Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 6, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2010
uninstallthegame said:
bitchassdarius said:
gotta love that 20 second slow zoom out of a still and that 30 second dialogue scene they only used keyframes for

who ever directed this episode must be a greenhorn, but why would fuck up the first episode like that
and a post-credit scene that wasn't even animated. most of this stuff wouldn't even do any better for the show because of how bad it is right from the start

trigger didn't even try on this one

Are we sure it's just this one? feels like they haven't even tried in ages.
Oct 6, 2018 12:54 PM

Sep 2015
I liked it, just hope they don't fuck up with some dramatic love-triangle. But since its Trigger...
Oct 6, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2016
Some interesting directing in this first episode. Also no BGM almost the entire episode.

One weird thing is that it is made by TRIGGER. How come nobody has hyped this up? People should say that this is the savior of anime by now. I almost forgot this came out.
Oct 6, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
And I'm kinda tempted to drop this.

Don't get me wrong, the production in this looks good and in concept it's interesting. However, my biggest gripe with this so far are the character. So far, the cast introduced in here were just not that interesting. For some reason they just feel bland and they don't feel lively at the slightest amount even with the quirky Trigger artstyle. Maybe it's either that, or its part of the complaint I had for the director where the guy makes any scene look serious and trying to mix the comedy, yet ultimately failing by making these look extremely unimportant to its own ideas.

I'll give it an episode or two but so far I'm not too impressed with this, but that's more of a me thing.
Oct 6, 2018 1:03 PM

Sep 2017
It's quite good. The characters look fresh and their interaction look real. I was a bit disappointed by how much CG they used, considering it is a Trigger Show... I guess it can't be helped. But the CG wasn't bad comparing to other anime, so it probably won't be a big deal.

I'm surprised by the low rating though. Why? Because it's ultraman? Indeed seeing ultraman animated is really a plus for me. Nostalgia... Though I guess people in the West may not have seen any ultraman in their childhood?
Oct 6, 2018 1:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Not a bad start. I wonder how much into deep Tokusatsu homage territory we will move into in this show. People here in MAL will be incredibly hard with nonetheless it as they usually are with Trigger shows .
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2018 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
deg said:
i like it, there are too many mysteries on the first episode though so might expect answers on later episodes then

Rikka is best girl material already too
VanishingKira said:
"In normal anime, the first episode is exciting and the second episode is a chill cool-down. Gridman is the other way around. Episode 1 was just a chill intro. Things will get wild in episode 2!"
-Akira Amemiya

"The first episode was very good! But the second episode and further are even better. The show is just starting, things will get exciting. Look forward to it."
-Keiichi Hasegawa.

And episode 3 is supposed to have some kind of twist and to watch atleast up to it.
The twist is
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 6, 2018 1:14 PM
Mar 2018
I like the show so far. Pretty bad ass kaiju mecha battles. Love the classic Studio Trigger look.

What i really don't like about this is the heavy use of CG which isn't like Trigger. I know Trigger has used CG before in other shows but this is just weird . It just takes me out of it.

I'll still continue watching. Really only cuz it's a trigger show and i'm curious
Oct 6, 2018 1:28 PM
Oct 2018
for a studio trigger title, the first episode unfortunately looks very underwhelming. the character interactions are really... awkward? that weird pan out of the classroom that was around 30 secs or more was physically hard to watch. the 3d animation used was a little disappointing too (especially from a studio with many mecha titles under their belt from the gainax era). i do like the old computer metaphor as a device to introduce a revival to the original 1990s show. all in all, the first ep was a bit disappointing retrospectively
ChickenCatzOct 6, 2018 1:38 PM
Oct 6, 2018 1:29 PM
Jan 2013
The direction on this was pretty weird, and the animation felt really limited most of the time. I feel like Trigger is just tentatively taking a chance on this director and threw only a little money at him. The pacing was stilted, and that whole section where he first wakes up and talks to the girl had me questioning if there was something wrong with my stream. Also the part where the special dog was hit by that volleyball was fucking weird, it went on way too long, it wasn't even important. IDK if I'm gonna even watch episode 2.
Oct 6, 2018 1:29 PM

Jan 2009
Cabron said:
The twist is

cool i only heard about Gridman and saw the Anime Expo short video of it
Oct 6, 2018 1:32 PM

Nov 2013
uninstallthegame said:
oh god why. i would really prefer trigger to stick to crazy comedy shows like Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia. seems like this show will go the same route as Kiznaiver went

Seems like you think Trigger/Gainax didn't always want to pay homage to old Toku but think what u wanna lmao
Oct 6, 2018 1:36 PM

Nov 2013
I personally love the spin on Gridman we are getting! His design looks amazing and they even kept the special hotdog! There is a lot of similarities to the show and also a lot of differences, which is nice because I really wondered how they were going to make the Internet Policeman thing an anime that appealed to a broader audience in this day and age. Hope to hear the MC say Access Flash too with the goofy henshin stance.
Oct 6, 2018 1:41 PM

Aug 2008
So Trigger, basically what you get after wringing out a dirty rag used to wipe floor in the bathroom Gainaxed used, is already making another show after the amazing fuck up its collaboration with A1 was... boy, they sure have a death wish. And I'll still check it out because there's really not much to watch lately anyway. Sigh...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 6, 2018 1:43 PM

Sep 2011
Wasshio said:

Don't get me wrong, the production in this looks good and in concept it's interesting. However, my biggest gripe with this so far are the character. So far, the cast introduced in here were just not that interesting. For some reason they just feel bland and they don't feel lively at the slightest amount even with the quirky Trigger artstyle. Maybe it's either that, or its part of the complaint I had for the director where the guy makes any scene look serious and trying to mix the comedy, yet ultimately failing by making these look extremely unimportant to its own ideas.

I'll give it an episode or two but so far I'm not too impressed with this, but that's more of a me thing.

I actually found the characters sort of refreshing. They are dull, but the interactions and behaviors of the two sub-leads so far felt very natural. The amnesia thing could have gone south real quick, but nobody over-reacted, it wasn't made a serious deal, and everybody played it off naturally. The VAs also did a good job.

With this said I do have a few problems with this myself. Back to the characters for a second, the main character was given awful dialogue. The voice acting was OK, but his dialogue was so awful and cliche, especially when he got into Gridman. Tea Gardner would be proud. Next, as others have pointed out, each still shot is very pretty and very detailed, but there is very little to no actual animation. I almost got some classic SHAFT vibes watching this, but without the touch that makes SHAFT SHAFT. It didn't feel very Trigger, but that's fine with me. Unlike the rest of the anime community I do not praise Trigger, especially not modern Trigger. Finally, why did the students go back to the school at the end only to act surprised that it is still standing? You saw it burning. Why would you go the next morning?

So, was this a bad episode? No, not really. I agree with Wasshio here. It was certainly watchable, but I'm not that impressed either and won't be advertising this as a must-watch this season.
Oct 6, 2018 1:46 PM

Jan 2013
spaceinvaderlum said:
uninstallthegame said:
oh god why. i would really prefer trigger to stick to crazy comedy shows like Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia. seems like this show will go the same route as Kiznaiver went

Seems like you think Trigger/Gainax didn't always want to pay homage to old Toku but think what u wanna lmao
Pretty much.
Just looking at Eva, it's pretty much Anno's Ultraman fanfic in anime form.

Oct 6, 2018 1:56 PM
Oct 2009
Did i just watch accidently mars of destruction or something?
Oct 6, 2018 2:25 PM

Aug 2013
so...that happened; another drop for me. Except for some of the dialogue, that was....something else.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 6, 2018 2:51 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Mezter said:
I like the characters.

Enough reason for me to continue I guess.
Same here for me

Hopefully we get more of the overall story next week
Oct 6, 2018 2:54 PM
May 2017
I have no idea what is this, but it was pretty good. Interesting artstyle, characters are not blank, will see where it goes.
Oct 6, 2018 2:54 PM

Mar 2017
Tenth said:
uninstallthegame said:
and a post-credit scene that wasn't even animated. most of this stuff wouldn't even do any better for the show because of how bad it is right from the start

trigger didn't even try on this one

Are we sure it's just this one? feels like they haven't even tried in ages.

Ages? Try a year ago. People just trying to hate on them because of franxx which is out of the control of them.
Oct 6, 2018 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
so mc with memory loss?! hmmmm... i remember watching something like this not long ago.

very average start imo. too many cuts and zooming and lackluster animation, uninteresting characters and very short fight. Overall didn't found anything remotely appealing or except for cool character designs. Also that atmosphere when the moment big badass dragon appeared handled very poorly. Maybe seeing those bunch of PR/sentai show reference (that mecha looks familiar to those show) will add thrill I guess.
removed-userOct 6, 2018 3:18 PM
Oct 6, 2018 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
The characters seem nice and the story is simple, kinda old school in a few ways.

The art looked decent but the CG was weird. It looked good at places, awkward at places too. Maybe its weird seeing Trigger using way more CG than it normally does.

Overall, a fine start but definitely one of the weakest starts Trigger has had for an anime.
Oct 6, 2018 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Shirasho said:
Wasshio said:

I actually found the characters sort of refreshing. They are dull, but the interactions and behaviors of the two sub-leads so far felt very natural. The amnesia thing could have gone south real quick, but nobody over-reacted, it wasn't made a serious deal, and everybody played it off naturally. The VAs also did a good job.

With this said I do have a few problems with this myself. Back to the characters for a second, the main character was given awful dialogue. The voice acting was OK, but his dialogue was so awful and cliche, especially when he got into Gridman. Tea Gardner would be proud. Next, as others have pointed out, each still shot is very pretty and very detailed, but there is very little to no actual animation. I almost got some classic SHAFT vibes watching this, but without the touch that makes SHAFT SHAFT. It didn't feel very Trigger, but that's fine with me. Unlike the rest of the anime community I do not praise Trigger, especially not modern Trigger. Finally, why did the students go back to the school at the end only to act surprised that it is still standing? You saw it burning. Why would you go the next morning?

So, was this a bad episode? No, not really. I agree with Wasshio here. It was certainly watchable, but I'm not that impressed either and won't be advertising this as a must-watch this season.

Yeah, like I get where they're going for. Don't get me wrong and who knows, it might get better. For a first episode however and I hardly complaint about bad episodes for this year, this is just the biggest complaint I've had so far this year. And I'm very optimistic most of the time when it comes to series.

As I've said, this is alright on its own but I don't really enjoy how it is. Maybe that will change and that eventual twist comes to put me on a continue by. However I just feel like this ain't doing so well. It just feels very draggy and not that compelling to me, even with the world-building in mind. Planet With did that in an interesting sense by comparison and they ain't even the same thing. All I'm saying is that there's ways to go around with it but this wasn't the best out there.

I ain't bias towards Trigger myself. I can appreciate them but I think them being the saviors of anime label is going a bit too much nowadays. But that's because people take it literally rather than being a joke type of deal.

Tldr: There's some promise, and there's potential, there's some good in this... however there's a lot of stuff that overweights the good.
Oct 6, 2018 3:42 PM

Aug 2017
The MC with memory loss sucks but at least the fight was great. The rest of characters just have cool designs, nothing more.

The bad guy in front of the computer created that thing? In the end, the school is untouched. Hmmm, there is some power there.
NurguburuOct 6, 2018 3:45 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 6, 2018 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
Rikka is...

yeah...

pretty fuckin hot.

Reason enough for me to keep going 8)
2D > 3D
Oct 6, 2018 4:40 PM

Jun 2017
Gridman really reminds me of Ultraman. Great first episode; felt kinda slow at first but my adrenaline kicked in once the kaiju showed up. Will be looking forward to more episodes of this show.
P.S. if you think this rips off or was inspired by Evangelion, get out of my sight; the original Gridman tokusatsu show came two years before that.
Oct 6, 2018 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
Nice first episode, it caught my attention from the start! The main trio seems pretty likeable, and the animation, and the Kaijuu action were both great! This one is looking very promising, the OST was also on point!
Oct 6, 2018 5:00 PM

Apr 2013
Well, unlike most of Trigger shows, I actually like the first episode.
Oct 6, 2018 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
ZetaKai1219 said:
Gridman really reminds me of Ultraman. Great first episode; felt kinda slow at first but my adrenaline kicked in once the kaiju showed up. Will be looking forward to more episodes of this show.
P.S. if you think this rips off or was inspired by Evangelion, get out of my sight; the original Gridman tokusatsu show came two years before that.
Lmao wait for it, you just know someone is going to mention it.

Oct 6, 2018 5:52 PM

Mar 2012
Cabron said:
deg said:
i like it, there are too many mysteries on the first episode though so might expect answers on later episodes then

Rikka is best girl material already too
VanishingKira said:
"In normal anime, the first episode is exciting and the second episode is a chill cool-down. Gridman is the other way around. Episode 1 was just a chill intro. Things will get wild in episode 2!"
-Akira Amemiya

"The first episode was very good! But the second episode and further are even better. The show is just starting, things will get exciting. Look forward to it."
-Keiichi Hasegawa.

And episode 3 is supposed to have some kind of twist and to watch atleast up to it.
The twist is
How are you so sure? The old Gridman show?
Oct 6, 2018 6:03 PM

Jun 2009
I did not know anything about the series before i watched it, and i can tell trigger is going to have fun with this
Oct 6, 2018 6:12 PM

Sep 2018
I quite liked it even though I have no experience with Gridman before this. Definitely can't wait to see how the mysteries play out.
Oct 6, 2018 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
SparkleDuck said:
Cabron said:
The twist is
Pretty much?
In the og show, Gridman fights in a virtual world inside of a computer.
So this might be a continuation of that.

Oct 6, 2018 6:21 PM

Mar 2012
Cabron said:
SparkleDuck said:
Pretty much?
Makes sense, I never saw the original so I wouldn't have known.
Oct 6, 2018 6:40 PM

Apr 2012
I have a feeling that I was watching some kind of school slice of life in KyoAni style (damn, they even had a Ritsu's cameo) in which for some reason added robots and monsters in the end.

Oct 6, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
seems neat guess it really is a reboot of some old sentai stuff huh wonder even with it being done by trigger if it's gonna get overshadowed by all the other shows airing on the weekend.

designs are cute sorta reminds me of the summer wars etc designs ,wish they kept the 2D art the whole time it looked good but now aday's you can only expect sunrise to do non CGI mecha.
Oct 6, 2018 7:04 PM

Nov 2013
ZetaKai1219 said:

I mean, I think Gridman was made by the same producers of Ultraman so you're not wrong.
Oct 6, 2018 7:06 PM

Nov 2013
Cabron said:
SparkleDuck said:
Pretty much?

The first thing I said was that it seemed like a sequel to the show, almost. So I really like this idea. It would explain the stuff with the school and the MCs memory loss too.
Oct 6, 2018 7:18 PM

Jan 2013
SparkleDuck said:
Cabron said:
Pretty much?
Makes sense, I never saw the original so I wouldn't have known.
Well either that, both worlds are merging (real and virtual) or one of the students is actually a baddie.

Anyway can't believe I missed those Brave Series/Obari references, one of them being the Obari punch when Gridman punches the fireball, credit to @MrMushin:

There's also a reference to Fighbird (also from the Brave Series) when Gridman uses his beam and the explosion afterwards.
And a Might Gaine (Brave Series) reference with the face close up:

@spaceinvaderlum Agreed.
CabronOct 6, 2018 7:29 PM

Oct 6, 2018 7:44 PM

Mar 2014
ultra man clone brings back childhood memories
Oct 6, 2018 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
Oh, how far has Trigger fallen.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 6, 2018 8:47 PM
Dec 2014
This first episode was pretty good if you set your expectations appropriately. If you expected a redemption for Franxx or the next kill la kill then your gonna be disappointed, but if you just expected a simple and silly animated sentai show then this is enjoyable.
Oct 6, 2018 8:54 PM
Mar 2017
Gridman impressed me, after seeing the last PV I was convinced to see it and was satisfied with what I saw, the design of the Kaijus was decent, the characters are not bad and the action was very well done.
Yuuta, the MC for some reason has amnesia and Rikka, his classmate helps him, within these events Yuuta is called by a robot called Gridman from a very old computer and he asks him to fulfill his mission. Later we see the school environment and the dynamics in Yuuta´s class, here we meet another character that seems to be the protagonist, Akane who is one these girls with good intentions and who has a somewhat eccentric personality. Finally the moment of truth arrives and a Kaiju appears and attacks the city, there Yuuta decides to cooperate and work with Gridman to stop the Kaiju, the fight was well animated, if it was quite fast, but it is only the beginning and the end leave me with curiosity, what happened ?, the school the previous day was on fire and then it comes out as if nothing had happened, if in the next episode appears the girl who was in the gym and receives the fireball from the monster, that means that something very weird happens here.
Anyway, I'll give this anime a chance, first, it has a decent character design and the two protagonist girls were to my liking, the MC and his friend do not seem to be weak, then there is the design of Gridman and the Kaijus, i liked it a lot and they have that retro look of the old Ultraman series and movies.
Oct 6, 2018 10:15 PM

Jan 2018
Hmm It was a decent first episode, I hear it picks up in the next episode so we'll see. I really hope this show turns out to be good though lol.
Oct 7, 2018 12:06 AM

Mar 2014
It's kinda corny this Ultraman rip-off but not too bad
Oct 7, 2018 12:15 AM

Aug 2008
Wow, it was terrible. Half assed animation, more stills than in a shaft series, MC's design (what the hell is with this hair, at first I thought it was an ugly girl), nonsensical writing. Can we already start shunning Trigger?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 7, 2018 12:42 AM

Jan 2013
RedChrome said:
It's kinda corny this Ultraman rip-off but not too bad
Studios can rip off their own properties?

Oct 7, 2018 12:43 AM
Apr 2017
this really nostalgic, feels like warching ultraman but with modern setting
Oct 7, 2018 12:53 AM

Jan 2016
I really like the classroom atmosphere, really reminds me of my high school year. The characters are nice too. I like Rikka thigh
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

161 by jonathan301 »»
Apr 16, 4:31 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.