Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 8, 11:43 AM
It used to be the so called "savior of anime" back when it began. I remember the Inferno Cop and Kill la Kill hype-train. Many said It was going to be the new Gainax and what not. Something that is entirely bullshit because aside from Kill la Kill it hasn't produced anything noteworthy ever since. Most range from average to mediocre at best.

For me they are not a good studio at all.

Nov 8, 11:46 AM
i like them they follow Imaishi style a lot which is exaggerated wacky animation for the most part with exaggerated snow ball effect story telling

but i like Imaishi more and his stuff like Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill and Space Patrol Luluco are crazy good, hopefully his upcoming new project Promare will be just as good too

EDIT:

and also they are like the few anime studios that regularly do Original Anime so its a testament that they have enough profit/popularity to make those original works
Modified by deg, Nov 8, 11:57 PM

Nov 8, 11:47 AM

I don't like any of the shows they produced.

Nov 8, 11:48 AM

Well Kill la Kill and LWA are definitely good shows and Kiznaiver is not as bad as everyone says but still Trigger haven't made any masterpiece so I don't know who call it "savior of anime".

to my suprise I dont think I have seen much of trigger.
Modified by assyrian, Nov 8, 11:52 AM

Loner

It's a bad studio but they create probably a masterpiece. Obviously i'm talking about Kill la Kill..

Agreed. Barring the masterpiece Inferno Cop of course, Kill la Kill is probably the only decent thing they've produced period.

Nov 8, 11:50 AM

I'll give them this, they're never dull. I'm in a weird spot where on one hand, I don't usually like most of what they put out, even Kill la Kill was just "good" to me, but on the other hand, they're usually interesting enough that I want to watch them even though it's not usually good.

That being said, the best things they've done are Inferno Cop, Space Patrol Luluco, and Little Witch Academia OVAs, and I would actually recommend all three of those, but everything else, not really.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good

Nov 8, 11:53 AM

i don't like it because i don't like kill la kill either.

Nov 8, 11:54 AM

hmmm not really Saviour of anime tbh. They just made a few good anime that's all.

Nov 8, 11:55 AM

I have only seen Little Witch Academia which i really liked but none of their other stuff appeals to me

Nov 8, 11:56 AM
They've got talents with brilliant potential. I don't mind a Darling in the Franx for a Little Witch Academia. I'm not entirely sure how the industry works but if their trashy popular shows can fund some actual good quality experimental series then it's fine by me.

Nov 8, 12:02 PM

I dont even like KLK and TTGL so their type of shows have too much swag for me I guess

Nov 8, 12:10 PM

I tend to dislike their shows, although Little Witch Academia and Kisnaiver were pretty good.

Nov 8, 12:38 PM

The only anime I've watched by them are Kill la Kill, some of Little Witch Academia, and most of Darling in the FranXX (dropped it). Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia are good, but Darling in the FranXX was... meh. Two out three isn't bad though, so I guess I like them.

Nov 8, 12:45 PM

They have two of the best animators in the business (Hiroyuki Imaishi & You Yoshinari) and I enjoy pretty much any production they are involved with.

Nov 8, 12:53 PM

I love Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia and Space Patrol Luluco, but Darling in the FranXX was a big no no.

Nov 8, 12:54 PM

Most of their stuff is decent imo but they've not made anything outstanding. Their style is pretty unique, which I like, but there isn't enough diversity within their own shows. Overall I think they're a fine studio that stands out from the rest because of they're crazy style, but they're certainly not the "savior of anime" because that statement is bullshit.

Nov 8, 12:55 PM

I haven't seen much shows from Studio Trigger besides 'Darling in the FranXX' & 'Uchuu Patrol Luluco'.

I even have 'Kill la Kill' "on hold" for years now since I'm never really in the mood to contineu the series.

Nov 8, 12:55 PM
Tasel said:
but Darling in the FranXX was a big no no.

people should realize that Darling in the FranXX is a CloverWorks/A1 original anime while Trigger just did work for hire on it so the overall major decisions especially the story should be blamed on CloverWorks/A1

Nov 8, 12:57 PM

I really appreciate Trigger's sense of art-style and animation. I also think that they are also one of the few studios that are brave enough to do an original anime.

