Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2018 5:40 AM

Apr 2011
When you read manga or watch anime, scenes can get boring at times.
Or they can become annoying.

Do you skip stuff that annoys or bores you?
And how much of such scenes can you bare with in a manga/anime before you decide that it's not worth your time?

As for me:

I'm extremely lenient on things that annoy me. I don't mind the MC being annoying or the whole cast even, if the story has other redeeming qualities. As long as there is something redeeming about any work, the bad qualities don't tend to make me stop. Although there are small things that can make a manga unbearable for me.
E.g. if the MC is trying to be that shallow guy that cares about nothing but coming off as "cool" and "not giving fucks".

I'm not lenient on content where I feel I already know what's going to happen.
I'll skip those scenes without a second thought.
A work would have to contain nothing but ~70% of regurgitated content that I've already seen hundreds of times for me to not care about reading it on though.
Nov 9, 2018 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
nope i watch everything until the end.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Nov 9, 2018 7:24 AM

Aug 2012
I discontinue watching an anime if the female voice actors are too squeaky for my liking. Another thing I usually do is that if the story of an anime is basically a duplicate of another anime, I just instantly drop it.
Nov 9, 2018 7:27 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I feel ya op. Anything below a 5 for the most part was finished due to ‘one’ trait keeping me baited. However I don’t do this often. Everything else I genuinely like, I’ll just get hyper focused on specific aspects if certain aspects don’t jive with me.
Nov 9, 2018 11:07 AM

Feb 2018
Skipping the scenes is a sin, sir. The only times worth skipping boring scenes is in the hentai or mangas +18.
Nov 9, 2018 11:11 AM

Nov 2008
When I watched Star Trek TOS and rewatched Star Trek TNG on Netflix, I skipped some of the episodes if they were rated low. Good shows, but much of them are just excruciating.

Nov 9, 2018 11:18 AM

Sep 2018
If none of it is good I drop it. If it is just 1 bad episode I watch it at faster speeds and may skip it.
Nov 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Mar 2016
I used to have a very bad anime watching compulsion from OCD, so I made myself watch anything and everything for the sake of watching it, lest I became anxious. I also had a slight manga compulsion in which I read 6 chapters per day, and once I started something, I could not stop reading it, even if it became boring. Now, of course, those compulsions are gone. If I get the time to read manga, I will only read what is enjoyable.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Nov 9, 2018 12:45 PM

Oct 2018
I've only dropped a few anime series, and if I dropped them, there is a damn good reason to why I dropped em'.

I mean, hell, I watched Boku No Pico the whole way through.

i'm a worm
Nov 9, 2018 12:50 PM

Feb 2018
if its boring i drop
theres too much to have to suffer through anything
Nov 9, 2018 3:32 PM

May 2014
I almost always drop melodramatic garbage instantly, beside that i will mostly only drop if i get so bored that i can't even watch a minute before pausing and doing something else. Also most of the time i tend to give bad shows too many episodes before dropping i simply get bored, thinking "i'll finish it some other time" but then never do. I have shows on my watching list that i haven't seen an episode of in years.
Nov 9, 2018 4:06 PM

Jul 2008
I don't skip anything. If it's that boring, then I'll just drop it or won't bother in the first place. Closest I've come is deciding, half way through, to watch the rest of Terror in Resonance in 2x speed. It's only a short series, so I didn't want to drop it, and I wanted to see if there was anything of substance at the end. Hated it.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 9, 2018 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
I never skip if i find an anime is boring most of the time then I just drop it
Nov 9, 2018 5:06 PM

Jun 2015
I just suffer through everything
I'd drop it but it'd require something that is complete garbage trash to break my 0 dropped anime count.
Nov 10, 2018 12:34 AM

Jul 2013
I'm a 0 tolerance kind of guy. A series is boring? Try another. I'm not feeling anime at the moment? Read some manga. Manga isn't doing it for me? Watch a kdrama series.. I don't fuck around when it comes to my hobbies, if I'm not liking something, fuck it, I don't have time for that.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 10, 2018 1:46 AM

Aug 2014
If it's a 12-13 episode anime, i'm usually able to finish it even if it's bad (ex. Glasslip lol). Seriously though, I hate dropping stuff, i'll usually only drop something if a character is extremely annoying.

Nov 10, 2018 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
i would rather drop an anime than skip a scene
Nov 10, 2018 6:22 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Thread moved from Casual Discussion. We'll keep it in AD since it's busier than MD.
Nov 10, 2018 6:44 AM

Apr 2016
No point in skipping stuff. Why even watch the anime if you find it boring in the first place?
Nov 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Feb 2015
I try to read and watch everything. If it's really, really boring then I'll watch it with increased speed (anime only) or just drop it and pick up at later date when I feel like wasting my time. So far games were the only thing in which I skipped text but even then I usually read summaries so I have some basic understanding of situations.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Nov 10, 2018 3:43 PM

Apr 2017
I never skip things. I may pay less attention if the scene bores me, but I do my best to not miss things. Even boring scene may be important to plot in some way.

