Forum Settings
Forums

What's the first anime you would recommend for a non-anime fan?

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Oct 22, 2018 7:35 AM

I showed Prison School to a friend, he loved it. I just told him not to mention to anyone at work that he likes it. He didn't quite get slice of life like girls last tour.

Oct 22, 2018 7:37 AM

it depends on the person you're recommending it to. it's a long one to start with but i reckon fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood can hook anyone up easily. or one punch man; that one's just really fun tbh.

Oct 22, 2018 8:22 AM

death note
i feel like anyone would like it

Oct 22, 2018 8:35 AM

For the intellectuals, I recommend something like Girls und Panzer, or maybe Hibike and for the casuals it'd be more along the lines of Hunter x Hunter and whatever is the coolest shonen on streaming services right now (I wouldn't know).

Oct 22, 2018 10:43 AM

It depends on what genres the person likes, but i'd point them towards Cowboy Bebop first personally.

Oct 22, 2018 10:48 AM

Little Witch Academia, anything Ghibli, Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Madoka Magica, Girls' Last Tour

Oct 22, 2018 11:21 AM
fma or little witch academia aaaaaaaaa

Oct 22, 2018 11:25 AM

I'd first ask what other stuff they like, or what they are in the mood for.

But without other information...probably Eureka Seven.

Oct 22, 2018 11:30 AM
Well there are demographics so I guess if to anyone a very demographic neutral series. Like Deathnote or Attack on Titan.
If recommending Shounen probably My Hero Academia or Assassination Classroom.
If Seinen Ajin or Hinamatsuri.
I can't reccomend any Shoujo or Josei anime cause I only read manga for those demographics.

Oct 22, 2018 11:35 AM

What about Guardian of the Sacred Spirit? It's kind of Ghiblish, and a great story, too.

Oct 22, 2018 11:39 AM

It would depend a lot on the specific person I was recommending to. The best candidate, I think, would probably be Monster. Aside from being just very, VERY good, it's fairly well-grounded and realistic, and the serious and often dark tone introduces fans to the idea that animation can be something other than kids' shows or Family Guy-esque shock comedies.

Other picks would be Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and Princess Jellyfish.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider

Oct 22, 2018 11:43 AM

It depends on the persons personality, I'd choose something that would suit their tastes and make them interested in the story.
If it was for someone like me, I'd start off with movies, probably from Ghibli or other standalone films and then gradually move on to longer series, 12 eps then 24.
It's all about if the persons likes and expectations are met. Showing them something with intense fighting scenes or moving, realistic situations would also make them more attached to the feelings they've got during the showing and make them hungry for more.
Modified by xHoney, Oct 22, 2018 11:47 AM

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm

Oct 22, 2018 11:43 AM

That would depend on what they're in to, but in general:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Seirei no Moribito
Fate/Zero
3-Gatsu no Lion

Oct 22, 2018 12:33 PM

One difference between anime and most western TV shows is that the latter tend to be more episodic, meaning that once the characters and setting are established, each episode is essentially a standalone story. There might be some story arcs that span the series as a whole, and occasional progression of those arcs, but for the most part each episode has its own setup and conclusion, and order of viewing doesn't matter. By contrast, anime is far more likely to have an overall story progression across most or all episodes of a series, and to follow it properly the episodes should be watched in order. There are of course exceptions going both ways.

When suggesting anime to others who don't know their way around anime, this is something to keep in mind and perhaps explain to them.
A møøse once bit my sister...

Oct 22, 2018 12:36 PM

Something from the late 2000s or of the eary 2010s that is very famous and very begginner friendly while still being clearly anime.Some examples would be TTGL, AOT, FMAB Or SAO.

That or generic Battle Shonens like Naruto or One Piece so that they get their foot into the water with something almost everyone has seen.

"The more popular an anime becomes, the larger the fan base becomes. The larger the fan base becomes, the more weirdos are in the fan base. The more weirdos with louder voices..." -NuxTaku, 2019

Oct 22, 2018 1:34 PM

Joining the circle jerk and saying death note.

Violet Evergarden is a good choice for people who like drama too.

Nagi no Asukara is a good show too.

Oct 22, 2018 2:28 PM

Death Note, as its simplicity and an intriguing concept, made me start exploring the anime medium.

