game and got curious, I didn't expect much. But then it became one of my all-time favourite.

Attack on Titan
I'm scared of gore..
I admit that I'm scared of gore.. but when I watch this since I got curious why it was so popular, I got addicted!
I'm still scared of gore tho..

Hataraku Saibou.
This is the recent one. I've heard and know this anime when it still airing. But I actually didn't like it when it was airing since white blood cell (which I actually didn't know he was called that) really looks weird and some of the screenshot shows white blood cells covered in bloods. But when I saw a real doctor reacting to it, I got curious and actually hooked!

There's still many more, but it's pretty much similar situation to above~

I seriously need to stop watching idol anime... The fact that I can't afford to buy their CDs yet keep making my heart broken..
(つд⊂)

Nov 11, 2018 5:07 PM

Sora Yori and Bunny Girl. I didn't even intend to watch the former, but a friend of mine reeeeeally wanted to watch that with me, so I ended up going for it, the latter I picked up because I thought it was going to be a random harem shitshow to make fun of. I never imagined I would be as invested in either of them as I ended up being.

Nov 11, 2018 5:18 PM
Asobi Asobase. I started watching it because I thought it’d be cute. It turned out to be one of the funniest anime I’ve ever seen. ☺️

Nov 11, 2018 5:25 PM

- Angel Beats! (Heard all the hype about it and gave it a try. Couldn't stop rewatching the show ever since.)
- Kanon 2006 (Randomly started watching with almost no expectations. Now, I keep fawning over best girl of the show and find myself crying a lot...)
- Arakawa Under the Bridge (Knew almost nothing about it and was curious of how weird the romance is. Was completely caught off guard by its weird comedy and I find myself constantly laughing out loud multiple times throughout the show)
- Engaged to the Unidentified (Saw scenes of this when searching for some good romance anime and decided to give it a try. Got hooked into it immediately and find myself binge-watching till the end in almost a day. It has now become one of my favorite romcoms ever.)
- Nagi no Asukara (Knew absolutely nothing about it and it really did blew my expectations out of the water.)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (My first Gundam series so I didn't know what to expect other than mecha battles and deaths. Didn't expect that I would finish both seasons and the movie in just a week. I never thought that I would be hooked at a mecha anime.)
Modified by Mikura39, Nov 11, 2018 5:31 PM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!

Nov 11, 2018 5:25 PM

xxxHolic series was definitely a pleasant surprise, I didn't think it would end up making me emotional

Nov 11, 2018 5:58 PM
ドリフト

hunter x hunter
i expected it to be some boring, ordinary shounen

i am alone again and i want to be so;
alone with the pure sky and open sea

:¨·.·¨:
      `·..  reins

Nov 11, 2018 6:15 PM

Maid Dragon
I was talking shit about it before even watching it saying stuff like "oh look another crap moe series"
I was so very wrong (had to eat mine words for a change)

Nov 11, 2018 6:24 PM

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (both movies), went in with low expectations and ended up really enjoying them and wanting more (still want a third one where it's "resolved").

CGI is usually whatever, but they did a good job, now I just hope I can say the same for Kengan Ashua when it's released....

Nov 11, 2018 6:26 PM

TheAskald said:
Tsubakiaka said:
HxH (1999)- thought i was going to hate it, i sorta only started watching it because i loves the artstyle, turned out to be a favorite series that im in love with

-One Punch Man- i actually watched the first episode because everyone hyped it up and it was SO boring i hated it (i still actually hate the first ep) then one fateful summer night i said fuck it i need comedy. went and read the manga i couldnt get enough

Bleach- this was a good one lmao, my brother said it was basically naruto, i saw the first ep and hated it, went back and binged it all in a week or so. funny enough that first episode is now a fave

One Piece- literally said id NEVER watch, like i remember thinking it was the stupidest shit and it had no value....boy was i WRONG in 2 months i was caught up (when it was 850) and upset that id have to wait a week for every episode

Berserk- i do love gore and seinen/shounen despite my shoujo like profile, i saw berserk was no.1 on MAL and i also in general knew how popular it was. The story just looked boring and not something id ever want..........again wrong as hell

honorable mentions
-megalo box
-noragami

850 episodes of one piece in 2 months? That's some next level marathon here.

For answering OP, I'd say Sangatsu No Lion (when the second season still hasn't aired and the first season was still an underground 8.2ish).

i watched all of naruto (both series) in less than 2 weeks man...i was not in the best place lmao i had a lot of free time.
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
"I am not sure if it was just a dream.
My distant boyhood.
Buried memories from the days of early spring."-Guts

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Nov 11, 2018 6:42 PM

Tsuritama
Yuri on Ice
Baccano
Silver Spoon
Gintama
Made in Abyss

Nov 11, 2018 9:10 PM
I think, for me, the most pleasant surprises I ever got from animes were probably:

Shimoneta - When I first saw it being referenced online, I thought it was going to be a typical ecchi anime, but I saw a couple reviews say "No, seriously, go watch this, it's surprisingly intelligent!" and HOLY CRAP! Were they ever right?! Not just funny, but a really thoughtful and nuanced discussion about what it takes to change society for the better and the pit falls you can fall into.

and, most of all:

Kakegurui - I have no idea how the hell I came across Kakegurui, I can't even remember. All I remember is reading about Yumeko and the basic plot and thinking it sounded interesting. I checked online and found the first episode had just been posted. I watched it, not knowing what to expect, and, by the end, I was completely and utterly addicted to it! I was grinning and laughing maniacally along with the characters by the end of the very first episode and it is still probably one of my absolute favourite things on the planet! Must have been destiny, I guess.

Nov 11, 2018 9:17 PM
Lovely complex - Romance is not my cup of tea but this anime made me think otherwise

Nov 11, 2018 9:27 PM

Pretty sure I always start a random series. But it's Nana.

Nov 12, 2018 12:03 AM

Re:Zero for me. I was watching it while it was still airing. One of the best anime ever. Truly a masterpiece. I didn't expect a seasonal anime that I started watching 'cause I read about it in a random instagram post to be this good. I also consider Steins;Gate and Code Geass to be a masterpiece, but even before watching it, I had high expectations from it because of all the hype that it got.
Modified by swirlydragon, Nov 12, 2018 12:07 AM

Emilia-tan is a goddess!

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan ;)

Nov 12, 2018 12:48 AM

Umaru-chan! Did not expect it to be as entertaining as it was.

Nov 12, 2018 1:14 AM

Pretty much all of the anime on my favorites list. I have my list of favorites and hated. But my childs are aways my top pick.

Nov 12, 2018 3:56 AM

Grisaia series.I though it was some kind of cliche harem show,but it wasnt.It's still harem though,but every characters is just so fcking unique.And the anime also made me play the Visual Novel,which no other anime can do.So yeah

Nov 12, 2018 4:03 AM
Tsubakiaka said:
TheAskald said:

850 episodes of one piece in 2 months? That's some next level marathon here.

For answering OP, I'd say Sangatsu No Lion (when the second season still hasn't aired and the first season was still an underground 8.2ish).

i watched all of naruto (both series) in less than 2 weeks man...i was not in the best place lmao i had a lot of free time.

Naruto + Shippunden? The 720 episodes literally don't fit in two weeks even if you watch them back to back. But I get the idea.

Nov 12, 2018 4:05 AM

Grisaia, Made in Abyss and Bunny Girl Senpai for me were complete shockers. Especially with Bunny Girl Senpai's anime description. xD

Nov 12, 2018 5:48 AM

Mugen no Ryvius. I just saw it mentioned in some anime blog once and got curious. It wasn't even a recommendation, just a random name drop without any context. I'm soooo glad I decided to look it up. It's one of my favorite anime now.
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani

Nov 12, 2018 6:26 AM
Gintama

first time watching gintama is gintama movie 2 without knowing what gintama is. it was my biggest mistake i ever made when i was 14 yo. Started interest with the series a year later. pretty much it's boring for the first 40 eps, drop it couple times then it starts really funny and serious after eps 40s, especially
. then after
arc i was started to fell in love with the series

Nov 12, 2018 6:27 AM
Winged Hussar*

Rainbow or zankyou no terror i guess

Well...
Not like i care
and not like i will...

Nov 12, 2018 6:35 AM

Gintama
Samurai Champloo
Clannad: After story
One outs
Hunter x Hunter

I just randomly watched them without any expectation or with minimal expectations and got my mind blown.