As for how much it takes for me to drop the show, it varies. A lot depends on the feeling I get in the ep 1. For some shows I can bare with a lot if I have a feeling that they have potential, while for others I may drop them rather fast if I don't have good feeling about them. There are shows that I drop after episode 1, or midway through it, on the first/second boring/bullshit scene, while for some shows I may put up with a lot before I fully give up on them and watch several episodes.

If I were to use some recent examples, I did drop Sora to Umi no Aida somewhere midway through the episode one, since the whole concept it was based on seemed stupid to me, and it went overly cliche from the very beginning. Then when I saw them equip some random stuff on submarines out of nowhere as if by magic, though it was supposed to be sci-fi show, I just closed the episode and thought "nope".
On the other hand another show that airs this season, Ulysses, had pretty bad first episode too, and in a way I liked it less than I did Sora to Umi, but I felt that it had potential to get better, so I got through it, and several other episodes.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Nov 10, 2018 3:51 PM

Oct 2015
If I'm watching something boring but some aspect of the anime is keeping me hooked, I usually watch it sped up. If there are still some good scenes or meaty dialogue I'll go back to regular speed, but there are a few shows I watched to completion on fast forward (like Yes! Precure 5 - the Pretty Cure franchise is great but that one was such a slog). I never skip scenes though, at that point I would just drop it.
Nov 10, 2018 3:53 PM

Mar 2018
if you can bare watching BnP, means you can bare watching all animes

“That weekend the city blushed with a great heat wave but on
Monday it rained, cooling the ache in the street’s burn.”
― Daniel Amory, Minor Snobs
Nov 10, 2018 3:55 PM

Jul 2017
I rarely skip stuff but when I do I do it after thinking about it for a minute or 2 and then skip. ex: log horizon 2nd season the kids arc. useless unninteresting generic episodes about these characters, in a great anime.

and about having a bad MC for example I rarely ever stand it, but when character act like kids and are annoying I can't stand it.
Nov 10, 2018 4:32 PM

Nov 2016
I'd rather watch the whole thing than just skip it. If it's that boring then might as well just drop it.

Nov 10, 2018 4:35 PM

Dec 2015
I'm noticing that I'm skipping some stuff recently. Probably because I made me watch too many things, so I skip some useless scenes
Nov 10, 2018 5:25 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think I've ever skipped parts of an anime/manga, nor do I ever watch in 2x. If I start feeling like the anime/manga is shite then I'll just drop it altogether. Either that, or I'll put it on hold until I'm in a right mood to pick it up again.
Nov 10, 2018 5:27 PM

Nov 2018
It depends if it's needed for the story or not, and if I've already been through the boring parts with the manga/light novel.

With Overlord, I basically skimmed through the seasons, but read the light novels later to make up for lost information (which I'm glad I did, because lots of things are left out, especially with season 3). If an anime is boring, hard to watch, or if I feel like it's a chore, I'll just drop it, no shame in that.
Nov 10, 2018 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
If I'm watching a few episodes in a row then I usually skip the parts that are recaps. I sometimes also skip backstories of characters I don't care about like in Haikyuu when they threw a backstory of some random, boring character in the middle of a match.
fuyukiNov 11, 2018 7:19 AM
Nov 10, 2018 6:27 PM
Jan 2018
In episode 10 of Kannagi there's a scene where they're in a karaoke bar and for three minutes it's a repeating animation of a girl singing a song. I wanted to be done with that anime anyway so I dropped it.
Nov 10, 2018 6:37 PM

Jun 2015
I choose my anime after much careful consideration, so no.

I finish em.
Nov 10, 2018 6:56 PM

Jan 2018
When the show simply does not advance at all, either in story or character development, I think it's time to drop. Obviously sometimes, if the anime is extremely boring, but it has a good direction... I will certainly drop. My sanity is important too.
Nov 10, 2018 7:17 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I drop anime that I think are boring. To hell with being a completionist, life is way too short to waste time on boring anime.
Nov 10, 2018 7:30 PM

Sep 2012
I'm not a full on completion-ist but more than I should going by how much mediocre anime I complete. Still, there's usually small things I can like in shows I'm not so hot on and there has only been a handful of times I've regretted watching a series.

Nov 10, 2018 7:46 PM

Aug 2016
I try my best not to drop a show, regardless of how bad it is. However, some just lose my interest, as in I'm not even curious to see how much worse it can get, so I'm better off dropping them.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 11, 2018 6:49 PM

Jul 2013
i skip so much i sometimes skip straight to the end
usually i skim over descriptions and expositions
sometimes i watch everything, especially the ones i want to rewatch/reread, i pay more attention then

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

42 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
27 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

70 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
5 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.