Forum Settings
Forums

how heavily are you influenced by fear of missing out (FOMO) on anime?

New
Oct 6, 2018 2:59 PM

Dec 2017
this is quite a common thing which roughly can be characterized as a social anxiety as "a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing".
you can find more info here

do you try to watch all the trendy stuff that everybody's talking about?
do you always jump on the hype train that everyone's taking?
do you follow all the news related to the anime media?
do you always try to watch the episodes as soon as they come out to discuss them?

maybe you're taking things even higher to the extremes? i don't know, but i'm curious, so tell me about it

and also, do you think these FOMO activities influence your life in a negative way?
Oct 6, 2018 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
I only watch things if it is quality.

If I dislike it, I'll hop off it
Oct 6, 2018 3:00 PM

Apr 2016
No OP, im not a salve to the social medias as many people around me.
Oct 6, 2018 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
do you try to watch all the trendy stuff that everybody's talking about? i have watched most of it but it was pure coincidence except for naruto
do you always jump on the hype train that everyone's taking? uhh idk
do you follow all the news related to the anime media? hell no lmao
do you always try to watch the episodes as soon as they come out to discuss them? no
Oct 6, 2018 3:10 PM

May 2009
I ignore trends, hype, etc., because I don't watch anime to interact with/hang out with/talk about it with other people. I choose what to watch based on what I feel like watching.

That said, I sometimes worry that I can't actually get through my PTW before I die.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 6, 2018 3:14 PM

Apr 2016
While sometimes I do think I'm missing out a lot and feel left out of the discussion when it comes to seasonal shows and a lot of the threads here I also remember that it's no use in forcing myself in watching every single show that comes out and that's how I've always been. In fact, years ago I would actively avoid a lot of popular shows like the plague and focus on more underrated stuff, not because I was a hipster, but because I wanted to dig deeper into the medium rather than watch everything that's trendy. And it's not like I was going to be super cool even if I did. Now I just watch whatever I want, whether it's popular or not, since both popular and more underrated shows have ended up in my favorites (outside of just my list here) and I just embrace whatever show interests me.
Oct 6, 2018 3:15 PM

Dec 2017
ResKori said:
The only people I discuss anime with are some online friends, and the MAL community.
so you're telling me this isn't enough to constantly stay in touch without missing anything out? what if MAL starts talking about a certain show a lot or your friends will start telling you how good a recent episode of a new show was. will you not even bugde?
Oct 6, 2018 3:15 PM

Feb 2010
Not very much. That was more of a crypto thing for me -.-

do you always try to watch the episodes as soon as they come out to discuss them?

1. No, I usually watch stuff after they air and nobody is talking about them anymore.
2. I try to, hype is good and increases enjoyment.
3. No, I don't follow news at all. I'll find out sooner or later anyway.
4. No not at all. I'm patient in that sense.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 6, 2018 3:18 PM

May 2014
I missed out on Franxx and thank god for that, it was a trainwreck from what I've heard.
Oct 6, 2018 3:22 PM

Jan 2016
I'm more curious about stuff, I would say. I do desire talking to people but I'm not worried much about being left out.
Oct 6, 2018 3:23 PM
Apr 2018
Slightly. I like watching anime for the first time on US blu-ray but I kind of hate that I miss out on the discussions that go on when an episode first airs. For example, I watched the first epsiode of SAO Alicization today just to participate in all of the hype discussion but from here on I'll probably stop watching until the first US blu-ray volume.

MAL has all of the series I'm waiting on.
Oct 6, 2018 3:24 PM

Sep 2017
I'm afraid that when I die I'm gonna miss out on all the cool shit in the future
Oct 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Apr 2017
I keep up with ongoings for years, sans some seasons when I was doing something else or busy, not necessarily because I want to be on the hype or anything, but I like to watch on week by week basis.

Though I do care a bit more than before about watching new episodes shortly after they air recently, since I started to be a bit more serious about commenting about it on MAL. I can't really say it would have any positive or negative influence. I watch less anime per day than I would back when I did not comment, but that's obvious side effect of spending time on something else. I did post on other, non-anime related, forums before, where the consequences were similar. Generally I don't think it should have negative effects, since on days when I don't have time I simply don't watch, and I usually have time for a few episodes daily.

Other than that, I don't think I meet any other conditions that you mentioned. I don't particularly care if something is popular, I try everything interesting and either keep watching or drop it. I used to follow news long time ago, but since haruhichan died, I kinda stopped, since it was my main source for it. I care little about it now.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 6, 2018 3:31 PM

Jul 2017
I give a try to everything, something being popular and/or high rated only makes me watch it sooner, or makes me give it a second shot by watching another episode if I would otherwise drop it, but that's as far as it goes.
I don't think lots of people watch things while being absolutlely bored as shit just cause it's hype, if people do that they're extremely rare.
justcaolan said:
I'm afraid that when I die I'm gonna miss out on all the cool shit in the future
who says you do? nobody knows what's after death, god may be a weeb arguing online about his favourite anime.. well that's taking it far but we can't know.
Oct 6, 2018 3:36 PM

Sep 2017
Zehennagel said:
I give a try to everything, something being popular and/or high rated only makes me watch it sooner, or makes me give it a second shot by watching another episode if I would otherwise drop it, but that's as far as it goes.
I don't think lots of people watch things while being absolutlely bored as shit just cause it's hype, if people do that they're extremely rare.
justcaolan said:
who says you do? nobody knows what's after death, god may be a weeb arguing online about his favourite anime.. well that's taking it far but we can't know.

Well I'm an atheist so if I'm right nothing happens and if I'm wrong I'm going to hell so I don't have much to look forward to after death
Oct 6, 2018 3:36 PM

Jan 2009
not much i do not watch the new ongoing season of SAO for example

but if a show is so popular that it kinda interest me then i will look for spoilers of it at least especially what the ending is about (this what i might do with SAO later on when it finish airing)
Oct 6, 2018 3:44 PM

Jul 2017
justcaolan said:
Zehennagel said:

Well I'm an atheist so if I'm right nothing happens and if I'm wrong I'm going to hell so I don't have much to look forward to after death
again, who says you're going to hell? in the first places sacred books have all been written by humans, meaning we can't realy trust them.
I'm a(term who I've forgotten) basicaly I think there's probably something after life, and I hope so but I won't think about it too much or believe in one religion. and there are a fuckloads of little reasons for that but one of the mains ones is what I said to you.
so you don't have to be so negative, just uncertain. this is not my place to say since I've been depressed and negative lately but who gives a shit, self argument ad hominem get outta here
Oct 6, 2018 3:45 PM

Sep 2018
A little I guess, I would like to at least be informed on what’s relevant and what isn’t. I don’t keep up with all the seasonal anime though, I just pick what interests me. I normally find 1 or 2 anime per season I might keep up with. I don’t like hopping on bandwagons if I’m uninterested. However sometimes I’ll be more willing to get into something if a lot of people are talking about it, I feel outcast if I’m out of the loop completely.
What does affect me is that I’m socially anxious and introverted, and I don’t like leaving my house often. And since I’m also still pretty young, I feel like I’m missing out on a lot of things I won’t be able to do when I’m older.
returntothenhkOct 6, 2018 3:48 PM
Oct 6, 2018 3:47 PM

Dec 2017
ResKori said:
uninstallthegame said:
so you're telling me this isn't enough to constantly stay in touch without missing anything out? what is MAL starts talking about a certain show a lot or your friends will start telling you how good a recent episode of a new show was. will you not even bugde?

Yes. Because I don't really care what MAL averages on a certain anime, and I only have 1 online friend who also watches anime, and actually wants to discuss the plot.

I come and go on MAL. I've made an account then I was gone for a lot of years, now I came back because mostly... I got nothing else to do.

I won't budge because I read more manga than watch anime, even though I haven't updated my list. And none of my friends reads manga. So when there is anime adaptation of something, I mostly know what's going to happen, it's the fact that its animated that I wish to watch it.

Take the slime anime of this season for example.
I was reading the novel way before the manga, and the anime, and enjoyed it. I know the plot, I know what's going to happen. So nobody can really influence me (even if such people existed) whether I choose to watch it RIGHT NOW, or I choose to stack episodes, and then binge watch it, the latter being way more common than the first.

if what you say is true, then i can only commend you for how low the influence rate is for you. even though your ln/manga example covers only the titles you've read, but what about something popular that you haven't read? but i will not continue this, i'm sure people like you are in the minority and it's not a bad thing

as the name says it's fear. fear and anxiety aren't good things, so if you're in the minority that means you are experiencing less of those. so good for you, mate
Oct 6, 2018 3:51 PM

Jul 2012
Not even a little bit. In fact I would argue it's the exact opposite in some cases where hearing a ton of hype around shows that I haven't started it tends to discourage me from watching them as they air. Although I do follow anime news for confirmations but I almost never research the shows beforehand and just decide if it's something I would be interested in based on the genres and description. I never discuss episodes as they release because I have no desire to.
GamerDLMOct 6, 2018 3:54 PM
Oct 6, 2018 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
I don't really follow seasonal since it's my rule not to follow airing animes, I usually just plan on watching them later on if they interest me.

I don't participate in anime discussion even here, actually I don't even usually talk with anyone at all outside family (I have to, since I don't live alone) both online and IRL.

The only news of the media I follow are sporadic MAL news that pick my interest, other than that none.

I guess I'm as far from that definition as I can be?
Oct 6, 2018 3:56 PM

Apr 2018
I prefer to stay out of the hype of things, and for this I have a large list of anime to watch and choose from. The only time this impacts me in a negative way, would be when some of my friends start talking about the latest MHA episodes or the cells at work show, other than that i'm largely unaffected by the idea of missing out on something.
Oct 6, 2018 4:01 PM

Dec 2017
simon443 said:
I don't really follow seasonal since it's my rule not to follow airing animes, I usually just plan on watching them later on if they interest me.

I don't participate in anime discussion even here, actually I don't even usually talk with anyone at all outside family (I have to, since I don't live alone) both online and IRL.

The only news of the media I follow are sporadic MAL news that pick my interest, other than that none.

I guess I'm as far from that definition as I can be?

i would say you're in the minority for the most part. the sporadic MAL news aren't a factor here it's just a random article that caught your attention, it has no matter to FOMO

so yeah, less social anxiety to miss out and more time to do other things. it's a win-win situation for you

Feb 2017
didnt know there was a term for that, now i know

Sep 2017
Zehennagel said:
justcaolan said:

again, who says you're going to hell? in the first places sacred books have all been written by humans, meaning we can't realy trust them.
I'm a(term who I've forgotten) basicaly I think there's probably something after life, and I hope so but I won't think about it too much or believe in one religion. and there are a fuckloads of little reasons for that but one of the mains ones is what I said to you.
so you don't have to be so negative, just uncertain. this is not my place to say since I've been depressed and negative lately but who gives a shit, self argument ad hominem get outta here

That's a pretty good point and there's nothing I can say to dispute it but I still think that after death all that awaits us is eternal nothingness which isn't necessarily a bad thing and I doubt anything's ever gonna change my mind on that
Oct 6, 2018 4:06 PM

Aug 2013
uninstallthegame said:

i would say you're in the minority for the most part. the sporadic MAL news aren't a factor here it's just a random article that caught your attention, it has no matter to FOMO

so yeah, less social anxiety to miss out and more time to do other things. it's a win-win situation for you

I wouldn't say less social anxiety, as mine is placed elsewhere.
I am actually scared of discussing my opinions, to the point of having the reflex of escaping everytime i have to defend my points... I'd rather have what you described then be the way I am tbh.
Oct 6, 2018 4:06 PM

Aug 2017
I think about 2 or 3 percent or somewhere around there
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 4:07 PM

Nov 2016
i think that 3 out of 10 anime I watch are because of FOMO But if its bad then I drop it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 4:08 PM

Apr 2018
Guilty as charged. Except that I try to watch episodes as soon as it is aired but a lot of times I procrastinate and then binge it later with a few more episodes.

Kurasawa_Gai28 said:
didnt know there was a term for that, now i know

My thoughts exactly..!!
Oct 6, 2018 4:09 PM

Sep 2017
ResKori said:
justcaolan said:

Don't be sad. We're talking about eternity in heaven. Most people fail to realize the significance of "eternity". Imagine all the weird shit they'd do just to keep themselves amused, to eventually be eternally bored.

If Heaven really is the "paradise" that it's described as then you'll never get bored and you'll just be in an eternal state of happiness

And for all we know, lucifer could've created a far more enjoyable place just to spite god. :D

If Heaven really is the "paradise" that it's described as then you'll never get bored and you'll just be in an eternal state of happiness

Lucifer would never create a place better than heaven just because of how much he hates humanity
Oct 6, 2018 4:13 PM

Dec 2017
simon443 said:
uninstallthegame said:

I wouldn't say less social anxiety, as mine is placed elsewhere.
I am actually scared of discussing my opinions, to the point of having the reflex of escaping everytime i have to defend my points... I'd rather have what you described then be the way I am tbh.

welp. less social anxiety on the behalf of keeping up with the anime trends then. don't worry, we all have our skeletons in the closet

assyrian said:
I think about 2 or 3 percent or somewhere around there
i bet your ass if there's gonna be a new k-on anime or something, you're gonna FOMO that shit like never before lel
Oct 6, 2018 5:14 PM

Oct 2017
Not really I like to follow news on anime and manga media right now because its interesting to see what the future of the medium is and what I should keep an eye out for. Lots of new or airing shows I just wait until after the season is over.

When I got back into anime I really wanted to be more involved in the anime community in talking about it (one reason I created a MAL account) but now I don't really care that much anymore. I will watch what i enjoy plain and simple.

The other three I don't really care about. I thought it would be kinda fun to follow seasonal anime since that is what most people like to talk about but after doing so for about 6 seasons of anime I am not going to be following much for next season (pretty much nothing if AOT is going to be split couring). Mostly because so many good older shows I really want to get into and want to devote more time to watching. I tend to fall behind a lot on seasonal shows more often than naught anyway.

Oct 6, 2018 5:28 PM

Sep 2016
Not even remotely. I don't watch anime for the sake of being up to date, I'm not the kind of person to jump on hype trains, and I don't care about episode discussions. I just watch things that I'm interested in, regardless of their popularity. And only when I'm in the mood. Sometimes I don't watch anything for weeks or even months. I also don't watch anime that haven't finished airing, even if it's a series that I like.

Oct 6, 2018 5:42 PM

Nov 2013
Question 1 & 2: Absolutely not. There are anime, which I wouldn't watch, if they paid me for it.

3. No.

4. No. I watch everything at my own pace.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 6, 2018 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
No. I always watch anime that appeals to me in one way or another. A lot of them are popular, well known or at least trendy when they're airing anyway so I don't have to worry about it at all. I try to avoid forcing myself to watch something. And if a lot of people talk to me about an anime then I will probably watch it but only if I'm interested.
Oct 6, 2018 6:25 PM

Oct 2014
I don't know how to quantify it, but i'm watching all of Jojos purely out of FOMO.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 7, 2018 4:33 AM

Jan 2018
No, I don't exactly follow trendy shows because I'm going to wait for it to be completed. As for what is fomo, I don't wanna know.
Oct 7, 2018 4:39 AM

Aug 2018

1. I watch the seasonal whose descriptions catch my interest
2. I might watch a hyped show to see what the fuss is about. And that also if it’s something that I might like
3. Not really. I read the columns in ANN so I just happen to see the latest news. I don’t actively seek it out
4. Not really. I’ll watch it when I have the time. I don’t comment on any episodes generally so it doesn’t really matter
5. No. I don’t have a FOMO. Even if I have to put off a really hyped show for a while due to IRL commitments I can always come back and check it out later
FireballKnuckleOct 7, 2018 4:52 AM
Oct 7, 2018 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
1. Do you try to watch all the trendy stuff that everybody's talking about? // Not at all, sometimes I do watch seasonal anime but only if the description and trailer catch my eye. Idc what other people are doing.
2. Do you always jump on the hype train that everyone's taking? // I don't like the mess of it but lately I've been into it. Usually I'd just leave it be and read what people are saying some time after a series finished airing.
3. Do you follow all the news related to the anime media? // When there's a new studio showing up, I'd go and check their animation style. But overall idc.
4. Do you always try to watch the episodes as soon as they come out to discuss them? // No, unless I'm familiar with the manga or confused about something. I've only commented on 2 or 3 first episodes today to see what people think.
5. Do you think these FOMO activities influence your life in a negative way? // I'm good at separating my online life from social life so, no.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 7, 2018 4:43 AM

Oct 2015
Very close to none influence I'd say.

uninstallthegame said:

1. Nope, there are tons of very mainstream shows I've still yet to watch simply because I wasn't interested that much. For instance, I've only seen 4 of the top 10 most popular anime.

2 and 3. Not really

4. I don't watch airing shows. By the time I get around to watching a show, people will have already stopped talking about it.
Oct 7, 2018 5:06 AM

Jul 2017
I don't add bad anime but hey, I do watch the good one though
Oct 7, 2018 7:02 AM

Apr 2014
none at all. i hardly watch anything what everyone else is watching.
Oct 7, 2018 7:02 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
<No, if anything I evade hyped anime>

<Rarely, only if I'm genuinely interested in what's being discussed>

<I do, because anime is my hobby, it's like sports to me>

<Sometimes but not always, it's fun to discuss something I like with friends>

do you think these FOMO activities influence your life in a negative way
<If anything it's the opposite, as I otherwise have no reason to talk to people>

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

85 by Hitagi__Furude »»
5 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

16 by nyugvo6 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.