Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 3, 2018 12:47 PM

May 2018
Great episode. I really love Asuna <3 own
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Nov 3, 2018 12:48 PM
Oct 2012
lol Look what i found :
https://imgur.com/ovLPgmb

someone highlighted the novel about parts that was removed or changed in this episode from the novel !

it's kind of too small tho, so I doubt i can read it lol

sadly i can't find the original poster for this lol
Nov 3, 2018 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
-Riptide- said:

Press F to pay respects
Holy fuck. Probably the saddest scene of the whole SAO. I'm still crying at such tragedy ;_;
Nov 3, 2018 12:51 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Positively surprised at how good that episode was tbh

And lol that Suguha comparison is hilarious
Nov 3, 2018 1:02 PM

Feb 2013
So they kidnapped Kirito, poor guys, they don't know how Asuna is when she's angry!
Nov 3, 2018 1:04 PM
Oct 2012
Illyricus said:
-Riptide- said:
Holy fuck. Probably the saddest scene of the whole SAO. I'm still crying at such tragedy ;_;

She got so sad that Kirito is brain damaged and missing that she deflated xD

but seriously, i didn't notice this at all when watching the EP, some ppl's priority of what to focus is quite interesting :P
Nov 3, 2018 1:09 PM
Oct 2012
Ulquiorra said:
So they kidnapped Kirito, poor guys, they don't know how Asuna is when she's angry!

idk if it was in this EP or will be later,
but in novel Asuna actually lift the guy by his shirt collar or something asking about Kirito or something :D
can't remember if he lift him up in air or just pull up tho xD
Nov 3, 2018 1:14 PM

Jun 2010
Tiande said:
Somehow I'm a little displeased that they're only showing the small village and that big tower on the monitors. It's making me assume the Underworld is enclosed in a small area (the village, Axiom's church and the mountain's other side). I was hoping the Underworld to be way more open and big (continually expanding?) but from the look of it, it's like 1-2 floors of Aincrad?

The Village Eugeo and Kirito are coming from was a decent distance away from the mountains, and much further away from the Axiom Church. (The place with the huge tower.)

There are multiple villages spread out in different directions away from the church, and even a village in-between the church Eugeo and Kirito were coming from and the church.

What's shown on the monitor doesn't quote do the world justice.

Then you also have to consider that the Dark Territory has it's own huge expanse...
Nov 3, 2018 1:15 PM
Jan 2018
So everyone it's NOT A VIDEO GAME it's a simulation

it's basically the Matrix
Nov 3, 2018 1:18 PM

Jun 2010
-Riptide- said:

Press F to pay respects

Huh... That seems like an Animation error. I wonder if they will fix it for the Blu-Ray. Then we could say Sugu got a "BR" expansion.
Nov 3, 2018 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
neonie said:
-Riptide- said:

Press F to pay respects

Huh... That seems like an Animation error. I wonder if they will fix it for the Blu-Ray. Then we could say Sugu got a "BR" expansion.
Even in ALO her avatar is flat...
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Nov 3, 2018 1:38 PM

Dec 2014
ok this just became something big.... really enjoying this season..it is incorporating everything...even the movie love it
Nov 3, 2018 1:50 PM

Jun 2010
Ishkoten said:
neonie said:

Even in ALO her avatar is flat...

I went back and checked, and her ALO avatar still looks like it has breasts from the front. I really do feel like them looking slightly less big there is due to the fact that they are all in nightgowns. Which are typically very lose fitting.

But the casual clothes one, yeah, looks like an Animation error.
Nov 3, 2018 1:53 PM
Dec 2011
Another beautiful episode. Seeing Rinko for the 1st time in the anime was amazing. Lovely episode!!!! :)
Nov 3, 2018 1:53 PM

Feb 2015
Great to see more Asuna, she really is best girl, kinda sad her screen time will be limited in the first part of the series.
Nov 3, 2018 1:56 PM

Jan 2016
What a weak episode.

I felt like this season has been like a dream, it felt like SAO was finally living up to its potential and I sincerely hope that it does despite a weak 5th episode.

Kiritos mom for some reason have no emotions, this pissed me off more than anything. At least show her break down and cry instead of just go ahead and do the paperwork.

But made this such a bad episode is Yui, like always sigh. Your storytelling capacity must be horrible if you have to use an AI that somehow can hack into everything and give you information on anything to progress the story.
How can Rath security be so bad that Yui can just replace already existing profiles?

I could go on forever but it'll only be time-consuming.
On a positive note, we got a bit more info on Kayaba. FINALLY! took them a good 6 years to try and make his motives a bit more justifiable

Now don't get me wrong, the season was great up until this episode. I'm just hoping that we can dive back into Underworld again where the story and season excels!
Nov 3, 2018 2:07 PM
Apr 2017
This season has been great and is shaping up to be the first great SAO series to date, but this episode was extremely weak. Every time the story strays outside of the underworld we end up in the weakest part of SAO, SAO. It's disappointing that they devoted an entire episode to exposition, and i truly hope that the rest of this season is handled better.
Nov 3, 2018 2:09 PM

Mar 2016
-Riptide- said:

Press F to pay respects

Lmao man. 🤣👌🏻

Anyways, this was really good episode. Loved the atmosphere and focus on the plot from the outside world’s perspective of things. Also more Asuna is always good.
Nov 3, 2018 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
i can only find one word that can define this episode: boring
Nov 3, 2018 2:27 PM
Oct 2012
FireFistYK said:
What a weak episode.

I felt like this season has been like a dream, it felt like SAO was finally living up to its potential and I sincerely hope that it does despite a weak 5th episode.

Kiritos mom for some reason have no emotions, this pissed me off more than anything. At least show her break down and cry instead of just go ahead and do the paperwork.

But made this such a bad episode is Yui, like always sigh. Your storytelling capacity must be horrible if you have to use an AI that somehow can hack into everything and give you information on anything to progress the story.
How can Rath security be so bad that Yui can just replace already existing profiles?

On a positive note, we got a bit more info on Kayaba. FINALLY! took them a good 6 years to try and make his motives a bit more justifiable

Now don't get me wrong, the season was great up until this episode. I'm just hoping that we can dive back into Underworld again where the story and season excels!

imo, this EP was very great and important.
a much needed episode that was handled quite nicely.
Kirito's aunt did cried in novel offsceen but there was just so much to show in this EP, they could not really spend time for some crying scene, plus she is an adult and already had a lot of family member like her sister died and kirito was unconscious for 2 damn year lol
she can control herself to do the main work and paperwork etc first.

also, First of all, Yui is too OP, so OP that Kikouka dude himself show interest and asked kirito and asuna several time if he could have yui for a while, they reject him tho.
she is also keep on growing more and more op, as she is like a super human with access to the net, she can learn and memories everything with 1 search.
Kirito have lines about feeling scared from yui a few time in the novel.

but all of these Aside ! Yui actually can't hack into Rath system, she failed to do so later when she try in the novel. what she hacked in this EP to change the profile for Asuna, was hacking into some university database, which is a normal university with no military or secret relation. so it's not a hard to hack system.

she just changed Dr's asistance's picture to Asuna in that university before Dr accepted the request. so the data Rath got from that university was already a fake data.
Nov 3, 2018 2:32 PM

Jul 2015
Probably a big infodump episode coming next week. Let's hope we won't die of boredom.

Nov 3, 2018 2:36 PM

Mar 2016
Pedram said:
FireFistYK said:
What a weak episode.

but all of these Aside ! Yui actually can't hack into Rath system, she failed to do so later when she try in the novel. what she hacked in this EP to change the profile for Asuna, was hacking into some university database, which is a normal university with no military or secret relation. so it's not a hard to hack system.

she just changed Dr's asistance's picture to Asuna in that university before Dr accepted the request. so the data Rath got from that university was already a fake data.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to say that. She just hacked into the university database to update the photo of the assistance before they went to the ocean. They mentioned it.
Nov 3, 2018 2:37 PM

Jan 2016
Pedram said:
FireFistYK said:
What a weak episode.

