Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 7, 2018 11:01 PM
Apr 2013
Before the Eva comparisons come in... Franxx was chock full of Eva copypaste scenes without understanding why they were originally good.

The storyline in this felt super kid's cartoon too-simplistic-for-logic and had absolutely zero eva to it.

I really enjoyed it. It was like a simple breath of fresh air after the stale facade of Franxx.

Every time there are characters who can speak normally and have calmer humour without screaming every 2 seconds, I see comments calling them boring/emotionless, but I prefer it to the usual yelling morons. I did also get the KyoAni vibes from them, but that's far from a complaint.

Also Rikka is perfect.

But wtf was with that one scene in the shop where Rikka was asking if Yuta was messing with her, though? Watching and listening to it felt like being in some sort of time distortion with all the repeats and keyframe bounces. I'd like to think it was some sort of mysterious stylistic effort, but I'm guessing someone really fucked up.
Oct 7, 2018 11:52 PM
Sep 2013
Tenth said:
Trigger continues to disappoint as always. Weird cuts, overly drawn out scenes, boring mc and cgi in combat. Didn't feel any of the charm the original tokusatsu show had.

But hey atleast they got some waifus so this show is for sure somewhat saved....
I think that odd cut fell really unique, and what make it more enjoyable is the way character communicate with each other
Oct 8, 2018 12:22 AM
Aug 2018
Another mecha? First episode was ehhh as usual Trigger art/animation is very good but as usual the plot doesn't make any sense.
Oct 8, 2018 12:29 AM
Oct 2018
Fayteco said:
Another mecha? First episode was ehhh as usual Trigger art/animation is very good but as usual the plot doesn't make any sense.

Mecha? It's like a superhero.
Oct 8, 2018 12:31 AM
Aug 2018
Strafe2409 said:
Fayteco said:

Yeah it's definitely Mecha
Oct 8, 2018 12:48 AM
Oct 2018
Or more appropriately, a giant hero.
Oct 8, 2018 1:49 AM

Oct 2018
Usually not into these types of shows, but always give Trigger a chance (for better or worse). Was enjoyable
Oct 8, 2018 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
YizelTro said:
Cabron said:
Already seeing those callbacks to the original Gridman, even saw an Ultraman reference.

Anyway, this isn't just a Trigger show.
It's a collab between Trigger and Tsuburaya Productions.

That's tokusatsu my dude.
Yep, just like the original.

Heh that's cuz Ultraman and Gridman are owned by the same studio.

reallly ?!
are you sure ?
trigger own ultraman ?

No, Trigger is Co-Producing the show with Tsuburaya. Tsuburaya owns ultraman and the original Gridman
Oct 8, 2018 4:28 AM

Jun 2017
Fayteco said:
Strafe2409 said:

Nah, Gridman is a living being that fuses with a human, so I wouldn't count it as mecha.
Oct 8, 2018 4:30 AM

Oct 2014
Loving the first episode, trigger really did a good job in here, there's also a lot of awesome reference involving ultra series and the 1993 gridman show

ZetaKai1219 said:
Fayteco said:

Nah, Gridman is a living being that fuses with a human, so I wouldn't count it as mecha.

It's a mixed mecha show

fuusen_gumOct 8, 2018 4:36 AM
Oct 8, 2018 6:16 AM

May 2016
This anime is better than that dump fire shit show Zexal from Yugioh
Oct 8, 2018 6:16 AM

May 2016
First episode was good, can't wait to watch some more Gridman, reminds of the Setai fights from Toku
Oct 8, 2018 9:32 AM

Aug 2014
Are they going to call themselves Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad? Kind of interesting they embraced the SSSS title. Shame they had to CG this. And the amnesia plot. Otherwise wasn't bad. If nothing else girl is cute.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Aug 2015
Okay first episode.
I hope this doesn't end up travesty like Darling in the Franxx which was one of the worst modern anime to ever come out.
Oct 8, 2018 11:30 AM

Mar 2016
This is pretty underrated... I pretty much like the whole episode with the exception of some lines and the cg was actually good.
Oct 8, 2018 12:59 PM
Mar 2016
I am super into it!
Oct 8, 2018 7:44 PM

Apr 2015
That's probably one of most "shocking" debut series I've seen in a while in a seasonal anime.

I don't mean that it was impressive, but you certainly got Trigger all over this piece and that's what I was here for !

At least, that CGI fight scene (with some hand-drawn shots) was more competent than your average typical CG (Overlord II/III in a nutshell) used in other series, it certainly had fluidity to it.

