Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Goblin Slayer (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2018 12:36 AM

Jun 2013
HeroicIdealism said:
People are so triggered about the rape, but ffs, the killing of that poor guy and that poisoned mage woman were so much more brutal. At least the raped girl survived; and yeah, she's traumitized, but the rape didn't even last long. I guess goblin dick could be too big to handle though, probably really hurt. But not as much as the man who was hacked to fucking pieces

Bibimbapski said:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one uncomfortable with a lot of stuff that happened. I've read a lot of fucked up manga like Mai's Daily Life and some hentai with rape scenes, lots of bloody and gory series but this still made me feel sick because the execution was quite good.

You've read fucking Mai's Daily Life (where a
) yet this minor rape scene was more disturbing to you? Are you shitting me?

Nope, Mai's Daily Life was definitely more disturbing, gonna be honest, I was depressed and anxious for almost a month after finishing that manga. It was like poison coursing through my veins but eventually got over it. Plus, I have a health condition which makes me more prone to anxiety, etc. and watching things like that just stays with me for a while before it goes away. Actually, after watching episode 1 of Gobin Slayer, the shock effect went away after half an hour.
臭い-
Oct 13, 2018 1:22 AM

Sep 2016
Damn, 800+ replies already. The last time I remember something like this was with Re:Zero back in 2016. The hype is real.
Oct 13, 2018 5:29 AM
Oct 2018
To tell you the truth it was okay. It could be much better. They left the backstories of the Party out. Therefore you're not emotionally involved with the deaths of them. Ofc you felt pity.

I'll get the feeling it's gonna be just an okay show.
Oct 13, 2018 7:02 AM

Sep 2011
I'm just laughing on how these goblins are perverts. Time to expect some doujin!

Then again, I can't say I'm not disturbed on what I see but it doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm now more curious on this Goblin Slayer.

And then we have these people who are getting butthurt because of the rape? Please go find some vanilla shit elsewhere.
TennoujiOct 13, 2018 7:08 AM

Oct 13, 2018 7:47 AM

Apr 2018
Someone being killed is ok
But someone being raped is a desaster
Smh
Oct 13, 2018 8:03 AM

Jul 2013
Alright first episode and I got a couple of things to say. First, so glad they didn't censor the blood, censoring gore annoys me more than censoring the plot. Second, the protagonist is pathetic af. Being weak is understandable, that's what it means being a newbie and it gives room for growth but one look and I know she's a sore loser like that fat fuck from Accel World very far from someone like Deku. She walks with a hunch on her back, holds her staff with two hands close to her chest, scaredy looking face, gasps at every tiny little thing and shit. Pathetic. Hopes she gets better soon. Third, glad that first party of hers got wiped, they're so smug, acts like they know everything about the weakest of the monsters and now they got killed and raped by those same monsters. I was actually rooting for the goblins at first lol. Fourth, the rape scene, guess it was ok but I'm worried that the show will capitalize on that to make it "dark" and we will see mindless and pointless rape scenes every episode to tug on the viewer's heartstrings like " oh more rape this show is so serious" I mean I get it these goblins rape women but I hope there's point to it. I'm thinking along the lines of Elfen Lied but I'm not hopeful. Lastly, kinda stupid to question but is this show really gonna focus only on goblins? That would suck.
PrimeXOct 13, 2018 8:07 AM
Oct 13, 2018 8:52 AM

Dec 2015
PrimeX said:
Pathetic. Hopes she gets better soon.
You have to remember that although she is considered an adult in the world of Goblin Slayer, she's still 15. She does get better though.

Lastly, kinda stupid to question but is this show really gonna focus only on goblins? That would suck.
Yes, goblins are going to be the main focus. But each mission they take has enough variation to not feel repetitive.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 13, 2018 9:34 AM

Mar 2016
Satisfying yet mildly disappointing, I was actually expecting more explicit rape and some shown nipples, primitive knives with piss and poison on it and the background story of the beaten newbie adventures...

well I'm just for the sound especially for GS, I'm so happy that he was able to do his role perfectly unlike when he was hospitalized while voicing Kircheis.
Oct 13, 2018 1:12 PM

Jan 2011
LaughingCoffinx said:
hollowreaper541 said:
Cry and bitch all u want the producers in japan doesn't give shit to western audiences and as the manga and ln are doing pretty well in japan(i don't remember the exact figures) its probably gonna get a second or third season
And lol the producers and mangaka certainly don't care about mal ratings

I know, I'm happy about Japan not giving a fuck ,Its only a certain western audience of a certain political affiliations. its pathetic.