Oct 22, 2018 2:34 PM

Depends on the person. OPM, MHA, or Erased comes to mind.

Hello! If you want to talk about anything anime-related with me feel free to drop a comment on my page and add me as a friend! I'm always happy to have a conversation. My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Oct 22, 2018 2:41 PM

I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist, especially if they were a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Also My Hero Academia because it really easily sucks people in.
Ghibli movies, of course too.
Modified by tothebirds, Oct 22, 2018 9:02 PM

Oct 22, 2018 2:46 PM
Boku no pico, the answer is always boku no pico. If in diubt, remember, boku no pico. Amen

Oct 22, 2018 2:55 PM
I would go with HunterxHunter, mainly because i don't know anyone who didn't enjoy this anime.

Oct 22, 2018 2:59 PM

romagia said:
there is no such thing as a non-anime fan

I’ll have you know I’m an avid non-wrestling fan.

No no no, I do not mean “anti-wrestling”, I mean “non-wrestling”. Get it straight.

Oct 22, 2018 3:05 PM
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, i started to watch it with my brother and he enjoyed it even though he doesn't like anime

Oct 22, 2018 3:11 PM

To a non-anime fan basically anything by Isao Takahata.

Calal-Chan said:

Jesus... are you guys trying to get them to abandon anime after a single show?
Freaking Death Note?

Oct 22, 2018 3:31 PM

Generally I would recommend FMA (Brotherhood), Hunter x Hunter (2011) or One Punch Man for people starting out they are straight forward and easy to enjoy.

Oct 22, 2018 3:43 PM

Might sound a bit odd to some people, but I like to recommend Zetsuen no Tempest. It has enough shounen tropes for the story to progress in a simplistic way, but it also deals with some mature aspects that someone not accustomed to anime might be familiar with (due to live-action TV etc).

Oct 22, 2018 5:20 PM

-Lightsbane- said:
To a non-anime fan basically anything by Isao Takahata.

Calal-Chan said:

Jesus... are you guys trying to get them to abandon anime after a single show?
Freaking Death Note?

Yeah I am. Death Note was my first show and it made me hate anime. Just look at how man I have dropped. ;)

Oct 22, 2018 5:30 PM

Depends on the person. Mainly though for my male friends some shounen anime, but for my female friends Anohana or some other slice of life.

Oct 22, 2018 7:52 PM

DxD or bust.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 22, 2018 7:55 PM
Inactive

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a must watch for new anime fans

On a serious note, it really depends on the person's taste and what they have seen in different types of media

Oct 22, 2018 9:20 PM

Something like Black Lagoon which has a good dub, few ecchi scenes and a more western vibe.

Oct 22, 2018 11:47 PM

Shingeki no Kyojin.
An accurate shot that most likely will keep them coming back.

Oct 23, 2018 3:30 AM
Inuyasha. I'm following my instincts with this one.
Anime is pathetic. So am I for being a part of this community.

Oct 23, 2018 6:50 AM
なのだ

Naturally something that is easy to get into. Anime that don't rely on knowing other titles, cliches or anime archetypes. Imo things like Kimi no Na wa or Death Note would work well.

Sadly, most ecchi, harems and CGDCT would be a turn off for normies.

Oct 23, 2018 6:54 AM

I will always recommend Death Note as a starter anime

Oct 23, 2018 6:56 AM

HoneyRice said:
[size=97]It depends on the persons personality, I'd choose something that would suit their tastes and make them interested in the story.

Pretty much this

Although as a caveat, I'd probably either go with something they either would like tonally or within the same genre as the stuff they like outside of anime only if they're feeling skeptical, just to show them that anime has those things too and can convey the same themes in a way only the animation medium could do.

And if they are open minded and smacked asf, then the answer is always Megazone 23.

Oct 23, 2018 9:01 AM

Three anime come to mind:

- My Hero Academia: A really good gateway show imo. A fast-paced show with some nice characters and animation. Also has a huge fan-base so there's no limit of people to discuss with and doesn't seem all that daunting to a new anime watcher. All in all a good show which I think anyone could pick up and enjoy.

- Steins;Gate: Honestly, I'd just give this to someone because of how much I love it. It may not be the best show to start off on due to its slow start... But I believe that if they can get past that they'll see how good the show is. The popularity and high rating of the show speaks for itself.

- Your Name: Same reason as you, really.

There are of course other anime I could probably recommend to people, like "A Silent Voice" or "Hunter x Hunter" for example, but these 3 just seem like good choices which I've used before.

When I was still really new to anime (which was only like 8 months ago) I was recommended Death Note, FMAB, Steins;Gate and they clearly worked.

I think in general it's best to stick to well-known/mainstream shows that are relatively popular. Obviously you should try and recommend a "good" show but in the end it depends on the person and their tastes.
Modified by 2d_anikaytion, Oct 23, 2018 9:04 AM

Oct 23, 2018 9:10 AM

*Insert list of anime from genres the specific person already likes here.*
"I am Holo the wisewolf, I know that there are things in this world that I do not know, that is what makes me wise."
-Holo (Spice & Wolf)

Oct 23, 2018 9:18 AM

I would just recommend them my favorites which is maybe not the best starting point ya know but bias..... hxh / fma:b / def not dcmk tho bc long....lol
but death note is decent to take up
i used to recommend mob psycho 100 :'0 but idk
i am just not.....the best to ask for that bc i dont like anything else

Oct 23, 2018 9:20 AM

Depends on the person really... if it was someone who likes comedy I'd recommend Ouran High School Host Club though. It was the first anime I watched outside of Ghibli films and it got me hooked.

Oct 23, 2018 9:40 AM

I would reccomend them to watch Goblin Slayer so that if they get offended they would know that they should get another hobby instead.

PS: Also, starting with something mediocre lowers your standards and your expectations from what you'll watch in the future, which is quite necessary if you wanna watch anime.
Modified by Reybun, Oct 23, 2018 9:54 AM

Oct 23, 2018 9:48 AM

I make them watch avesome 80's OVAs or movies, ofc. Jin-Rou, GitS, Area 88, something like that.

Oct 23, 2018 9:50 AM

I'm gonna imagine the average Joe here, because otherwise the recommendation does depend upon the taste of the watcher.

For movies I would suggest any Ghibli movie, preferably the more popular ones.
For shows, I'd go with One Punch Man, Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

(I know this is very basic and regular, but I don't wanna scare them off 0_0)
"Although Punpun didn’t really want to think about what the point of having dreams that could never come true was… To have dreams and worries that you could talk frankly about… In a way, that was probably a more fulfilling lifestyle than his own, Punpun admitted. Being cool was merely a paper-thin difference away from being empty."

-Oyasumi Punpun

Oct 23, 2018 10:14 AM

My choice would be Sword Art Online, cause hey someone showed it to me and I'm still here 5 years later XD

Oct 23, 2018 10:26 AM

alshu said:
Little Witch Academia (2012) or maybe Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

I strongly agree with you.
I would also recommend any Miyazaki film, Fruits Basket, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Patlabor OVA series, Sherlock Hound, Saint Tail, Princess Tutu, Hyouka, Kimagure Orange Road, and Cowboy Bebop.
Modified by AngelicTotoro, Oct 23, 2018 10:30 AM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.

Oct 23, 2018 10:33 AM

Calal-Chan said:

Violet Evergarden is a good choice for people who like drama too.

Nagi no Asukara is a good show too.

Agree with those two. Never seen Death Note.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.

Oct 23, 2018 10:35 AM

I would first of all of course only recommend anime to a non-anime fan if it was clear they were curious about it. After that, I would ask what kind of movies, TV shows, maybe even Western cartoons they like and try to find something from there. Those things aside, in terms of shows I'd probably go with "Your Lie in April", "Violet Evergarden" and "Magical Girl Madoka Magica", and in terms of movies something from Ghibli.

Oct 23, 2018 10:38 AM

I would say non non biyori, or any slice of life/daily life anime, cuz' its nothing there to really "scare" the person away. Simple stories, always a red line through the season, but the episode dont really connect. Bright colours, no plot twists, no dark themes... Just simple, cute and heart warming

Oct 23, 2018 10:39 AM
△☹▽

I always recommend Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Death Note first to non-anime watchers. mainly because it was what i watched first

Oct 23, 2018 10:44 AM

I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter, because it's great. Oh, and because it was the first anime I watched.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »