Forum Settings
Forums

Why isn't "Mahou Shoujo, but with boys" a thing?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Oct 7, 2018 10:45 PM

You answered your own question, it's in the name. It's a genre for female leads, but that doesn't mean magical boys WITHIN these titles don't exist. Transformation sequences or not, they're there. Otherwise, magical boys would just be put into fantasy or superpower tbh.

TripleSRank said:
Sailor Moon had male sailors in the final season who, regrettably, turn into cross dressers when they transform.

The Sailor Starlights were always female. The cross dressing was for their civilian disguises.

If the only critique for guys to be magical is a transformation sequence, we're all forgetting the OG here

Oct 7, 2018 10:48 PM

Because when young middle school boys gain magical powers.. the anime turns into a hentai

Oct 8, 2018 1:16 AM
um because the name is mahou shoujo which means in english (magic girl)

Oct 8, 2018 3:25 AM

CMYK said:
TripleSRank said:
Sailor Moon had male sailors in the final season who, regrettably, turn into cross dressers when they transform.

The Sailor Starlights were always female. The cross dressing was for their civilian disguises.

In the anime, which is what most people are familiar with, they are male.

You’re referring to the manga canon, which the original anime took a lot of liberties with.

Oct 8, 2018 5:37 AM

I personally would have no interest in it, so I don't mind.

Oct 8, 2018 5:49 AM

Wouldn't that be mahou shounen ? Lol

Oct 8, 2018 5:50 AM

Wouldn't that be mahou shounen ? Lol that's something totally unheard.

Oct 8, 2018 5:56 AM

zrdb said:
CRINGE-god help us all if that kind of shit should ever become mainstream.

Precure is a pretty mainstream Mahou Shoujo series, in japan anyway
and in the west there is Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica
why would it be bad if it became mainstream?
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR

Oct 8, 2018 6:00 AM

Well, there is Binan koukou which is also somewhat of a parody based on the Mahou Shoujo and Yaoi/Shounen-ai genre
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR

Oct 8, 2018 7:37 AM

Just let your imgagination fly and you probably know what i mean^^

Oct 8, 2018 5:34 PM

TripleSRank said:
CMYK said:

You’re referring to the manga canon, which the original anime took a lot of liberties with.

This is true, in the anime their disguise was sexually male. It feels weird using them as an example for magical boys though (to me), since that’s just it, it was still a disguise / as senshi they were still female.

Oct 10, 2018 1:36 PM

Boobsftw said:
Just let your imgagination fly and you probably know what i mean^^

That's not what I'm worried will fly all over the place-it's something else. (Use your imagination).
Life Is Short But Intense.

Oct 10, 2018 1:42 PM

ProfessionalNEET said:
Well that sort of exists:

Anime: Is This a Zombie

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER AND NOBODY LOOKS BETTER THAN AYUMU.

...............everyone else is just a f*ckin poser. xD

Oct 10, 2018 2:20 PM

CMYK said:
TripleSRank said:

This is true, in the anime their disguise was sexually male. It feels weird using them as an example for magical boys though (to me), since that’s just it, it was still a disguise / as senshi they were still female.

That depends on your perspective. In most mahou shoujo the “true form” of the characters is their everyday non-superpowered self. I believe it’s what most people think of as the “default state”.

With Sailor Moon specifically it’s debatable. The original Sailor Senshi were Lunarians who died trying to protect their world and Earth. Due to the actions of Queen Serenity during said events they were able to reincarnate as humans centuries later. The question that then arises is whether we should take their race (humanity) or their soul/essence (lunarian) as being their “true self”— and that’s not an easy question to answer in my opinion. I can see claiming either side as the “true self” as having merit. A big part of Usagi’s early character development regards coming to grips with the fact that she is not the person she always felt like she was (and who she wanted to be), and she initially outright rejects the memories and feelings she obtained when she first recalled her former life.

For the Sailor Starlights we’re given even less information, at least in the anime. All we know is that they’re of an alien race seeking revenge on Galaxia due to Galaxia destroying their homeworld and people. We don’t know if they’re originals or reincarnations, and we definitely aren’t told which version of them is the “true self”— hence my assumption that most people will take their “human state” to be the default, be it true or not.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]