Kirito's aunt did cried in novel offsceen but there was just so much to show in this EP, they could not really spend time for some crying scene, plus she is an adult and already had a lot of family member like her sister died and kirito was unconscious for 2 damn year lol

also, First of all, Yui is too OP, so OP that Kikouka dude himself show interest and asked kirito and asuna several time if he could have yui for a while, they reject him tho.
she is also keep on growing more and more op, as she is like a super human with access to the net, she can learn and memories everything with 1 search.

Yea, but you see I'm watching the anime and criticizing that. So I don't care if she cried in the novel cause it was not portrayed in the adaptation. Things like this are what draws life into characters so I find them very important. Also, the fact that shes already lost family members just proves my point that she should be even more cautious and afraid because Kirito is all that she has left.

So we agree that shes OP right? End of the discussion then. In my opinion, she shouldn't first of all even exist because:

1. Her character arc wasn't good and marked as the downfall of the original SAO for me. If you enjoyed it, power to you!
2. After that shes just been used as this "cheat code" throughout every darn arc so that the story can progress, which is my biggest problem because that's laaaaaaaaaame.

I know that she indeed just changed the profile pic, but it still feels too easy. But she is Asunas "cheat" so I guess I shouldn't be complaining too much

Nov 3, 2018 2:52 PM
Oct 2012
FireFistYK said:
Pedram said:

Yea, but you see I'm watching the anime and criticizing that. So I don't care if she cried in the novel cause it was not portrayed in the adaptation. Things like this are what draws life into characters so I find them very important. Also, the fact that shes already lost family members just proves my point that she should be even more cautious and afraid because Kirito is all that she has left.

So we agree that shes OP right? End of the discussion then. In my opinion, she shouldn't first of all even exist because:

1. Her character arc wasn't good and marked as the downfall of the original SAO for me. If you enjoyed it, power to you!
2. After that shes just been used as this "cheat code" throughout every darn arc so that the story can progress, which is my biggest problem because that's laaaaaaaaaame.

I be honest with you, maybe it's coz I read the novel even before watching the anime in 2012.
but Yui was never a hated character for me.
plus i were able to receive some huge hint and foreshadowing throughout the story about Yui, which lead me to believe she will be much more than she is in the final arc of SAO after Alicization.
it seems author been building her up since long ago.

her existence is a completely unique existence, a once in a life-time chance of creating the strongest Top-down AI.
I'm a programmer myself, so I read a lot about AIs online and even read about Bottom-up and Top-down AIs in university.
basically a Top-down AI can grow the more data it can receive, but you can't just feed data or show it a movie for it to learn about emotion and become more human. it need to observe human interaction and monitor emotions for becoming more human. and the amount of data need to be HUGE, the bigger the closer she can be to humans.

Yui had the chance of monitoring and learning from 10000 human in a Death game which had humans in a intense emotional mood for 2 whole years. there is no way you can have so many human waste their time in a machine and let another A.I monitor them for such a long time to create another AI like yui.

We had this in the Movie too if u remember ! that guy wanted to take the memories of everyone in Aincrad to create a AI thats like a real copy of his daughter. the more memories he had the more human like she could be.
but Yui already have ALL those memories !

so in a way, she is even more Scary than the completely human like Bottom-up AI we see in this Alicization Arc.
She is OP, but she got a reason to be OP.
Nov 3, 2018 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
ThotSlayerSushi said:
Hahaha high school kids rule am i right guys

Let me just use my Virtual AI Fairy child to bypass government security and fly over to a secret project in the middle of the ocean

All in the power of love 😎

Asuna is already in college tho

MonkeyDMike said:
That was probably my least favourite episode. The harem is just boring to watch for me even if it is involved with important stuff. At least I liked the connection with Ordinal Scale and we got to see the place where everything takes place along with part of the crew that is involved in the whole STL project. Now I'm intrigued to see what exactly this thing does that can be useful for medical use.

There's no harem. lol Only Asuna have something to him, the others got shafted basically still in S1 (and S2 for Sinon)

Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode.

It was pretty interesting to see what happened in the real world after the events of episode 1.

It's real nice to see how everyone tried to figure out what happened and I liked that Asuna is finally getting some time to shine. She was kinda neglected as a lead heroine into sort of a bystander from the second half of S1, Ordinal Scale improved that a bit and it's nice to see that she has a much stronger role to play here.

I liked the scene where Yui told Asuna that it was her turn to find Kirito now.
I'm pretty none of us viewers would've been fooled by that Asuna disguise. Though I'm surprised how quickly they managed to get in considering the Doctor was supposed to be in California but hey not too big of a deal.

We also got some decent insight into what's going on behind the scenes so yeah well done. xD
Looking forward to next week to learn more about Project Alicization.

Well, that's not quite true. While Asuna was a damsel in Fairy Dance, she had participation in Phantom Bullet and then she was the main protagonist of Mother Rosario, being also one of the protagonists for Ordinal Scale like you said.
Nov 3, 2018 3:04 PM

Jan 2016
Pedram said:

I be honest with you, maybe it's coz I read the novel even before watching the anime in 2012.
plus i were able to receive some huge hint and foreshadowing throughout the story about Yui, which lead me to believe she will be much more than she is in the final arc of SAO after Alicization.

her existence is a completely unique existence, a once in a life-time chance of creating the strongest Top-down AI.
I'm a programmer myself, so I read a lot about AIs online and even read about Bottom-up and Top-down AIs in university.
basically a Top-down AI can grow the more data it can receive, but you can't just feed data or show it a movie for it to learn about emotion and become more human. it need to observe human interaction and monitor emotions for becoming more human. and the amount of data need to be HUGE, the bigger the closer she can be to humans.

Yui had the chance of monitoring and learning from 10000 human in a Death game which had humans in a intense emotional mood for 2 whole years. there is no way you can have so many human waste their time in a machine and let another A.I monitor them for such a long time to create another AI like yui.

We had this in the Movie too if u remember ! that guy wanted to take the memories of everyone in Aincrad to create a AI thats like a real copy of his daughter. the more memories he had the more human like she could be.

so in a way, she is even more Scary than the completely human like Bottom-up AI we see in this Alicization Arc.

Good explanation of AI and all, kinda hard to say anything after that hahaha
I get your point, but ultimately she still feels like a cheat like character which is used to progress the story, that's my problem with her. Like you said shes got a reason to be OP, and if I don't like that reason I can't like her as a character.

I'm also studying programming and software so I have a good insight into how things work and the technology they're using in case you think that my lack of info in that department is what's keeping me from enjoying Yui as a character
Nov 3, 2018 3:14 PM
Jul 2017
I loved this episode! Rinko helping Asuna was great and being able to pass through all that security was Yui I’m sure. When they got to the lab it was cool to see the Underworld on screen. Now Asuna can probably see his progress.
Nov 3, 2018 3:19 PM
Oct 2012
FireFistYK said:
Pedram said:

Good explanation of AI and all, kinda hard to say anything after that hahaha
I get your point, but ultimately she still feels like a cheat like character which is used to progress the story, that's my problem with her. Like you said shes got a reason to be OP, and if I don't like that reason I can't like her as a character.

I'm also studying programming and software so I have a good insight into how things work and the technology they're using in case you think that my lack of info in that department is what's keeping me from enjoying Yui as a character

well yeh, I can't also argue with you about her being used so far mostly as a cheat lol
even in novel which explained a bit more and she is a bit more useful and have a bigger role sometimes, she is mostly focused as the cute kid of Kirito and Asuna and a strong hacker that can help them when they hit a hard spot lol

while I myself don't get bothered by this that much, i can totally understand why you can not like this :D
Nov 3, 2018 3:32 PM

Feb 2014
Really nice episode. I echo what others are saying, it’s really great to see Asuna in an active role and seeing her take the initiative.The scene with Yui telling her that it’s her turn to save Kirito was a nice touch. Didn’t expect that scene with Rinko and Kayaba... so they were in THAT kind of relationship. He certainly had some layers.