Nov 8, 12:57 PM

Trigger is a real hit and miss, especially lately, sadly. shows like Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop made it really big, all the other titles are just disappointing
Space Patrol Luluco is a good addition to their successful works

Nov 8, 1:10 PM

From what I've watched, they're average.

I liked Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop.
Kill la Kill was meh
I disliked Darling in the FranXX and Kiznavier

Nov 8, 1:12 PM
From what I've watched, they're average.

I liked Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop.
Kill la Kill was meh
I disliked Darling in the FranXX and Kiznavier

Nov 8, 1:15 PM
Baka

I like LWA. Their stuff is okay.

Did not like Franxx. Too much NTR.

Nov 8, 1:18 PM

deg said:
Tasel said:

people should realize that Darling in the FranXX is a CloverWorks/A1 original anime while Trigger just did work for hire on it so the overall major decisions especially the story should be blamed on CloverWorks/A1

As far as I know, Trigger was involved in the entire production process, doing various things. There were rumors here and there trying to "excuse" Trigger from the show's shortcomings by saying that it had left halfway through but they were exactly that, rumors.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Nov 8, 1:20 PM

I find them good, I enjoy everything they make.
Can't wait for Promare and Inferno Cop 2.
"Even if there's a wide world and stories beyond the main focus, I don't think it's necessary
to end with the protagonist having been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Nov 8, 1:23 PM

Trigger is one of my favorite studios. I love their expressive art and persistence for original shows. They're also one of the few animated studios that have a real identity. When they make a show, you know it's them making it.

Nov 8, 1:26 PM

I notice a lot of people don't like Kiznaiver & Darling in the Franxx

Neither of those shows involved Imaishi or You Yoshinari (the best people at Trigger) and Darling wasn't even fully made by Trigger, A-1 Pictures were also involved. It's not surprising they are the worst Trigger shows when they have B rate directors.

Nov 8, 1:32 PM

Space Patrol Lu Lu Co was great

Little Witch Academia was amazing

Kill La Kill is fucking awesome.

They Still produce some of the best animated series.

Nov 8, 1:35 PM

On topic and to answer the question: I have a lot of relevant stuff to watch but Trigger appeals to a side of anime I am not excited for. Fixation with mecha and bombastic animation for overdone action sequences are not that appealing to me; what I find more interesting in these shows in terms of visuals is character acting and framing. The style I can sort of grasp from what I've watched is one I appreciate but I'm not too much into, and for this sort of over-the-top style I think I prefer the old Gainax, which from the stuff I watched also comes off as more experimental and pushed beyond the boundaries of animation and visual presentation.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Nov 8, 1:37 PM
Lazy

They barely do anything good, so I don't really care about them.

Nov 8, 1:45 PM

I think that they make great animation (I didn't liked the CGI in SSSS.Gridman tho) and that... I think that's all. They do average shows with cool animation. Nothing more nor less. I didn't enjoyed Kill la kill, so I don't get the hype around it.

Nov 8, 2:09 PM

every studio produces a lot of junk.
Even a lot of the ones known for quality, but I never boarded the trigger hype train. I cant stand looking at shows like ninja slayer and inferno cop. They look like barf. I usually dont find Japanese comedy funny either so a lot of trigger shows have nothing to offer me
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=58155 = new club dedicated to great fight/action scenes.

https://clifftull.com/ - My 3D-Art portfolio

Nov 8, 2:18 PM

deg said:
Tasel said:

The folks at helped Trigger with pre-production, Imaishi drew the action storyboards and around 5 episodes were produced there. At the end of the day though, it's neither a Trigger nor an A-1 production, but rather an Atsushi Nishigori production. The collab basically just was there, so he could fish from both studio's talent pools like he did with Idolmaster.

Nov 8, 2:27 PM

They haven't produced a single Anime that I would want to watch, so, don't care for them.

Nov 8, 2:33 PM

They are alright. I enjoyed Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia, but... wel... Darling in the FranXX happened.

Nov 8, 2:35 PM

I don't really care about studios. I judge shows individually and try to avoid generalizing specific studios, unless maybe they specialize in a specific genre like Kyoto Animation.

Nov 8, 2:45 PM

I'm that guy who likes Kiznaiver, but I also like Kill la Kill and Gridman so far has been good. I can look past Darling in the FranXX, in fact I even forgot it was a thing until this thread reminded me.

Nov 8, 2:47 PM
They don't have the best animation of the anime studios but they are really good at making actions scenes look exciting even when not much is really going on. Their shows also are filled with western references which makes it more accessible and enjoyable to a western audience. Probably their big and best trademark is they have great finales that are amazing and cathartic to watch with over the top animation and good sound design. Probably the biggest aspect that makes Trigger a meme studio is that all their main characters really standout and are extremely memorable. They are often so good they basically can carry the shitty parts of Trigger anime like inconsistent animation quality, fan service, story that falls apart at the end, etc.

The best studios in the anime industry in general is Madhouse, P.A. Works, White Fox, and Kyoto Animation.

Nov 8, 2:50 PM

Esquirtit said:
I dont even like KLK and TTGL so their type of shows have too much swag for me I guess
TTGL was not made by Trigger, it was made by Gainax before Trigger was created. It just had a lot of the Trigger staff.

Nov 8, 2:51 PM

When I think of great studios I think of Madhouse, Sunrise, ufotable, Bones, etc.. Not Trigger. Granted the only series I've seen from them is DitF.

Nov 8, 2:53 PM

They're super hit or miss

Over-the-top entertaining or obnoxious

etc

Nov 8, 2:55 PM
I really like them. Their animation style is pretty unique and they have some very talented people working for them. I also appreciate that most of their stuff is original.

Everything I've seen from them has been consistently great but I've only seen 3 of their anime (Kill La Kill, Inferno Cop and all the Little Witch Academia stuff). I have heard that some of their stuff that I haven't seen yet (Darling in the Franxx, Kiznaiver) aren't very good but everyone has their hits and misses.

Kill La Kill is in my top 5 anime and I think its a modern masterpiece but I'll admit that nothing else they've done has really surpassed it or been on the same level.

Nov 8, 2:56 PM

Kill La Kill and Little Witch Academia are lovely.

The rest.. meh.

Nov 8, 2:58 PM
Kill la Kill and Space Patrol Luluco were amazing shows
The Little Witch Academia shorts were as well.

The others I haven't watched (yet)

They seem to be pretty normal, aside from their "interest" in the West.
Got some well scored shows, some lesser ones, and a couple commercials.
I do like their art style though.
MAL Candies:

Nov 8, 3:01 PM

Trigger is one of my favourite studios, especially in terms of the quality of their animation. It has so much more personality than what typical modern anime looks like.
I know the best words.

Nov 8, 3:06 PM

I think they're doing fine, especially Uchuu Patrol Luluco, as my studio's favorite, is reason enough to hold them positive in memories.

T h e- w o r l d ,- s u f f u s e d- i n- s o u n d .

Nov 8, 3:12 PM
jal90 said:
deg said:

As far as I know, Trigger was involved in the entire production process, doing various things. There were rumors here and there trying to "excuse" Trigger from the show's shortcomings by saying that it had left halfway through but they were exactly that, rumors.

Trigger is involved in planning and design mostly but the actual production and major decisions of the story is done by CloverWorks and the director that is not from Trigger, source is here https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7zmqwi/i_am_hiromi_wakabayashi_a_creative_producer_of/dup6yc2/

why it would be much more honest to label this project as A-1 Pictures feat. Trigger over how it’s currently being billed
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/01/18/darling-in-the-franxx-introduction-and-episode-1/

MaceChan said:
deg said:

The folks at helped Trigger with pre-production, Imaishi drew the action storyboards and around 5 episodes were produced there. At the end of the day though, it's neither a Trigger nor an A-1 production, but rather an Atsushi Nishigori production. The collab basically just was there, so he could fish from both studio's talent pools like he did with Idolmaster.

ye that makes sense and i remember reading that the director of FranXX (Nishigori) is also the original creator of that show anyway so the major decisions is made by him
Modified by deg, Nov 8, 3:28 PM

Nov 8, 7:21 PM

Thus far I've only seen Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia. I've been meaning to watch Space Patrol Luluco though. Oh and if I'm not mistaken, they collaborated with Ginax for Panty and Stocking, right? Well regardless. What all I've seen by them I've liked a lot. They have a really noticeable style of animation which is not only visually appealing but quite charming.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »