Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2018 3:10 AM

May 2018
Saw this video which inspire to do this thread.

Which game you play so far has the best combat system, be it melee, shooting etc? Here's mine.

1. God of War(2018)
While I like the first 3 God of War, I'm not a fan of hack and slash combat since the action seems over the top for me but when God of War 4 come out with new combat system that is similar to SoulsBorne, this become one of my favorite games of all time. Throwing Leviathan Axe is so satisfying when it hit opponents(especially against Valkyrie) and Blade of Chaos is a good crowd control. Runic attack is so fun.

2. Bloodborne
Fast and fluid melee combat. Not clunky at all. Trick weapon gives a refreshing feeling compare to previous Dark Souls game.

3. The Last of Us
Most shooting game are over the top action like in GTA,Uncharted but shooting combat here is more rewarding as in you need to be more tactical. Sometimes, you even need to go back stealth to regroup.

4. Spider-Man (2018)
So many ways you can approach the combat playing as Spider-Man. Picking object to throw at your enemy(even enemy's rocket), off the wall move, gadget, yank down attack etc.

5. Mass Effect 2,3
I love how you can order your team mates where to go, who to shoot and each of them have their own special power.

6. Monster Hunter World
Lots of variety weapon of choice which help you fighting the monster different way. Trying them one by one is really fun.
Papa_ScorchDec 17, 2018 7:24 AM
Nov 8, 2018 4:03 AM
Jul 2018
Can't say that any game has ever wowed me with it's combat system, I usually only notice the quality when it's bad...

Many games I've played have enjoyable combat, but I can't really say there's anything that special about their systems. Talking games like Enter the Gungeon.

Mad Max did the Arkham style combat far better then the Arkham games did, though I'm not sure if the system actually originates in Arkham.

Devil May Cry series' combat is quite solid.

(I also just prefer platformers, stealth, strategy games, and puzzle games (proper puzzle game like Talos Principle not fucking Candy Crush), which aren't really games that push for a wow factor in combat.)

So I guess Mad Max, Enter the Gungeon, and DMC win by default...

From what I've seen and heard Titan Fall 2 seems to have excellent combat, kinda want to try it actually, but I don't care for online multiplayer.
Nov 8, 2018 4:05 AM
May 2012
Mount & Blade: Warband.
Nov 8, 2018 7:18 AM
Feb 2016
I really like the combat in Soulsborne a lot. Killing Floor 2 has some fantastic gunplay, along with Far Cry 4 as well. Doom 2016 and the original 1993 are also really good.

Nov 8, 2018 7:21 AM

Nov 2016
The Witched 2 and 3 has really good Combat. 3 a bit better than 2 but both are really good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2018 8:02 AM

Feb 2015
Guild Wars 1 gets my vote. Character and team building is like that of an RPG with hundreds of skills to choose from, while the gameplay is more like a real-time strategy game. It's very unique with a lot of depth, haven't seen anything else quite like it.
Nov 8, 2018 8:46 AM

May 2018
Probably not the best combat...but Final Fantasy XIII-3 Lightning Returns got me by surprise. Depending on the difficulty you play it is pretty much crucial to master everything there is to it. Otherwise you'll drop dead by normal encounters.
Nov 8, 2018 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
well DMC 100% 3 was very good and 4 nailed it especially with Dante and Nero in my option is the funnest person to play as in 4

also Bayonetta has some pretty good and fun combat but i will say Bayonetta 1 is better than 2
Nov 8, 2018 9:22 AM

Jul 2014
Hmm. Other than what has been mentioned:

Vindictus' system makes me happy, shame the end game and community is a bit off.
Nov 8, 2018 12:07 PM
Apr 2018
The only one that comes to mind that has not been mentioned yet is Ninja Gaiden (the 3d ones).
Nov 8, 2018 12:35 PM

Nov 2016
Mount & Blade: Warband for me probably has one of the best combat/melee system, it what got me into the game.

Nov 8, 2018 2:36 PM

Dec 2014
I liked the combat in For Honor, it's just the server completely sucked ass, so combat fluidity took a massive hit.
Nov 8, 2018 2:53 PM

Aug 2018
1. Dark Souls. The combat is so satisfying in my opinion. Compared to most other games, you are very vulnerable. If you rush in on a group of three or four enemies, you will most likely die or be on the verge of it. You need to be patient - blocking/dodging enemies and attack only when an opening presents. Even though you take lots of damage, you also deal much lots back. For me it makes it very rewarding and somewhat more realistic.