It's not political affiliations. Stop with the SJW strawman bullshit. Also, this is a formum to express opinions, praise, or grievances, in spite of how producers or creators across the world feel about.

HeroicIdealism said:

If anything, the rape wasn't shown enough to truly make an impact.
Also, the axes the goblins were using were likely used to shred her clothes.

The most disturbing part of the rape is more so that it was used so cheaply. I mean in the context of anime/entertainment is effectively part of the make-a-villain starter kit. Not really surprised given how rape/sexual harassment/and the misunderstandings of such are such a big part of anime.

Hypocritical part of me is that I've watched plenty of rape manga, hentai etc. but the rape in an actual anime seems to grab me in more. Perhaps because I assume it's given more weight in non-h. This is rarely the case, hell, in a few it's never mentioned before. Shock points at most.
QWERTYFish25Oct 13, 2018 1:19 PM
Oct 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Sep 2014
I think I won't like this show, not because It's "dark". In fact, I must admit, I like to see the typical anime optimist fantasy group cliche being slaughtered in their first adventure. No mercy for hotty, loli or fan favorite archetype character, It changes. :)

Plus, I kinda like the idea of the Goblin Slayer, an anime "Doom Guy". For once, we don't get a enthusiast likeable idiot protagonist, blessed by plot-armor unknow divinity,or an unlikable edgy brat in a teenage fable period, we get a "high-functionnal psychotic" professional.

But It's a J-RPG fantasy anime-manga afterall...
I'm sure the "dark" aspect of the show is the only thing Goblin Slayer has to offer before being buried under a load of anime cliche-fanservice craps. Just the world where they are is so....J-RPG.

So I don't even try to continue...
BalongOct 13, 2018 2:32 PM
Oct 13, 2018 9:24 PM

Aug 2010
Pleasantly surprised with Ogura Yui. I've listened to her voice many times in many different shows and this is the first time it's different from her usual self while still being recognizable as her, and I absolutely love it. The character design isn't anything special but for some reason I find Priesty absolutely gorgeous.

Besides that, I really like shows that take one aspect we take for granted and turn it into something ruthless. I did check the Manga beforehand, didn't look too deep into it because I was busy and not too long after the anime adaptation was announced, so I was pretty aware what the show was about. Still don't see what the outrage is about, I like it so far, 8/10 opening episode in my books.
Oct 13, 2018 11:50 PM
Nov 2016
he said why my pee pee hard
the anime could seriously be better, but they are cutting some important parts that could get you to understand more.
all the attention the anime is getting could be good or bad is they keep cutting stuff.
Is too early to say the if anime is going to be good.
the complains about the rape are just crybabys that like to get into the SJW bandwagon.
still is a good thing that the anime is getting some attention.
Oct 14, 2018 6:28 AM
Apr 2017
Honestly I didn't expect it to be this gruesome, it seems like some classic fantasy fairy tale, bu oh boy... this was something.
Oct 14, 2018 12:02 PM
Jul 2011
I guess this is the new Akame Ga Kill type of anime expect the shock value is is constantly dialed up to 11.

They not even trying to pretend to have character build up or development lol. Cross referencing the manga of the same scenes from this episode they excluded the little origin flashbacks of the rookies (unless it's in ep2). Sword guy wanted to be adventurer after listening to grand tales from other veterans. Fighter girl learn martial arts from her father who passed away. Wizard girl was praised highly during academy and was told she had a bright future. There was a little bit of focus on her staff given to her by the higher ups at academy which was supposed to make the scene with the goblins breaking her staff so effortlessly mean a little bit more.

Regardless I thought it was amusing how the rookie adventurers was almost a parody of the type of characters in the more lighthearted Isekai/D&D-ish like series but this series shows what happens when things get real. Priest girl tried to warn them that maybe they should have prepared more. Power of friendship doesn't work in this universe, lol.

They had balls to go through the rape scene in such detail, I guess this means this series won't be Toonami friendly now heh. Even though the manga shows more nudity and golbin juice from the aftermath the anime made it seem more brutal with hearing Fighter girl's painful outcries and the way the golbin clench her butt with his razor claw nails for the initial penetration . Akame Ga Kill anime didn't really go that far.

Goblin Slayer guy was amazing to watch, straight to point. No bullshit. Pretty much the anti-typical protag. What you see in the title is what you get.

Gen2K_Oct 14, 2018 12:09 PM
Oct 14, 2018 1:47 PM

May 2009
Gen2K_ said:
I guess this is the new Akame Ga Kill type of anime expect the shock value is is constantly dialed up to 11.

Wrong, there is no plot like overthrowing the evil government and there will be like maybe 1 more raped girl and no more of it.
Oct 14, 2018 7:45 PM
Jul 2011
bastek66 said:
Wrong, there is no plot like overthrowing the evil government and there will be like maybe 1 more raped girl and no more of it.

I meant in terms of shock and edge value that mainly gets people talking about it above anything else. Not the actual plot details.
Oct 14, 2018 8:11 PM

Jul 2009
Pretty engaging start. I've read the manga and LNs so I knew what to expect, but damn it feels so much heavier with the voice acting. I'm a bit iffy though that White Fox skipped some of the minor details (such as the dagger used to stab the mage being laced with goblin piss, excrement, and poison herbs). They sound trivial, but these little tidbits are a big part of what made the GS world come to life in the manga and LN. The violence and sexual scenes have also been toned down considerably, although that's not a big deal for me.

Looking forward to see how they will adapt the source material.
Oct 14, 2018 10:56 PM
Oct 2016
All I can say is that my mind was telling me no, but my body was telling me yes during that rape scene...

Never been so angry at my own dick. O.0
Oct 14, 2018 11:16 PM

Feb 2015
Our story starts with Onna becoming an adventuress and joining a team to kill goblins, as the story continues they were butchered by them, completely destroying the team, even kidnapping the girls. Onna, on the verge of defeat, met the Goblin Slayer, a strong adventurer that end with all goblins life, explains her how they work and save her. Finally joining her to his adventure.

Strong start, I have to say that the beginning is like every fantasy anime that I have watched but is like 10x more brutal, the rape and the goblin kids left me impressed. The animation is good but some 3d scenes were bad. I hope they can fix or left 3d out. Impressing scenes, hopefully it won't finish here.
Oct 15, 2018 9:23 AM

May 2009
Gen2K_ said:
bastek66 said:

I meant in terms of shock and edge value that mainly gets people talking about it above anything else. Not the actual plot details.

There is no shock anymore.
Oct 15, 2018 1:57 PM
Sep 2018
I like the fact that its actually taking on a more realistic approach to the adventure scene. This show should be a wake up call to all those who think adventuring is all dandelions and roses. I also like the fact that it shows what can happen if you are cocky and feel invincible over something that seems easy. To me, this show is honesty just refreshing.
Oct 15, 2018 6:47 PM
Jul 2011
bastek66 said:

There is no shock anymore.

If they didn't wuss out and animated the stuff from the LN/manga in episode 2 like how they were so eager to do with episode 1 it would still be a thing. Oh well.
Oct 15, 2018 9:21 PM
Oct 2018
To all those feeling depressed and unhappy about watching "goblin slayer" and regret watching it,watch "That time i got reincarnated as a slime" along with it and don't forget to watch it's second episode,you will be confused af about goblins after that:D
Oct 16, 2018 1:02 AM
Oct 2018
So... Manga have 15 Chapter and we already have the Anime ??
How's that even Possible ??
There's alot of Better Manga that even tagged as Mature content and not coming to Anime ...
Don't even understand of Japan Production Logic anymore...
Oct 16, 2018 1:16 AM

Apr 2016
dodolipet said:
There's alot of Better Manga that even tagged as Mature content and not coming to Anime ...

Are you even serious now ?

Tell me you joking.
Oct 16, 2018 1:56 AM
May 2016
dodolipet said:
First off the Manga has more than 15 Chapter Second the Anime is based on the Light Novel which has now 6 -7 Volumes i think and the Anime will cover Maybe Vol 1-3

I will call this the : Lazy Critique Epidemic
TamikusOct 16, 2018 2:00 AM
Oct 16, 2018 2:06 AM
Oct 2018
Tamikus said:
dodolipet said:
First off the Manga has more than 15 Chapter Second the Anime is based on the Light Novel which has now 6 -7 Volumes i think and the Anime will cover Maybe Vol 1-3

I will call this the : Lazy Critique Epidemic

I see.. so it's based from novel..
But still, this anime looks like so rush to make it into anime, while the chapter of manga still walking below 20..
Oct 16, 2018 7:00 AM

May 2009
dodolipet said:
But still, this anime looks like so rush to make it into anime, while the chapter of manga still walking below 20..

What the fuck are you even complaining about? Anime was announced over a year ago and manga isn't source material (also latest chapter is 28th not below 20).
Oct 16, 2018 8:19 AM

Aug 2016
In dark fantasy worlds, rape happens. It's silly to pretend it doesn't, unless you're going for something extremely light like Slayers or a casual D&D session.

HOWEVER, it wasn't the fact that the rape happened in this episode that bothered me, it's how it was clearly played for cheap exploitation. They showed her getting her clothes ripped off in explicit detail and lingered there, and it was definitely for the sake of the freaks in the audience who get off on seeing women abused.

Look at some of the comments in this thread; some of these guys are genuinely turned on by that scene. Fucking gross.
Oct 16, 2018 11:34 AM
Mar 2018
...aaand down the slippery slope of edgy shock-value we go... btw: does crunchyroll not have some sort of ESRB, or do they simply don't give a fuck when there is the chance of some sweet sweet clickbait-revenue blinging?
Oct 16, 2018 12:30 PM

Apr 2012
The problem with anime like this that make it outside Japan sometimes get repackaged to look cute and wholesome most people who don't read the LN or manga don't know what they're getting into. Japan airs these kind of anime in the very late hours while we get them as soon as it's uploaded with a 13 year old restriction. To be honest; I really didn't expect such brutality because I thought I'd be watching another isekai themed anime like Kunosuba. Cover art had me fooled.
Did anyone even notice the opening disclaimer as soon as the episode started? You've been warned.
Janethan23Oct 16, 2018 12:40 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 16, 2018 1:41 PM
Jul 2015
So, if I understand correctly - we've a MMO world in which a bunch of newbies fresh out of their starting zones/tutorials think that they can take up on higher level missions from the terminal (SWG reference) when they group up, without not even knowing the game mechanics, but also being the typical noob and not taking the necessary time to familiarize oneself with their respective profession.

The guy obviously thinks that because this type of mob was easy and soloable in the tutorial, they will be so in the world as well - oh how mistaken he was!

The only questionable thing is though, why don't they respawn? If the game has perma-death, it should be rather widely advertised (not many games nowadays come with that, so it surely would be a seller to some specific crowd) - which would make one think, why the hell didn't they prepare better? It would be totally stupid to just leeroy into an instance or open cave like that without any backup plan, don't you think?
Also, it does seem that they had 1h-3dps build, which - unless the tank is a subclass of any of them unlocked at a higher level - is total shit (well, it works sometimes if the people actually know what they're doing and swap damage - clearly that wasn't the case in this situation). It does seem like GS is a tank though, with some pretty nice finishing moves available when synced with party snares/stuns. He did kite the hobby quite well, IMHO. A bit weird for the quest to have to kill those lowbie 1hp goblins in the end, to fulfill the objective quota if you ask me.

Also, to add a rape death defeat/stunned animation does seem like going over the extreme. Not sure however, if the warrior died because because he somehow managed to agro them despite being stunned - resulting in a killing blow, or what?

The fact that the Wizard would die even when taking the antidote also seemed strange. Unless the goblins would have some AoE attack that would result in her dying due to low hp anyway, and - maybe the antidote being rather a costly item, it would be a shame to waste it on a toon that could be just remade - then yeah, I could understand that.

Also, the end seemed like typical powerleveling, with a high level character using the level discrepancy between himself and mobs to drag the lowbie through. Weird that the devs didn't block group xp sharing when the level difference was significant....

Also, typical example of a girly characters getting preferential treatment (#GuyInRealLife)... :-/
Oct 16, 2018 3:11 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I m amazed I actually was that engrossed on watching this as I was...
People are focusing too much on rape, I only saw it as a small part, a method to make me loathe those fuckers even more, and it worked, along with all the violence these goblins showcase.

The selling point for GS us goblin slaying, and sure enough WhiteFox nailed it.
The sound direction, the art, the body language of the MC, I m impressed.
As anime I cant recall the last time I saw something this fucked up, and with all this rather light content, releases and new airings about, swifting gears to something this dark yet grounded feels great.

My only complain is that the Socerer girl was too quick to embarge in adventures with him considering how she was previously before. tone shift was too drastic there.
Oct 16, 2018 4:09 PM

May 2017
it is funny how people in youtube are biching about GS.
Has anyone realized in there that this anime is a rated-R Psychological horror story?

Those guys are just a bunch of pussies that has been raised by the sweet taste of harem, and fluff.

I would feel sorry if these guys goes back to live in the 90s with the bunch of dark anime that came out those years.
I mean..
Kyte, Kei metalic idol, Berserk, Devil man, between others...

These kids would have nightmares if they see those.

I bet that the ones bitching about the rapes are social justice warriors and femiNazis.

The only flaw GS has is the anime being made outside of time period. If it was made back on the 90s and early 2000, this would had become really popular.
Oct 16, 2018 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
LOL the first episode and all we get is edginess piled on top of more edginess. I feel like dropping this immediately. But then again, I might stick around just to see how bad of a train wreck this show may very well turn out to be.
Salmon is delicious.
Oct 16, 2018 9:20 PM

Jan 2014
This is really bad. All I see is extremely generic fantasy with rape and excessive gore thrown in for no apparent reason other than to shock and anger the viewer. There is no attempt to illicit contemplation or a complex emotional response, only mindless shock and anger.
I'm totally fine the depiction of rape and gratuitous gore in a way that develops a character in a meaningful way, or challenges the viewer to think about an idea or concept (Perfect Blue is an excellent example of this). Goblin Slayer is not using violent imagery thoughtfully. They are using it to produce a cheap emotional response in the viewer.
It's hilarious to me that people think this is groundbreaking. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's not interesting, inspiring, or even entertaining.
Of course, this is my judgment based on the first episode, and I could be wrong on multiple counts.
Oct 17, 2018 4:15 AM

Jul 2008
Well.....that escalated quickly.
Oct 17, 2018 5:11 AM

Oct 2015
DipsterHouchebag said:
In dark fantasy worlds, rape happens. It's silly to pretend it doesn't, unless you're going for something extremely light like Slayers or a casual D&D session.

HOWEVER, it wasn't the fact that the rape happened in this episode that bothered me, it's how it was clearly played for cheap exploitation. They showed her getting her clothes ripped off in explicit detail and lingered there, and it was definitely for the sake of the freaks in the audience who get off on seeing women abused.

Look at some of the comments in this thread; some of these guys are genuinely turned on by that scene. Fucking gross.

The whole scene is basically for those who like the appearance of "mature" and "dark" stuff without having to have any actual dark themes or maturity. So basically the majority of the anime fandom. The woman is just raped and then figuratively written out of the story in the same episode. It's lazy writing and is purely just for shock value.
Oct 17, 2018 11:11 PM

Jun 2012
Have to admit my penis become a little hard during the rape scene.
Oct 18, 2018 10:53 AM

May 2015
I KNEW IT! FIONA WAS NOT ENOUGH!

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 18, 2018 6:28 PM
Aug 2018
The first half of the episode came straight out of a hentai. Lmao. The animation is the best I have seen in a while. Unsure why people are disliking it. The only parts that seemed bad was killing the goblin children and cliched entrance of the Goblin Slayer. They cannot really expect viewers to sympathise with the goblins after showing the viewers the perspective of a human that had their party slaughtered and raped. Same with the protagonist. I am surprised she showed mercy for them. Also, it seemed somewhat stupid when the Goblin Slayer tossed his sword away because it had too much blood on it.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Oct 20, 2018 12:12 AM

Jul 2016
Is it bad that I started to get a boner when the goblins stripped that girl face-down, ass-up?

I would have dropped this if she didn't survive. Good for Studio White Fox sparing one bishoujo.
Oct 20, 2018 7:55 AM
Jun 2016
When I heard about this anime, I didn't think as much as I'm right now. My expectations were pretty decent, although once my friend told me that the manga is pretty good. Then I watch it, didn't feel much tho. It got some good graphics right there, and the atmosphere was ok. Speaking about the atmosphere, many people sense it as "so-dark", or "too much". For me, it's just the series is not for anyone. If you are not one of the genre fans, then don't watch it. I think I'm gonna give it a chance for the series to grow.
Oct 21, 2018 7:15 AM

Jan 2015
If I was to be raped, it'd have to be by KRAUSER-SAMA!

Can't lie, I really liked the title character, it was pretty cool seeing him plow through every goblin that came by him, after seeing how horrible the goblins were to the weak guys (not surprising at all the kind of thing that happened to them).

If I watched this as a kid, I probably would have found this to be amazing as a kid. Elfen Lied was my fourth anime and I used to think it was actually fantastic. The music and narration would have probably tricked me into thinking that this is too, and the brutality of it would have made it seem cool and adult. Now, it's entertaining, but not because it's brilliant.

Natsuki_Hyundai said:
"Anime of the Season"
Maybe in popularity, but I'm sure nobody's claiming that this is better than GioGio.
Oct 21, 2018 4:47 PM
May 2018
I thought the first episode was really awesome but i was kind of sad because the adventurers died.
Oct 21, 2018 7:01 PM
Jan 2017

PG-13 cannot be right. They don't imply the rape happening, it's obvious it's happening. I just hope there is a reasoning behind it and not just something they added to be edgy. The way they build the world, and the way they explain how the Goblin mindset works, is 100% gonna make or break this anime for me.

I haven't read the source material yet, but be sure I'm going to! I find this anime a bit refreshing from the usual romanticised fantasy anime, where people just miraculously don't die even if a building crumble over them.

This shit is definitely dark, uncomfortable, brings up heavy topics, and i think this form of provocation and the reactions that people have is exactly what they wanted. And to be honest, i love it.
Oct 21, 2018 7:08 PM
Jan 2017
Playcool said:
I m amazed I actually was that engrossed on watching this as I was...
People are focusing too much on rape, I only saw it as a small part, a method to make me loathe those fuckers even more, and it worked, along with all the violence these goblins showcase.

The selling point for GS us goblin slaying, and sure enough WhiteFox nailed it.
The sound direction, the art, the body language of the MC, I m impressed.
As anime I cant recall the last time I saw something this fucked up, and with all this rather light content, releases and new airings about, swifting gears to something this dark yet grounded feels great.

My only complain is that the Socerer girl was too quick to embarge in adventures with him considering how she was previously before. tone shift was too drastic there.

i cannot express how much i agree with you on this one.
Oct 21, 2018 8:44 PM

Nov 2016
FrozenRaider said:
I KNEW IT! FIONA WAS NOT ENOUGH!

It's all ogre now!!!

Oct 22, 2018 1:19 AM

Oct 2014
Finally found the motivation to watch this series. And this is what I think after watching episode 1: It was OK.

Based on that, this is my reaction to what I remember the initial reaction to episode 1 was when it aired: I don't get it.

The part about everyone being super excited about this show after watching episode 1? I don't get it. (only refering to anime-onlies for this show, like me)

The part about people feeling super "offended" and "shocked" by this show? I don't get that either.

When I watched the scenes with the rookie adventurers, including the part where they got wrecked, I felt absolutely ice cold, in other words I felt absolutely nothing when watching that part. No excitement and also no disgust. Although I was pretty much spoilt about the entire episode, because some retards feel the need to constantly draw comparisons with Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken's goblins and spoil everything about this episode (I am not neccessarily talking about MAL here), pretty much everything up until that part was worse than what these "spoilers" conveyed and what I expected to watch.

I mean the whole part with the rookies just cannot be considered "foreshadowing". Instead it was like an on-the-face instruction manual for "how to get yourself killed on your first day as an adventurer". I know that it's supposed to create a contrast with the Goblin Slayer after but, come on... it felt so fake that it didn't even make it past my personal suspension of disbelief and the bar for that is usually quite low. That whole segment up until Goblin Slayer appeard was a big disappointment.

Then however Goblin Slayer appeard and it got better. Maybe it will be a trend where the series is at its best when it's showing us the title character's job in action. The Goblin Slayer's approach is quite interesting with using traps and adapting to the situation (e.g. spontanously using the Priestesses' flashbang skill as part of the plan). We also get to see that while the Goblin Slayer seemingly resolved everything perfectly, we subtly get to see his own flaws as well (e.g. when he notes that the gasoline ended up being a cost/performance inefficient purchase).

Overall this episode is OK. Not more and not less. Yes the first half was supposed to be a "contrast" to the second half when Goblin Slayer appears, but that has no bearing when a scene simply feels badly written. It's usually no problem for me if a character acts stupid or even if they act cliché as long as it's grounded on something that makes it "believable" and here it felt like they behaved as they did to make it as "noticable as possible", which doesn't really make it believable at all in my eyes.

It's essentially the polar opposite mistake of what Fate/stay night:UBW did. That show was so subtle that most watchers completely missed several things that happened or were "hinted at". Overlord recently did so as well. But Goblin Slayer with the adventurers threw the word subtleness out of the window, but while both extremes are bad, Goblin Slayer actually uses the worse one, because shows with high subtleness at least give a reason to rewatch their series, but the on-the-face Goblin Slayer? Nope.

So overall the good and bad are both present and in total it makes me see this episode as "OK".

Also this might just be me, but the music (BGM) somehow felt... off. It wasn't what I was expecting. But I'll withhold my judgement on that aspect for now as often it's just a matter of getting used to it.

TL;DR
I didn't like the first half of the episode at all due to the rookie adventurers so obviously idiotically going into their deaths that it managed to break even my super-low-bar suspension of disbelief, but I thought that the second half was quite good. Overall an "OK" episode.

Also I will (probably) not write such a long post for this series again. It was just a special exception for this first episode to add my own 5 cents, considering it has that whole "controversy" surrounding it (if you can even call it that).
Grey-ZoneOct 22, 2018 1:40 AM
Oct 23, 2018 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
"Don't they have the right to live?"
Well this are the same creatures responsible for slaughtering your "friends" moments ago, but yeah i am sure little Goblin-Timmy over there will grow up to be an engineer one day Shinkan if you give him a chance!

Well after checking it out after all the commotion surrounding it, my thoughts are more leaning towards the fact that most everything happening was highly unnecessary. If you want to depict goblins as this creatures that lack a moral code and that are moved by only their animalistic instics that is fine, but at least give us something more than a r*ape sceen or them laughing at a girl peeing herself to reinforce that idea.
Apart from that characters were one dimention, Shinkan seem like the extreme moralist character that will spend most of the series questioning the GS actions wich will be anoying, the animation was wanky and the story doesn't seem to be deviating from this fetishised author involving gore and r*ape that i am sure will get repetitive pretty quickly and that i would rather see this in doujishi form.
Pages (20) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

288 by Ronin_Alx »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

195 by Miki42 »»
Apr 1, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

372 by Tartyus »»
Mar 1, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

382 by azzther »»
Feb 26, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Goblin Slayer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2018

197 by RGreatDanton »»
Feb 10, 5:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.