Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Angels of Death
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 3, 2019 10:36 PM

Nov 2013
Chiibi said:
Okay..........

FOR ANYONE CONFUSED, THIS IS THE TRUE ENDING FROM THE NOVELS.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

DO YA

SHIP IT

YET

Thank you so much for clarifying everything. You saved my day! ^^
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Feb 6, 2019 6:33 PM

Nov 2008
@KRKodama

Twas my pleasure. xD

I am into this fandom like really hard.

Mar 6, 2019 8:27 AM

Nov 2018
Thanks for the clarification. The whole thing would be much darker if this ended with Rachel suicided lol. But then again, it's up to anyone who's seen this to interpret it the way that they like. This is definitely one dark and quite unique one that I've watched so far.
Mar 25, 2019 6:21 PM
Mar 2019
Just finish watching. 😥
Apr 9, 2019 3:23 AM
Mar 2019
I did not expect this sad ending what is the good thing about the heroine's death?. I thought they would live in peace and they would fall in love.
Apr 26, 2019 12:18 PM

Jul 2007
Wow what a great ending. I was only believing what my eyes showed me but thanks for opening my mind, you guys. Not that I like that Ray kills herself but it's such an awesome ending after everything she lived with Zack and knowing now he's dead. Just, wow.
Apr 26, 2019 12:20 PM

Jul 2007
Chiibi said:
Okay..........

MORE IMPORTANTLY

DO YA

SHIP IT

YET

Thank youuuuu. And the ship is still going strong, I love them to pieces! I want to believe they are escaping now and just super happy together!
Apr 27, 2019 6:26 PM

Nov 2008
sarah2020 said:
I did not expect this sad ending what is the good thing about the heroine's death?

Don't worry; they are both alive.

May 28, 2019 2:42 PM

Sep 2008
Chiibi said:
Don't worry; they are both alive.

Thaaaank you for the clarification! <3 Yay!
Jun 6, 2019 10:55 PM

Jun 2017
I enjoyed watching this and seeing what happened next! Although she kept asking Zack to kill her, I was actually surprised when it happened (or didn't happen, I'm glad they are actually alive as someone mentioned above). I had also thought Rachel was gonna kill the counselor too. 8/10 :)
yura_marinetteJun 6, 2019 11:05 PM
Jun 7, 2019 1:39 PM

May 2015
Just finished re-watching Angels of Death and I really like how they leave it open ended for the viewer to interpret cause if we actually saw Rachel get killed I would be unhappy even though that's the whole plot of the anime.

Played the game as well they're exactly the same but still enjoyed going through the story again.

Rachel X Zack FTW !!
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 13, 2019 12:56 AM
Mar 2016
My heart was racing throughout the entire episode!! The ending scene was perfect.
Jun 17, 2019 5:56 AM
Mar 2016

DO YA

SHIP IT

YET

Nope, I find the two adorable but I definitely don't ship them. I see their relationship as more of a "older brother and younger sister" type of thing. I get the sense of a familial bond between them. People are too quick to ship something the moment they see two characters bond. I really can't ship them especially when taking their ages into consideration. Big bro Zack and Little sis Rachel for the win!
Kitty_AngoraJun 17, 2019 6:07 AM
Jun 30, 2019 8:16 AM
Apr 2019
ErnaGhoul said:
Wow, that was emotional. That was quite a ride.
So he killed her in the end?
8/10

Don't you think the story is kinda incomplete?? I mean they just left from a place that was surrounded by police men plus what will happen to their relationship!!!! This is deriving me crazy
Jul 14, 2019 5:22 AM

May 2016
Well...that was a rather underwhelming outcome to experience after everything they've been through. At least they managed to meet again all of a sudden and fulfill that promise of theirs. It would've been better if it wasn't so vague and just showed the two of them being dead and happy in each other's arms though.

Aug 14, 2019 9:50 AM
Jan 2018
Really great closer to this anime

As lots of people have mixed ideas about the ending they went with in the anime,

My idea is Zack never actually existed alongside Rachel, during Rachels flashback she tells that she blacks out and then she always gets what she wants after fixing it, This blacking out is Zack manifesting and killing does that harmed her or never could belong to her, in the psychic prison this manifestation creates Zack as the character we learn to know, but i reality it is still Rachel
Nov 22, 2019 2:00 PM

Jun 2015
I was seriously about to cry until I saw Zack alive and kicking
and shouting
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 1, 2020 9:19 PM
Oct 2019
Can someone spoil me the end from the manga? I'm too lazy to read it and curious as hell as to what happens next. Would be highly appreciated.
Apr 21, 2020 3:01 PM

Nov 2016
The ending that most of us really wanted and it's fitting for the anime because it wouldn't be right to separate the two after all they went through .

I loved the ending and all the events that led to it with a bit of comedy and sarcasm , The characters were respectfully great ( Just disliked Danny a bit ) and the story itself was not that complicated but rather kind of unique and crazy .

The sequence of the events was understandable and not too rushed which in the end led to the beautiful desired ending <3 It was a fun watch :) .
May 19, 2020 4:03 AM

Jul 2013
You know I would have been sold on this if the entire show was basically in her head. There were so many unrealistic things that happened and honestly the majority of the show feels fake and unnatural. Which would be great if you put out the theory that she was in that psychiatric hospital the entire time and her father killing her mother in front of her and then her killing her father were the cause of all her hallucinations and we were just seeing those.

It would be great if the whole big reveal at the end was this, but apparently based on what @chiibi said above in her spoiler post from the novels I just don't see that being the case which honestly makes 90% of this show feel extremely unnatural considering how many buckets of blood Zack was able to spill and how the doctor tongue guy dude was able to survive anything that happened to him no matter what.

The show making this all be in her head would work great from someone who is mentally ill and potentially schizophrenic because then none of the weird stupid stuff would matter in terms of realisticness and would even work as foreshadowing.

I hope you didn't mind me @ ing you chiibi. I am fine with people loving this show but man the ending was almost extremely impressive because it would make the entire show viewed from another lense on a re-watch but sadly I guess not if the novels are the true ending.
May 19, 2020 9:22 AM

Nov 2008
Calal-Chan said:

I hope you didn't mind me @ ing you chiibi.

No, I don't mind but I've always hated "the whole thing was a dream" trope...because it always feels like a giant middle finger to the audience. :/

So I'm glad it's not like that at all. Though I do agree the stuff that happens is pretty unnatural...I'm okay with it since it's based on a video game. The Higurashi series is like that too...

May 19, 2020 3:31 PM

Jul 2013
Chiibi said:
Calal-Chan said:

I hope you didn't mind me @ ing you chiibi.

No, I don't mind but I've always hated "the whole thing was a dream" trope...because it always feels like a giant middle finger to the audience. :/

So I'm glad it's not like that at all. Though I do agree the stuff that happens is pretty unnatural...I'm okay with it since it's based on a video game. The Higurashi series is like that too...

Yeah I usually hate the it is all a dream too, but it would have been an interesting analysis for sure. Thanks for being reasonable :)
May 19, 2020 9:24 PM

Nov 2008
@Calal-Chan

Not a prob :3

There is a prequel manga titled Episode 0...so I think it might give some answers like about why the building is the way it is and why Gray decided to do what he did...

But Zack and Ray are barely in it so I'm not super-motivated to read it. xD

May 19, 2020 9:41 PM

Jul 2013
Chiibi said:
@Calal-Chan

Not a prob :3

There is a prequel manga titled Episode 0...so I think it might give some answers like about why the building is the way it is and why Gray decided to do what he did...

But Zack and Ray are barely in it so I'm not super-motivated to read it. xD

Yeah they were the most interesting part of the show for me too. And honestly motivation for Gray doesn't interest me much xD
May 22, 2020 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
hanyuhi16 said:
Chiibi said:
Okay..........

MORE IMPORTANTLY

DO YA

SHIP IT

YET

Thank youuuuu. And the ship is still going strong, I love them to pieces! I want to believe they are escaping now and just super happy together!

Nothing like a 13 year old fucking off with a murderer.
Jun 11, 2020 9:30 AM
Feb 2019
Eu acho que foi suicido tipo meio impossível que ele sem armas tenha conseguido fugir e pegar outra foice como as grades eram de madeira, no final parece que ela quebrou com a faca do lado de dentro até quebrar a janela e provavelmente imaginar o resto mas a hipótese de terem se matado também é válida...
Esse anime sim que soube fazer um final ambíguo kkk geralmente não gosto mas esse até que foi legal 8/10 para o anime
InfiernoKJun 11, 2020 9:34 AM
Jul 28, 2020 8:29 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty much insane serial killer was the most sane person in this anime
Jul 30, 2020 7:39 PM

Apr 2018
Holy shit that ending was perfect in my opinion cause it lets you imagine what actually happened. To be honest both of these theories could have happened where she killed herself because she knew Zack was dead or Zack actually saved her with a new scythe. The new scythe I believed was given to Grey and he somehow survived the whole explosion that Danny Set off. Danny's body was probably the only one found in the facility/building. Honesty in my opinion I would say that Zack actually survived and lived with Rachel but a part of me also says that she committed suicide.
KarsaaaJul 30, 2020 7:47 PM
Sep 18, 2020 5:56 PM
Jun 2013
wow what a dull show. It was entertaining until they finished off the last psycho lady. There was no one to care about as our two leads are ether annoying or unlikable or both. Also who ever wrote this story comes off as one of those people who writes to serial killers in jail and falls in love with them. I found nothing sweet about their relationship.
souledge94Sep 18, 2020 6:01 PM
Oct 20, 2020 3:30 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
it started so good and rly ended boring me ... 6/10 just bcs bloody scenes all over the anime <3

Oct 30, 2020 10:59 AM

Nov 2017
Magnificent episode! The reunion between Rachel and Zack is sad.
Dec 23, 2020 4:38 AM

Apr 2020
Damn, that was good. The series overall is quite mediocre, but the ending is rock solid. I'm still inclined to believe that all wasn't Rachel's hallucinations or anything, I mean, the whole show was filled with bizzare stuff like that. Come on, Zack was lying on the floor bleeding for hours and survived after Ray stiched him up. So, yeah, that's basically that.
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Jan 2, 2021 5:46 PM

Oct 2020
2/10 what a waste of time
Zack's character design is really neat though
Jan 2, 2021 11:36 PM
Apr 2020
Oh come on now.. Why will you leave at that? You can literally make an actual ending with that finale for an atleast 2-5 minutes more and y'all decided to make this " I let you decided of what the real ending is " thing? I'm dissapointed..

It's a great anime, honestly. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Only THAT ending ruined it all.

I'll give it a 7/10 consideration score. Really, if only, the ending is not like that, this would've been one of the masterpiece that J.C. Staff made (at least for me). . .
Jan 14, 2021 6:45 AM
Aug 2015
Mixed emotions about the last episode.
I like that they both escaped the building I was honestly rooting for them the whole time.
I think deep down Ill just say they escaped together I loved the last little scene as they jumped through the window it was so sweet <3

I ship it.

I love how their relationship has changed over the episodes and they both show more human emotion for each other.
Jan 17, 2021 12:31 PM

Jul 2012
thank god that's over, i haven't felt this frustrated and annoyed over an anime in a long time....

so much potential.. smh
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Feb 11, 2021 8:29 PM
Jan 2020
So I looked up the ending and what really happened and zach being an illusion Rachel created after mentally breaking at the news of his death is sad, but oh well.
Jun 24, 2021 11:46 AM

Jun 2019
My 147th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 5/10 rating.
Jul 7, 2021 7:20 PM
May 2021
i'm kinda hoping that zack never kills ray... and they end up living on the run, or in a forest somewhere.
Jul 14, 2021 10:42 PM
Jan 2021
when i start watching 1st episode i think its gonna be a good anime with best plot but but man its so boring and literally till the end it doesnt even make any sense in story what is happening why is happening, what the sense of it , fights scene is so horrible,characters are so bad just zack character has some good points ,only i like few scene only ,for me this anime is so horrible .
Aug 30, 2021 6:37 AM

May 2020
I wonder if the blood at the ending and the knife was meant to imply that she killed herself ? I don't know what exactly happened in the original but there's no reason for this adaptation to have gone a different path and imply that she killed herself.

I would analyze this ending in more detail if I thought this series had an actual logic to it. This show was pretty boring and the character's are pretty much stock characters from any of Japan's other edgy psychological horror properties.
Sep 12, 2021 9:36 AM
Sep 2020
Hmm idk how people find this ending good.
(THIS IS MY OPINION)
She killer her self, Zack died (execution), that part when Zack broke the window and take her with him wasn't real (he has the scythe with him and how tf he escape prison lol), i think that was what she wanted but not the reality, when she jumped out the window, she imagined that part with Zack.
Nov 1, 2021 4:34 PM
Aug 2008
Game ending aside, the blood in the post-credits anime scene shouldn't be Zack's, even if he does have a wound on his leg. The last thing we see after they jump out the window is a clean windowsill:

Credits roll, and then it cuts to this:

So either...

1. Animators goofed
2. Zack granted her wish. He either gave her the means to kill herself (see below) OR killed her mid-air, blood flying.
3. A delusional Ray cut through the bars with a knife, crawled over the broken shards and tossed herself out. The entire bit with Zack was a hallucination -- her mind finding a way to reconcile the act of suicide, which she always refused in the past.

Option 2, realistic: Zack actually escaped (Father Grey gave him a new scythe and -- for some reason -- his old outfit).

Option 2, supernatural: After execution, Zack truly became an angel of death. He returned long enough to give the knife to Ray. She used it to cut through the bars (plausible in this anime's reality) and flung herself out the window/into his arms, falling to her death and making their promise come true. A really dark "miracle."

Option 3 is the darkest: Ray's mind snaps after hearing about Zack's death sentence from the radio and doctor, and she commits suicide.

"There was nothing left to do but close my eyes," she says.

Everything after that moment is a hallucination. In reality, Ray's broken the bars, dragged herself over the shattered pieces, and tossed herself out. The scream, the cop cars -- are all part of the fantasy of her dying mind.

Biggest question with Option 3 is how the hell did she get the knife? I guess you'd have to assume she somehow had it hidden on her person when brought to the institution. Kind of ridiculous, but this story had a habit of stretching reality, so... Either way, much as I loved them both, option 3 felt the most plausible (but heartbreaking).

Cynical_PinkNov 2, 2021 7:46 PM
Nov 2, 2021 6:27 AM

Jun 2021
There's no doubt about it. For those wanting to fantasize a happy ending , it was left open. But to me it was pretty clear.

She hid the knife with herself ik most people would disagree but remember when she pulled out her gun Outta nowhere from her bag? Assume something similar

She was diagnosed with mental disorder and hence the hallucination makes perfect sense.

She waited for Zack to come but she knew inside that he won't. Then the radio and her therapist said he was executed and she was distraught and used the very last backup to kill herself because with that level of mental sickness maybe death was easier for her.

She broke the window with her knife(hence no blood on the knife as it would have been impossible to break it otherwise) and jumped from the window(barefoot, and hence blood on the pane) committing Suicide, all while hallucinating that Zack has come for her. This didn't break the promise and she gets to die from his hands. I think it was perfect. 8 on 10 for me
Jan 1, 2022 3:10 PM
Dec 2021
Incredible anime!!! I adore zack so fucking much, He is so perfect, sexy, strong. I love him!!!! I was about to faint when i heard him dead but thank goodness he was alive, i was so happy to see him alive, i shed a few tears seeing him again. I hope he lives after the ending. I adore zack.
Apr 17, 2022 11:59 AM
May 2020
why is the rating so low? it was good tho. i luv the theories under this episode bec-- same, i have a lot in mind but overall, im satisfied with it.
May 18, 2022 10:34 AM
Jan 2017
ahhh poor Danny,
just same like rachel, he doing thing just be loved by someone and got motivation to doing anything ,,
i fell sad for both them even what they do is scary and wrong but they have my big respect as villain and victim,,

Just finish Rewatched the series from 2018 and i realized that no similar anime has good story like this, and im change my score from 7 to 9 cause the story and the character has unique side that no exist in other works and really make me cry for some reason, really touched for my hearth,
but for the cliffhanger ending im bit confusing, did zack really kill Ray in that day,,
i dont play the game or reading the manga so idk,,
anyone who know what really happen to them please tell me,,,
Jun 22, 2022 8:03 PM

May 2020
It's all fun and games until post credit scene rolls. That's f** up, well it's f** up since the start anyway.
Jul 14, 2022 3:59 PM

Jan 2020
Dear lord it's about to be over. When I picked this back up this morning I never would've imagined I was going to dislike this so much. I figured it'd stay average pretty much throughout, but it showed me.

I almost would've liked this more if they had the experience in the Cathedral be a sort of surreal, mental adventure that Rachel had rather than just be an on-the-nose stay and play type thing. Having it be what it is and not a dream or psychosis just makes it so one-dimensional. Also, if it had been mostly in her head, that could've explained some of the more ridiculous things that happened, as well as some of the plot holes.

Then, when Zack and Rachel stepped out of their prison and appeared in a random city street, it was jarring. Like, "What the fuck?" You'd almost expect that place to be more isolated. There was a sense of loss in the mystique of the whole situation. Like the atmosphere they'd spent all this time building up just -- poof -- up and ghosted on us. It was rather disappointing.

I will say, I was half expecting Rachel's new councilor to be obsessed with her eyes as well. Or like, I wouldn't have been surprised if the new lady was like Danny in a wig or some shit, lmao. But alas, it wasn't to be.

Overall, the animation and sound were okay, but the plot was just horrendous. Honestly, considering how much I disliked this series, Zack probably had some of the best voice acting I've heard in some time. I just couldn't get on board with the story and I could care less about the characters.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Sep 11, 2022 8:04 AM

Apr 2020
I feel like I would have liked this anime if it came out and watched when I was a teenager.
It's been a long time since I was this bothered by a show.
It feels like it had potential but then it's trying so hard to be edgy that it feels like comedy and not the good type.
4/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Satsuriku no Tenshi Episode 1 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

36 by Elise_Eleanor237 »»
Mar 22, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Satsuriku no Tenshi Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2018

69 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Nov 2, 2023 9:09 AM

» Is it good or bad?

egosumjohn - Jul 31, 2023

30 by IkaruFox »»
Sep 16, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Satsuriku no Tenshi Episode 4 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

25 by Waifuspls547 »»
Sep 8, 2023 9:22 AM

» How the tf ?

Bruh-__- - Feb 21, 2022

33 by Neostorm-X »»
Mar 8, 2023 11:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.