2. Dragon Age. I really enjoy the strategy aspect to it. Commanding a team of four, chosing who they'll attack, what abilities they'll use etc.

3. Super Smash Bros 4. This is the best fighting game in my opinion. Compared to other fighting games like Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc., The movement and attacks in SSB4 feel more fluent. I enjoy that attacks aren't based on combos, and that fights are often airborne. Many might say that SSBM is the better game in the series, but I haven't played much of it.
Nov 8, 2018 3:01 PM

Aug 2018
Milennin said:
Guild Wars 1 gets my vote. Character and team building is like that of an RPG with hundreds of skills to choose from, while the gameplay is more like a real-time strategy game. It's very unique with a lot of depth, haven't seen anything else quite like it.

Damn I had almost forgotten about that game! I used to play as an elementalist with necro secondary spec. Didn't like the gameplay style of my character, but at the same time I didn't feel like starting over... Too bad GW2's combat wasn't as good
Nov 8, 2018 3:06 PM

Aug 2018
Gorochu said:

3. The Last of Us
Most shooting game are over the top action like in GTA,Uncharted but shooting combat here is more rewarding as in you need to be more tactical. Sometimes, you even need to go back stealth to regroup.

The combat was the only thing I didn't like in the game lol. I feel like the stealth gameplay was too clunky, like corner takedowns, for example.
Nov 8, 2018 3:13 PM

Jul 2013
Can't say im the biggest gamer but.. I guess I could edge toward a rts game like age of empires or a total war game.

I also like the fast paced system that moba games like league have.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 8, 2018 7:52 PM

Jul 2009
The Souls and Monster Hunter games for me have the most rewarding combat mechanics. Fast-paced battles that demand good response times and punish players for button mashing.

I also love the combat of the first Dragon Age for entirely different reasons.
Nov 8, 2018 8:17 PM

May 2018
Kled11 said:
Gorochu said:

3. The Last of Us

The combat was the only thing I didn't like in the game lol. I feel like the stealth gameplay was too clunky, like corner takedowns, for example.

I don't think the game mean to be stealth. Stealth just a option for you to deal with the situation. Yes, the stealth suck.
Nov 9, 2018 12:30 AM

Nov 2011
Contra
Terranigma
Gunstar heroes
Doom
Shining Force iii
Fire Emblem Seisen no keifu
Castlevania 3
Ninja Gaiden ii the dark sword of choas
Star tropics
The guardian heroes
Nov 9, 2018 2:30 AM
May 2009
Nov 9, 2018 2:34 AM

Jun 2016
Devil May Cry 3
DmC: Devil May Cry (horrible reboot, flawless combat)
Arkham/Shadow of Mordor (same engine)
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Berseria
Final Fantasy X-2 (most fun FF combat system, imo)
Resonance of Fate (once you understand it)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Metal Gear Solid 5
Remember Me
Twisted Metal: Black
Doom
VorpalityNov 9, 2018 2:38 AM
Nov 9, 2018 5:37 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
This is a turn-based one but in The Last Remnant, the combat system was large scale, having you control up to 5 "unions" of up to 5 units each rather than just 3 party members in your conventional FF. There was huge potential and depth in the battle tactics and some of it was well realised. Sucky tutorial really throws you off into the deep end though, and the RNG in some of the system was terrible.
Nov 9, 2018 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
Melee: Dragon's Dogma and the Souls games

Shooter: The last of us and Ghost recon phantoms (rip)
Nov 9, 2018 11:57 AM

Sep 2018
My favorite combat system in a game is for

Tales of Graces f
Nov 9, 2018 1:43 PM

Nov 2008
Kled11 said:
Gorochu said:

3. The Last of Us

Same. I also didn't like the heavy forced aim assist that could not be turned off, and the enemies weren't interesting enough.

Nov 9, 2018 3:21 PM

Jan 2018
For FPS games my favourite are:
- Doom 2016
- Metro 2033/Last Light

For melee games:
- Soulsborne
- Arkham Series

I like God of War combat too. I like the idea, but the execution isn't the best. Enemies have too much health and very low variety of attacks. You basically dodge the same attack and hit it until it dies over and over again. Which takes a while because of their health.
Nov 9, 2018 7:00 PM

May 2018
Ezekiel said:
Kled11 said:

Same. I also didn't like the heavy forced aim assist that could not be turned off, and the enemies weren't interesting enough.

The game has aim assist? I probably didn't notice that because I aim myself.