Also ... was I the only one who really thought the "antagonistic" figure looked a hell lot like the chief police of the Space Patrol from Luluco (Another Trigger series) ? He even sounded kinda alike ...
Oct 8, 2018 9:02 PM

Jan 2018
mar1217 said:
Also ... was I the only one who really thought the "antagonistic" figure looked a hell lot like the chief police of the Space Patrol from Luluco (Another Trigger series) ? He even sounded kinda alike ...

Same VA.

As for the CGI, I generally accept that stuff more than most people and don't have problems with it, but it is definitely well above average in this show. A ton of detail, very natural movements. A ton of respect for Miyakaze's work on that.
Oct 8, 2018 9:43 PM
Aug 2018
ZetaKai1219 said:
Fayteco said:

He's robotic looking, it's literally an anime version of power rangers and besides the category for this anime is even mecha lol
Oct 8, 2018 11:15 PM

Oct 2008
oh wow! this is Ultraman after all!..and i LOVED it!
based TRIGGER!
5/5.

Oct 8, 2018 11:23 PM

Jan 2013
Fayteco said:
ZetaKai1219 said:

He's robotic looking, it's literally an anime version of power rangers and besides the category for this anime is even mecha lol
>power rangers
It's sentai/super sentai chief.
Even then it's tokusatsu.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 8, 2018 11:36 PM

Oct 2017
Still going to keep watching even with a meh first episode. Cause TRIGGER!
Oct 8, 2018 11:53 PM

Jun 2013
i don't know what to think about this
Oct 9, 2018 3:32 AM

Oct 2014
PhantomKurata said:
Okay first episode.
I hope this doesn't end up travesty like Darling in the Franxx which was one of the worst modern anime to ever come out.

Well, DitF is being handled by 3 studios from Trigger, A1, and Cloverwork, but gridman is being handled by Trigger only, and as far as i know, the anime made by Trigger Studios alone is really well done
Oct 9, 2018 3:40 AM

Dec 2015
What is this trash?
~
Oct 9, 2018 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
Cabron said:
ZetaKai1219 said:
Gridman really reminds me of Ultraman. Great first episode; felt kinda slow at first but my adrenaline kicked in once the kaiju showed up. Will be looking forward to more episodes of this show.
P.S. if you think this rips off or was inspired by Evangelion, get out of my sight; the original Gridman tokusatsu show came two years before that.
Lmao wait for it, you just know someone is going to mention it.

Even better - it's pretty much the other way around. Gridman was made by the same company who makes Ultraman, which was a HUGE influence on Hideaki Anno. He actually made Ultraman fan films before he started Gainax.

GemTastical said:
This show is going to make it easy to tell which of us are hardcore tokusatsu lovers and which of us just jumped on this because they saw Trigger.

lmfao yep.
Oct 9, 2018 9:11 AM
Dec 2017
This was the FLCL reboot we deserved. Watch this if you loved FLCL.
Oct 9, 2018 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
EpsilonX said:
Cabron said:
Lmao wait for it, you just know someone is going to mention it.

Even better - it's pretty much the other way around. Gridman was made by the same company who makes Ultraman, which was a HUGE influence on Hideaki Anno. He actually made Ultraman fan films before he started Gainax.

GemTastical said:
This show is going to make it easy to tell which of us are hardcore tokusatsu lovers and which of us just jumped on this because they saw Trigger.

lmfao yep.
Pretty much, the studio was called Daicon Film (eventually renamed to Gainax).
NGE is pretty much his Ultraman fanfic in anime form.

Anyway, the fact that a lot of his fans (the ones in the West) don't know this is I'm sorry to say quite laughable.
But in someways I can't really blame them, since it all really comes down to how NGE was marketed in the West.
CabronOct 9, 2018 12:36 PM

Oct 9, 2018 2:04 PM

Oct 2018
Enjoyed the first episode, especially the foreboding atomsphere and how well directed it was. Although the scenes with the long pauses, zoom-ins and jumpcuts were not handled that well. Obviously they were for comedic purposes, but in the end they more jarring than funny.

Shame about the heavy use of CGI. I get it, they are tyring to mimic actors in costumes, but still the action would have been even more enjoyable in 2D.
Oct 9, 2018 3:44 PM

Jun 2017
Fayteco said:
ZetaKai1219 said:

So what if the category is mecha? Look at Date a Live and Hundred; those don't even have mecha in them and yet they count as mecha.
Gridman's also a living being that fuses with a human. A mecha is basically a robot that is piloted by someone. Get your facts straight.
Also you're officially a cultureless swine for mentioning POWER RANGERS.
Oct 9, 2018 3:45 PM

Jun 2017
fuusen_gum said:
PhantomKurata said:
Okay first episode.

Well, DitF is being handled by 3 studios from Trigger, A1, and Cloverwork, but gridman is being handled by Trigger only, and as far as i know, the anime made by Trigger Studios alone is really well done

Tsuburaya(aka the creator of the original Gridman and the Ultraman franchise) is also backing up Trigger this time, so what could go wrong?
Oct 9, 2018 4:46 PM

Jul 2015
I like it, i think it will go in a more fun direction instead of constant drama like DarFra
hope it goes balls to the wall crazy
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Oct 9, 2018 8:47 PM

Jan 2013
Fayteco said:
ZetaKai1219 said:

So what if the category is mecha? Look at Date a Live and Hundred; those don't even have mecha in them and yet they count as mecha.
Gridman's also a living being that fuses with a human. A mecha is basically a robot that is piloted by someone. Get your facts straight.
ZetaKai1219 said:

Lmaoooo why are you so triggered I never said mecha's were bad, I actually enjoy them but not from trigger after what they did to darling in the franxx. Also, im a "cultureless swine" for mentioning power rangers yet I hated that show and yet you have fucking optimus prime as your profile picture gtfo you imbecile lmao
Different staff different projects, Trigger isn't a single entity.

Oct 9, 2018 11:18 PM

Oct 2012
By the way. Anyone else really get the feeling that they're setting this up as an obvious 'This whole world is virtual' type thing?

Which.. would make sense since Gridman can only exist inside virtual stuff. But maybe I'm making too may assumptions off the original work.
Oct 9, 2018 11:43 PM
Jun 2016
Only a few mins in, seems interesting but OUCH those jump cuts were painful to watch and I'm not one to really notice such things.
Oct 10, 2018 1:24 AM

Oct 2014
ZetaKai1219 said:
fuusen_gum said:

Tsuburaya(aka the creator of the original Gridman and the Ultraman franchise) is also backing up Trigger this time, so what could go wrong?

Or what could go right? I suggest, try to see their track record

GemTastical said:
By the way. Anyone else really get the feeling that they're setting this up as an obvious 'This whole world is virtual' type thing?

Which.. would make sense since Gridman can only exist inside virtual stuff. But maybe I'm making too may assumptions off the original work.

Gridman originally exist in virtual world, but under certain circumstances, he can travel to real world along with the kaijuu.
You can try to see this video, it's explains how the virtual world can be connected to the real world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAdQMOBdro
Oct 10, 2018 10:12 PM

Feb 2014
I wasn't too impressed with the first episode, but I'm hoping it'll get more interesting. Casshern Sins will always be my favorite when it comes to these reimagingings. That's the way you subvert expectations!

Brandon2149 said:
Tenth said:

Are we sure it's just this one? feels like they haven't even tried in ages.

Ages? Try a year ago. People just trying to hate on them because of franxx which is out of the control of them.

The recent hate for them from Darling is really unwarranted imo. It was a collab, but also not every show is going to be a home run. It wasn't for Gainax, so it's not going to be for Trigger either. Just like any other studio really. It's like hating on Madhouse all of a sudden because the animation for Overlord the last two season was kind of meh. You gotta look at the full picture.

One thing I'll always like about Trigger is that they're one of the only studios, along with PA Works, that tries to pump out originals as much as they can. I will always respect studios that take a chance on originals and especially ones that constantly take a chance on them because most of what we get these days are adaptations. Trigger is known for their originals and they certainly make some interesting ones that get people talking whether it be Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, Inferno Cop, Luluco, Kiznaiver, and yes, even Darling. The quality varies, but no doubt they've made a big impact in the anime community and some are revered (KLK and LWA).

Imo their good definitely outshines the bad and their bad hasn't been that bad. I still consider Trigger one of the better studios in Japan; they're not going to be perfect every time, like just about any other studio. The Darling hate I think has gotten excessive, Trigger isn't Deen or Arms by any stretch.
Oct 11, 2018 12:45 AM
Oct 2015
Slow start but quite promising. Studio Trigger does it again.
Oct 11, 2018 5:35 AM

Mar 2012
ItzToxic said:
Rikka is...

yeah...

pretty fuckin hot.

Reason enough for me to keep going 8)

Same here. :')

Average episode.
Oct 11, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
None of y’all realized this is from the director of Inferno Cop yet? ๐Ÿ™„ It’s so apparent in the style of dry and off-kilter humor. And honestly it’s great that they actually gave him a full budget this time for his irreverent style than straddling the line with Ninja Slayer, with felt like it didn’t know whether it wanted to be low prod like Inferno Cop or more serious and animated like kill la kill.

This first episode felt like it had a much more tonally and visually confident direction than the former, aside from the so-so CG (though not terrible by any means), which to me is somewhat he antithesis of trigger’s productions. The character designs are simple but attractive and the dialogue and rapport between characters is really enjoyable and even surreal at times. I appreciate the quiet and calm atmosphere the first half of the episode gave off, similar to Eva’s first episode, as someone else noted.

I think after DitF a lot of people just feel burned by the studio and want to irrationally shun them, as one obnoxious commenter on this board is outright rallying for. I love trigger but not everyone they make (or help make) will be a winner. Maybe this won’t end up being very good either, but so far it’s one of the better shows I’ve watched from this season.
Oct 11, 2018 3:54 PM

Oct 2018
The interestingly distinctive (lack of) animation trigger is known for and the obvious tribute to the tokusatsu style certainly shows itself in this episode. Overall, it seems quite interesting. Let us see where it goes.
{~๐•ธ๐–Š๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ฎ๐–š๐–‘๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š ๐–‰๐–” ๐–“๐–”๐–™ ๐–๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ฑ๐–”๐–—๐–š๐–’ ๐•พ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–“๐–†๐–™๐–š๐–—๐–Š๐–˜~}
Oct 11, 2018 4:13 PM

Oct 2017
I honestly loved this first episode.

I was really afraid of the direction they would take, but it looks like whoever directed and animated this has done his homeworks.

The atmosphere kind of reminded me of Hosoda's work in Digimon: Our War Game...That kind of silent, mystical atmosphere, the weird cuts that jump from a situation to the other without feeling forced or distracting...

And as much as I hate CG mecha animation, this was incredibly gorgeous to look at. Gridman fights exactly like in the original show, the kaiju was charmingly clumsy, even slamming Gridman with his neck, simply because in the original show it would've been a way to use the weird shape of the costume in the battle...and most of all, something that CG animation rarely does with mechas, you could feel the weight of the battle and the impact of every single hit.

I'm all in for this series, I haven't been hyped for a new "mecha" anime series like this in a long time!
Oct 11, 2018 4:44 PM

Feb 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

Not as good as that one ^
But still not terrible.
Oct 11, 2018 8:15 PM

Oct 2017
Are you sure it is not sentai, mecha, Ultraman mix especially when the Gridman beam thing Jesus christ. Old computers huh, wel it isn't bad but it is another generic anime, animation is fine tho music is good tho the characters kind of remind me of someone

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Oct 11, 2018 9:35 PM

Nov 2012
....This.... felt like bootleg TRIGGER. Everything about it just wasn't on par with their usual stuff. I'll give this the 3 episode rule but I'm pretty dissapointed.
Oct 11, 2018 10:03 PM
Jun 2016
The main characters' names are Rikka and Yuuta... Hmmm... Chuunibyou, anyone?
Oct 12, 2018 1:48 PM
Oct 2011
VanishingKira said:
"In normal anime, the first episode is exciting and the second episode is a chill cool-down. Gridman is the other way around. Episode 1 was just a chill intro. Things will get wild in episode 2!"
-Akira Amemiya

"The first episode was very good! But the second episode and further are even better. The show is just starting, things will get exciting. Look forward to it."
-Keiichi Hasegawa.

And episode 3 is supposed to have some kind of twist and to watch atleast up to it.

Excellent.

Loved the first ep of the simuldub.
I also agree with Deg from the first page, and ItzToxic above, Rikka was pure win.
Oct 12, 2018 2:49 PM
Oct 2011
hopscotchskies said:
Also Rikka is perfect.

But wtf was with that one scene in the shop where Rikka was asking if Yuta was messing with her, though? Watching and listening to it felt like being in some sort of time distortion with all the repeats and keyframe bounces. I'd like to think it was some sort of mysterious stylistic effort, but I'm guessing someone really fucked up.

Yup, she is great.

I think you're talking about the scene at the beginning when they are in front of that old computer for the first time?

The way I saw it Rikka asked him what he was doing/who he was talking to and couldn't see anything on the screen when he pointed at it, since only Yuta could see or hear Gridman there for some reason, hence the animation kept cutting from the white screen of Yuta's view to Rikka's view with the screen off. It was also during this bit when Yuta's whole amnesia thing comes up during their quick back and forth, to which she kind of complains he might be messing with her.
DangerMouseDMOct 12, 2018 9:12 PM
Oct 13, 2018 2:36 PM

Feb 2012
That was epic, funny that the Kaiju looks more CG than Gridman. I'm a newbie to the Ultra series so I don't know what to expect (my Toku experience is limited to SS/PR):
Fortress_MaximusOct 13, 2018 2:40 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 16, 2018 11:17 PM

Apr 2011
Oh man. I got chills on this episode when when the MC transforms into gridman. It gaved me old school ultraman vibe.

But it feels like its not trigger who did this. Like someone hijacked the studio. Still awesome first episode. Rikka & Akane are waifu material.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

162 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.