Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 20, 2018 2:05 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Silent_Four-Eyes said:
Why so many goblins this season xD

I know right, that's what?...at least 3 anime where we have goblins this season? Luckily for the goblins, Kirito is not as single mindedly focused in exterminating them as Goblin Slayer-san.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 20, 2018 2:06 PM

May 2018
This SAO is running at a very slow pace, don't tell me they intend to do that so as to have 60 ep or more???
Oct 20, 2018 2:37 PM
Mar 2017
Well my doubt about who is Selka is resolved, she is the younger sister of Alice, they are very similar, only the hair color difference. We also knew more information about the Underworld world, like the sacred arts and the church, also Eugeo presents Kirito with the sword Blue Rose, with that sword Kirito tries to cut the tree, but he only manages to make a scratch, even so Kirito discovers that he isn´t ready to use the sword.
Kirito and Selka also have a moment in which they talk about Alice and Eugeo, how her sister's departure affected Eugeo to the point of not smiling and sharing in the festivities, we also know that Eugeo feels a great guilt for what happened to Alice (poor boy, will there be a time when he stops suffering ?, can someone tell me ? please). Kirito mentions to Selka what happened to Alice and the next day she disappears, Kirito and Eugeo follow her to the cave where Alice broke the taboo and in there, they find some Goblins that have captured Selka.
Wow this season of SAO is interesting, the information that is delivered leaves intrigued to the spectator, and now this cliffhanger. The most likely is that the next episode will be action, where Kirito could practice his technique with the sword, as Eugeo apparently had a panic crisis and I think he will not be of any help.
Oct 20, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2009
i feel there was more development in the infamaous endless eight arc than in 3 episodes...
12 min talking about a tree and a sword....
bruh
Oct 20, 2018 3:01 PM
Aug 2013
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
This SAO is running at a very slow pace

Called world building, in the earlier may feels slow, but in a few episodes, we will see the goals of all of that (and I hope A-1 and Ono Manabu can give us the best result)
Oct 20, 2018 3:35 PM
Aug 2018
Wow what an amazing episode again,
Kirito seems to an irregularity in that VR world, and I hope someone comes and save them in the next eoisode, I really don't want selka to be sold off as a slave( what is this some kind of dark fantasy?)
And again so many questions left unanswered, so interesting. This anime is really great, really glad to have watched it.
Oct 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Nov 2016
The Writing for SAO has gotten about 5% Better. I don't know it it is because of the new characters and world or what but i have been liking this season more than S2 or GGO alt.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Feb 2017
BlackstarFallen said:
Selka is really stupid for going to the End Mountains by herself. I wouldn't care if she dies because of her dumb mistake. Oh look, more goblins.

She just wanted to see her sister.
Her sister got captured after doing such thing
so she thought that once the same happend she would end up where alice is
Oct 20, 2018 3:45 PM
Oct 2012
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
This SAO is running at a very slow pace, don't tell me they intend to do that so as to have 60 ep or more???

U either pick this or u will get something like old 2 season.

Honestly Speaking, i Enjoy both ! but only coz i read the light novel.

ppl keep on complaining Kirito being jesus or OP for no reason !
saying he got no character or very bland character or he is edgy !

they also sometimes say same bland and no character for asuna as well.

they also complain about plotholes and bad game design in SAO etc.

well, All of these were not a problem in novels, coz it was all explained/developed well !
but Anime took a fast approach and mostly focus on having every episode "something happen"

that's how we got last 2 season.

this season they are explaining everything well and doing nice world building, almost as good as novel ( tho it's never as good as novel but still best u can do with adoptions )
sadly some ppl now feel it's "slow" and "nothing happen" :|

you can never please everyone !
Oct 20, 2018 3:46 PM

Aug 2013
The Goblin trend has infiltrated SAO. Time to add more salt on them wounds bois. XD
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 20, 2018 3:52 PM
Oct 2012
tottobennington said:
BlackstarFallen said:
Selka is really stupid for going to the End Mountains by herself. I wouldn't care if she dies because of her dumb mistake. Oh look, more goblins.

She just wanted to see her sister.
Her sister got captured after doing such thing
so she thought that once the same happend she would end up where alice is

actually that's that's what Kirito and Eugeo thought,
but that's not why Selka went there. she is more mature than that and not gonna make her family sad again.

Oct 20, 2018 4:07 PM
Oct 2018
I'm still waiting for Kirito to one shot the tree like the beast he is.

Seeing those goblins around Selka tho... made me remember repressed memories. (Goblin Slayer ;-;)
OverlordSithiusOct 20, 2018 5:51 PM
Oct 20, 2018 4:15 PM
Jan 2016
I feel like a lot of this probably work as a LN rather than an anime. in my opinion, it had rather too much exposition and not enough progression. The episode could have even stopped in that area, but I rather them do its own thing with the villagers.... to give a lot of this information naturally rather than a really stilted conversation that sound unnatural. It was constantly just boring, btw i can deal with episodes with little progression i mean i am a fan of monster and Vinland saga. But what works in that is how natural the conversations are, technically its exposition but feels more like the person is warning or telling they perspective on certain events it really natural. Anyways superb lighting effects and for action sequences the animation, directing, sound design the team was in their A game.
Oct 20, 2018 4:16 PM

Jul 2014
I. HATE. THOSE. CLIFFHANGERS.
Oct 20, 2018 4:26 PM
Sep 2018
I really am enjoying this anime, although I was a bit disappointed when the second and third episodes weren’t as long as the first but I guess it would be too hard to keep up.

I imagine the next section of this will be a training montage for Kirito and Eugeo to get to be a high enough level to wield the sword (although in the opening it’s Eugeo who wields it) and then they’ll go all starburst stream on the tree but I’m genuinely excited about the next episode, which is surprising as I almost chose to skip this anime altogether.
Oct 20, 2018 4:30 PM
Aug 2018
biggest fault a noobie like kirito will make ''choose a longsword''
Oct 20, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2017

Welp! Time to get the slayer.
Oct 20, 2018 5:14 PM

Feb 2014
Oh god, the goblins invaded SAO as well, lmao.
Oct 20, 2018 5:17 PM
Nov 2013
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

Alicization will have about 50 episodes (4 cours). That was announced.

So, they will their time in worldbuilding.
Oct 20, 2018 5:35 PM
Oct 2012
salbery755 said:
we also know that Eugeo feels a great guilt for what happened to Alice (poor boy, will there be a time when he stops suffering ?, can someone tell me ? please)

Oct 20, 2018 6:34 PM

Nov 2011
*Insert Goblin Slayer joke*

Next episode is gonna be brutal.

Oct 20, 2018 7:07 PM
Apr 2017
It's probably best season of Sword Art Online.
Oct 20, 2018 7:09 PM
Nov 2015
I know this anime got a lot episode, but damn the pacing is very very slow compare to other anime.

And interestingly this season 3 anime has goblin theme..........
Its goblin season.
redcobraOct 20, 2018 7:23 PM
Oct 20, 2018 7:35 PM
Jan 2018
https://imgur.com/a/CzHSqHG

goblin again 😂

well, i will waiting for next episode
Oct 20, 2018 7:45 PM

May 2015
You mean when Kirito woke up and looked at his awakener, Sugu was the first person to come to mind? This man ain't loyal...

"Divine Object"...made with the assistance of the Gods, or the Gods themselves made it. So basically a "Legendary" item.

Man, Goblins are becoming a trend this season...

Eugeo you idiot...

"System" is a command eh? Well I guess next episode is the part where Kirito "System Equip Dual Swords" right?
Oct 20, 2018 8:22 PM

Jul 2016
Eugeo having Deja vu when Kirito asked if using sword in cutting the tree is a taboo index violation, something really did not change even with memory loss of each other.

I like how they well they depicted the heaviness of the sword here, such overwhelming impact.

So it finally picked up to cave scene. Damn Cliffhanger.
Oct 20, 2018 8:50 PM
Mar 2018
More goblins. Goblin Slayer: NANI????
Oct 20, 2018 8:56 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
Oh great. This episode is another Goblin Slayer meme material. Not that I'm complaining though
Oct 20, 2018 9:28 PM

Jan 2018
Overlord 3
Goblin Slayer
Slime
and now SAO Alicization

I guess 2018 is the year of the goblin.
Oct 20, 2018 9:47 PM
Apr 2018
Goblins are back lol. Must be the year of goblins with Overlord Season 3, Goblin Slayer, That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime.
Oct 20, 2018 11:04 PM
Jan 2018
Im getting so many Goblin Slayer vibes from this
Oct 20, 2018 11:04 PM

Aug 2016
This was really incredible as they have improved this season of SAO, now Kirito is the most protagonist and that is the only thing that I like more than the other characters :)
Oct 21, 2018 12:18 AM

Mar 2016
[insert obligatory goblins meme comment].

It was a pretty good and enjoyable episode. Anyways, I feel like kirito lowkey wanted selka to go the mountains and reach dark territory so that he has a reason to leave the village and go to the city and appeal to eugeo to help him supply for the journey and go with him.
Shishou_23Oct 21, 2018 12:28 AM
Oct 21, 2018 12:25 AM

Aug 2013
Oiq420 said:
uhh really?

fucking dropped

why is japan giving us so much goblins

fuck this

little green bastards

#goblin slayer

#triggered

Just a coincidence man, Alicization was written way back in 2005 FYI, no need to drop the show just because of goblins lol, perhaps you want to see how the anime handles it first?
Oct 21, 2018 12:36 AM

Nov 2017
- so.. the blade name was blue rose? didnt it?
- it looks like these goblin doesnt get horny with girl... and they can speak (it was virtual world obviusly)
Now Loading.....
Oct 21, 2018 12:58 AM
Nov 2015
GUYS THE SHOW HAVE THE GOBLIN THAT LIKE SHOW GOBLIN SLAYER OMG LOL!
Oct 21, 2018 1:36 AM
Jan 2012
Eugeo really put forth his best effort to show how useless he is this episode.
Oct 21, 2018 2:25 AM

Jun 2013
Congratulations Leeroy Eugeo, you're a damn fool.. surprised he hasn't already gotten himself killed somehow.

Also Kirito, maybe if you yell enough Eugeo will come around..? No? Ok, just keep yelling then.. -_-

Idk, Im so confused and the character's illogical actions don't exactly help. All the world building means squat if they don't start connecting it to the actual happenings in the story. I hope I dont have to wait half the season for things to start picking up and making sense. There is only so much you can string people along.

5/10 so far.. interested to see how Eugeo doesn't die in the immediate future. I hope it's not just magical plot armor because he's supposed to the be the token "coming of age" character.

Oct 21, 2018 2:29 AM
Jan 2018
Enabaka said:
Eugeo really put forth his best effort to show how useless he is this episode.

well he is a normal villager that has hardly seen any danger in his life how els would you expect he would react . he didnt expect to see goblins in the cave he just went there to try and stop the alice sister from crossing the dark place
Oct 21, 2018 2:30 AM
Jan 2018
wonder how toned down the blood will be
Oct 21, 2018 2:36 AM
Jun 2011
Reybun said:
Fappa said:

I mean...

i wont be suprised if they will tone down the gore a little
Oct 21, 2018 3:08 AM
Jun 2011
Oiq420 said:
uhh really?

fucking dropped

fuck this

little green bastards

#goblin slayer

#triggered
why you hate goblins so much?
Oct 21, 2018 3:13 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Yes, YES!!
Keep this pacing and we will be having a great adaptation.
A1 doing it great so far, next episode, I hope they arent affraid to show abit more of brutallity and psychology concerning how fights and just "reality" is on the Underworld.
Oct 21, 2018 3:15 AM

Aug 2012
Better call Goblin Slayer.
Oct 21, 2018 3:18 AM
Oct 2007
This might be the true Goblin Slayer series you're about to watch!!

Jokes aside, I seem to like this episode as compared to the last 2. Production value for SAO had always been pretty top notch!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2018 3:21 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
__Hikaru__ said:
Oiq420 said:
uhh really?

fucking dropped

fuck this

little green bastards

#goblin slayer

#triggered

Just a coincidence man, Alicization was written way back in 2005 FYI, no need to drop the show just because of goblins lol, perhaps you want to see how the anime handles it first?

2005?!
I had no idea, where can you even get info like when did the webnovel started releasing and ended??

2005 feels too old.
Oct 21, 2018 3:25 AM

Aug 2017
pretty alright episode. i'm really only watching this series to keep up with the discussion and to be part of the hype, but it's not been bad at all so far. in comparison to the original two series, it almost seems good, but the verdicts still out for me. if it keeps up like this at least for the whole series, it'll be good.
Oct 21, 2018 3:39 AM

Jun 2016
People are complaining about eugeo shouting when the poor guy just didnt know how to handle the stress. He never faced danger in his whole life, what the hell would you expect him to do? There werent even that much better options for them at al: keep hiding and see selka being taken away or escaping without her.
Also, in the light novel he did not shout at all, i guess a1 wanted a better cliffhanger for the episode.
Oct 21, 2018 3:44 AM

Mar 2016
AyumiVk said:
People are complaining about eugeo shouting when the poor guy just didnt know how to handle the stress. He never faced danger in his whole life, what the hell would you expect him to do? There werent even that much better options for them at al: keep hiding and see selka being taken away or escaping without her.
Also, in the light novel he did not shout at all, i guess a1 wanted a better cliffhanger for the episode.

I thought it somehow portrayed eugeo’s internal conflict. Like he wanted to rush in to help selka and revealed his position out of his desire because he didn’t want what happened in the past to happen again with another member of alice’s family, however, when up to the task, part of him is reminded yet again that he’s still not ready to take on such challenges to overcome his past. It’s like you said, also it’s not like there are other better options. Either face the goblins and save her or escape without her.
Oct 21, 2018 3:48 AM
Oct 2012
Tarotist said:
You mean when Kirito woke up and looked at his awakener, Sugu was the first person to come to mind? This man ain't loyal...

"Divine Object"...made with the assistance of the Gods, or the Gods themselves made it. So basically a "Legendary" item.

Man, Goblins are becoming a trend this season...

Eugeo you idiot...

"System" is a command eh? Well I guess next episode is the part where Kirito "System Equip Dual Swords"
right?

Brah... Kirito is not sleeping with Asuna in same house every day.
in novel it was explained, he thought he was in Real life, in his own house, and Sugu is waking him up as usual.
this scene is there just to show how much this UnderWorld is like Reality, so much that Kirito's sleeping felt completely same as his own RL house. and not his virtual house with asuna.

bondtux said:
- so.. the blade name was blue rose? didnt it?
- it looks like these goblin doesnt get horny with girl... and they can speak (it was virtual world obviusly)

yeh Goblins in SAO are not rapist, they got human intelligence and also got female goblins s no bullshit about needing rape to reproduce lol,

I don't even understand how a race that need to rape female human can still stay goblin after several generation... they would become half-goblin then 1/4 Goblin... then 1/8 and go on until it looks mostly human lol

Playcool said:
__Hikaru__ said:

2005?!
I had no idea, where can you even get info like when did the webnovel started releasing and ended??

2005 feels too old.

SAO was started in 2001 as Webnovel, I'm not sure when he reach Alicization Arc, but probably 2005 i guess. it took him a good few years until he finish it tho ! since Alicization Arc is as big as all old arc ! Volume 9 to 18 + side story of it in Vol 19 and 20 ! 12 Volume !

SAO Webnovel was totally hidden from popularity until Author's 2nd work "Accel World" he write in 2009, he sent it in some competition and won, it got popular and lead to SAO getting popular and a Light Novel in 2009.

Edit : btw i forgot to say, Webnovel ended after Alicization Arc, but for Light novel Author is releasing a new final Arc which was never in Webnovel before.
That's Volume 21+
Author spend most of his time for SAO Main novel Rewriting/editing the Webnovel from volume 1 to volume 20 for Light Novel in last few years . and now writing newly.
but meanwhile, he was writing new novels and spin off, SAO Progressive + Accel World + SAO GGO Spin-off and so on...

AyumiVk said:

yeh i don't like it when anime exaggerate stuff and make them look stupid ! like Eugeo yelling "Selka" like an idiot lol
but yeh, he is a kid who never had any danger in his life till now, so understandable.
PedramOct 21, 2018 4:15 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.