Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Oct 26, 2018 5:46 PM

In episode 4, did anyone else get the impression that the show was using fictional characters to sell a real product? The way they gushed over the merits of Saganship Z, and the way everyone LOVED it, made me think that this show (or at least this episode) was intended as a marketing stunt. The optimist in me is thinking that the product does not actually exist, and the show is just parodying other shows that try to do the same thing... but that was what we all thought about the CGI in episode 3, up until they unironically used it again in episode 4 (and will probably continue to use it later on). So I have to wonder if Saganship Z is a real product, with a real phamaceutical company based in Saga. If it is, then I think we all just watched an animated 24 minute infomercial, with a side of zombie humor.

Another part of me believes that the entire show *is* about an idol group trying to revive Saga, just like the plot of the show says, but the catch is that the animated fictional idol group is trying to revive the real life Saga through using this anime as an advertisement. It is showcasing places and businesses in the Saga area in an attempt to bring in money/people/tourists/new businesses. As admirable an effort as that is, I can already see the entertainment value of the show taking a drastic downturn from the first two episodes. If they focus too much on pimping out their hometown, the comedy will suffer and the marketing campaign will fail. If that happens the real life Saga could very well remain in decline, a dying area, a... dare I say... zombie land.

Oct 27, 2018 1:58 AM
Seems like they're just making fun of shows that push products so aggressively. At first I was like "it's a joke" then I started doubting it so I went on google and looked up the bloody miracle patch thingy, it don't be. So yeah I guess it is just a joke after all.

Dec 13, 2018 1:09 PM

Another part of me believes that the entire show *is* about an idol group trying to revive Saga, just like the plot of the show says, but the catch is that the animated fictional idol group is trying to revive the real life Saga through using this anime as an advertisement. It is showcasing places and businesses in the Saga area in an attempt to bring in money/people/tourists/new businesses. As admirable an effort as that is, I can already see the entertainment value of the show taking a drastic downturn from the first two episodes. If they focus too much on pimping out their hometown, the comedy will suffer and the marketing campaign will fail. If that happens the real life Saga could very well remain in decline, a dying area, a... dare I say... zombie land.

Hmm very interesting thought. That could really be the case. Another Idol show about horse-girls was seen by western audience as a joke, but in Japan - horse races are a BIG thing, so them making an anime about it was very smart idea, considering how popular the subject is. Zombieland Saga might really be an advertisement of Saga, considering how they're showcasing actual places, and sometimes even videos of real people lol.