Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you absolutely should/shouldn't binge watch

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Oct 30, 2018 10:19 AM
I'm curious what anime do you think should be watched in the span of one or two days and what anime should be enjoyed in a longer time frame. I'm aware this is purely subjective but I believe there should be at least few anime which should (or shouldn't for that matter) absolutely be binge watched.
For example:
Shouldn't be BW: Mushishi (one episode per week or longer), Tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge (one episode per two days), Barakamon
Should be BW: Hagane no Renkinjutsushi Broterhood, Gintama, Steins;Gate
Modified by JanPri, Oct 30, 2018 10:27 AM

Oct 30, 2018 10:23 AM

You should binge watch every long-series anime like Naruto, Fairy Tail, One Piece, and Detective Conan.

Oct 30, 2018 10:27 AM

Definitely binge shows that run throughout the year like one piece

As for shows you shouldn’t binge.. It varies from show to show in my experience ( i had no problem binging Barakamon in a day)

Modified by FireballKnuckle, Oct 30, 2018 10:37 AM

Oct 30, 2018 10:28 AM

You should binge "the whole anime is one big story" anime .
You shouldn't binge anime that has story arcs (you can binge one story arc but not 2 or more), "1 episode - 1 story" anime and SoL anime.

Oct 30, 2018 10:29 AM

You shouldn't binge-watch everything episodic like Mushishi.

Never binge Legend of the Galactic Heroes, your enjoyment of it would be greatly affected, most shounen shows in general like Hunter x Hunter as well as Jojo are great to binge watch.

None.

There is not a fucking difference.

i mean it won't take two days to binge-watch one piece but you still should

Die

Lately when it comes to 12-24 episode long anime, I try to watch it all in one day.

Anything longer than that and its gonna take me multiple days.

Oct 30, 2018 10:31 AM

Don't binge:
Comedy.
Especially those that are not that funny, but has an actual plot progressing forward.

Slice of life that takes place at school.
Unless the plot is really dark, it gets boring quite quickly.

Binge:
Ones with good plots and 13+ episodes.
Better finish them all at once if the story pulls you in.

Oct 30, 2018 10:35 AM

Should binge: Any long-run shounen battle anime.
Shouldn't binge: SoL and CGDCT. You'll get bored really quick and dilute your judgement to the show. Shows like Barakamon or Lucky Star should be watched only one or two episodes per day.

Oct 30, 2018 10:44 AM
△☹▽

I binge watch pretty much everything. Anime with 10-13 episodes i usually finish in 1-2 days and 22-26 episode anime i usually finish in 3-4 days.

The only anime's I don't binge watch are long running series like Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Bleach etc. I often watch 1 or 2 anime's in between arcs or watch other anime alongside it so I don't get completely brunt out.

Oct 30, 2018 10:45 AM
There really isn't any rule that applies to everyone. Sometimes I like to binge slice of life or episodic stuff, sometimes I don't.

Personally I always try to binge battle shounen tho. It's the best way to watch them imo.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Oct 30, 2018 10:47 AM
Bakemonogatari was extremely difficult for me to binge watch. That's mainly because I tried to pause and read every little on screen text. That's pretty much the only anime I had difficulty's watching 3+ episodes in a row.

Binge worth anime for me was Gintama, especially when I had a bad day, Gintama was there for me. I could easily watch multiple episodes in one go.

Also Baccano! There was a rewatch on reddit and that's when I decided to give that anime a go. Needles to say, I could not keep with their peace, I had to binge watch because otherwise I wouldn't understand it all.

For me Binge watch is 6+ episodes. Watching more in one go is challenging no matter what anime I watch.

Oct 30, 2018 10:52 AM

RapidShadow said:
Never binge Legend of the Galactic Heroes, your enjoyment of it would be greatly affected, most shounen shows in general like Hunter x Hunter as well as Jojo are great to binge watch.

I actually finished LotGH in 2 weeks, I was hooked AF and ended up being my favorite show. I loved every second of it.

Oct 30, 2018 10:53 AM
Grim Anime Fan

Binge as long it's enjoyable. If it starts wearing off, take a break from 1 anime for some time.

It Anime itself is boring, then you can drop it whenever binging or not.

For long running series I usually binge watch few arcs and then take few months break...etc..

Oct 30, 2018 10:55 AM

Easy to binge show are most shounens and romcoms.

Hard to binge are slice of lifes (most of them, some can be binged) or shows that can get repetitive.

And it depends, sometimes mystery shows or thrilles can be hard to let go when you start them if they are good.

BTW right now I'm watching City hunter and I think that it's a good show to binge.

Oct 30, 2018 10:58 AM
Intree

I rarely binge anything expect shounen, and that just when I REALLY good, Bakuman. is an example, every other good battle shounen (not Black Clover)

Oct 30, 2018 11:02 AM

When I watch anime. I always Binge....

Oct 30, 2018 11:12 AM

Easy to binge: shounen anime like Shokugeki no Souma and mostly sports anime, battle shounen like HxH.
Hard to binge: iyashikei anime like Aria and Mushishi especially when you're a fan of action, thriller, and plot-driven shows.

比較は
喜びの泥棒

Oct 30, 2018 11:23 AM

I would binge watch anime such as Juni Taisen Zodiac War and take my time on Saga of Tanya the Evil
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko

Oct 30, 2018 12:29 PM

There are anime that are slow paced by purpose. I'm not sure wtaching Bartender from the beginning to end in one or even day will make it any fun.

Oct 30, 2018 1:24 PM
Slumber

Yeah i see no reason not to binge anything.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Oct 30, 2018 1:40 PM
It depends from person to person and on the anime. I usually binge anything, if I feel like it. Although that's usually easier on stories with stronger plots as opposed to more episodic shows. I usually want some kind of closure before going to sleep(more generally stopping that watching session) and therefore finish the story(or at least arc).

Oct 30, 2018 1:51 PM

Well I'm not binging HxH and even don't watch it daily but I'm really enjoying it so it doesn't really matter for me but mostly don't like to binge either

Oct 30, 2018 1:57 PM

Should marathon:
Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Wagnaria, Macross Frontier.

Shouldn't marathon:
The Vision of Escaflowne, Hyouka, Kimagure Orange Road, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, City Hunter, Kaitou Saint Tail, SDF Macross, Rurouni Kenshin.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.

Oct 30, 2018 2:00 PM

I hate binging, or even watching more than 3 episodes of an anime because it tires my mind and I need variations; that's why I don't watch two straight episodes the same anime if binge watching. So for me every single anime existent in the world is un-bingeable for me. I even surprise myself that I mostly cruise the Hi-Score challenge without too much problems.

I wouldn't recommend to binge-watch Yuru Camp (actually Lazy Camp) because is so relaxing (and boring) that you may fall asleep.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.

Oct 30, 2018 2:04 PM

I usually marathon most series that I watch-it makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience for me.
Life Is Short But Intense.

Oct 30, 2018 2:09 PM

Because of their repetitive nature, most episodic shows should never be binge watched.

Oct 30, 2018 2:13 PM

I think Gintama is a bad move to binge watch, it was specifically made to be watched in slowly, a lot of people comments that it wasn't good from the first to fiftieth episode because of that, I truly appreciated re-watching it after doing it slowly instead of trying to catch up to the latest episode of it.

Oct 30, 2018 2:16 PM

Kaiji should be binge watched, there's no other way to watch it (and you can't anyways)

Oct 30, 2018 2:19 PM

Really it doesn't matter, but for me, Arc-based shows shouldn't be binge watched

'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Oct 30, 2018 2:29 PM

Doesn't really matter but imo binging anything other then a shounen can sometimes be pretty diff.

Oct 30, 2018 2:59 PM
Should: possibly battle shonen, for a relevant example AoT (just pick your poison) if it's like a 24+ season or several one cour seasons, make time for the first cour, yes battle shonen has a simple, repetitive and easy to deconstruct formula but it seems to work for the most popular ones, and a lot of them get a dynamic plot by the end of a cour, eren's mysterious titan powers is one, and another is BNHA's league of villians reveal at the end of season one. If the first cour has you still interested, finish the rest over the next couple of days if you can

Shouldn't: Watamote. If you want to create an absolute shell of a person, just lock someone in a room with a tv, a DVD/bluray player and a copy of Watamote. I have no human feelings left, I should know

Oct 30, 2018 4:17 PM

I binge watch literally anything but I can say that watching 24 episodes of HxH was more enjoyable than watching all of Watamote in a day (it got depressing and repetetive really quickly).
But I think you should binge watch whatever you find interesting.

Oct 30, 2018 6:55 PM

I can binge pretty much everything, besides two things- Aria, which is something you must take your time on (and any other episodic slower SoL, such as Mushishi, Natsume Yuujinchou, or Kino's Journey), and Clannad on my rewatches since I love it too much.

