Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2018 10:30 PM
Jun 2016
Some anime viewers would be wondering if Hitomi's condtion exists...and the answer is...yes it does.

It's called Total Color Blindness

Here are some more details..

Monochromacy, more commonly referred to as “total color blindness”, is caused by the total absence of either 2 or 3 of the pigmented retinal cones, reducing vision to one dimension. It comes in two forms:

Rod monochromacy is a rare, non progressive inability to distinguish any color, resulting from non-functioning or absent retinal cones. Rod monochromacy is typically associated with sensitivity to light (Photophobia) and poor vision.

Cone monochromacy is also a rare type of total color blindness, however is accompanied by relatively normal vision.

Source: https://www.colour-blindness.com/variations/total/

So it is possible that Hitomi has total colour blindness probabaly due to cone monochomacy.

Causes
Genetic (in Hitomi's case...the most likely cause).

Treatment/therapies for now include...

Color filters...to reduce sensitivity to light for those who are light sensistive.
A cybernetic device called an eyeborg that helps to distingush between colors.

Future treatment modalities
Gene therapy (currently at the experimental stage).

Do you need to know more?..see here
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Oct 19, 2018 11:08 PM

Aug 2016
I knew that monochromacy exists, but I didn't understand it to this degree. So thanks for the information.
Oct 20, 2018 1:38 AM

Jul 2012
One thing that bothered me is Hitomi's level of distress towards her colour blindness because if you have lived with colour-blindness for your whole, you'd probably think it's normal and would not think too much about it.

I speculated that in her case, she might have developed her colour blindness due to an accident or a magic-related incident.
よろしく!
Oct 20, 2018 3:28 AM

Oct 2013
Still I don't understand why she want to hide it so badly that she make shit and is embarassing herself even more.

That's a stupid character development
Oct 20, 2018 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
You shouldn't take it so serious. It's a metaphor for depression and losing joy in little things, when you get older.
Oct 20, 2018 8:41 AM
Jun 2017
Geez, she's a teenage schoolgirl in an unfamiliar situation and missing an essential part of what makes life enjoyable. You'd be freaking out if you were put in her shoes. Everyone makes mistakes, and her being the stereotypical timid and insecure heroine makes sense here.
Oct 20, 2018 3:02 PM

Jun 2017
Losing one of your senses, even just a small portion of it, can lead to heavy depressions and other mental illnesses. Especially during a development age.
She clearly was able to see colors for some time in her life.
But she lost it for yet unknown reasons. At her age that can lead to actual development problems. So this is a pretty accurate depiction of what could happen to a child. And thats more reason why I feel for her.
Oct 23, 2018 6:19 AM

Feb 2016
Titadou said:
Still I don't understand why she want to hide it so badly that she make shit and is embarassing herself even more.

+1

For now, her illness plot device doesn't look solid to me. She came from grandfuture of grandfuture. I expect they will explain that why she can't be cured in her own time. As usual, to the Japanese mind, a woman/girl should be docile and introvert.
Oct 23, 2018 6:28 AM

Sep 2014
Aeoness said:
Titadou said:

+1

For now, her illness plot device doesn't look solid to me. She came from grandfuture of grandfuture. I expect they will explain that why she can't be cured in her own time. As usual, to the Japanese mind, a woman/girl should be docile and introvert.

There are timid and introvert people outside of Japan as well.
Oct 23, 2018 8:30 AM

Oct 2013
Hrybami said:
Aeoness said:

+1

I'm introvert myself so I know the stuff don't tell me aha... But that's not be an introvert at this point, that's just be stupid.

If something can humiliate you in front of people like in the episode 3 (oops I Said 2) you can be sure you will tell them just to avoid this kind of scene, or be so humiliated that you will never speak to them again.

They did a third way which is the stupid choice for the "sake of the plot" where you don't told them anything but eh, you're still friends anyway and they will never confront you about your odd mistake
TitadouOct 23, 2018 8:35 AM
Oct 23, 2018 9:48 AM

Sep 2014
Titadou said:
Hrybami said:

I'm introvert myself so I know the stuff don't tell me aha... But that's not be an introvert at this point, that's just be stupid.

If something can humiliate you in front of people like in the episode 3 (oops I Said 2) you can be sure you will tell them just to avoid this kind of scene, or be so humiliated that you will never speak to them again.

They did a third way which is the stupid choice for the "sake of the plot" where you don't told them anything but eh, you're still friends anyway and they will never confront you about your odd mistake

I agree this is just plot convenience at this point. But I don't think it's that stupid either.

She was presented as being introvert and she doesn't open to other. So the events finally follow her personality. It would be strange for her if she suddenly start telling stuff like that out of nowhere. When she took the pink tube instead of the blue one, she thought she had the blue one in her hand, but she wasn't entirely sure. Being under pressure she had no time but execute what was told her to do. Being an introvert myself I understand the situation she was in. When someone tell you do to something right now and you're not sure if it'll work, it takes some guts to actually speak out at this precise moment given that it's something she was ashamed of. The outcome of these events is actually believable... well it is for me because I can relate with what happened. Other people might react differently, but here it's her personality and she clearly is broken inside. Some people lack empathy in this world (I'm not referring to you.)

btw nice profile page
Oct 23, 2018 11:00 AM

Oct 2013
Hrybami said:
Titadou said:

I agree this is just plot convenience at this point. But I don't think it's that stupid either.

She was presented as being introvert and she doesn't open to other. So the events finally follow her personality. It would be strange for her if she suddenly start telling stuff like that out of nowhere. When she took the pink tube instead of the blue one, she thought she had the blue one in her hand, but she wasn't entirely sure. Being under pressure she had no time but execute what was told her to do. Being an introvert myself I understand the situation she was in. When someone tell you do to something right now and you're not sure if it'll work, it takes some guts to actually speak out at this precise moment given that it's something she was ashamed of. The outcome of these events is actually believable... well it is for me because I can relate with what happened. Other people might react differently, but here it's her personality and she clearly is broken inside. Some people lack empathy in this world (I'm not referring to you.)

btw nice profile page

I still don't understand why she won't explain herself after the scene anyway... or just let him speak about it

And then, if I was her I could never face someone after being humiliated like this in front of them... it's way worse than juste explain her "disease" AFTERWARDS, if not during the pressure of the scene, it's like one sentence to repeat in her head and just spit it out!
And she's probably with this "color blindness" since YEARS, so basically you're supposed to be used to it!

Well... I won't change my mind, and I guess it's this kind of story where I must put my brain on off to enjoy it aha

Anyway, it can never be worse than Glasslip

Oct 23, 2018 11:11 AM

Sep 2014
Titadou said:
Hrybami said:

btw nice profile page

I still don't understand why she won't explain herself after the scene anyway... or just let him speak about it

And then, if I was her I could never face someone after being humiliated like this in front of them... it's way worse than juste explain her "disease" AFTERWARDS, if not during the pressure of the scene, it's like one sentence to repeat in her head and just spit it out!
And she's probably with this "color blindness" since YEARS, so basically you're supposed to be used to it!

Well... I won't change my mind, and I guess it's this kind of story where I must put my brain on off to enjoy it aha

I think Glasslip is good, but whatever. Yes she avoided them afterwards, but what brought her back to the club was to meet Aoi. It's not that silly, all of that is just way too convenient. That didn't refrain me to enjoy the episode. If it was, then I shouldn't enjoy a lot of other anime since it's a structure of events commonly used in anime. What matter is how it's executed and if it's believable. I've seen worse shit in other anime like in Death Parade in which absolutely nothing make sense and nothing play out according to the characters' personality.
Oct 23, 2018 11:15 AM

Oct 2013
Hrybami said:
Titadou said:

I think Glasslip is good, but whatever. Yes she avoided them afterwards, but what brought her back to the club was to meet Aoi. It's not that silly, all of that is just way too convenient. That didn't refrain me to enjoy the episode. If it was, then I shouldn't enjoy a lot of other anime since it's a structure of events commonly used in anime. What matter is how it's executed and if it's believable. I've seen worse shit in other anime like in Death Parade in which absolutely nothing make sense and nothing play out according to the characters' personality.

Well I must say I may be harsher on PA Works, the animes they make are so beautiful, it would be so awesome if its were more than "beautiful"!
(woaw sorry I needed to edit this my english was awful XD)
Oct 23, 2018 11:21 AM

Sep 2014
Titadou said:
Hrybami said:

Well I must say I may be harder on PA Works, the animes they make are so beautiful, it would be so awesome if its were more than "beautiful"!

Yes I get what you mean. When there's one exclusively strong aspect in an anime, we start being more severe on the other aspect of the anime.
Oct 23, 2018 12:18 PM

Sep 2011
watchanimu said:
Titadou said:

and she says how it will be better for everyone if they don't know

how exactly???
I mean its an allegory for depression and in real life thats usually an aspect people like to hide about themselves when around others especially new people.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 23, 2018 5:53 PM
Mar 2007
I'm going to guess why she behaves this way, but this is total speculation.

Oct 23, 2018 6:16 PM
Jul 2018
Titadou said:

I don't it's a stupid character development. She is more introverted and ashamed about this. People do many illogical things, especially when you are ashamed and not the type of person, who would open so easily.
Oct 24, 2018 2:07 AM
Sep 2018
I think that since the Magic they're using here is heavily reliant on colors then those colors might correspond with emotions, and the more that she uses magic in a way that improves her emotional growth the more likely it is that she'll regain her colo perception. in short magic=emotions=colors since she hates magic Hitomi-chan needs to learn how to enjoy magic in order to regain color perception. as for why granny Kohaku sent her back, well she might've just thought that the particular period was ideal for her since she already knew that it was livelier and that her friends would get along with Hitomi
Oct 24, 2018 7:02 AM
Sep 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
Titadou said:

I don't it's a stupid character development. She is more introverted and ashamed about this. People do many illogical things, especially when you are ashamed and not the type of person, who would open so easily.

They should have spent time on what she was like before, so we can more easily understand her motivations.
Oct 24, 2018 7:35 AM

Aug 2016
It's pretty clear that she's socially awkward and doesn't always make the smartest decisions, but yeah, I was disappointed by the fact that she didn't tell everyone about her color blindness after what happened in episode 3. Oh well, let's see where this will end up going.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 27, 2018 3:52 AM
Jan 2017
i dont think it's color blind (at least not as you describe), if the cause is genetic, you usually can't see color from the moment you're born and she clearly said she can see color before. not even mentioning that she can see color in her friend's painting

assuming her color blindness is "real disease" (means it's because a malfunction in her eyes) i would say it's because magic experiment accident, that'd explain why she hate magic

however, color blind usually used as metaphor of depression,sadness,etc. most likely it's also the case in this show, rather than her eyes, her mind is something that's wrong (you could also see arima's deafness (your lie in april) for example). so yeah, you don't need to compare her condition with real life color blindness because it can be totally different

Aeoness said:
I expect they will explain that why she can't be cured in her own time. As usual, to the Japanese mind, a woman/girl should be docile and introvert.

well, color blind is actually incurable for now CMIIW.
Oct 28, 2018 11:24 PM

Sep 2016
I believe that she could in fact see colours back when she was younger but because of some incident she lost her ability and became colorblind. I mean she looks so depressed about not being able to see colours.
My grandpa was colourblind but he was never sad or depressed because of it. He never thoight much about it. Its because he was colorblind since birth and had never known colors. Just like how we can't imagine a world without colours, he couldn't imagine a world with colours! And if you don't know about something you won't desire it. You don't really know what you're missing, so you don't miss it unless it ends up relevant for some kind of action. "Ignorance is bliss" as they say.

So i've deduced that Hitomi wasn't colorblind since birth, but she lost her ability to see colors somewhere along the lines, which makes her loss, her pain even greater than normal colorblind people.

As having had the ability to see colour and then losing it, makes things a little more complicated. Because you know what you're missing. No matter the disability or special circumstances, people born with them tend to have an easier time accepting themselves than people losing an ability throughout their lives.
Jan 10, 2019 2:29 PM
Dec 2018
its more metaphore for depresion je something like this

More topics from this board

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2018

289 by bury133 »»
Dec 25, 2023 4:30 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2018

72 by basskiller »»
Dec 1, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2018

97 by basskiller »»
Nov 28, 2023 5:18 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

62 by basskiller »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:29 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2018

114 by basskiller »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.