Forum Settings
Forums

Don't you think MAL ratings ruin viewership for airing shows?

New
Nov 7, 2018 5:03 AM
Sep 2018
I mean this quite legitimately. I know someone will say don't rely on ratings and see it yourself. It isn't like that for everyone. There are people who will see a very low rating for an airing show and will assume it's bad. Naturally they will avoid it, not like some of the people who wants to see it at first hand.

Not exactly saying that the show i'm about to introduce is marvelous at any level, it's just merely an example of a show that may actually be a beautiful show for some people.

I personally think it's much better to watch the series without knowing the rating, the low rating may even delude you.

---yes i know ratings are there for a reason-----
---just putting it out there that sometimes it's unnecessary----
---yes i did say sometimes----

Anime is pathetic. So am I for being a part of this community.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2018 5:05 AM

Apr 2016
So it's MALs fault that people are sheeps who can't decide for themselves if they want to watch specific show ?

Nah.
Nov 7, 2018 5:06 AM

Feb 2018
Most people rate very generously so getting a low average score usually means that the show is rather bad (ofc there are exceptions). So if you just want to see what the comunity thinks about a show the Mal ratings are a good way to do that but stuff like the synopsis should be more important when deciding what to watch.
Nov 7, 2018 5:07 AM
Aug 2018
I rely more in the reviews rather than the ratings
Nov 7, 2018 5:11 AM

Oct 2014
This doesn't really have to do with MAL or anime specifically but ratings in general, critic ratings before a movie comes out can help make or break movies or even shows.

I personally wait to see what gets high ratings or has high favor a month into a season before watching something i don't already know i'm going to enjoy. It's not a problem at all, if you think it is, the only solution is make better anime.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Nov 7, 2018 5:12 AM
Apr 2018
Yes

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37823/Conception

A good example of brainless sheep hating on a series
And 1 rating something because of its genre
Without watching it
Nov 7, 2018 5:13 AM

Feb 2013
maybe slightly but i feel most people only watch the most popular shit anyway even if its lower rated (or on a more optimistic note, replace "most popular shit" with "series they're genuinely interested in")

like i dont think Ken En was on too many people's radars; it certainly wasn't in mine
Nov 7, 2018 5:22 AM

Oct 2014
Too bad people doesn't know yet that MAL is irrelevant and so does its communities and ratings lol
It's like hearing a librarian telling you that a certain book on physics sucks.
Sure, he's a librarian, so he has lots of knowledge from reading there, but he's not a physicist either.
Nov 7, 2018 5:48 AM
Sep 2018
Revvie-chan said:
Too bad people doesn't know yet that MAL is irrelevant and so does its communities and ratings lol

this ^

I don't usually look at the ratings or what other people say about series. If I find a series that peaks my interest and definitely something I like in it, I will watch it. So many times I have been disappointed with how others would criticize anime that wasn't even that bad.
Anime is pathetic. So am I for being a part of this community.
Nov 7, 2018 5:49 AM

Aug 2016
There's probably a handful of people who do that, and they're stupid
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 7, 2018 11:50 AM

Jan 2013
i can't understand why do so many people keep using mal's ratings as a guide to decide which shows are worth watching.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Nov 7, 2018 11:52 AM

Aug 2017
maybe they should wait until the anime is finished until they decide to watch an anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2018 12:00 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
1. I watch something.
2. Afterwards see MAL average, stats page to compare how some of the people I know liked/disliked something.
3. Rarely read reviews for some probable entertainment or see thoughts of someone I know.

So yeah.. going through top rated Anime is easy to start watching Anime casually. If you don't want to spend too much time to search for something to watch. And MAL score simply shows the average of how much people liked something. (although troll ratings and people who have their rating system affect the average a bit. In the end seeing the amount of users rating something still gives the general gist of how much MAL community liked something.)
Nov 7, 2018 12:06 PM

Feb 2010
idk, it does probably scare off some people. Personally I know what titles I'm interested in and will almost never change my mind just because of the score/reception. There are some exceptions like the recent Basilisk anime or the Berserk anime from a while ago, but even then it's not so much the score as it is the reviews and what I heard about them that made me skip them.

In the end you need to know how to interpret MAL scores. Depending on stuff like genre, popularity and availability a low score can be more or less meaningful in my opinion.
AlcoholicideNov 8, 2018 2:55 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 7, 2018 12:06 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Theres always that one idiot on every seasonal "why is the rating high/low" while it's airing.

I hardly even check or look at the MAL score. It means nothing.
Nov 7, 2018 4:17 PM

May 2009
Kind of.

Probably.

I don't watch currently-airing stuff but I try to ignore ratings when picking out what to watch. Because I don't want to be biased by an expectation.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 7, 2018 5:17 PM

Dec 2015
Not unless you're a mindless sheep. You have a brain, use it. The ratings are just there for people to express what they think of the series.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nov 7, 2018 5:25 PM

Jan 2018
people on this website need to learn that numbers exist from 2-6 too, not everything has to be a 1 or a 7+. then again, nobody really cares about the ratings on this website, filled with overrated trash. the only shows that get the flak they deserve are the really bad ones.
Nov 7, 2018 5:45 PM

Jul 2017
I guess it really depends. This seasons Conception and My Sister My Writer are so all over the place it's unironically hilarious, but I think the scores are reasonable.

Something like TG:re S2 I can sorta agree with. Guaranteed it's a mess but I assume most of the hate comes from manga readers
Nov 7, 2018 6:11 PM

Jun 2017
After some time they understand that MAL's score doesn't matter at all but when you haven't seen much anime it's hard to take every anime a chance so for example like me, they don't watch any anime that have 7- score
Nov 7, 2018 7:00 PM

Nov 2017
i'd never watch anime depends on MAL ratings... i watch anime depends on my mood,taste and voice actresses.

and yet... i dont watch most of TOP 100 anime ranking on MAL.
Now Loading.....
Nov 7, 2018 7:05 PM

Oct 2017
true, i almost ignored ssss gridman because it had 6.92, i gave it a shot and not regretting it so far
Nov 7, 2018 7:25 PM
Aug 2013
I don't really see the point in the first place.
How can you even judge anything if you haven't seen every part of it?
Those rare times in which I didn't finish a production (wether a movie, an anime or a manga) I didn't feel like it was my place to give it a rating since I could not judge its entirety, thus I simply put it in the dropped ones.

On the other hand, in those times in which I find something astonishing I don't feel any urge to give it a rating either, I wait for it to finish and then I've got every last bit of information to rate it.
Nov 7, 2018 7:29 PM
Nov 2018
see it yourself . Rely a little on ratings because everybody has different taste.
Nov 7, 2018 7:35 PM

Mar 2015
you watch anime for yourself, not for others....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 8, 2018 3:27 AM

May 2018
my easy guide to MAL rating

anything that have <20k members and <4 score : unwatchable
4-6 mean score but have at least has 20k members : niche anime that have a lot of haters, probably harem or cliche anime.
6-7 mean score with at least 20k members: niche or cliche anime that didn't upset the community.
7-9 mean score but have <20k members: probably fujo bait.
7-8 mean score with 20k-100k members: either unique genre or sold CGDCT
6-8 mean score with more than 100k members: haters alert
8-9 mean score with more than 100k members: either elitist anime or salty haters can't drop the score.
Blue_ReaperNov 8, 2018 3:31 AM
Nov 8, 2018 3:59 AM

Jul 2017
I basically don't care about ratings.
Nov 8, 2018 4:36 AM

Jan 2017
It depends.

I might be hesitant to pick up a show if I see it rated 5-6, I fell that it might have a bad plot and with bad animation.

However many shows are under rated. I think it's best not to look at the rating but also at the reviews on MAL and external on different websites. Check the people reviewing the anime with a much higher score, see what they have reviewed in the past, what their scores are on the watch list.

Mal also has a few tools which if used correctly can make you decide - reviews, stats that show percentage of different ratings.
Nov 8, 2018 4:39 AM
Sep 2018
ecchiharemgeek said:
Yes

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37823/Conception

A good example of brainless sheep hating on a series
And 1 rating something because of its genre
Without watching it

Well it is an isekai show about impregnating women from another world
Profile views make me feel loved
Nov 8, 2018 4:45 AM

May 2018
Consider that most anime fan pirate anime whether it's download or streaming it illegally,I don't think whatever MAL ratings has really hurt the current air show.
Nov 8, 2018 4:52 AM

Sep 2013
it can ruin to a lot of people since ratings are an overall look of an anime but it doesn't really affect me
Nov 8, 2018 5:11 AM

May 2015
I think popularity is a bigger drive than actual rating. People will watch what most of the other people are watching.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2018 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
yes mal ratings do run viewership because if i check an anime on here that has a mean score under 7,i won't bother watching it
Nov 8, 2018 5:40 AM

Jul 2013
Not really

It's just a matter of preference, we can't always have the same taste. "Different strokes for different folks"

Nov 8, 2018 8:37 AM

Aug 2018
I think its more likely to affect completed shows than airing ones unless you pick it up late in the season
Nov 8, 2018 8:44 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Anything in the 5's or lower is a good indicator that a show is garbage and that you shouldn't watch it.
Nov 8, 2018 8:47 AM

Jun 2014
Sadly, it does for some. While I don't care about ratings, I know a bunch of people who avoid stuff if the rating isn't high enough for them for some reason.

Take "RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida" for example. I'm really enjoying this, but apparently a bunch of people expected it to be exactly like Steins Gate, and because it wasn't, they're rating it low, and it's scaring people away from it, but this Anime is actually really good. I've never seen Steins Gate, so unlike those other people, I wasn't making any comparisons, and I'm fully enjoying the Anime for what it is.

"Radiant" is another Anime that's getting rated low, because apparently the Anime isn't exactly like the Manga. Big deal. Some of us never read the Manga, and don't care to, but it's still a great Anime, and I highly recommend it.

Nov 8, 2018 8:51 AM
Sep 2016
Yeah..This happens a lot
...A lot of idiots and sheep ( I can say that cause they probably won't see this upupu) have told me/tell me they won't bother with a certain show airing cause they saw a 6 or below on it.....and there's even an anime airing this season that got a viewership spike just cause the ratings went crazy up ... Thinking for oneself is a talent not many people have

1.1.Six
Nov 8, 2018 8:52 AM

Sep 2016
Yes, a low MAL rating could ruin viewership of an airing show, but at the same time a high MAL rating could increase viewership.
It balances out.
IMO, if people are so hung up on basing their watching on the rating, they deserve what they get.
They deserve to be annoyed with a show they find crappy, that they started watching because of a high score.
They also deserve to miss out on what they might consider a good show or a hidden gem because they passed it up for having a low score.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 8, 2018 8:53 AM

Aug 2015
I kinda agree. Ratings do create prejustice. I don't rely on them but still when I see rating 8+, my expectations would be higher than when I see rating <6
Oh, I remember the days when MAL didn't have this giant score number at the top of anime page.
Nov 8, 2018 9:12 AM

Aug 2016
wait someone is paying attention to ratings in MAL? Ahahah funny. I don't care about rating or reviews in mal. Trailers, Synopsis, Friend recommendations is all that matters, but I don't really think it's ruining viewership, most of people don't check ratings at this point.
Nov 8, 2018 9:27 AM

Jul 2015
Sure there are good anime but have 6 rating. But most of them are actually shit. Good luck find the good one

Nov 8, 2018 9:27 AM

Aug 2015
It MIGHT be little unfair to the shows that're still airing.
They might go good or bad in later episodes,so you may say the rating now is not fully reflective or whatever.I don't know

I just don't see it as a big problem.People here are getting more independent and don't really care about ratings anymore.They'll watch what they want to watch,regardless of the score

So the answer to the question is "not quite" It may affect some people,but only some
Narrator:
We're now at the natural habitat of some of the garbage human beings in the world.
And here,you see one of them is trying to say something intellectual and funny
But he failed.I guess he's too lame to do so.

Nov 11, 2018 7:03 PM

Jul 2013
for airing shows I plan on which ones to watch based on synopsis and pvs and source materials before they air, so i dont get influenced by bad reviews
Nov 12, 2018 3:10 AM
Oct 2018
Yeah, it's very misleading at times. Too many people join 'hate-trains' for anime that isn't as bad as people make it out to be (resulting in a low overall score) and too many people join 'hype-trains' for anime that isn't as good as people make it out to be (resulting in a very high overall score). Not to mention a large portion of MAL scorers/reviewers are under the assumption they are qualified film critics.
XaeNov 12, 2018 3:13 AM
Nov 12, 2018 3:15 AM

Jan 2015
look at the top viewed anime on kissanime, and then their rating on mal, and you get your answer
Nov 12, 2018 7:19 PM
Jan 2018
I don't have the time to watch a lot of anime, so I let the nerds who have nothing else to do watch sift through the river of seasonals and give me the gold they found.

On the other hand, I might watch a show if someone recommends it to me even if it has an average score.
aNewUsernameNov 12, 2018 7:27 PM
Nov 12, 2018 7:20 PM
Nov 2018
Whenever I recommend the masterpiece called "Coppelion" to someone, they tell me "Nah, it has got a bad MAL-Rating". So yea, I agree with what was stated in the OP.
Nov 12, 2018 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
It depends since we value different things on how we choose an anime to watch. It could be more or less for all we know.

I choose anime to watch by: plot, art/animation/visual, and genre. But there are cases that ratings did influenced me to set aside one series for the another.
Nov 12, 2018 8:16 PM

Feb 2010
I do look at MAL ratings and consider them but this doesn't stray me from watching, usually. I tend to like some things that other people don't, so if it sounds like my type, I'm in.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

51 by EastIndiaCompany »»
17 seconds ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 5 hours ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

98 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

75 by Kundi-Man »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

37 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.