Nov 12, 2018 7:59 AM

Basically all of my 10's, although special mention must go to Kill la Kill, Haruhi (to some extent, didn't love it at first mostly because streaming sites use chronological order) Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

<--me rn

Hai

Nov 12, 2018 8:21 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Houseki no Kuni for me. I was intrigued by the premise, but I didn't expect to be this engrossed in it. It became an instant favorite and I'm picky about those! I've been resisting the manga, because I REALLY enjoyed the anime, animation and direction-wise, so I wanna hope for a second season one day!

Nov 12, 2018 9:48 AM

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! ~~~ Just recently picked it up on a whim for a binge watch and fell in love with it. Ended up staying up a couple hours later than I should of a few nights because I just could not stop watching. Took the time to track down all the Specials, ONAs, and Movies.

Clannad + AS ~~~ I had heard good things about it so finally got around to watching it. My feels have yet to recover.

Sakura Quest ~~~ Decided to pick it up about half way through the first half just for something to watch mid-week. Ended up being one of my favorites during the seasons that it aired.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon ~~~ Picked this up totally at random and instantly fell in love with it. I picked up the Manga because I had to have more.

Nov 12, 2018 10:49 AM
Yu-Gi-Ou Duel Monsters, I got a lot more than I expected from it. It was like a soap opera revolving around cards, ancient mythology, and bishonens. And it was all OVER THE TOP! I have no regrets.

Second one was Seikon no Qwaser ... I expected boobs, got that and a pretty interesting take on the shounen genre, revolving around Eastern Orthodoxy and chemistry.

Third was Busou Renkin, I expected a subpar generic shounen, but instead got a shounen that took everything popular at the time, combined it and made a pretty decent and engaging story out of it. Heck for all the ideas it took from Bleach, it was actually better than the original. And people say Boku no Hero and Black Clover are doing the same thing; hahaha, no.

Maybe I just don't have much faith in the shounen genre, wow.
Modified by -Wiz-, Nov 12, 2018 10:53 AM

Nov 12, 2018 11:00 AM
For me, it is Bunny Girl Senpai and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Nov 12, 2018 11:02 AM
Bunny Girl Senpai for sure, I even dropped it when I first started watching it. Came back after someone recommended it to me. After I did watch it for more, it hooked me up a lot, and I watched it up until the very last episode, which was episode 5 at the time.

Nov 12, 2018 11:05 AM
For me it would be Zankyou no terror . I just stumbled upon it one day on MAL . Was interested so watched 1 episode . Instanly hooked . And

Mind = Blown

The animation is stunning , as well as the plot . The music can be a bit eh. But still Ok
But watch out for spoilers if you are going to watch it . One small little spoiler can ruin it all

Nov 12, 2018 11:20 AM
Forum Moderator
No.

It'd be Houseki no Kuni for me. I didn't know too much about it and it was a CGI anime. In the end it turned out to be exactly what I wanted from a show at that time.

Nov 12, 2018 12:45 PM
For me it has to be Saiki Kusuo Psi Nan. I watched it because l was bored but it really turned out to be great and I finished it in two days.

Modified by isseihyoto82, Nov 12, 2018 12:50 PM

Nov 12, 2018 1:09 PM

my favorite anime of all time, nana, happened to be that. saw it on an anime website and started it on a whim because the cover was interesting, ended up hooked to it right away.

airing this season, bunny girl senpai was also one of those. didn't expect much and only watched it because of the bunny girl stuff, also ended up very good.

Nov 12, 2018 1:12 PM

Yuuupie said:
Ergo Proxy for me. I saw one good artwork of it and decided to look into it. Couldn't find much on it online so decided to just go by the 3 episode trial tactic. Before I knew it I was hooked and finished it in one sitting.

Don't think Ergo Proxy is everyone's cup of tea, but it's one of my favourites and is the best example of me going from not knowing anything about it to 10/10.

Agree with this. Say I Love You was another one for me.
👏don't👏wear👏thrasher👏if👏you👏can't👏fit👏a👏whole👏skateboard👏up👏your👏butt👏

Nov 12, 2018 1:16 PM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica, ReLife, and Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai Yume wo Minai. They are, so far, my top 3 favorites. Madoka Magica and ReLife greatly exceeded my expectations (and both were able to make me cry), and Seishun Buta was literally the anime of this season that I was the least interested in (even the awful ImoImo had a higher priority) until I watched the first episode

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »