Forum Settings
Forums

Why has the (MMO)RPG Isekai genre become so popular?

New
Oct 7, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2017
Have MMO's grown more popular in Japan? It seems like a lot of lite novel anime adaptations with an Isekai plot have grown quite popular. Most of the anime with these plots take place in an MMO world that doesn't work like an actual MMO.

FenrinnOct 8, 2018 7:19 AM
Oct 7, 2018 4:39 PM
Aug 2011
It's not necessarily MMO players specifically, just gamers / RPGers in general. The MMO concept is just convenient if you want to whisk more than one character from the real world. A series like Konosuba where only one character is whisked away doesn't necessarily need to follow any specific MMO conventions, just RPG-world conventions.

Really, all that happened was someone worked out how to merge gamer culture into a fantasy action series in a particular way, and then everyone else realized they could write that too, so the floodgates opened. SAO was just the template, and people realized they could overtly use gaming ideas for their setting as a shorthand and not have to really come up with a unique setting for their series.
cipheronOct 7, 2018 4:43 PM
Oct 7, 2018 4:55 PM

Sep 2017
Because the isekai genre is like the caviar of anime genres
Oct 7, 2018 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
its a consequence of the mmo generation being old enough to write stories
Oct 7, 2018 5:07 PM

Oct 2014
The only three "MMORPG isekai" I can recall are Overlord, Log Horizon and Isekai Maou, where someone got transfered into another world based on their MMO game characters. Two of them aren't even VR. And one of them has aired quite a while ago.

And for the Xth time, SAO IS NOT ISEKAI. PERIOD.

Once you read a little bit of the isekai WN/LN/manga called "The New Gate", you will never be able to call SAO an isekai again. Reading a few Chinese and Korean VRMMORPG novels, also helps in understanding that it's non-sense to call SAO an isekai.
Oct 7, 2018 5:10 PM

Aug 2017
because it sells and they wanna make what sells
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2018 5:17 PM

May 2014
ResKori said:
Grey-Zone said:
The only three "MMORPG isekai" I can recall are Overlord, Log Horizon and Isekai Maou, where someone got transfered into another world based on their MMO game characters. Two of them aren't even VR. And one of them has aired quite a while ago.

Once you read a little bit of the isekai WN/LN/manga called "The New Gate", you will never be able to call SAO an isekai again. Reading a few Chinese and Korean VRMMORPG novels, also helps in understanding that it's non-sense to call SAO an isekai.

Can call it pseudo isekai. <hello world>

Whether or not SAO is an isekai is just a semantic debate. Personally, i'd class it as one since the characters are trapped in another world. In their case it's a gaming world they're trapped in.

---

The MMORPG Isekai genre is popular because the teenagers need their escapism/wish fulfilment.
Oct 7, 2018 5:20 PM

Oct 2014
ResKori said:
Grey-Zone said:

Those who read various Web Novels like me are actually used to VRMMORPG novels. And I am just stating a fact here, but compared to Weed from LMS, Kirito is trash, relatively speaking. Both Weed and Kirito are the so-called "OP MCs" but Kirito is just OP because "he is naturally good at it", while Weed is a putting his blood and sweat into it to improve himself.

Well I am probably doing an unfair comparison since I compare Anime!Kirito with Novel!Weed, since I am not reading the SAO novels.

fancyjasper said:
ResKori said:

Whether or not SAO is an isekai is just a semantic debate. Personally, i'd class it as one since the characters are trapped in another world. In their case it's a gaming world they're trapped in.

---

The MMORPG Isekai genre is popular because the teenagers need their escapism/wish fulfilment.

It's not a semantics debate. One has AI-controlled fake people called "NPCs" while the other has ACTUAL people living in the world, it's an immense difference. If the events of Overlord were changed to a setting where everything is still inside an actual game, then we would never had any controversy of the protagonist killing "innocent people", because... well, they are "mere NPCs" with faked sentience in that scenario. It's completely different.

Individual, isolated sentient AIs like Kirito's and Asuna's "adopted daughter" are probably an exception to the rule though.
Grey-ZoneOct 7, 2018 5:26 PM
Oct 7, 2018 5:33 PM

May 2014
Grey-Zone said:
ResKori said:

Those who read various Web Novels like me are actually used to VRMMORPG novels. And I am just stating a fact here, but compared to Weed from LMS, Kirito is trash, relatively speaking. Both Weed and Kirito are the so-called "OP MCs" but Kirito is just OP because "he is naturally good at it", while Weed is a putting his blood and sweat into it to improve himself.

Well I am probably doing an unfair comparison since I compare Anime!Kirito with Novel!Weed, since I am not reading the SAO novels.

fancyjasper said:

---

It's not a semantics debate. One has AI-controlled fake people called "NPCs" while the other has ACTUAL people living in the world, it's an immense difference. If the events of Overlord were changed to a setting where everything is still inside an actual game, then we would never had any controversy of the protagonist killing "innocent people", because... well, they are "mere NPCs" with faked sentience in that scenario. It's completely different.

Individual, isolated sentient AIs like Kirito's and Asuna's "adopted daughter" are probably an exception to the rule though.

It is semantic though. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what the definition of isekai is. Take it literally, meaning "different world". Whether it's a game world or not, it's a different world, so it counts as one to me. Then some people define isekai from the tropes they've seen of an otaku guy being literally transported to another world like in re:zero or that new slime anime. Some people think that's what it's about.

Overlord would still count as one too, according to Wikipedia's definition of isekai anyway~ "It may also be one where a formerly virtual world turns into a real one, such as in Log Horizon and Overlord."
Oct 7, 2018 5:39 PM

Jan 2017
Grey-Zone said:

For some current examples we have: Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria, Shichisei no Subaru, Overlord, Isekai Maou, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Goblin Slayer

For some in the past: Log Horizon, No Game no life, Konosuba, Accel world

I never made the claim that SAO was an Isekai in my initial statement, nor did I imply it specifically.
FenrinnOct 8, 2018 7:06 AM
Oct 7, 2018 5:44 PM

Sep 2018
I have no clue, these genres tend to bore the hell outta me. However I can still see some of the appeal, with these types of genres there’s a lot more creativity that can be put in (even though sometimes these anime aren’t creative at all).
But then again, I really haven’t seen many.
Oct 7, 2018 6:06 PM

Oct 2014
fancyjasper said:
Grey-Zone said:

It is semantic though. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what the definition of isekai is. Take it literally, meaning "different world". Whether it's a game world or not, it's a different world, so it counts as one to me. Then some people define isekai from the tropes they've seen of an otaku guy being literally transported to another world like in re:zero or that new slime anime. Some people think that's what it's about.

Overlord would still count as one too, according to Wikipedia's definition of isekai anyway~ "It may also be one where a formerly virtual world turns into a real one, such as in Log Horizon and Overlord."

A game, not a different world. They are literally still "playing a game" just it has no longer the option to log out.
You need to set a clear border between the genres, otherwise you could stretch it so far that even the Chinese series "The King's Avatar" (Quan Zhi Gao Shou) could be considered an isekai, although it's technically just the protagonist literally playing the game on a PC with the events in the game shown to us, the audience, in a more "presentable" way.

And slime doesn't have an Otaku protagonist, btw. Actually many don't have one. Satou from Death March was just a normal video game developer, Youjo Senki's protagonist was a selfish middle-management Salaryman, Overlord had an overworked Salaryman (though loooking at Pandora's Actor, Ainz might have been Otaku-ish at some point) and Slime's protagonist was also a normal senior Salaryman.

Fenrinn said:
Grey-Zone said:

For some current examples we have: Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria, Shichisei no Subaru, Overlord, Isekai Maou, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Goblin Slayer

I never made the claim that SAO was an Isekai in my initial statement, nor did I imply it specifically.

I was refering to one of the other posts when I was writing that part. And by the way, Goblin Slayer is regular fantasy, not isekai.
Grey-ZoneOct 7, 2018 6:21 PM
Oct 7, 2018 6:07 PM

Nov 2014
MMORPG isekai are actually few and far between. Most of them are merely transported or reincarnated into MMO-like world.

Not that any of these matter, isekai anime are essentially fantasy anime. There's really not much of a difference. Functionally it's the same, they still need to build a world and develop the characters the same way. The only difference in the background story of the main character tends to be dealt with pretty lazily.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 7, 2018 6:16 PM

Oct 2014
BurningSpirit said:
MMORPG isekai are actually few and far between. Most of them are merely transported or reincarnated into MMO-like world.

Not that any of these matter, isekai anime are essentially fantasy anime. There's really not much of a difference. Functionally it's the same, they still need to build a world and develop the characters the same way. The only difference in the background story of the main character tends to be dealt with pretty lazily.

True. Looking back most isekai protagonists are one of these 3:

1. Teenage NEET Otaku
2. Adult Salaryman
3. Adult Software Developer

The upcoming Winter isekai anime "Shield Hero" will have a college student as protagonist though, but I don't think that background ever really comes into play here either.
Oct 7, 2018 6:27 PM

Sep 2015
if gamers can't rise up in the real world, they might as well try in the fantasy
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 8, 2018 12:49 AM

Jan 2018
Since japan has their own unique abundance of jrpg genre without even taking a peek into their mmorpg games, I'd say the writing option is unlimited and living in a different world is always exciting to watch in my opinion. It's one of the easy way to give a talent, power, or implied knowledge that would work to the main character's advantage.
Oct 8, 2018 12:50 AM

Aug 2015
Because world is full of videogame nerds who want not just play games but watching shows about playing games
Oct 8, 2018 12:58 AM

Apr 2018
Wow it's as if this question hasn't been asked already
Oct 8, 2018 12:59 AM

Apr 2016
Kerylon said:

It's a weekly cycle of MAL forums what do you expect ? Its like ecchi threads.
Oct 8, 2018 1:00 AM

Apr 2018
Swagernator said:
Kerylon said:

It's a weekly cycle of MAL forums what do you expect ? Its like ecchi threads.

>sprinkles in elitist threads

the good ol' MAL autist special
Oct 8, 2018 2:02 AM

Mar 2015
it all started when Dragon Quest, fanal fantasy, chrono franchise, monster rance, and Monster Hunter is a thing... blame them...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 8, 2018 2:06 AM
Sep 2017
Im sorry but what isekai stands for?
Oct 8, 2018 3:01 AM

May 2014
Grey-Zone said:
fancyjasper said:

A game, not a different world. They are literally still "playing a game" just it has no longer the option to log out.
You need to set a clear border between the genres, otherwise you could stretch it so far that even the Chinese series "The King's Avatar" (Quan Zhi Gao Shou) could be considered an isekai, although it's technically just the protagonist literally playing the game on a PC with the events in the game shown to us, the audience, in a more "presentable" way.

And slime doesn't have an Otaku protagonist, btw. Actually many don't have one. Satou from Death March was just a normal video game developer, Youjo Senki's protagonist was a selfish middle-management Salaryman, Overlord had an overworked Salaryman (though loooking at Pandora's Actor, Ainz might have been Otaku-ish at some point) and Slime's protagonist was also a normal senior Salaryman.

A game is a virtual world. A "different world" if you will. It's a bit different than just sitting and playing a game with a controller. Their entire mental state is there. An isekai can be "where a formerly virtual world turns into a real one" I think you're just missing the point i was making as well. Telling me about all these protagonists is irrelevant to my generalization to explain how some people define isekai by it's trends, rather than by the definition of the word. We're already arguing over it, so doesn't that prove my point that people have their own ideas of the definition?

Anyways i have nothing else to say, so i'll stop derailing this thread now ( ・ω・)ノ
FancyjasperOct 8, 2018 3:09 AM
Oct 8, 2018 3:24 AM

Jan 2018
fancyjasper said:
Grey-Zone said:

A game is a virtual world. A "different world" if you will. It's a bit different than just sitting and playing a game with a controller. Their entire mental state is there. An isekai can be "where a formerly virtual world turns into a real one" I think you're just missing the point i was making as well. Telling me about all these protagonists is irrelevant to my generalization to explain how some people define isekai by it's trends, rather than by the definition of the word. We're already arguing over it, so doesn't that prove my point that people have their own ideas of the definition?

Anyways i have nothing else to say, so i'll stop derailing this thread now ( ・ω・)ノ

You're not derailing anything. You're properly now and then, here and there with your statements.
Oct 8, 2018 3:26 AM

May 2014
hazecloud said:
fancyjasper said:

You're not derailing anything. You're properly now and then, here and there with your statements.

I see what you did there b( ̄▽ ̄*)
Oct 8, 2018 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
it's all about profitttt
money is everythinggg
Oct 8, 2018 3:50 AM

Sep 2014
Grey-Zone said:

That's semantics at best.

Isekai is just events taking place in another world. It being a virtual one changes effectively nothing. Kirito and the rest are trapped in a virtual world with no means of escape. That's isekai. "Period."

Your korean novels are irrelevant here really
Oct 8, 2018 3:57 AM

Jan 2018
Because it makes a shitload of money.
Oct 8, 2018 3:57 AM

Mar 2017
cipheron said:
It's not necessarily MMO players specifically, just gamers / RPGers in general. The MMO concept is just convenient if you want to whisk more than one character from the real world. A series like Konosuba where only one character is whisked away doesn't necessarily need to follow any specific MMO conventions, just RPG-world conventions.

Really, all that happened was someone worked out how to merge gamer culture into a fantasy action series in a particular way, and then everyone else realized they could write that too, so the floodgates opened. SAO was just the template, and people realized they could overtly use gaming ideas for their setting as a shorthand and not have to really come up with a unique setting for their series.

Okay, this guy has it down pat. Though I feel I could expand on what he means by shorthand.

Isekai is not a fairly new concept. This decade did not see the first people to fall down a rabbit hole or frolic into a fantasy world within a wardrobe. Isekai, by design, is the ultimate expression of one of the basic tenets of world-building: the learning curve. There’s a reason why several fantasy stories start in a quiet town or village with country bumpkin number 20130230. Towns generally aren't the most whimsical place in a story so they serve to establish something familiar and ground the story before the crazy fantastical of the great wide yonder. That country bumpkin character becomes your POV into introducing the wonders of your world in a way that allows the viewers to experience the world just as the characters are. You establish the setting with a character who is unfamiliar with it, allowing for more leeway in introducing said world.

MMORPG-based isekai series have one more distinct advantage over other isekai types: MMORPG mechanics allow for a pretty strong backbone in constructing a hard magic system. In fact, it’s one of the easiest ways of establishing a hard magic system, really.

Hard magic systems, as opposed to soft magic systems, have clearly defined rules so that the reader can understand and predict them, in accordance with Brandon Sanderson’s first of three laws of magic: “An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic.”
This allows the reader/viewer to participate in the storytelling because the reader/viewer now has a clearer idea of what the characters can do and if he/she is quick enough, he/she can predict what the characters could and would do based on their capabilities.

Quick, what does an MMORPG offers you? It offers relatively clearer defined rules that you could understand if you play RPGs or reading the basic straight-forward rules of the game genre.

So, it goes doubly easy for MMORPG-Isekai combo than just isekai alone.

Fenrinn said:

Oh nein nein nein nein.

Goblin Slayer is not isekai. There's nobody transported from another world. And for the life of me, I can't recall NGNL having MMORPG elements enough to qualify it as an MMO-Isekai.

Also, just so we're clear, titles like Master of Ragnarok and KonoSuba is isekai and has RPG elements, but they're not necessarily MMORPG per se. One could argue that they follow ye olde Dungeons & Dragons adventurer party conventions. It's semantics at this point though.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 8, 2018 4:11 AM

Jan 2018
@Eanki If not mistaken, you can basically play a game with anyone and there's something to gain or lose in a game. Basically everyone is a player in that world instead of solely regarded as npc. NGNL definitely has that mmo setting.
Oct 8, 2018 4:13 AM

Mar 2017
hazecloud said:
@Eanki If not mistaken, you can basically play a game with anyone and there's something to gain or lose in a game. Basically everyone is a player in that world instead of solely regarded as npc. NGNL definitely has that mmo setting.

Well, yes, if we're talking about the MM part of MMO. But I don't think it's quite yet at the RPG part. Maybe that's just me.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 8, 2018 4:14 AM

Mar 2017
because:
>self-fantasizing
>harem
>op powers
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Oct 8, 2018 4:19 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
hazecloud said:

I mean, then it can be applied to a lot of things - then we'd have to consider the first arc of Kaiji would pretty much be considered an MMO setting because there's a ton of people on that boat and everybody is playing somewhat, forming teams and enemies and such, and everybody has something they're trying to win and you can play it with basically anybody except the people staffing the boat, which could be considered GMs in a sense. That kind of feels like not much more than a technicality and a vague one at that, so I'm kind of iffy on the assertion, honestly.

I kind of feel like the only reason NGNL is getting asserted as an MMO type setting is because the setting is somewhat fantastical, which again, is kind of vague but that's the setting most commonly associated with MMOs (albeit not inherent to them mind you), on top of being an ecchi with an OP protag and the association of tandems like that with MMORPG style anime to begin with. Because I do kind of feel when it's really being whittled down, these assertions feel...kind of rooted in being purely in a technical sense with no other variables being taken into consideration, and in technicalities that aren't even necessarily inherently going to turn a setting into an MMO-type one at that.

----

Also anybody saying Goblin Slayer is an isekai should probably look up what an isekai actually is, because that it most definitely is not. Like, there is no room for interpretation or debate, that is just an objectively incorrect claim.

Are we really reaching the point where we're going to consider non-isekai whatsoever series to be isekai just because they have RPG style elements to their fantasy setting? Is that all it takes for you people to get up an arms about the perceived oversaturation of isekai anime? Series that aren't even isekai to begin with?

Jesus, just wrap my balls around a tree trunk and pin them there with a staple gun. That'd probably give me more joy than the sort of reaching complaints about oversaturation of a certain type of anime, that can't even stay consistent about what's oversaturating the medium for a few fucking months. Never forget magical school harems and not so long ago, when those were basically the thing isekai is right now, and now nobody even fucking talks about them. Let alone that most of these types of series - isekai or magic school harems and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with whatever had come before those two - have only ever constituted a very, very small percentage of the anime releases in a given timespan to the point where their relative prominence isn't even all that noteworthy, but hard numbers don't seem to work with people and they try to do some self-convincing workaround to continue fueling the narrative, as I've learned in the past, so fuck it all I guess >_>

Just let me drop that same 'ol "is all about the money hurr durr" response that everybody defaults to without a second thought, because I'm just not even wanting to try anymore at this point. Stupid, edgy teenage ascriptions of selfish creative intent because everybody follows Machevellian bullshit because you have tunnel vision or something.
ManabanOct 8, 2018 4:35 AM

Oct 8, 2018 4:27 AM

Jan 2018
Lisbon said:
hazecloud said:

I mean, then it can be applied to a lot of things - then we'd have to consider the first arc of Kaiji would pretty much be considered an MMO setting because there's a ton of people on that boat and everybody is playing somewhat, forming teams and enemies and such, and everybody has something they're trying to win and you can play it with basically anybody except the people staffing the boat, which could be considered GMs in a sense. That kind of feels like not much more than a technicality and a vague one at that, so I'm kind of iffy on the assertion, honestly.

I kind of feel like the only reason NGNL is getting asserted as an MMO type setting is because the setting is somewhat fantastical, which again, is kind of vague but that's the setting most commonly associated with MMOs (albeit not inherent to them mind you), on top of being an ecchi with an OP protag and the association of tandems like that with MMORPG style anime to begin with. Because I do kind of feel when it's really being whittled down, these assertions feel...kind of rooted in being purely in a technical sense with no other variables being taken into consideration, and in technicalities that aren't even necessarily inherently going to turn a setting into an MMO-type one at that.

I think it has something to do with the scene where he talks to god. I think of him as a server owner, or game administrator. Of course it's more exciting if there's a life or death situation to get the otherworldly experience more exciting. More explanations are available in NGNL movie if not mistaken but my memory is quite vague and jumbled up with mondaiji-tachi anime setting.
Oct 8, 2018 4:37 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
hazecloud said:
Lisbon said:

I think it has something to do with the scene where he talks to god. I think of him as a server owner, or game administrator. Of course it's more exciting if there's a life or death situation to get the otherworldly experience more exciting. More explanations are available in NGNL movie if not mistaken but my memory is quite vague and jumbled up with mondaiji-tachi anime setting.

I mean yeah, I kind of drew that comparison with the first arc of Kaiji and how there were characters that played roles similar to an MMO setting within said arc xP For some reason, I don't feel like many are willing to treat Kaiji as an MMO anime on these grounds, but NGNL is being done as such - which, like I said, kind of feels like it has to do more with the setting and OP protag than actually being...MMO-like.

Those who dictate the ways people will compete within a setting can always be tied into this, and those who compete doing the natural ways of competition can as well. Neither of these are inherent to an MMO setting, they're just constructs you see in a wide variety of places. This game show can have an MMO setting by this type of logic, because there are organizers and a host and people compete with each other to try and take their two man team to the top. Host is a GM, organizers are owners and admins, the participants are the players, and they go across psuedo adventures to try to win over the other teams or what have you, kind of like they're just small two man guilds racing others in trying to get the first clear on a raid boss or something.

I will accept NGNL as an MMO setting on this basis when more people accept the Boat arc in Kaiji as an MMO setting, albeit hesitantly since I feel it's kind of a hot take.
ManabanOct 8, 2018 4:46 AM

Oct 8, 2018 4:45 AM

Jan 2018
@Lisbon the only reason why it won't be counted as that might be because it's not a fantasy genre or that other world that he's in is just a saying of how he lives his life differently as opposed to a normal productive citizen if there was a narrative saying that.
Oct 8, 2018 4:47 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
hazecloud said:
@Lisbon the only reason why it won't be counted as that might be because it's not a fantasy genre or that other world that he's in is just a saying of how he lives his life differently as opposed to a normal productive citizen if there was a narrative saying that.

And like I've said already, man, fantasy is just commonly associated with it, and I do kind of contest it being considered the only way to constitute an MMO setting honestly xP Whether the world can be grouped in with fantasy constructs or not is absolutely not a sufficient basis.

'cause, y'know, non-fantasy MMOs do exist if we're talking fantasy setting in of itself. Unless, somehow we want to find a way to group comic book style superhero settings in with the Warcraft setting so we can call them fantasy.

But either way, my main point with everything that I've been saying here is that this sort of connecting thread that's trying to be established with an MMO style setting is just...too vague to be actually useful or telling about the setting itself. At this point it's just trying to link series together based on incredibly loose technicalities that aren't even inherent to an MMO-style setting to begin with - far from it, actually, it's just borderline spreading misinformation through a weak justification.

Like I said when I brought up Legends of the Hidden Temple or the Boat Arc in Kaiji - would you feel like you're actually telling somebody an honest, useful assessment of a series setting by describing it them as being MMO like? Because they both very much do fall under MMO settings on your current definition, albeit I do think many people would reasonably disagree with that assessment given that they're really not, and your definition just follows any type of event that's organized and features some sort of game being played.

Think about it for a moment - Bingo Halls are MMO settings and the caller is the GM under your definition. And while the comparison isn't unreasonable, telling somebody that an anime about people playing bingo is an MMO setting certainly seems unreasonable. Does it really seem reasonable to group that hypothetical bingo series in with the likes of SAO or Overlord or Log Horizon on this basis?

Which all of that and everything else I've said here in contention has neglected the "O" in "MMO," which in of itself would collapse your definition of an MMO setting and the concept of NGNL being an MMO setting (as well as all of the examples I've listed so far sans bringing up City of Heroes in this post), but I do kind of want to focus primarily on the what constitutes the other aspects of an MMO setting in our discussion here, given that what's you've been focusing on the most from the outset with NGNL. I just feel like that's worth noting for clarification's sake, given some of the examples I've been using. Plus it's more interesting and requires more thought from us, and just tossing out it not having the "O" which is kind of a vital aspect to "MMO" seems lame to me :P
ManabanOct 8, 2018 5:09 AM

Oct 8, 2018 4:55 AM

Aug 2015
Fenrinn said:
Grey-Zone said:

Do you even have any knowledge of what isekai actually is?

Also,how is goblin slayer even an isekai? No one is transported or reincarnated into other world,It's a regular fantasy series.
Oct 8, 2018 5:45 AM

Jul 2017
Because of Sword Art Online apparently
Oct 8, 2018 6:59 AM

Jan 2017
Lisbon said:

Also anybody saying Goblin Slayer is an isekai should probably look up what an isekai actually is, because that it most definitely is not. Like, there is no room for interpretation or debate, that is just an objectively incorrect claim.

Are we really reaching the point where we're going to consider non-isekai whatsoever series to be isekai just because they have RPG style elements to their fantasy setting? Is that all it takes for you people to get up an arms about the perceived oversaturation of isekai anime? Series that aren't even isekai to begin with?

Jesus, just wrap my balls around a tree trunk and pin them there with a staple gun. That'd probably give me more joy than the sort of reaching complaints about oversaturation of a certain type of anime, that can't even stay consistent about what's oversaturating the medium for a few fucking months. Never forget magical school harems and not so long ago, when those were basically the thing isekai is right now, and now nobody even fucking talks about them. Let alone that most of these types of series - isekai or magic school harems and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with whatever had come before those two - have only ever constituted a very, very small percentage of the anime releases in a given timespan to the point where their relative prominence isn't even all that noteworthy, but hard numbers don't seem to work with people and they try to do some self-convincing workaround to continue fueling the narrative, as I've learned in the past, so fuck it all I guess >_>

Just let me drop that same 'ol "is all about the money hurr durr" response that everybody defaults to without a second thought, because I'm just not even wanting to try anymore at this point. Stupid, edgy teenage ascriptions of selfish creative intent because everybody follows Machevellian bullshit because you have tunnel vision or something.

Yes yes I realize now that Goblin Slayer was a mistake to throw in. I merely added it because of the “RPG style elements” whilst completely ignoring my topic.
Oct 8, 2018 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
The ability of MAL users to argue about things, which aren't up to debate never ceases to amaze me.

Kazuto Kirigaya doesn't go anywhere during the Aincrad Arc. He's laying in a hospital bed the entire time.

And at most, you could argue about the Aincrad Arc being an Isekai, but that is only a part of Sword Art Online.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 8, 2018 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
Why did you remove the "fuck off" part?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 8, 2018 4:47 PM

Aug 2018
It's not too hard to make and it makes money

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

126 by traed »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

96 by EastIndiaCompany »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 34 minutes ago

9 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

126 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

72 by Pinoffin »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.