-EDIT-
Seems like assist aim is available on easy mode but not on normal or grounded difficulty judging from conversation of this thread in gamefaqs. I play it on normal and grounded.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/783739-the-last-of-us-remastered/69828379

Papa_ScorchNov 9, 2018 7:24 PM
Nov 9, 2018 7:36 PM

Nov 2008
Gorochu said:
Ezekiel said:

-EDIT-
Seems like assist aim is available on easy mode but not on normal or grounded difficulty judging from conversation of this thread in gamefaqs. I play it on normal and grounded.

Uh, the aim assist is pretty heavy. I played it on Survivor. I don't know how you didn't notice. I'm not talking about auto-aim. I didn't even know Last of Us has auto-aim. But the game manipulates your aim no matter what difficulty you're on.

Nov 9, 2018 7:38 PM

May 2018
Ezekiel said:
Gorochu said:

-EDIT-

Uh, the aim assist is pretty heavy. I played it on Survivor. I don't know how you didn't notice.

Judging from the conversation from gamefaqs, seems like I'm not the only one who didn't notice. Are you sure the aim assist you talking about is really aim assist?
Papa_ScorchNov 9, 2018 7:47 PM
Nov 9, 2018 8:23 PM

Nov 2008
Gorochu said:
Ezekiel said:
Uh, the aim assist is pretty heavy. I played it on Survivor. I don't know how you didn't notice.

Judging from the conversation from gamefaqs, seems like I'm not the only one who didn't notice. Are you sure the aim assist you talking about is really aim assist?
Yes, I'm sure. It's there. It's been a few months since I played it, but I remember that the camera follows the enemy a bit once you've aimed at them. Uncharted didn't force this.

Nov 9, 2018 8:28 PM

Nov 2008
Found an example in the Last of Us 2 trailer.

https://youtu.be/btmN-bWwv0A?t=500

Nov 9, 2018 8:38 PM

May 2018
Ezekiel said:

You mean the part where Ellie aim at the enemy after she make the first shot? Isn't that the result of gun recoil or player adjust the aim? If not did the auto aim only happen after she pull the shot?
Papa_ScorchNov 9, 2018 8:43 PM
Nov 9, 2018 8:48 PM

Nov 2008
Gorochu said:
Ezekiel said:

You mean the part where Ellie aim at the enemy after she make the first shot? Isn't that the result of gun recoil or player adjust the aim? If not did the auto aim only happen after she pull the shot?
The gun followed by itself after the first shot. Same way it works in the original.

Nov 9, 2018 9:14 PM

May 2018
Ezekiel said:
Gorochu said:

The gun followed by itself after the first shot. Same way it works in the original.

So the auto aim only happen after you make the first shot. That doesn't happen to me. I play TLOU on PS 3. Did they add the auto aim feature in Remastered and TLOU 2? Which version you play? The PS3 or the Remastered.
Nov 9, 2018 9:34 PM

Nov 2008
Gorochu said:
Ezekiel said:

So the auto aim only happen after you make the first shot. That doesn't happen to me. I play TLOU on PS 3. Did they add the auto aim feature in Remastered and TLOU 2? Which version you play? The PS3 or the Remastered.
I played the remaster. Don't remember if it only activated after making a shot. It's been a few months.

Nov 10, 2018 12:52 AM
Jul 2018
Gorochu said:
Ezekiel said:

The auto aim option in easy mode is not the same thing as the general aim assist in the rest of the game. Aim assist just creates a little gravity well on top of target.

And based on this https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/652686-the-last-of-us/66474817
it is present on harder difficulties.
Nov 10, 2018 3:36 AM

May 2018
Haittakari said:
Gorochu said:

The auto aim option in easy mode is not the same thing as the general aim assist in the rest of the game. Aim assist just creates a little gravity well on top of target.

And based on this https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/652686-the-last-of-us/66474817
it is present on harder difficulties.

Consider the mixed reactions and judging from what the OP of the thread said,I think auto aim only happen during certain level or enemy but not in general. Type of weapons you choose might also have influence too.
Nov 10, 2018 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
I love the Golden Sun-system. The djinns are, im combination with the elements and summoned monster, quite unique and I really had fun with it.
removed-userNov 10, 2018 9:12 AM
Nov 10, 2018 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
oguba said:
For FPS games my favourite are:
- Doom 2016
- Metro 2033/Last Light

For melee games:
- Soulsborne
- Arkham Series

I like God of War combat too. I like the idea, but the execution isn't the best. Enemies have too much health and very low variety of attacks. You basically dodge the same attack and hit it until it dies over and over again. Which takes a while because of their health.

I played Arkham asylum and while the stealth combat was good fun the actual melee battles felt like busy work.
Nov 10, 2018 1:46 PM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
I enjoyed Kingdom Come and Mount and Blade Warband, they had simplistic systems that just worked. Easy directional attacks and blocking and KCD took it one step further with drastically lowering the player characters damage and ability with weapons till they trained in them.
Nov 10, 2018 5:31 PM

Aug 2018
Already been mentioned before, but I feel the combat in the first Dark Souls is pretty much as close as we're ever going to get to perfection, with our current level of technology.

Afloo said:
The Witched 2 and 3 has really good Combat. 3 a bit better than 2 but both are really good.

Funny how that goes, I thought the combat in Witcher 3 was abysmal. Combat in the first Witcher was ok, kinda similar to Neverwinter Nights, but worse.
Nov 10, 2018 6:48 PM

Jun 2009
Ninja Gaiden Black is my vote, though I plan on playing Bayonetta for the first time soonish.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 11, 2018 4:24 AM

Apr 2016
Fire Emblem for being the only turn based RPG with combat that didn't bore me to death.
Nov 11, 2018 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
ReallyBoredRN said:
Fire Emblem for being the only turn based RPG with combat that didn't bore me to death.

Have you played any of the shining force games?
Nov 11, 2018 2:55 PM

Apr 2016
EmperorDemonGava said:
ReallyBoredRN said:

Have you played any of the shining force games?

No but I remember seeing a YouTube video about one of them, might try them out some day.
Nov 11, 2018 4:04 PM

May 2009
From the top of my head;

Alot of platinum games, Bayonetta 1&2, TW101, MGR, Vanquish
Dark Souls and Monster Hunters emphasis on position and timing.
Dust; An elysian tale also had some stallar combat.

ShoryuukenNov 11, 2018 4:08 PM
Nov 16, 2018 4:01 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I doubt this is my favorite, but when I played Bastion (the game not the Overwatch character lol) it was the first time ever I had played a videogame and thought of the gameplay as "smooth"; hell maybe one of the only times if not THE only time.
Nov 16, 2018 4:42 PM
Mar 2017
I really like Yakuza's battle system lul
Nov 17, 2018 10:25 AM

Nov 2008
My favorite 2D combat is probably Streets of Rage 2. I'd love a modern 3D take on it or something inspired by it, with some features of Left 4 Dead. Wrote down some ideas over a year ago. https://ezekiel43.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/idea-3d-streets-of-rage-style-beat-em-up/

I was waiting/hoping for this next one to get at least one mention, but it's not that popular even on gaming forums. Max Payne 3 has my favorite shooting mechanics. I love the balance of weight and efficiency in the animations, the sound effects, the physics, bullet time and how over the top it is. I'm posting my multiplayer video because multiplayer is more open and does a good job of showing the mechanics, like shoulder swapping (which most new third person shooters only let you do while aiming/zooming, limiting your awareness), crouching (which I know most players never bother with, but which I've used to great effect), sniping, melee (which is automatic in the single player, but manual in the multiplayer), and rolling. The movement is also faster than in single player, depending on your loadout, and grenades can only be used in the multiplayer.

I wish I could still play it, but the Free Aim servers are almost always dead and the game now pauses on me constantly for some unexplained reason. For a sequel, I'd love it if they added a stylish slide, fluttering jackets and skirts, another weapon slot for a second two-handed gun carried over the shoulder with a sling, destruction, gore, interactive objects (like carts you can ride) and maybe some way to shoot in two directions at once. But I know there never will be a sequel. Open world games are much safer and more lucrative for Rockstar now.

I'm pretty sick of almost all shooters now being about stopping or slowing to a walk before you shoot, always with a zoomed in camera. There are few exceptions. Doom is one. I miss running and gunning.

Edit: Also, I think it would be pretty cool if some of the enemies in Max Payne 4's single player could shoot dodge, slide and roll just like Max. I know it would be more fun because it's fun fighting enemies like that in multiplayer.
EzekielNov 17, 2018 10:53 AM

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3505 by DesuMaiden »»
30 minutes ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3717 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

48 by DesuMaiden »»
33 minutes ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

15 by DesuMaiden »»
35 minutes ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

7 by DesuMaiden »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.