Forum Settings
Forums

What's the first anime you would recommend for a non-anime fan?

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Post New Reply
Oct 24, 2018 5:09 AM

something easy to get into with lots of appeal. Fullmetal Alchemist would be my go to choice, but anything that is easy to get into and enjoy i'd recommend

Oct 24, 2018 6:00 AM

It depends upon the personality of the person. But in general, battle shounens are nice gateway anime. Coz majority of anime community have battle shounens as their first anime and they are popular too.

Oct 24, 2018 6:00 AM

oaeex said:

i fail to see how tokyo ghoul is dark
watch goblin slayer

Who said anything about Tokyo Ghoul? And don't worry I'm watching Goblin Slayer.

Oct 24, 2018 7:01 AM

I would probably show them one of the first anime i ever watched.
Ranma 1/2, Azumanga daioh, Maid Sama or Blue exorcist
or Dragonball, i guess
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR

Oct 24, 2018 7:05 AM
Dragon Ball Z if we're talking Shonen based wise and Pokemon friendly wise for overall.

Oct 24, 2018 8:11 AM
Grim Anime Fan

if possible ask what kind of movies or fiction in general that person likes and recommend according to that.

Aside from that.. can't be bothered to go through my list at the moment. But probably something that is fairly rich in content/genres, presents well art of Anime and isn't too childish.

Oct 24, 2018 8:43 AM

Id go with Psycho Pass, Cowboy Bebop, or Ghibli classics , or AOT.

Depends what genre they like?

Oct 24, 2018 9:25 AM

I always go for Death Note for the following reasons :
  • It's a nice anime that can please anybody no matter what genres they are into.
  • it's a classic that everybody should see.
  • it does not contain any heavy anime cringe or things that normies might dislike.
  • It's a thriller so it has the potential to give the newbies the "one more episode" syndrome.
  • It has so much elements like it's good characters, music, visuals and other things that has the potential to make the show stay in the guy's head so he would come back for more.

I still warn them though that the last part is not as good the first one so they won't have any bad surprises but anyway it's always a good idea to recommend Death Note for a newbie.

Oct 24, 2018 9:56 AM
Forum Moderator
Bot Hunter

I'd definitely start them off with films since that's not as much of a commitment as a full series. My picks would be Princess Mononoke, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Satoshi Kon's entire filmography.
One bright day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight
Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other
A deaf policeman heard the noise and came and killed those two dead boys

Oct 24, 2018 10:07 AM

First I would ask about his/her favorite genre outside of anime and maybe recommend something along those lines; also I would consider the age since I think is an imoprtat factor.

Other than that I think Sword Art Online is a nice way to get into anime, it has the right amount of action and the story is catchy. I would recommend Shingeki No Kyojin too, although it's a bit violent, so not for everyone, still an awesome plot, ost and design.

Oct 24, 2018 10:28 AM

given that the person in question is new to anime, many of the anime tropes will likely be off-putting. i would avoid anime that are known for fan service. that means no SAO, no NGNL, no insert harem series here, no rokyuuubu nor that loli fanservice show disguised as a shogi anime.

series i would generally consider safe options to recommend would be
Mushishi
Natsume Yuujinchou
Garden of Words (movie)
Non Non Biyori
possibly Chihayafuru

depending on their interest, series like TTGL or AOT may be good introductory options as well.

Oct 24, 2018 12:06 PM

if it was in 10 years ago, I would've straight up said Naruto, One Piece, Bleach...
But it's different now.
For a guy it would be just a regular mainstream shounen:
like Boku no hero or One Punch Man or Mob Psycho 100.

Oct 24, 2018 1:29 PM

boku no hero or tokyo ghoul?
it all depends on the person and whether or not they like action or romance or sci fi
โ‚๐ก๐จ๐ฅ๐ฒโ‚ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฎ โ‚โฃแƒ“

"๐˜๐˜ง ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜บ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ"

Oct 24, 2018 1:43 PM
Probably something along the lines of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Oct 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 and/or Brotherhood.

Oct 24, 2018 1:45 PM

Oct 24, 2018 2:20 PM

Oct 24, 2018 2:23 PM

To a child, I guess I would recommend either Yu-gi-oh! (any series) or Pokemon or even Cardfight Vanguard! As they are all visually and musically good to watch with characters the same age as the audience, who like to play games and still have to deal with deeper issues as the series progress. I suppose for a teenager, I'd recommend Bleach because the action, Drama and characters are outstanding. TO a youngish girl, one of the magical shoujo animes like Card Captors. But mostly my recommendation would depend on what the person wants to watch, either action, or pure comedy or horror or something light and fluffy lol ๐Ÿค”

Oct 24, 2018 2:27 PM
I'd recommend Death Note or Attack on Titan, depending on whag type of person they are.

Oct 24, 2018 3:20 PM

Honestly, it depends on the person. I've actually got two of my friends into anime. I've recommended Hunter x Hunter to one of them and Your Lie in April to the other because they have different tastes, so I've recommended different shows.

Oct 24, 2018 4:33 PM

If my friend can handle semi-horror, then Tokyo Ghoul but if they can't then probably Fairy Tail or Seven Deadly Sins

Oct 24, 2018 4:50 PM
I would say either Dragon Ball Z, or Naruto

Oct 24, 2018 4:59 PM

Oct 24, 2018 5:02 PM
Neon Génesis Evangelion
Code Geass

Oct 24, 2018 5:25 PM

One Piece
Space Dandy
Black Lagoon

All of them have good dubs especially Black Lagoon and Dandy.
Modified by DoctorWasabi, Oct 24, 2018 5:34 PM

Oct 24, 2018 8:30 PM

Death note, Attack on titan and Psycho Pass. These shows are unique, intriguing and very engaging.

Oct 24, 2018 8:40 PM

Depends what they like in general? If they only watch slice of life drama, I won't rec Parasyte.

Oct 24, 2018 10:28 PM

Depends but Cory in the house or Naruto

Oct 24, 2018 10:42 PM

Depends on what sort of live action cinema and television they like, movies or short ova are the easiest to watch and the least commitment so i would start their.

Oct 24, 2018 10:43 PM

I got my mom into anime with Your Name, then Gurren Lagann, Perfect Blue, Kill La Kill, Madoka Magica, now we're watching Toradora lol.

Oct 24, 2018 11:04 PM

Monster Musume 11/10. Great beginner anime.

Oct 25, 2018 1:08 AM

Obviously One Punch Man. Since it is easy to understand, funny, and a bit gory to fulfill some of those normie's desire for blood [pun intended].
But really, even if i don't like OPM, it is a good anime to recommend to anyone trying to get to anime. It will at least ensure they'll stay hooked to anime.
I write anime stuffs here.

http://paullevesque.blogspot.co.id/

Oct 25, 2018 1:54 AM
maybe boku no hero academia or shingeki no kyojin

Oct 25, 2018 1:58 AM

Any popular-gateway anime would be a good choice tbh. SAO, Death Note and the like. These types of anime would generally appeal to casual anime fan and can also work as a door for them to various type of other anime.

But it's also come down to how much you understand the "taste" of said person who you want to recommend to. If a person who love to watch or read mindfuck type of show/book in other medium, the first thing they would want to watch in anime would be the exact same thing.

Their perspective toward the medium is also important point to be consider. A casual watcher would be appealed by most of popular anime, but those who take the medium more serious would consider some of those popular anime to be sub par leaving them bad first impression on the medium itself.

So, it really depend on the person you want to recommend to., but generally, anime like Your name, Death Note, or SAO is a suitable choice.

Oct 25, 2018 2:32 AM

My answer is always: "go watch Attack on Titan"
Thank you Japan for all the weird shit

Oct 25, 2018 2:56 AM
Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist will have anyone hooked! :)

Oct 25, 2018 4:56 AM
Believe

K4STOR said:
So basiclly the question is "What's the first anime you would recommend for a non-anime fan?" Which could either go for someone who wants to get into anime or wants to understand it more.

Mine would be Your Name because the visuals draw people in and get them invested into the story. Also the story line was interesting which kept me at the edge of my seat. I've recommended this to multiple people and every time someone does watch it they keep coming back asking for more recommendations.

Cowboy beebop is my safest bet,to introduce someone into the medium. For starters, it's critically acclaimed and is more appealing towards western viewers.

Oct 25, 2018 5:27 AM
</overrated>

An Isao Takahata or Satoshi Kon film. They're so much like live action films and grounded that the appreciation of the animation might dare to explore similar concepts.

Oct 25, 2018 3:05 PM
I actually got a few people started on Anime by showing them Sgt Frog (just about the only time I've preferred the English dubbed)

A few other ones I think would be good would be
Fullmetal Alchemist
Noragami
Yona of the Dawn
One Punch Man
Ore Monogatari
Ancient Magus' Bride

Oct 25, 2018 3:34 PM

If we are recommending to someone not interested in anime, then maybe something like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or a Miyazaki film. If we are looking for an introduction to anime for someone looking to get into the medium, then maybe something that is almost universally appreciated like FMA: Brotherhood, Kimi no Na wa, or Steins;Gate. From there they could move on based on what they enjoy.

Oct 26, 2018 12:32 AM

A Shounen show would be a good first recommendation. Like Blue Exorcist or My Hero Academia. Death Note is obviously a good starter. Code Geass is another one I would recommend. Angel Beats was one of my first shows I watched so I would also include that as well.

Oct 26, 2018 1:59 PM

Depends on who , but just as everybody said Death Note is probably the best one when it comes to getting non-anime fans to anime.

Oct 27, 2018 10:08 AM
I would say Death Note as well.

Death Note was not my gateway anime. It was SAO and KLK. However, Death Note is a must watch for newcomers.

Also, for those who love superhero films and TV series I would definitely recommend My Hero Academia and One Punch Man.

Oct 27, 2018 10:14 AM

depends on the person, but i would probs recommend them to watch something super popular like death note, one punch man, mha, aot or sao

Oct 27, 2018 12:01 PM
้ญ”็Ž‹

i always recommend neon genesis evangelion. some will probably hate or love it.

ใ€Œ ่Šฑ ใ€

your absence has gone through me
like a thread through a needle — &
everything is stitched with its color

former forum sets ; favorite manga

Oct 27, 2018 12:12 PM

Probably Death Note, mostly because most people think animes are childish and this anime really proves how complex and mature animes are.
I would recommend also Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because this is also a great shounen which is kind balanced.
It really depends on the person, someone who likes romance I probably start with famous movies like Kimi no Nawa and Koe no Katachi.

Oct 27, 2018 12:12 PM

if its a movie then something ghibli. if they are looking for something episodic then aot, sao, opm, bnha, etc. but it depends on [how well] i know their tastes. s;g is a common early anime rec but idk how many people that rec or or watch it know the john tidor lore

Oct 27, 2018 5:41 PM

Fmab
1. It's relatively easy to follow
2. It has an amazing story
3. It has great fights
4. It's funny
5. It has great characters
6. It has touching scenes
7. It's neither too short nor too long
8. It has amazing rewatch value

Honestly, this question is almost impossible to answer but fmab seems like the safest answer.

Oct 28, 2018 11:31 AM

I wouldn't recommend something like FMA:B or Steins Gate as they are a little too good for someone new to anime, but shows like One Piece or Naruto might be a little too intimidating since they are long-running shounens.

I'd find out what kind of shows the person likes to watch, first, and then see if I can recommend them anything like what they are looking for.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »