Forum Settings
Forums

Older people who watch anime: Have the shows you watched changed throughout the years?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 16, 2018 12:43 AM

May 2009
Energetic-Nova said:
I think anime has changed more than I have.
This.

I only got into anime as an adult though.

Now if you count the much more limited selection of stuff I had on hand as a kid, then sure, yeah, I don't watch Pokémon anymore for example.

But after reaching the stage at which I would look for more stuff to watch using a site like MAL, I've found that the fads and trends in the industry and fandom have changed far more than I have. I still want the same sort of story, fundamentally, as far as I can tell.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 27, 2018 2:36 PM

Oct 2018
Sure but I think it's more my tastes have evolved started back in 1990s as more of an fan of more action-based anime. As the market opened up I moved on to more SoL or Romantic dramas, I seem to enjoy character drama/play more than action sequences in a lot of the selections I am choosing as an anime fan these days.
MKSTEELNov 28, 2018 6:01 PM
Nov 28, 2018 2:31 AM

Feb 2015
My opinions on what I like and dislike has become more refined, but I still prefer the same genres as I did 10+ years ago.
Nov 28, 2018 2:42 AM
Jul 2018
I grew up with 90's and early 00's anime. The style changed. I don't like that, but other than that anime has stayed the same, for the most part.
Nov 28, 2018 2:48 AM

Jun 2016
I obviously enjoy things like plot and characters over flashy fights and ecchi at 26 than I did at 16.

But it's not like i'm opposed to dumb fun, like Highschool DxD.
Nov 28, 2018 3:50 AM

Nov 2018
Right now I watch only things that I enjoy, before I watched all kind of shit
Nov 29, 2018 12:33 PM
Oct 2016
I've been watching since Battleship Yamato was rebuilt as "Star Blazers" in 1976, and anime has changed a hell of a lot.

It seems like the focus of anime has shifted from telling stories about people embedded in difficult situations, to affirming viewer's identities. The isekai hero always being a video game otaku, or an idol fanatic or whatever makes the targeted viewer feel good about themselves. Anything based on a light novel is particularly bad about this.

Fewer series have a beginning, middle and end. A lot of the time they devolve into meaningless noodling within 3 episodes. Even if they have a well developed beginning very few of them have an ending.

Honestly though I'll bet that if I went back in time these problems would have been there in 1976. It's just that we are in the middle of a glut of anime, and therefore it's easier to see the trash.

Nov 29, 2018 1:55 PM

Dec 2007
I'm 28, watching anime for 11 years. And of course. I don't watch the same things I watched when I was 17. I prefer seinen even more these days though I always loved it. Less shounen even though I used to watch a lot of shounen.

Anime changes all the time. Production values, the animation and character designs changed and popularity gone up. It's totally different from what it was 5 and 10 years ago for example. Anime is always dynamic.
DeadIEndDec 8, 2018 6:01 AM
Nov 29, 2018 10:13 PM

Feb 2017
I've been watch the anime that was presented on television for a long time such kid's anime or any battle shounen, without realizing it was anime. It was up until a couple of years back that I started learning about anime and taking it more seriously. It used to be just action or anything that was popular from word of mouth or the internet (AOT, SAO, Death Note) stuff of that nature.

Now I watch any good show regardless of genre.
Nov 30, 2018 12:12 AM

Dec 2009
I didn't know what anime was until Toonami back in the late 90s. Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing were my gateway drug.

I'd say that I'm more picky then I was when I first started. I would watch anything that was anime and I could get my hands on. So now that I can pick and choose what I want to watch. Plus a lot more is available and easy to watch.

That being said what I enjoy is different. Use to be big into sports, slice of life, and shounen. Now I'm more interested in more mature content with exciting and interesting, with some good humor thrown in.

Nov 30, 2018 6:10 AM

Oct 2018
buenoexcellente said:
I've been watching since Battleship Yamato was rebuilt as "Star Blazers" in 1976, and anime has changed a hell of a lot.

It seems like the focus of anime has shifted from telling stories about people embedded in difficult situations, to affirming viewer's identities. The isekai hero always being a video game otaku, or an idol fanatic or whatever makes the targeted viewer feel good about themselves. Anything based on a light novel is particularly bad about this.

Fewer series have a beginning, middle and end. A lot of the time they devolve into meaningless noodling within 3 episodes. Even if they have a well developed beginning very few of them have an ending.

Honestly though I'll bet that if I went back in time these problems would have been there in 1976. It's just that we are in the middle of a glut of anime, and therefore it's easier to see the trash.

I think you hit the head of the nail there, the market density has increased due to the increased pace of localization.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

64 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

61 by alshu »»
9 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

17 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

26 by LeonhartAugust »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 57 minutes ago

7 by FanofAction »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.