Can’t wait to hear more about the project next episode!
Nov 3, 2018 4:15 PM

Jul 2013
I wasn't expecting Asuna to reveal her identity so soon...I'm concerned how this is gonna turn out, given the crazy intense security on that base. It wouldn't take much time at all for security to apprehend Asuna.
Nov 3, 2018 4:29 PM
Aug 2018
Ryuseishun said:
Stormiverse said:
Yea the episode but ok and all but can we take a moment to honor that CG helicopter?

Unlike the horrid CG we got in Overlord III xD

CG? I thought it was drawn using pastel colour
Nov 3, 2018 4:40 PM
Aug 2018
Ya, I like how they are taking more than 1 episode to explain what is going on in the real world.
Pretty much felt kinda emotional when yui told Asuna to not give up, just like kirito when he was searching for her in alfheim.
Well pretty slow paced nice episode it was.
Looking forward to know more about what this Alicization project is.
Nov 3, 2018 4:56 PM

Mar 2016
immortaluchiha said:
Ryuseishun said:

CG? I thought it was drawn using pastel colour

Huh? Pastel colour?
Nov 3, 2018 5:08 PM

Jan 2017
-Riptide- said:

Press F to pay respects

F
Can't need kirito but you nerfed suguha's breast. These are dark times.
Nov 3, 2018 5:09 PM

Jan 2017
A standard, informative episode. Can't go wrong with that.
In any case though, kirito is not OP... this has got to be addressed; the most OP IS YUI! GODAMMIT.
Let's put it into perspective through the following settings:
In the SAO world, but outside of the virtual worlds this is how I would care against the two

Scenario one.
In a house/building

Kirito vs. me,
we'd have a fist fight... Probably find an umbrella each and I'll probably stand a good chance; I've been doing boken training for so long
Yui vs. me,
If there are any electrical appliances I'm screwed; she'll hack the TV and when touch the remote. Bam. Dead.

Scenario two.
In an arena; weapon of personal choice

Kirito vs. me,
Kirito'll choose a sword, I'll choose an iron staff. Get the distance. Yeah, a good chance.
Yui vs. me
I'll choose an EMP, she'll choose a toaster; by the time I get a chance to use it, she'll have backed the toaster and burnt me to death

But seriously, how the hell is she able to bypass anything and everything :P
Can't wait for next week though.

They took away some cleavage

But they gave us this at least
tidoesstuffNov 3, 2018 5:44 PM
Nov 3, 2018 5:14 PM
Jan 2016
honestly one of the dullest most boring episode in this season, matching the second half of episode 1. This episode pretty much showcase that the real world aspect is honestly boring as hell. Dialogue that a human being will never say in that tone, Characterisation of characters thats already been butchered is laughable, Yui existence is straight up a deus ex machina and has some of the cringest dialogue and delivery i've seen in anime. But i can fault the script and yes i will but alot of the problems is how A1 is adapting this source material. Alot of this explain is fine for a LN but for a visual media like anime its constantly boring, the camera work and editing is mediocre. This showcase this director is an action director but can't handle talking scene in a realistic setting. This felt like an inverse of the season 1 where they no explaining this has too much to a fault. They some visual elements i enjoyed like the B/W scene the lighting was excellent. Alot of this episode is honestly just recap of knowledge we already knew or assumed. This episode could have easily been done in half the time and i think it honestly be better pacing wise. As a person who actually enjoyed last couple episode ep 2,3,4 this is definitely a step in the wrong direction.
Nov 3, 2018 5:21 PM

Apr 2018
The animation and directing during this ep made me feel like almost all the characters are robots and there was so many deformed faces

The only "good looking" scene was that after sex in bed scene

Anw it was a decent ep but it was kind if rushed too i guess 3/5

Second ep is still best ep
Nov 3, 2018 5:59 PM

Mar 2018
To be honest I didn't really like this episode. It was OK but there were things that were missing from the light novels like the ambulance part and added unnecessary things like involving the other characters (Silica, Lisbeth, etc.) There was also never any augma in the light novels but they probably just added it to avoid confusion from OS. I hope they adapt better next episode because I'm still loving this anime.
Nov 3, 2018 6:07 PM

Jan 2011
oh boy looks like i really am gonna have a love hate relationship with this season lol wasn't the biggest fan of this weeks episode ,mainly what Azsuna's End game plan is after sneaking onto a secret isolated facility lol
Nov 3, 2018 6:40 PM

Jul 2017
This episode is surely a huge departure from what was in the Underworld, but by no means bad.

So we end up re-winding back to Episode 1's ending with its continuation, and man, everyone sure had their faces reworked...and boy, Asuna, what a disguise you have! Pretty obvious tbh. The 'F' respects to Suguha apply.

So Kikuoka and the mysterious professor that is Kojiro set up Rath to proceed with Project Alicization...which will be the single-handledly most important plot now...next week then.
Nov 3, 2018 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
Asuna got pretty easily inside that super secure base.
Can we go back on the game episodes again? It was so interesting xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 3, 2018 7:02 PM

May 2015
Two anime referencing California this season...

Well Asuna got on the Ocean Turtle to find Kirito's whereabouts. Does Asuna get to spectate what happens to Kirito on that big screen?
Nov 3, 2018 7:36 PM
Nov 2018
Idk why now i hate that all girls they are fucking annoying i think this season not Will be with Asuna shion etc but fuck it
Nov 3, 2018 7:48 PM
Nov 2017
Is it just me or is kikouka hiding sth, I see no reason not to get asuna involved
This project was assisted by kayaba all this before now, even kirito gets to use the soul translator
Being unsure of time the machine existed and the amount of people using it.
A machine that uses the soul to run its program is quite something.
There is more to this.
The third guy involved could be.... Yh, the one from the movie?
Plus, asuna was hot tho, almost forgot .
Nov 3, 2018 7:58 PM
Nov 2015
So far this is my favorite episode in this overrated franchise. At first I couldn't remember where I'd seen the plot of Kirito's unconscious body being hidden until Yui told Asuna that Kirito never gave up on looking for her when *she* was going through the same thing. #Shade

But I do have to commend Asuna for being a down as girl, because she didn't give up on looking for him. The surprise twist near the end was actually good and Asuna's last words were simple yet powerful enough to leave you anticipating next week's episode.
Nov 3, 2018 8:00 PM
Sep 2016
That episode wasn't too great. The ending was awful writing.
Nov 3, 2018 8:01 PM
Nov 2017
Ryuseishun said:
Stormiverse said:
Yea the episode but ok and all but can we take a moment to honor that CG helicopter?

yh,this Time its awesome, the details in and on the helicopter was flawless
Nov 3, 2018 8:06 PM

Oct 2017
Just when SAO was getting a bit interesting, Asuna ruins it by trying to get him back...
Nov 3, 2018 8:20 PM
Nov 2017
Pedram said:
FireFistYK said:

yh, I do agree how useful she can be, it's so adorable having her in this and how useful she could be.
Being a subject created by kayaba, to some length I can call her a perfect AI being able to do some unimagined things I would say she is more of AI than she is, being able to pinpoint this location an AI like that even got kikouka requesting fr her for a moment
Nov 3, 2018 8:29 PM

Jan 2018
I love the writing in this season, it's more coherent than all the other arcs.
And about Suguha, maybe is just the shirt. ;)

A digital frontier to reshape the human condition.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

127 by Adr332 »»
Jan 19, 5:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.