Forum Settings
Forums

What book are you reading right now? What books are your favorite?

New
Oct 16, 2018 7:12 AM

Apr 2014
I'm currently reading "The Wisdom of Alexander the Great: Enduring Leadership Lessons from the Man Who Created an Empire" by Lance B. Kurke.

It tells about Alexander the Great and how he won many battles and how we can apply his thinking in our real world situations. And overall, it's just interesting to read his genius solutions that turn odds in his favor in many great battles.

My favorite books would be:
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
1984 by George Orwell
Stoner by John Williams
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Rats in the Walls by H. P. Lovecraft
themanualreader@proton.me
Oct 16, 2018 7:25 AM

Mar 2016
I am reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, The Man Who Couldn't Stop, and a large psychology book. I recently finished reading Brain on Fire. The Hatchet series is my favorite, and has been since I read it in 5th grade. It was a great inspiration for my writing, and nothing has surpassed it since.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 16, 2018 7:28 AM

Apr 2014
YaoiMaster said:
I am reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, The Man Who Couldn't Stop, and a large psychology book. I recently finished reading Brain on Fire. The Hatchet series is my favorite, and has been since I read it in 5th grade. It was a great inspiration for my writing, and nothing has surpassed it since.

You like psychological genre. Study psychology?
Oct 16, 2018 7:29 AM

Mar 2016
Darius said:
YaoiMaster said:

You like psychological genre. Study psychology?
Yes, I plan to become a psychologist.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 16, 2018 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
I'm reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. it's kinda hard to read especially with the fact that its kinda outdated, imagine in a modern book someone wants to describe a special "thing" which allows you to contact with another person who has that "thing", the author would write "cellphone" or just "phone", in neuromancer it would take a one full sentence to describe it, using rare/geeky techno words.

i see why it's called "the Bible of Cyberpunk", it described todays and even tomorrows world but with an eye of an peregrine.

sometimes when you read it, it feels like smoking weed and watching a cyberpunk movie, with vaporwave music and neons and shit.
so far i feel dissapointed but i'll read it to the end.

my favorite books are from stephen king, dark Tower triloggy, The Shining, it, mr mercedes and etc. also a few lovecraft stories.
i also plan to read "Brave New World"

Oct 16, 2018 9:25 AM

Jun 2015
I'm currently reading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr , it's pretty okay so far. Tho I haven't read that much, maybe a 100 pages. It's not bad, maybe a bit supernatural? I don't know that much about the book at all.

I recently finished Into The Water by Paula Hawkins . Kinda dark but also not a very heavy read imo. A mystery physiological book. The mention of suicide got me interested in the book, and it kinda reminded me of a more adult-ish version of 13rw.

My favourite book would be The Book Theif , I just loved it so much.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Oct 16, 2018 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
I'm currently rereading Seneca's Discourses and Selected Writings and reading The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust.

Deatherit said:
sometimes when you read it, it feels like smoking weed and watching a cyberpunk movie, with vaporwave music and neons and shit.
so far i feel dissapointed but i'll read it to the end.

That's an interesting way to put it, I can relate. Sometimes it was great, other times it was a bit confusing and frustrating given all the slang and jargon.
Brave New World is entertaining and easy to read, you'll be in for a treat!
Oct 16, 2018 10:30 AM

Feb 2018
I'm reading Mortal Engines, as I heard there was going to be a movie about it.
Oct 16, 2018 10:47 AM

Sep 2015
I'm currently reading Sophie's World.
My favourite books are Tess of the d'urbervilles I just love it so much, the story is so tragic, & Amagi that (imo) it's like a bunch of mini stories all connected.

「 ⚠︎ 
Oct 16, 2018 4:50 PM

Jul 2016
i haven't read a book in like an entire year but a few of my favourites would be:
ariel - sylvia plath
lolita - vladimir nabokov
south of the border, west of the sun - haruki murakami
the outsider - albert camus
the unbearable lightness of being - milan kundera
flowers in the attic - v.c. andrews
his dark materials (series) - phillip pullman
the secret history - donna tartt
we - yevgeny zamyatin

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Oct 17, 2018 1:10 AM

Apr 2014
petal said:
i haven't read a book in like an entire year but a few of my favourites would be:
ariel - sylvia plath
lolita - vladimir nabokov
south of the border, west of the sun - haruki murakami
the outsider - albert camus
the unbearable lightness of being - milan kundera
flowers in the attic - v.c. andrews
his dark materials (series) - phillip pullman
the secret history - donna tartt
we - yevgeny zamyatin

If you liked We by Yevgeny Zamyatin then try 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or even 451 Farenheit by Ray Bradburry

they're all similar
Oct 17, 2018 1:11 AM

Jul 2013
Currently going through Words of Radiance, the second part in the Stormlight archive series.

I like a lot of books, but my preferred genre is high/dark fantasy.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 17, 2018 3:41 AM

Oct 2018
Currently reading "World Politics: Interests, Interactions, and Institutions." I'm not reading this for pleasure - it's a required reading that I need to complete before my next exam in my PolSci class.

I don't have any favorite books per se as every book is an adventure of its own. My favorite genres tend to be mystery, adventure, history, and horror.
Oct 17, 2018 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
I'm not reading anything rn. I haven't fully read any book in my entire life. The ones I started reading were treasure island (Robert Louis Stevenson), diary of a young girl (Anne Frank), story of my life (Helen Keller) and fault in our stars (John Green), there are more, can't remember the titles though. So I don't have any fav book, I mean like a novel. But I love a picture book (the girl who hated books). picture books may sound childish and lame, but Idc
Oct 17, 2018 7:58 AM

Jul 2013
Have a lot of time to read books nowadays at least until second week of November till I finish up my internship. I don't do much in the office so I read a book, can't fiddle with my phone cause that's just "unprofessional". Anyway, I'm almost done with Playing Saint by Zachary Bartels good stuff considering it's his debut book. Then after that I'm back with the Magisterium series, I'm on the third book. That reminds me, I gotta update my goodreads account.
Oct 17, 2018 9:05 AM

Mar 2018
I'm reading The Trial by Franz Kafka.
A book I recently finished and liked is Born A Crime by Trevor Noah. Other ones I like are:
Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Catcher in The Rye by J. D. Salinger
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Oct 17, 2018 9:26 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I feel such a normie for reading more "fun" books, compared to more "intellectual" ones :'D (I use quotes to just loosen their meaning, not to insult anyone's preferences.)

Here are people reading about psychology, politics or classics and here I am with my simple fantasy book that I'm currently reading "Strange the Dreamer" by Laini Taylor, haha. And before, I just finished a tetralogy of a victorian era romance (each book had a different heroine) :'D

My favorite genres are fantasy and romance (I find myself liking more victorian era stuff than others, though most of them count as guilty pleasure :'D). But sometimes I really get into mystery/detective stuff.

And my all time favorite books span since my child/teenhood, I think.
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (it pretty much shaped magic for me.)
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (VERY interesting ideas, though it kinda lost me on the 3rd book.)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
En Famille by Hector Malot (there, I like a semi-classic!)
Oct 17, 2018 9:37 AM

Jan 2016
Man, I haven't had a time to actually sit down and read a novel(or a book that isn't called a light novel) in a long while. Last book I read was Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger and that was like 5 years ago. I do plan on reading a non fiction book called The New Textbook on Americanism.

As for my favorite books it's Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, The Anthem(all 3 by Ayn Rand), the Harry Potter series, and also the series of YA novels by Rick Riordan(Percy Jackson etc.).
Oct 17, 2018 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
i don't read books
the one i read months ago was "proof of heaven" by eben alexander in two days
it was pretty nice,had my mind blown
Oct 18, 2018 4:18 AM

Aug 2016
I'm curently reading "Mein Kampf" and "La france de Vichy"
Planning to buy the book of LePen in not too long ago
we do a little bit of headbanging here
Oct 18, 2018 6:46 AM

Aug 2012
This is the main thread for this discussion. You're welcome.
My favourite books have to be Camus' and Pessoa's.
I also have an unusual appeal to The Catcher in The Rye.

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - 21 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

20 by ame »»
19 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 5 hours ago

3 by deg »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » JAPAN?

BaronLukis - Apr 17

18 by Ricchan__ »»
31 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

6 by cotetowemixx »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.