Forum Settings
Forums

Read Ded Redemption 2 devs worked multiple 100 hour weeks in 2018 in order to meet deadline

New
Oct 15, 2018 11:15 AM

Apr 2011
Article said:
In early 2011, Dan began chatting with Rockstar San Diego about how Red Dead Redemption 2 would look and who the characters would be. Late that summer, he says, he had a “broad outline and rough flow of the game defined.” By fall 2012, his team had completed rough scripts for many of the game’s missions and started doing read-throughs on video conference calls with directors of game play, art design, and animation from Rockstar offices around the world. On those calls, Dan, who took some acting classes in school, sometimes performed every role. Says motion-capture director Rod Edge, “If the character is high intellect and has Dan’s energy, his acting is perfect.”

The final script for Red Dead Redemption 2’s main story was about 2,000 pages. But if he were to include all the side missions and additional dialogue, and stack the pages, Dan estimates the pile “would be eight feet high.” Bringing the script to life meant 2,200 days of motion-capture work — compared with just five for Grand Theft Auto III — requiring 1,200 actors, all SAG-AFTRA, 700 of them with dialogue. “We’re the biggest employers of actors in terms of numbers of anyone in New York, by miles,” says Dan. Before a motion-capture shoot that would last two or three weeks, there were meetings “four hours each day for four days. We want it as tight as possible for motion-capture because we’re burning a lot of money very quickly [at those sessions].”

“We always did try to dream big,” says Edge, who directed the majority of those sessions, beginning in 2013, at Rockstar’s motion capture studio in Bethpage, New York. As a kid, he says, he had always wanted to direct a Western, with Hitchcockian camera angles shot from characters’ perspectives, and John Ford’s “strong sense of framing.” But Red Dead Redemption 2 was “much harder to direct than a movie, when [the actors] are wearing skin-tight futuristic-looking [mo-cap] suits.”

The polishing, rewrites, and reedits Rockstar does are immense. “We were working 100-hour weeks” several times in 2018, Dan says. The finished game includes 300,000 animations, 500,000 lines of dialogue, and many more lines of code. Even for each RDR2 trailer and TV commercial, “we probably made 70 versions, but the editors may make several hundred. Sam and I will both make both make lots of suggestions, as will other members of the team.”

The result of all their labor, Dan says, is “this seamless, natural-feeling experience in a world that appears real, an interactive homage to the American rural experience. [It’s] a vast four-dimensional mosaic in which the fourth dimension is time, in which the world unfolds around you, dependent on what you do.”

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/the-making-of-rockstar-games-red-dead-redemption-2.html

I don't think I need to say it, but why do you not have unions, America? Nonsense like this should be illegal.
Oct 15, 2018 12:45 PM

Dec 2017
God I feel bad for how much overtime pay they aren't getting because of salary pay.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Oct 15, 2018 1:08 PM

Nov 2008
Crunch time should be restricted by law or outright banned.

Oct 15, 2018 1:54 PM

May 2018
They got paid for it at least...

right?
Oct 15, 2018 2:49 PM

Jul 2013
Game developers need union regulations and media should be more critical because this is always framed in a heartwarming way when its really fucking not.
Oct 15, 2018 3:32 PM

Nov 2008
Doesn't say they were forced to.

Oct 16, 2018 8:13 AM

Aug 2018
Fucking awful. The magazines dare to put that like something admirable. 'Look how much effort we put in our game, when we had our employees working +100h in a week'.

To put you in situation, a week has 168 hours. The normal workweek has 40 hours. So they surpassed that in 60 hours, minimum. They had 68 hours to eat, sleep, meet their families, rest...
Oct 16, 2018 10:08 AM

May 2012
I work 8.5 hours per day and I have one day day off. So 51 hours per week

These people worked twice as much as I did per week
Oct 16, 2018 11:02 AM

Sep 2012
It must feel really bad trying to express how much love and care they have for their project to the point that they don't mind having to work several hours beyond schedule only for it to backfire and having to damage control it because people are too stupid and jump the gun enough to misunderstand that they're overworking the people in charge.

They already made a tweet explaning that is not Telltale's where people were getting overworked against their will only to be laid off with no severance and that they have done so several times. As long as It was THEIR choice not to be paid extra, not wanting any compensation and being fulfilled with just delivering the best product they can make (aka "pride is it's own reward") it's fine.

Not trying to defend the company, I wouldn't really care if Rockstar goes under tomorrow, only truly liked San Andreas and the first Red Dead from them.
GoldenSaltPillarOct 16, 2018 11:11 AM
Oct 16, 2018 1:14 PM

Apr 2016
They really wanted to make those horse balls as realistic as possible, kudos to them.
Oct 16, 2018 1:22 PM

Nov 2016
100 hour work week several times. It doesn't say they worked those hours all of the time.
Isn't it fairly normal for a team to sink in long hours before a deadline like that?

The article conveys to me that they want you to see the dedication they put towards the game and the amount of work that went into it.
Oct 16, 2018 8:11 PM

Apr 2011
Yes, the article does try to convey as if it's a positive thing and Rockstar has come out and stated that no one was "forced" to work the 100 hours. The thing is, the moment they stated this, former employees of Rockstar have come out and disputed this statement, saying that they've faced similar shit back when they were in employment where they weren't "forced", just incredibly "encouraged" to work for much longer or risk not being employed for the development of the next game..... only to be laid off anyway.

I'm not saying that Rockstar is lying, I'm saying that just because Rockstar said they're not forcing anyone, you shouldn't just blindly believe them. After all, if it was another company (think Ubisoft or Activision) would you really be this defensive of them?
Oct 16, 2018 8:43 PM

Sep 2012
i'm a bit bothered if all of that time was wasted mostly not on gameplay.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Oct 17, 2018 7:06 PM

Sep 2016
Hard work but they pushed on knowing they were crafting a masterpiece and the return will be tremendous for Rockstar and I imagine they'll get their fair share of compensation payments from the hard work they poured into it for us consumers.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Oct 17, 2018 7:51 PM

Apr 2016
Hey man you gotta do what you gotta do. i'm sure they get paid very well, and after this I hope this game is GOTY for sure. If it sucks then those 100 hour weeks are gonna be for nothing.
Oct 17, 2018 7:54 PM

Apr 2011
aSuperiorGamer said:
Hard work but they pushed on knowing they were crafting a masterpiece and the return will be tremendous for Rockstar and I imagine they'll get their fair share of compensation payments from the hard work they poured into it for us consumers.

Do you..... even know who Take-Two is? No way in hell are those fuckers gonna give any of the returns to the devs. These are the same people who said that they're losing money on GTA online for not monetising every single bit of it, despite the fact that they've made $6 billion from it.
Oct 18, 2018 8:24 AM

Sep 2016
yhunata said:

Do you..... even know who Take-Two is? No way in hell are those fuckers gonna give any of the returns to the devs. These are the same people who said that they're losing money on GTA online for not monetising every single bit of it, despite the fact that they've made $6 billion from it.

You have a point there but still, maybe this will be different, maybe have a different approach on things. Either way, we won't know until the game comes out.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Oct 18, 2018 8:33 AM

Nov 2011
I don't see anyone there actually complaining. Maybe they are that passionate about the game.

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

7 by _untitled »»
53 minutes ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

9 by Theo1899 »»
2 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

24 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
3 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

136 by L0bsterman »»
10 hours ago

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

21 by L0bsterman »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.