Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 11, 2018 3:54 PM

Oct 2018
The interestingly distinctive (lack of) animation trigger is known for and the obvious tribute to the tokusatsu style certainly shows itself in this episode. Overall, it seems quite interesting. Let us see where it goes.
{~๐•ธ๐–Š๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ฎ๐–š๐–‘๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š ๐–‰๐–” ๐–“๐–”๐–™ ๐–๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–”๐–—๐–š๐–’ ๐•พ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–“๐–†๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š๐–˜~}
Oct 11, 2018 4:13 PM

Oct 2017
I honestly loved this first episode.

I was really afraid of the direction they would take, but it looks like whoever directed and animated this has done his homeworks.

The atmosphere kind of reminded me of Hosoda's work in Digimon: Our War Game...That kind of silent, mystical atmosphere, the weird cuts that jump from a situation to the other without feeling forced or distracting...

And as much as I hate CG mecha animation, this was incredibly gorgeous to look at. Gridman fights exactly like in the original show, the kaiju was charmingly clumsy, even slamming Gridman with his neck, simply because in the original show it would've been a way to use the weird shape of the costume in the battle...and most of all, something that CG animation rarely does with mechas, you could feel the weight of the battle and the impact of every single hit.

I'm all in for this series, I haven't been hyped for a new "mecha" anime series like this in a long time!
Oct 11, 2018 4:44 PM

Feb 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

Not as good as that one ^
But still not terrible.
Oct 11, 2018 8:15 PM

Oct 2017
Are you sure it is not sentai, mecha, Ultraman mix especially when the Gridman beam thing Jesus christ. Old computers huh, wel it isn't bad but it is another generic anime, animation is fine tho music is good tho the characters kind of remind me of someone

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Oct 11, 2018 9:35 PM

Nov 2012
....This.... felt like bootleg TRIGGER. Everything about it just wasn't on par with their usual stuff. I'll give this the 3 episode rule but I'm pretty dissapointed.
Oct 11, 2018 10:03 PM
Jun 2016
The main characters' names are Rikka and Yuuta... Hmmm... Chuunibyou, anyone?
Oct 12, 2018 1:48 PM
Oct 2011
VanishingKira said:
"In normal anime, the first episode is exciting and the second episode is a chill cool-down. Gridman is the other way around. Episode 1 was just a chill intro. Things will get wild in episode 2!"
-Akira Amemiya

"The first episode was very good! But the second episode and further are even better. The show is just starting, things will get exciting. Look forward to it."
-Keiichi Hasegawa.

And episode 3 is supposed to have some kind of twist and to watch atleast up to it.

Excellent.

Loved the first ep of the simuldub.
I also agree with Deg from the first page, and ItzToxic above, Rikka was pure win.
Oct 12, 2018 2:49 PM
Oct 2011
hopscotchskies said:
Also Rikka is perfect.

But wtf was with that one scene in the shop where Rikka was asking if Yuta was messing with her, though? Watching and listening to it felt like being in some sort of time distortion with all the repeats and keyframe bounces. I'd like to think it was some sort of mysterious stylistic effort, but I'm guessing someone really fucked up.

Yup, she is great.

I think you're talking about the scene at the beginning when they are in front of that old computer for the first time?

The way I saw it Rikka asked him what he was doing/who he was talking to and couldn't see anything on the screen when he pointed at it, since only Yuta could see or hear Gridman there for some reason, hence the animation kept cutting from the white screen of Yuta's view to Rikka's view with the screen off. It was also during this bit when Yuta's whole amnesia thing comes up during their quick back and forth, to which she kind of complains he might be messing with her.
DangerMouseDMOct 12, 2018 9:12 PM
Oct 13, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2012
That was epic, funny that the Kaiju looks more CG than Gridman. I'm a newbie to the Ultra series so I don't know what to expect (my Toku experience is limited to SS/PR):
Fortress_MaximusOct 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 16, 2018 11:17 PM

Apr 2011
Oh man. I got chills on this episode when when the MC transforms into gridman. It gaved me old school ultraman vibe.

But it feels like its not trigger who did this. Like someone hijacked the studio. Still awesome first episode. Rikka & Akane are waifu material.
Oct 18, 2018 4:54 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know about anyone else, but this felt more like Evangelion than anything. Looks like Ultraman though. This was very fun to watch.
Oct 19, 2018 5:44 AM

Jul 2016
The animation and character design are good but this is to be expected from a Trigger anime (I meant this in a good way I swear)

Even though I can feel Trigger in this work it still don't feel good enough if that makes sense, compared to kill la kill this doesn't give the feeling of Trigger enough for some reason but I'm sure it's gonna get better soon
Oct 19, 2018 8:03 AM
Sep 2018
I dissapointed with this anime because the fight scene it just feel boring and the rythm is slow as hell and the characters is bland as fuck. I absolutely dropping this anime.
Oct 21, 2018 11:15 AM

Jun 2011
The most unfinished product I have seen come out of Studio Trigger. And that is saying something.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 21, 2018 12:37 PM

Jan 2013
Energetic-Nova said:
The most unfinished product I have seen come out of Studio Trigger. And that is saying something.
How was it unfinished?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 21, 2018 7:09 PM

Jun 2011
Cabron said:
Energetic-Nova said:
How was it unfinished?

45 second long still shot, series of still shots, series of animation cuts that look like they are stock footage, off model characters in the first episode- character turns to side at one particularly bad moment and their face was almost completely flat like a pug. stuttering walking/running sequences.

More animation avoidance than Evangelion. XD

The mecha design and the monster battle were good, but, really, there was pretty much nothing else in this first episode. It was a pretty tough sit until then. It can be good when they put it out on blu-ray and animate more sequences but yeah, it was pretty hard to ignore for me. The character designs also felt like they needed more polish, if only with better coloring.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 26, 2018 9:21 AM
Jul 2014
Already like this more than Darling in the FranXX. Probably because I didn't really like the aspect of Klaxosaurs, what I want is monsters like the Kaiju we saw in this first episode. This is right up my alley.
Oct 27, 2018 9:03 AM

Oct 2013
Welp, this and Goblin Slayer are the only two shows from this season I currently plan to watch. Goblin Slayer's first episode pleased me with greater raw, visceral enjoyment, but there's more intrigue here. Not the most engaging first episode, but I want to know where this is going.

Despite having numerous Trigger anime on my PTW for literally years, this is actually, I think, my first experience with a Trigger anime, too, so... FINGERS CROSSED

It's great to hear Greg Ayres again, too; haven't heard his voice in an anime in quite some time.

P.S. Rikka is just an ordinary anime girl; why she is so waifu for everyone else eludes me.

โ˜ฉ Discord: the.path.to.pathos
โ˜ฉ RateYourMusic
โ˜ฉ last.fm
Oct 28, 2018 12:50 AM
Mar 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Cabron said:
How was it unfinished?

45 second long still shot, series of still shots, series of animation cuts that look like they are stock footage, off model characters in the first episode- character turns to side at one particularly bad moment and their face was almost completely flat like a pug. stuttering walking/running sequences.

More animation avoidance than Evangelion. XD

The mecha design and the monster battle were good, but, really, there was pretty much nothing else in this first episode. It was a pretty tough sit until then. It can be good when they put it out on blu-ray and animate more sequences but yeah, it was pretty hard to ignore for me. The character designs also felt like they needed more polish, if only with better coloring.

damn she got told.

but honestly this was a horrible first episode. the voice acting was annoying as their tones didn't fit the atmosphere very well or align with the shot. the banter was very awkward and unnecessary and ruined the details being given to the plot. it had a big problem of building things up. it would jump right into scenes with dialogue that feels off with bland characters. the shot angles were fucking awful. it was either too far away and when you thought, they needed to be closer to view during the conversation, it jumped right into their faces and didn't look well at all. use the medium where it shows the body and surrounding environment way more because that's usually the best way of presenting animation. but to sum it all up, it went WEIRD, UNPOLISHED, and CONFUSINGLY BAD. it quickly dived right into things and when it came time to build the scene, the talking and visuals didn't help at all.
Oct 31, 2018 4:41 PM

Dec 2010
Last time I trusted Trigger I had got an DitF treatment. One would certainly think that I got my lesson learned but well, here I am again.

This was quite okay. I am not a big fan of sentai works. Nonetheless I really liked Godzilla so I can appreciate a good kaiju once in a while.

Pretty good episode. I liked slow, non-eventful beginining. Not everything needs to go fast as lightning. We surely gonna get a dose of insanity in the next episodes.
Nov 1, 2018 1:27 PM

Dec 2015
I had forgotten Gridman was using the virtual/electronic world's idea.

Well, well, well... the characters will probably be uninteresting but this will certainly be fun to watch, being made by people who grew up eating tokusatsu. Too bad they used 3DCGI figures as stuntmen on a scene you can't stop comparing to fully drawn older series.
Was this fight based on some Ultraman sequence ? (unless it was for Evangelion? it reminded me of the Sachiel fight in EVA plus we got a ceiling shot)

3/5 What a weird eyes design.

@YizelTro Why would this be a joke? This is an animated "follow-up" to a TVshow who was mimicking Ultraman, so...
Rei_IIINov 1, 2018 2:44 PM
Nov 5, 2018 8:20 AM
Apr 2017
This is my Record BREAKING first mecha I ever watch,

I hated mecha

Edit: I LOVE how their eyes were drawn
Nov 6, 2018 4:36 AM

Mar 2018
First Mecha-Related Anime that I watched since like 10 years. Plot is a direct reflection of every japanese fighting shows (Like the expected Ultraman), so it feels familiar to me, since all these shows have been part of my childhood. Looking forward to watching this over time.
Nov 10, 2018 12:49 AM

Feb 2015
Rei366 said:
I had forgotten Gridman was using the virtual/electronic world's idea.

Well, well, well... the characters will probably be uninteresting but this will certainly be fun to watch, being made by people who grew up eating tokusatsu. Too bad they used 3DCGI figures as stuntmen on a scene you can't stop comparing to fully drawn older series.
Was this fight based on some Ultraman sequence ? (unless it was for Evangelion? it reminded me of the Sachiel fight in EVA plus we got a ceiling shot)

3/5 What a weird eyes design.

@YizelTro Why would this be a joke? This is an animated "follow-up" to a TVshow who was mimicking Ultraman, so...

i was literally surprised caause i didnt even expect it to be similar like ultraman. so at the first episode i couldn't really take things seriously. but in the later episode im starting to like this. it's pretty entertaining actually.
Nov 11, 2018 6:51 AM

Sep 2012
It was amazing how well it managed to thrust me into Yuta's perspective by opening to him with amnesia :0 They made the whole world feel so mundane with a hint of something wrong that I got really excited when the kaiju started wrecking shit, even though I knew that was coming xD
Nov 14, 2018 5:53 AM

Jun 2016
not the rikka and yuuta i know
Nov 14, 2018 11:18 PM
ๅญ”็œŸใƒปใ‚ณใ‚ฆใƒžใ‚ณใƒˆ

Jun 2017
Well, this was an intriguing start!

Other than the odd animation/art from here and there and the CGI battle, it was a quality episode. Personally, I enjoyed the first half a lot more as the buildup and the mysterious vibe was on point. Occasional comedy and effects, such as the hang up in animation when the sausage fell off Shinjou’s hand, were a nice company to have. Rikka’s character design is appealing to say the least and a few shots from the episode were really cool. Yuuta’s character design seems a little unique too so that’s also nice.
Op for the show, that played at the end of the episode, was great! Action choreography was so-so but it was engaging enough to keep me interested. Sort of felt like it was a typical superhero show considering the way Rikka and Utsumi we’re helping him out and particularly how he managed to gain power as soon as he realised that. It’s sort of a nice touch for now, but I hope Studio Trigger doesn’t overdo it. Damn, that cliffhanger though. The main cast’s expressions just summed up the whole story, really. Lol, could they all have been hallucinating? Is the Girl that was shown for a second there before the fireball struck dead?

All in all, a very engaging and eventful first episode. I’ll watch the remaining five, as of now that are out, before Sunday and catch up. It’ll be nice to watch this weekly, I reckon.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 14, 2018 11:22 PM
ๅญ”็œŸใƒปใ‚ณใ‚ฆใƒžใ‚ณใƒˆ

Jun 2017
peetza said:
It was amazing how well it managed to thrust me into Yuta's perspective by opening to him with amnesia :0 They made the whole world feel so mundane with a hint of something wrong that I got really excited when the kaiju started wrecking shit, even though I knew that was coming xD

Yeah, it really was a great buildup and some excellent direction!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 16, 2018 1:30 AM

Dec 2012
I like the pacing hmmm...

Nov 16, 2018 10:43 PM

Jul 2016
Curious first episode. I think it was just ok. It was interesting but nothing else. Honestly, the first ep. of Darling in the Fraxx got me more entertained. Besides, since the moment Yuta "awakes" Gridman, the dialogs felt kind of lacking and awkward at some point as well.

So... in the end all the damage was reset or something like that... so I assume that all the dead people, because there must be some dead people, were... "reset" as well? Kind of curious about that too.

Overall, it was an ok episode as I said. Personally, I didn't mind about the CGI and since the show where this anime is based of, had real people "fighting" in costumes... I think the CGI adds some special charm to it.

P.S.: I don't know what happened during that talk between Rikka and Yuta I mean, they literally were using poorly drawn key-frames. I remember something like that happening in Kill la Kill but it was made with humorous porpuses so I don't really know what the idea was here.

P.S. 2:Rikka, that skirt is hella short! I really like Rikka's eyes, by the way.
Nov 27, 2018 7:34 AM
Nov 2018
This first episode was an good introduction to the characters, i like Gridman so let's see if it builds from there.
Dec 17, 2018 11:59 AM

Apr 2014
i love trigger

a really great start to the series
"one step at a time"
Dec 18, 2018 2:22 AM
Dec 2018
How dark is this anime???
Jan 9, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2017
I don't know what it is but I love trigger first episodes, they always feel so energetic, full of life, and gets you ready to explore a cool new world.

Also I kinda got Valvrave vibes somewhat.
Jan 10, 2019 10:27 AM

Nov 2014
i'm not really into toku, but i watch few of it.

I can say this has potential, i enjoyed it so far. The OP and ED are good, so the BGM on battle it really suits the animation.

well, most of all is the nostalgic feeling of toku itself is good nice job trigger.
Jan 22, 2019 12:25 AM

Dec 2016
Show looks good, and man for some reason the eyes on these characters look really nice imo, the design for them is pretty good
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 23, 2019 1:23 PM

May 2012
While I never seen the original Gridman myself, I am pretty sure that this episode gave a lot of people a whole lot of nostalgia to the original! At start it does seem to be a nice mix between the slice of life and the actual tokusatsu part which Gridman is known for.

SO I really do wonder what kind of story this will have to offer, but I sure like it already! Might even catch the original tokusatsu series up after this!
Apr 29, 2019 12:05 AM
Jan 2019
May 23, 2019 8:34 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That was one horrifying mess of CGI, I really like the feel of the 2D animation, it speaks a lot about its potential as a drama slice of life, and it also got some FLCL vibes to it. Count me in, coach.
I can already see a waifu war in here, at least between these two girls, although, I still don't see anything pointing at the T H I C S everybody was talking about.
Jul 16, 2019 7:03 PM

Dec 2015
Well that was awful i hate the cast already and that cgi fight was painful to watch...
Dec 29, 2019 8:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Weird first episode but it can be cool
Feb 17, 2020 12:30 PM

Jun 2015
WHY DID I TAKE SO LONG TO WATCH THIS? ME, A GRIDMAN FAN.
Lots of homages to Gridman in a single episode. The original Gridman's voice, calling the computer Junk a pile of junk, the sound effects, the Gridman Beam. I'm in for a cool ride.
That villain can't be Kahn Digifer, can him?
Also, I was expecting a fight in the computer world. But seems like they're twisting it a bit.
Switch_ZFeb 17, 2020 12:36 PM
Feb 17, 2020 12:31 PM

Jun 2015
RafaelDeJongh said:
While I never seen the original Gridman myself, I am pretty sure that this episode gave a lot of people a whole lot of nostalgia to the original! At start it does seem to be a nice mix between the slice of life and the actual tokusatsu part which Gridman is known for.

SO I really do wonder what kind of story this will have to offer, but I sure like it already! Might even catch the original tokusatsu series up after this!

It really was sweet to get all the references.
Mar 28, 2020 10:13 AM

Mar 2010
Rikka seems like a really lovable person but for different reasons than just looks, her personality and upfront honesty makes her seem more genuine, but not bitchy enough to warrant a bitch to be slapped. Though since its the first episode you would have thought they would give you something less basic as a intro but what can you do in 12 episodes? My main reason for watching this is rikka, as long as they don't fuck up her character then I'll be alright, but I gotta say this is such a basic anime its not good or bad. Like a anime you watch for only to just see time pass by.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 15, 2020 8:00 PM

May 2020
For the first time in my life I watch this genre again after a long time ago when I watch Ultraman in my childhood. Tbh I don't like this genre because mecha isn't my interest. I came here because Uchiida Maaya ED that I found on Osu for the great song and I listen it untill now. I think I will start to watch this and the girls does have good looking so it might be enjoyable.
sharosharoMay 15, 2020 8:05 PM
Sep 18, 2020 6:17 PM
Jun 2013
that was a pretty fun start. The characters aint bad also rikka skirt is so short is basically is non existent lol. When that bomb dropped face first on that girl I was like ouch though it seems everything sets back after the attack. I wonder if that happens cause gridman won. Also I mainly was drawn to this show since as a kid I watched superhuman samurai live action show.
Oct 4, 2020 10:56 AM

Apr 2013
So we have a parentless highschool boy with amnesia. So far, so generic. I'm only watching this for the waifus anyway.
Nov 20, 2020 12:53 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Now I’m always down for some good studio trigger action, and this stuff right here wasn’t bad at all. But damn does this feel like one empty husk of an anime. Felt dead as a door nail watching this; it’s like it’s lacking a soul, even bad anime can have some heart. This one just feels like they just threw some shit together and hoped it stuck. I’ll watch one or two more episodes though, don’t want to judge too quickly

I like dah waifus doe. Hope the don’t pull a kiznaiver and toss aside best girl like she’s nothing

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 15, 2021 10:35 PM

Mar 2014
The "normal" parts of the episode were really nice. Really had to suspend my disbelief when he got sucked into the computer and everything that followed after that though lol. From there it's like the show kicked into "cheesy bad/classic kaiju action show"
Jan 17, 2021 2:06 PM
Jun 2020
This episode felt slow for most of the time but the ending was interesting and the characters are likable so I'm interested to see more.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Yesterday, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Yesterday, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Yesterday, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

161 by jonathan301 »»
Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.