The things that seem really easy to binge are more fast-paced and/or action series, like FMAB or Fate:Zero.

Oct 30, 2018 10:56 PM

DaCraziGuy said:
RapidShadow said:

I actually finished LotGH in 2 weeks, I was hooked AF and ended up being my favorite show. I loved every second of it.

IDK I had a completely different experience, I watched 75 episodes in the span of 3 months and then I completed the rest in 4 days, I'd say the last part with the terraism thing kind of makes it boring which shouldn't be binged.

Oct 31, 2018 7:40 AM

Yep, long running series are better suited for binge watching.
That goes for episodic shows too. Like Detective Conan has arcs of 2 maximum 3 episodes (very few exceptions) but it's suitable for marathoning.

About Mushishi.
It's episodic but not repeatable. Every case is a totally different puzzle.
Also it's such a good anime that that you will wish to savoir it longer. Same with Kino no Tabi (2003).

Natsume is very similar to Mushishi but surprisingly very suitable for binge watching.

Maybe the main criterion is how much events or complex ideas you got by episode.
Some shows are so rich that it takes some time for your brain to process the content. If you binge watch those you risk to miss important ideas or nuances.

Also the mood plays very important role. Sometimes you can concentrate for longer watching more serious/dense titles. Sometimes you just want to relax with something airheaded and whimsical.

Oct 31, 2018 7:43 AM

I dont give a fck tbh.I can EASILY forget an anime if I dont watch it in more than 3 days.So yeah,I binge watch everything.

Oct 31, 2018 7:49 AM

Code Geass should definitely be binge watched, otherwise your involvement in the story and interest in the characters starts to decline and by the time you get back to it you start going "wait a minute, that doesn't make much sense."

Katanagatari is much better if you watch an episode a day or something, it gives you something to look forward to.

Oct 31, 2018 9:54 AM

I think all anime are best watched on a binge with a few exceptions:

1. Anything that has more than one contained 'story' - things that have multiple story arcs and are usually muti-coor (Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, etc.). That being said you should still binge one arc at a time

2. Anything with the Slice of Life genre tag - those stories are purposely meant to be slower-paced with no huge overarching narrative so they are best enjoyed slowly (slow-burn)

Oct 31, 2018 10:07 AM

You absolutely should binge watch Death Note (the first 24 episodes) and you absolutely shouldn't binge read kyou kara ore wa.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Oct 31, 2018 10:10 AM

Generally episodic shows are better watching slowly, maybe a day at a time, whereas arc based shows tend to be better binges. At least for me. I've actually seen points where a show shifted from episodic to arc based and that changed how I watched the show.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good

Oct 31, 2018 10:11 AM

One piece is more enjoyable when bingewatching. Waiting weekly for new episode is a pain in the ass.
Especially if the progress made is small.

Oct 31, 2018 11:19 AM
Well shounen shows are pretty good for binge watching for example long ones like example one piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc.
In my opinion slice of Life and Drama Anime are you shouldn't binge watch.

Oct 31, 2018 11:22 AM

I feel that the only anime I can think of that shouldn't be binge watched is jojo because of the marvelous opening changes
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Oct 31, 2018 11:36 AM

> Anime you absolutely should/shouldn't binge watch

I find that mystery shows like Occultic;Nine feel very different when you spend time between episodes guessing what's going on.

On the other hand, I suggest binge-watching Strike Witches at least once. That way, you'll get used to panties, and a little fanservice in other shows would no longer disturb your train of thought.

Oct 31, 2018 1:14 PM

RapidShadow said:
DaCraziGuy said:

IDK I had a completely different experience, I watched 75 episodes in the span of 3 months and then I completed the rest in 4 days, I'd say the last part with the terraism thing kind of makes it boring which shouldn't be binged.

In my case I started slowly until the episode were the invasion to the empire begin, when I reached the episode of the random soldier I said to myself: "oh yeah, I found a masterpiece" and binged the rest XD

In my case the most "boring part" was the beginning because it's just a massive cast introduction and to set the plot in motion. After that I can say I enjoyed all of it. BUT I understand why someone would waant to watch it slow, it's pretty dense and you need to pay atention, besides politcs it's not something that everyone enjoy.

Oct 31, 2018 2:54 PM

Slow paced, episodic shows that place a lot of value on characters and atmosphere should usually not be binge watched imo because you'll form a better bond to it if you give it time.
dis sum gud shit

Nov 1, 2018 9:25 AM

You shouldn't bingewatch episodic stories at all, not only Mushishi.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »