Forum Settings
Forums

Cigar-shaped interstellar object may have been an alien probe, Harvard paper claims

Nov 6, 2018 4:27 AM
A mysterious cigar-shaped object spotted tumbling through our solar system last year may have been an alien spacecraft sent to investigate Earth, astronomers from Harvard University have suggested.

Since its discovery, scientists have been at odds to explain its unusual features and precise origins, with researchers first calling it a comet and then an asteroid, before finally deeming it the first of its kind: a new class of "interstellar objects."

Now, a new paper by researchers at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics raises the possibility that the elongated dark-red object, which is 10 times as long as it is wide and traveling at speeds of 196,000 mph, might have an "artificial origin."

"'Oumuamua may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization," they wrote in the paper, which has been submitted to the Astrophysical Journal Letters.

The theory is based on the object's "excess acceleration," or its unexpected boost in speed as it traveled through and ultimately out of our solar system in January 2018.

"Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that 'Oumuamua is a light sail, floating in interstellar space as a debris from an advanced technological equipment," wrote the paper's authors, suggesting that the object could be propelled by solar radiation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/oumuamua-alien-probe-harvard-intl/index.html

aliens!!! lol so they found us humanity first? the aliens are clever disguising their probe as an asteroid though

Nov 6, 2018 5:52 AM

You can only hope it's aliens right? This reminds me a couple years back when scientists thought they found a Dyson sphere around a nearby star.

Nov 6, 2018 5:55 AM
-Swish said:
You can only hope it's aliens right? This reminds me a couple years back when scientists thought they found a Dyson sphere around a nearby star.

yep, i just find this kind of news from scientists to be amusing

and i remember that news too, too bad it was just an asteroid belt around that star when they taken a closer inspection of it

Nov 6, 2018 6:07 AM

deg said:
-Swish said:

yep, i just find this kind of news from scientists to be amusing

and i remember that news too, too bad it was just an asteroid belt around that star when they taken a closer inspection of it

It's good to see that scientists would even make a claim like this, so if something verifiably alien comes does come through it won't be overlooked or written off.

Nov 6, 2018 2:52 PM

With the amount of undeserving diversity students that Harvard gets this days, I think I would rather thrust some fucking elementary schooler with a telescope at this point.

Nov 6, 2018 4:50 PM

While Harvard has it's problems, I know for certain that's an alien craft.

Nov 6, 2018 8:16 PM

-Swish said:

Well yeah.. I don't believe for a second that these Harvard guys actually think it's alien, but if it is, they're instantly legends.

Nov 6, 2018 11:08 PM

It is worth considering but that doesn't mean that is for sure what it is.

Guilion said:
With the amount of undeserving diversity students that Harvard gets this days, I think I would rather thrust some fucking elementary schooler with a telescope at this point.

They both have Hebrew given names and one has a Polish family name while the other has a German family name possibly derived from a Hebrew name. Jews on average come from a higher economic status and on average have higher levels of education. They didn't get in because affirmative action but despite affirmative action.

Nov 6, 2018 11:10 PM

this old report again? they still don't know what it is?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Nov 7, 2018 3:33 AM

This was such a lost opportunity. We should have dedicated all the computational power of NASA to finding intercept trajectories and attempting to launch nuclear weapons at it before it escaped. At least as a learning experience for when we really need it. Oh, in case you didn't know it was a giant alien penis sent to taunt us from the Galactic Patriarchy.
Modified by Soverign, Nov 7, 2018 3:38 AM

Nov 7, 2018 4:27 PM

so mal users managed to turn an alien thread into a race thread.

awesome

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.

Nov 8, 2018 4:43 AM

The actual paper, if anyone here bothered to read it, states that for Oumuamua to be accelerating the way it is, it must be a very thin object, as in 0.9–0.3 mm thickness. Now that is a very unusually thin object for something so big. They don't know if it actually is that thin, the math predicts that it must if the acceleration is indeed caused by Solar radiation pressure, but current observation of it's shape is lacking still.

The 'Concluions and Discussion' section at the end gives a few potential explanations for how an object like this could be created. One of them is that it is artificial, the others are of how it could have come about naturally. The scientists didn't say it's aliens, they said it might be aliens.

CNN is marketed to ordinary people, who aren't going to be too exited about this kind of news, so jumping on the 'aliens' possibility is really all they can do to make their audience give a shit about this.

And don't be getting high and mighty about being better than CNN's audience, lets face it 99% of the people on MAL don't give a shit either (unless it actually is aliens).