New
Oct 11, 2018 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
I plan on deleting my account soon and would like all my threads deleted
removed-userMay 30, 2021 9:01 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2018 5:31 PM

Jul 2017
I'd say because there are a lot of moments that make you feel pumped, especially if things like the OST are spot on (like in the early eps of BnHA S3)
Oct 11, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 2016
They are usually

-captivating with their premise or energetic mc
-easy to watch
-idealistic
-they have a broad appeal with their diversity, One Piece for example has adeventure, mystery, action, comedy, politics etc.
- they are long and therefore people tend to get more invested in them, this also means bigger fanbases which in turn brings more attention

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2018 6:17 PM

Oct 2018
They're easy to pick up, anyone can understand the themes of them because battle shounens can afford to be blunt.

"I will be Hokage!", "I will become the No.1 hero!", "I will become the best Hunter and find my father who abandoned me as a baby!" the goal is set immediately, you don't have to wonder what the fuck is going on. Compare this to something like Tsuritama, which has no goal set by the characters other than "catch a fish" or something.

That's what I think, anyway, battle shounen are just easy for a large audience to get.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 11, 2018 6:18 PM

Nov 2008
While they are not *my* favorite genre by far, I think there are four really big reasons:

1.Boys like action.

2.Girls like cute/hot boy characters

3. Adults really tend to appreciate emotional depth and bonds that characters form because it grounds the series. Adults like good writing and when it comes to those things, battle shounen does write them well, generally. Also a lot of adults haven't grown out of liking reasons 1 and 2.

4. They are REALLY accessible. Because they are so popular, they're everywhere. So easy to find and watch, even for normies who don't consider themselves to be part of our geek community. Even though I don't really seek out the genre (unless a friend recommends/forces me), they are all so well-known that I'm not only aware they exist and are popular; I even know the names of the characters I haven't even met yet.

Oct 11, 2018 6:59 PM

Dec 2016
- The epic, grand scale feel of the story and setting

- Large and likable casts you get attached to given the lengthy run

- Cool and flashy action sequences that give you goosebumps

- Highly emotional and dramatic moments that tug your heartstrings

- Light and funny moments that put a smile in your face

- Awesome OSTs that stick in your mind forever

In sum: the perfect recipe to make something really attractive and tasty to the general consumer... like me :)
Oct 11, 2018 7:02 PM

May 2017
Arkab said:

In sum: the perfect recipe to make something really attractive and tasty to the general consumer... like me :)
Yea this pretty much sums everything up perfectly. Except for the OST part...most of those are shit.

Kuroshiro Ahegao #3542

Oct 11, 2018 7:09 PM

Dec 2008
Because people like to see other people beating the shit outta each other.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 11, 2018 7:12 PM

Aug 2018
-Easy to watch
-Great action scenes that get you pumped
-Good characters
-Powers of some kind
-Has elements of adventure and comedy as well
-You know exactly what you're getting and most of them are decent
So it appeals to a broad audience and i guess as a kid it would have been easy to discuss about that awesome fight than a more complex anime
Oct 11, 2018 7:19 PM

Apr 2018
Some people like knowing what to expect. When you see an anime like BNHA, you know Midoriya is going to win, the question is how. Plus, as someone already said, the fighting scenes give people a rush of adrenaline. And when the main characters win, it's super satisfying!
Oct 11, 2018 10:27 PM

Jul 2016
Battle shonen stories are popular because of their ability to inspire people to push through adversity. Characters are frequently pushed to their limits just to break them. On an emotional level, this means that we see the character's confidence diminish as they fail but when they find a way to succeed it's like the happiest feeling in the world. I like many others who see life a series of seemingly impossible challenges can really really to these stories. Some of us even credit our favorite shonen heroes as role models.

Oct 11, 2018 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
Because there you find everything.

Great Ost.
Epic entrances
Amazing Fights
MC wining always!
Cool Hot Girls🐸
Oct 12, 2018 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
if i answer that kuma will come to obliterate me so i can't give my opinion sorry op.
Oct 12, 2018 2:49 AM

May 2018
I never understood why.
There are other more intense titles with better action and with the same messages.

Maybe people like long ongoing watered down stories? I also like such things but with different tropes applied - like detective shows or some SOL in weird universes similar to Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou.

Also I have a different hypothesis.
First titles are very important for the formation of anime taste.
For example one of my first was Kagaku Kyuujo-tai TechnoVoyager and to this day I prefer stories with sci-fi, mechanical design, action and space...sadly not many of those...even fewer good ones.
Not that I haven't other interests but those are my priorities when I check the seasonal charts.

And from what I have heard many times - most people started with Pokemon, Yu-Ghi-Oh, Digimon, BayBlade (and other publicity stunts for toys, Bakugan?), DB/DBZ, Naruto, Bleach ect which heavily apply battle tropes and formulas (Yep, those are the same but somehow simplified in kodomo.).

You can blame the media [unintentionally] creating a lot of battle shounen fans.

Not a bad thing actually.
It's an important and influential cultural tradition but I am kind of frustrated that many people think battle shounen is the only worthy thing in anime.

Also I never have adrenaline rush or get pumped up from artificially created tension or unnaturally prolonged fights - those tricks just annoy me.
You guys are conditioned to like them.
Oct 12, 2018 2:51 AM

Apr 2016
Its like asking why is fortnite so popular, the answer is here all the time.
Oct 12, 2018 3:15 AM

Mar 2015
simply, because it's appeal to popular mass... even the first manga that get popular, astro boy is about child who punch others!

tho over the years, their popularity fluctuated, and with the dies of long run, their popularity still strong, but quite different way from what it used to be...

however, family oriented shows is always more popular, pure number wise, so battle shounen is frequently overhyped in popularity...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-30/chibi-maruko-chan-sazae-san-dr-slump-top-list-of-most-viewed-anime-episodes/.97077

Place Title Station Date Time Length Average
Household Rating
1 Chibi Maruko-chan Fuji TV October 28, 1990 (Sun) 18:00 30 min. 39.9
2 Sazae-san Fuji TV September 16, 1979 (Sun) 18:30 30 min. 39.4
3 Dr. Slump Fuji TV December 16, 1981 (Wed) 19:00 30 min. 36.9
4 Dokonjo Gaeru NTV February 23, 1979 (Fri) 18:00 30 min. 34.5
5 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi TBS January 10, 1981 (Sat) 19:00 30 min. 33.6
6 Lupin III final episode NTV December 8, 1978 (Fri) 18:00 30 min. 32.5
7 Touch Fuji TV December 22, 1985 (Sun) 19:00 30 min. 31.9
8 Ashita no Joe NTV March 13, 1980 (Thurs) 18:00 30 min. 31.6
9 Doraemon TV Asahi February 11, 1983 (Fri) 19:00 30 min. 31.2
10 Gegege no Kitarō Fuji TV March 22, 1986 (Sat) 18:30 30 min. 29.6

there is literaly no legitimate battle shounen in top 10....

manga is where battle shounen originated and where they mostly shine...

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1690308
KumaOct 12, 2018 3:27 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 12, 2018 3:22 AM

Jul 2014
Appeals to the masses, easy to get into, you barely have to think while watching them because everything is so simplified most of the time.

Also couldn't have said this better myself.
alshu said:

Also I never have adrenaline rush or get pumped up from artificially created tension or unnaturally prolonged fights - those tricks just annoy me.
You guys are conditioned to like them.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Oct 12, 2018 3:28 AM

Jan 2018
Let me join a role-play minecraft server real quick to find out the answer.
Oct 12, 2018 3:47 AM

May 2018
Kuma said:

Dr. Slump has some elements of battle shounen (Well, Arale is mecha shoujo but...)

Kuma said:
Ashita no Joe NTV March 13, 1980 (Thurs) 18:00 30 min. 31.6

Sport animes use similar tactics and tropes with battle titles.
Oct 12, 2018 4:23 AM

Jul 2017
It's because the fans are making battle shounen popular duh
Oct 12, 2018 5:57 AM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
Kuma said:

Dr. Slump has some elements of battle shounen (Well, Arale is mecha shoujo but...)

Kuma said:
Ashita no Joe NTV March 13, 1980 (Thurs) 18:00 30 min. 31.6

so, arale and ashita no joe is battle shounen?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 12, 2018 5:58 AM

May 2018
Most anime are for teenagers and battle shounen appeal to them. Simple as that.
Oct 12, 2018 6:03 AM
Aug 2016
Because they can be really enjoyable and are very easy to digest?
Oct 12, 2018 6:13 AM
Sep 2017
I love it how OP answered his own question with absolute accuracy.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Oct 12, 2018 6:21 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Everyone pretty much said everything but I’ll add that in terms of Battle Shounen. It’s something most anime and manga fans pick up and it’s a story you grow with and pretty much care for. It’s a narrative that for many of us you’ll go over more than once and desire more of that world. I’ve never felt that pull outside of this.

But lol saying it’s for kiddos is some dumb shit.
StripesOct 12, 2018 6:24 AM
Oct 12, 2018 6:21 AM

Jan 2009
you said it, because its a kids show so the story is simple to follow, have great battles/action, it gives a lot of hopeful feeling to overcome the hardships of life with usually nakama power (power of friendship) lol

im already on my mid 30s and i still enjoy battle shounens im just a kid at heart
Oct 12, 2018 6:43 AM

Mar 2015
also for anyone who said battle shounen is mainly for kids

only 12% of OP fans is below 18 in 2011 (which is 7 years ago btw)....
Oct 12, 2018 6:44 AM
Dec 2016
Y-White said:
Arkab said:

Yea this pretty much sums everything up perfectly. Except for the OST part...most of those are shit.
i mean mostly yeah, except my hero academia ofc 😉
Oct 12, 2018 7:45 AM

Jan 2009
Kuma said:

the problem with that argument is that
- its only about the demographics of 1 shonen show
- shonen is marketed for young people like kids and teenagers right?
- 7 years ago means the 19-29 age range have younger ages and thus they were the target audience of shonen too
Oct 12, 2018 8:03 AM

Feb 2010
Cause they're good. WSJ is probably the hardest manga magazine to get published in, they are pretty harsh and the rest is just survival of the fittest/best stories. By the point that they get an anime adaption, they are already battle-tested and had to convince a large audience for a longer period of time.

Plus ofc it's just mainstream title. Stuff that TV stations all around the world air in the afternoon, or Sunday Morning. Most anime will never get into that position because they're too niche.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 12, 2018 8:03 AM

Feb 2010
huck23231 said:
Y-White said:

Fairy Tail has a fantastic OST as well even if it's one of the weaker battle shounen overall.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 12, 2018 8:06 AM

Jun 2014
Because many of them contain hot guys, and that makes me aroused.

I still don't usually watch battle shounen, but that doesn't stop me from ogling at the guys.

Oct 12, 2018 8:11 AM

May 2018
Kuma said:
alshu said:

In one or other way - yes.

Pullman said:

Fairy Tail has a fantastic OST as well even if it's one of the weaker battle shounen overall.

One Piece also has great BGM.
alshuOct 12, 2018 3:42 PM
Oct 12, 2018 8:15 AM

Mar 2016
Because a lot of them are just very well-written. Becoming a widely known Shounen Jump title is way harder than people give it credit for. There’s a stupid amount of manga getting axed by Jump that just don’t have “it”

Oct 12, 2018 9:14 AM

Sep 2017
There are loads of people who like action, from kids to adults, mainly because they get the feeling that it's 'epic' and 'world changing' and that basically makes them enjoy it - and you watch stuff that you enjoy which is why it's so popular ^_^

My List
Hall Of Quotes
Set By Transience
Oct 12, 2018 9:27 AM

Sep 2015
because they're simple and there's punching and stuff so it doesn't get boring.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 12, 2018 9:43 AM

Feb 2018
I personally like long running battle shows because they are easy to watch and the long time you spend with the show makes you often way more invested in it.
But they are probably so popular because they are so simply accesable for newbies and the older fans often watched them on tv as a kid and now still love them because of the nostalgia.
Oct 12, 2018 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
here are my thoughts on shounen
1 - since this genre is already popular, it will get even more popular and on and on
2 - easy to understand
3 - has cool and fluid animation (usually)
4 - superpowers, power system, characters getting stronger, which is something young people look up to
5 - long so people can expect and anticipate what will happen next
Oct 12, 2018 9:55 AM
Jan 2017
Well, for me personally, they tend to be the type of shows that, even though they're action based, they tend to have some of the most emotionally moving moments in anime, as well as just being really inspirational. You generally get attached to the characters really easily and because they are often very long, you see them grow for such a long time that you feel a genuine connection with the show. I really never watch shounen for the action, I mainly watch it because I'm hoping for something that moves me and has characters that I'll love. Not all shounen do this for me, but quite a few have. I feel like that's the main reason people like them so much, but I can't speak for everyone.
Oct 12, 2018 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
They're simple. People like simple shit. Look at American movies. Most of the "blockbusters", which are the most popular, usually are all big battle action movies.
Oct 12, 2018 12:58 PM
Dec 2016
Pullman said:
huck23231 said:

well its not well rounded like mha's but the fight music is darn good i might say ( dragon force is iconicly good)
Oct 12, 2018 1:42 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Because they’re entertaining as fuck and don’t contain deep and convoluted plots

Seiya said:

I still don't usually watch battle shounen, but that doesn't stop me from ogling at the guys.

Which ones though
Oct 12, 2018 1:50 PM

Jun 2014
DepravedMagi said:
Because they’re entertaining as fuck and don’t contain deep and convoluted plots

Seiya said:

Which ones though

Hmm, let's see. I'd say "Kurama" and "Hiei" from Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, the main guy from Food Wars, Naruto's dad, the blonde guy from Boku no Hero Academia, and most of the guys from Magi.

There's likely more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Oct 12, 2018 1:52 PM
Jan 2014
Battle shonen shit is very sterilized and watered down in a way to be palatable to the most amount of people possible without ever challenging them or taking them outside their comfort zone, so it lends itself well to being watched by people who aren’t interested in watching anything other than what everyone else is watching, regardless of how bad it is on average.
Oct 12, 2018 4:49 PM
Oct 2018
I personally like it for the same reason I like Marvel movies and stuff like that. It's really epic and I get like ffff yeah wreck them!! You just get really pumped up (if it's well made) and root for the fighter you like most.

I like superhuman fights the most, especially if they're really well animated, like in Mob Psycho 100 or in Naruto Shippuden the Pain fight.
Oct 12, 2018 4:51 PM
Oct 2018
DepravedMagi said:

Seiya said:

Which ones though

Many battle shounen have handsome people in them, but you could watch almost any anime just for the hot people. But I guess some people still do that idk
Oct 12, 2018 5:50 PM

Apr 2014
easy to market to and sell so is much more common, which allows more people to see it and like it and like things like it
Oct 12, 2018 8:18 PM

Mar 2015
deg said:
Kuma said:

the problem with that argument is that
- its only about the demographics of 1 shonen show
- shonen is marketed for young people like kids and teenagers right?
- 7 years ago means the 19-29 age range have younger ages and thus they were the target audience of shonen too

it's the representation, currently ongoing most popular battle shounen, arguably... also, yes, shounen is sopposed to has demographic of shounen, the argument is that people more often underestimate how wide appeal it is and labelled it "kiddie" shows that somewhat adult enjoy it is an exception or at least not what it intended to be... also, 19-29 is what called "young" or seinen....

alshu said:
Kuma said:

In one or other way - yes.

okay, this is the first one i hear someone labeled arale and ashita no joe as battle shounen...
Oct 13, 2018 2:55 AM

Mar 2015
alshu said:
Kuma said:

okay, this is the first one i hear someone labeled arale and ashita no joe as battle shounen...

And they are not but they have some similar mechanisms behind the scene.
Dr Slump is very Dragon Ball-esque (and this is understandable) and "battle" titles have many common structures and similar tropes with spot titles.

dr slump only similar with DB before Z was a thing... and there is very few battle, mostly slapstick comedy if anything, than battle shounen... and again, what similar structure ashita no joe with modern battle shounen that make them a battle shounen?
Oct 13, 2018 4:42 AM

May 2018
Kuma said:

dr slump only similar with DB

Yep, also to Kajika - the only Toriyama manga I have read.

Kuma said:
before Z was a thing

Which is not very different from Dragon Ball (it has all battle shounen traits) especial at it's end.

Kuma said:
and there is very few battle

Yep but those are very battles shounen-esque, slapstick and all.

Kuma said:
what similar structure ashita no joe with modern battle shounen that make them a battle shounen?

Never watched/read Ashita No Joe but it's sport title and those apply some patterns like how the stakes rise to the sky, how the battles are narrated through some sort of poetic representation not fast real fight, absurd training arcs, heavy focus on personal life drama instead sport technicalities ect.
This is very close to the battle titles - focusing on percipients emptions instead of the conflict itself...or at least give you some decent action instead of some dance routine a la 300 (the 2006 movie).
alshuOct 13, 2018 5:03 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

72 by Anasyub »»
21 seconds ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by Anasyub »»
2 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 2 hours ago

17 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 48 minutes ago

6 by AzafuseKingTora »»
4 minutes ago

» Blackmail netorare hentais are really dumb

Kingdom-ya - Yesterday

12 by Jackson1333 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.