Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 10, 2018 10:01 PM

Jan 2011
If the fights are interesting it should be ok.
Oct 12, 2018 1:13 AM

Dec 2009
Hmm... I get the point you're trying to say, but I definitely don't agree with those statements. And it's done in such an arrogant way...

ganomed said:

I think the only purpose of this adaptation by studio Lerche was to demonstrate to the whole world how bad western people are with this kind of entertainment, and it's very blatant.

Actually it's already admitedly a "bad" anime adaptation (understand here "bad" as filler-fulled anime and original story breaking removal/added material, it can completely be enjoyed if you don't know the source material or don't mind the changes, just like Game Of Thrones is to the A Song of Ice And Fire books), even if the author agreed and supervised the changes he did say in an interview that the fact he lacked having a japanese editor saying what to put in his chapters when he did them made him rush and introduces multiple characters whereas in japanese manga there are "rules to follow" to those things so that readers are not lost.

So he thought having Lerche doing these changes was a good thing to the story (it's absolutely not), because "it's a kid show" (I definitely cried, and wept despair tears at this statement).

Here is the full interview in french, I'll try to make an english translation this weekend

And I think the way he introduced the background of his universe as well as his characters (sometimes 4 or 5 characters are introduced in the same chapter, I only can think of One Piece and Hunter x Hunter that are doing this nowadays) is the most fast paced and natural settings I've seen in manga. Also ... you're french man, why are you trying to destroy something we should be proud of and you even didn't read the source material before judging... <__<

Also remember that Lerche is trying to adapt 4 volumes of mangas (first arcs of the serie) in 21 episodes... for a quick comparison the first part of Jojo (5 volumes) has been adapted in 9 episodes faithfully.

ganomed said:

I won't call it generic because it's already a step further, it's parodic, it mimics your cliché japanese nekketsu shonen without never understanding that fighting is NOT THE GOAL.

Well that kinda was the point : to do a french shonen influenced by other cultures than the japaneses have and also do an original story with "shonen manga" standards. Also it's absolutely not a nekketsu (and the anime just blatantly lied already to the viewer right in the first episode) since Seth absolutely don't want to be the best in whatever. He justs wants to find the Radiant (whatever it is) so he can stop the nemeses dropping. Also it is important to note that on the opposite of One Piece, no one gives a fuck about the Radiant beside Seth in the manga. So the goal of the manga is not competitiveness, but just pure adventure and understanding of the world.
Also you're thinking that the goal is to defeat and kill all nemeses by fighting, but you're already failing to understand the point of the manga actually.
Your sentence "fighting is NOT THE GOAL" made me think of themes that are developped in Vinland Saga... but in Vinland Saga even the first volumes are just mass killing and murder even made by the hero to get to the point where he understands that's not what he wants to do and that fighting is wrong since no one is your enemy. Well in Radiant those themes are also slightly developed the more the story progress... So yeah, you're also wrong here and judging a shonen by his first episode is so full of shit (but I do agree the first episode failed his introduction).

ganomed said:

Indicative, the first episode starts with a narrator telling all the background story... as confessing that the worldbuilding is a second class citizen here.

In the manga it's done on a beautiful colored first page with a huge amount of details so that the reader can have a glimpse at what is the universe just by looking at the characters and their attitude (some town people are making a cross sign to protect themselves from sorcerers for example, we can see a huge nemesis in the form of a dragon in the background and sorcerers flying to this monster) and what to expect, here they just show a map without even telling/showing where the hero lives on the map, so the whole point of showing the map is useless.
Also if they don't fail to much on the second episode a character will explain to the peasants what trully are the sorcerers. And we also have more and more informations about the world with later chapters... So yeah, thinking everything will be explained in plain 20 minutes is second class braindead here...
Also the fact that Tommy already know as much as Seth about sorcerers is really problematic... and Tommy is already a filler character so yeah...
Batora07Oct 12, 2018 8:16 AM
Oct 12, 2018 4:14 AM
Sep 2018
I think they have denaturalized the manga, the humor of the manga has been removed to instead put a more ... Japanese humor? and a lot of things have been cut and add but still that's ok for an adaptation

But humorous humor, do not change the blood humor! you make a Japanese anime from a French work so take the opportunity to make something more exotic instead of making the thing closer to a Japanese manga

But wait and see
Oct 12, 2018 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
I call bullshit, there is no way a fully grown Togemon can hatch from an egg!

Hmm well i liked how adventurous and playful the series is right out of the bat, BUT (a big but) i dont think they did a good job at balancing the humor with the serious moments. At one moment we had cows being paired together and people acting in a comic manner, the other momment someone throws a rock at someone face; while in another instance the villages are fearing for their lifes while rigth afterwards almost laughinging at the kid "stupidity" and making funny facial expressions.
Still hard to judge, hope they work arround that in the next episodes.
Oct 13, 2018 4:46 AM

Dec 2009
ganomed said:
Batora07 said:
Also ... you're french man, why are you trying to destroy something we should be proud of and you even didn't read the source material before judging... <__<
What a stupid argument. No I'm not proud at all, on the contrary I feel very ashamed.
Particularly in some scenes for example with the stone, angry villagers throw a stone to the face of the sorceress, it's some sort of japanese meme we often see in animes, like nose bleeding before a girl, sneezing when we talk about you, a pot that falls on the head, or thieves with a circular pattern on their bag...
and seeing these cultural things being copied by a weaboo author is very malaisant.

Have you ever learned about stoning (lapidation) ? That's not a "meme" when people are lynched. It's never used in a comical way.
Clearly in the manga when Alma is hit by the stone on her face, the humour feeling stop, because it is definitely a serious scene and unveil to the reader that peasant can clearly be violent against sorcerers for futile reasons.
Oct 13, 2018 9:59 AM

May 2015
Lighthearted and fun !
Oct 14, 2018 10:22 AM
Oct 2018
Meh....he first episode was "watchable". Mainly because of its humor quotient but I think it can be given a dark theme and introduce more characters as the story progresses.
I think it has potential but not that impressed with the pilot. I hope they this anime good because I love shounen-fantasy genre.
Oct 14, 2018 10:22 AM
Oct 2018
Meh....he first episode was "watchable". Mainly because of its humor quotient but I think it can be given a dark theme and introduce more characters as the story progresses.
I think it has potential but not that impressed with the pilot. I hope they this anime good because I love shounen-fantasy genre.
Oct 15, 2018 9:11 AM

Aug 2008
Adome said:
Antanaru said:
And all that from a the country that gave the world mother of all leftists revolutions? What could possibly go wrong... Thanks for the heads up, now I know to steer away from this piece of shit.

Pro tip: There actually was nothing French about French Revolution.
Care to elaborate?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 15, 2018 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty basic, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Oct 16, 2018 3:25 PM

Jun 2014
This looks pretty cool!

I love fantasy Anime, and this one looks like it's gonna be a good one.

Oct 25, 2018 6:55 AM

Aug 2017
The first episode is so generic that hurts. The main character is very annoying.
NurguburuOct 25, 2018 7:04 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 25, 2018 8:14 AM
Sep 2017
Nurguburu said:
The first episode is so generic that hurts. The main character is very annoying.
I purpose you to read the manga, he is very much better, a lot of good messages and things are gone in the 1st episodes, it's like tokyo Ghoul anime. Here you can find the 1st volume and the middle of the 2nd http://fanfox.net/manga/radiant/
Oct 29, 2018 10:46 PM

Feb 2015
Batora07 said:

^this.
I haven't watched the first episode yet, but as a manga reader, the story in the next volumes is really great and original, but I understand their complaints as I had exactly the same when I was reading the first volume.
I just hope the people with these complaints will hang on to the 5 first episodes since it becomes really fun and interesting after the pompo hills arc and the meeting with the other important characters.

dude what are you talking about, it was being called out being a naruto 2.0 even when it was very new, and it's true.

also, i don't understand the saltiness of people calling generic stuff generic. it's not their fault stories are a penny a dozen.
Oct 30, 2018 1:36 AM

Dec 2009
TomDay said:
Batora07 said:

^this.
I haven't watched the first episode yet, but as a manga reader, the story in the next volumes is really great and original, but I understand their complaints as I had exactly the same when I was reading the first volume.
I just hope the people with these complaints will hang on to the 5 first episodes since it becomes really fun and interesting after the pompo hills arc and the meeting with the other important characters.

dude what are you talking about, it was being called out being a naruto 2.0 even when it was very new, and it's true.

also, i don't understand the saltiness of people calling generic stuff generic. it's not their fault stories are a penny a dozen.

"dude" I'm reading the manga and I can tell you that it absolutely has nothing in common with Naruto, it's more like One Piece in the way the MC is looking for something mythical that no one ever saw before / recruiting friends to help him on his adventure. Tony Valente even stated being heavily influenced by One Piece and Dragon Ball, Naruto not so much.
But even with inspirations (ALL mangakas have inspirations, even Kentaro Miura) he succeeded in having a cool and original universe on his own (that I'm feeling the show really don't care about faithfully adapting it).
That's why seeing the first episodes I was really pissed because the guys that made the anime definitely didn't get what was the point of the manga, they basically put all the ingredients to make a basic copy of Naruto without even trying to make something original or "exotic" that they definitely could have easily done. To the point that one of the producer even stated that "The message that contains this story isn't essential to the plot, that's more subtle"
source (in french : http://www.allocine.fr/article/fichearticle_gen_carticle=18676090.html)
this definitely proves they don't gave a shit about what they were adapting.

Also quoting something I said before even watching the first episode is really weird since I keep bashing the anime adaptation ever since for not being faithful to source material and just pure Naruto-kind of filler.

Also stating that the show is aimed at a younger audience and that they had to remove all the violence is PURE SHIT because Lerche is the studio that made Danganronpa 3 and the heavy violence and death in this show was DEFINITELY not aimed at a young audience.
Batora07Oct 30, 2018 1:40 AM
Oct 30, 2018 4:33 AM

Oct 2018
I mean, just because Lerche made a show aimed at a more mature audience doesn't mean they can't also make one for younger people? It's airing on NHK Educational so they can't go all out. Was this a good channel choice? I'd say "no" since they had to adapt the anime for younger audiences, but it gave them BNHA' slot so that's a plus. Who knows, if they'd gotten another channel, maybe it would have aired at impossible times and gotten way less visibility.
Oct 30, 2018 10:09 AM

Feb 2015
Batora07 said:

"dude" I'm reading the manga and I can tell you that it absolutely has nothing in common with Naruto, it's more like One Piece in the way the MC is looking for something mythical that no one ever saw before / recruiting friends to help him on his adventure. Tony Valente even stated being heavily influenced by One Piece and Dragon Ball, Naruto not so much.
But even with inspirations (ALL mangakas have inspirations, even Kentaro Miura) he succeeded in having a cool and original universe on his own (that I'm feeling the show really don't care about faithfully adapting it).
That's why seeing the first episodes I was really pissed because the guys that made the anime definitely didn't get what was the point of the manga, they basically put all the ingredients to make a basic copy of Naruto without even trying to make something original or "exotic" that they definitely could have easily done. To the point that one of the producer even stated that "The message that contains this story isn't essential to the plot, that's more subtle"
source (in french : http://www.allocine.fr/article/fichearticle_gen_carticle=18676090.html)
this definitely proves they don't gave a shit about what they were adapting.

Also quoting something I said before even watching the first episode is really weird since I keep bashing the anime adaptation ever since for not being faithful to source material and just pure Naruto-kind of filler.

Also stating that the show is aimed at a younger audience and that they had to remove all the violence is PURE SHIT because Lerche is the studio that made Danganronpa 3 and the heavy violence and death in this show was DEFINITELY not aimed at a young audience.

i wasn't talking about the anime, since fans have said it's not following the "franga", so that's why i'm not bringing it up. i only came across this thread by chance.

and i don't care what they gave a shit or not about, or if the guy wasn't intending to adapt from naruto. the alikeness is there, i've been reading it since chap 1 but unfortunately had to drop it when the fanslations slowed to almost a stop for no apparent reason. perhaps later chapters takes away from what i initially thought.

the reason why the anime changed the manga is probably because of runtime and to also make it more "japanese" or "native" to the viewers, though.
Nov 1, 2018 9:59 PM

Dec 2014
nice... watch .Seth is easily a likable character hmm but people behaviour though
Nov 2, 2018 2:53 PM
Sep 2017
ibraheem234 said:
nice... watch .Seth is easily a likable character hmm but people behaviour though
Seth is a good character, but i can't bear his voice, i think he'll have a more mature voice like ichigo (they are both 15 yo)
Nov 3, 2018 11:38 AM

Dec 2014
JugoKun said:
ibraheem234 said:
Seth is a good character, but i can't bear his voice, i think he'll have a more mature voice like ichigo (they are both 15 yo)

hmmm well his character seemed childish so I thought it suited him... well everyone has their opinions in these things... hmm
Nov 3, 2018 11:49 AM
Sep 2017
ibraheem234 said:
JugoKun said:

hmmm well his character seemed childish so I thought it suited him... well everyone has their opinions in these things... hmm
I think that also because in the manga he seems more mature
Nov 24, 2018 5:20 PM
Mar 2017
Batora07 said:
JugoKun said:
De base, le premier chapitre est beaucoup plus drôle, surtout la scène avec les vaches, de base, c'est Seth qui à défoncé VOLONTAIREMENT les vaches par ce qu'il est tellement abruti qu'il a pas su faire la différence entre des vaches et des Némésis.

Ensuite, Seth il est censé savoir manier le Fantasia à mains nues, donc je vois pas pourquoi il s'entraîne à lancer des sorts.

Puis pour finir, ya ce gamin de Tommy, à vrai dire je m'en fous, mais ça fou un peu en l'air le crédo de Seth "je refuse de devenir le monstre qu'ils ont cru voir" puisque bah là, il a un ami, normalement Seth il est rejeté de tous et c'est pour ça qu'il veut détruire les Némésis, pour plus qu'il y ait d'amalgames entre les sorciers et les Némésis. Mais bon, ça va, pour un perso filler on va pas hurler au scandale, du moment que le message du manga est là, je suis content.

Aussi ça m'énerve les gens qui font "gneu gneu gneu, c'est cliché et pas original" mec va juste lire les arc de Rumble Town et de Caslean Merlin, plus engagé sur le racisme, la xénophobie, la ségrégation, l'esclavage, la corruption politique, l'écologie et le capitalisme, tu meurs, donc arrêtez de vous faire un avis sur 1 épisode

D'accord à 100%, et d'autant plus sur le jugement en un seul épisode... Comme si les 1ers épisodes de One Piece, HunterXHunter et Naruto faisaient mieux haha...

The Mods did not erase you reply, when I wrote in Spanish, the moderators always gave me ban warnings and erased what I put. "Because you can not write in a language other than English in this forum".
I do not know if it's that they did not see you, or do not care about the French language

Edit: I saw that the moderator already gave them a warning. (I also quote your comment, in case you did not see it, it's on page 3)
FireCrauterNov 24, 2018 5:27 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Nov 24, 2018 7:47 PM
Aug 2017
BlackFIFA19 said:
that the guy is voiced by a girl bothers me alot because you really notice it :(
isn't that the same for Pokémon lmao Ash's character was voiced by a female seiyuu
Nov 27, 2018 1:31 PM

Jan 2016
All in all, I think that besides all that is wrong (removing the interesting worldbuilding, removing most of the dramatic impact, toning everything down...) I think that worst thing is this adaptation is the humour.

Instead of just letting the more western humour (granted there are many puns but they could have made an effort) and conveying that exoticism to their japanese audioence they just... try to shoehorn their very generic japanese kid-friendly humour which just gives much much cringe.
Nov 30, 2018 6:35 PM
Feb 2018
Maityoman said:
Can't wait for recycled, overused and laughable comments about how this is "generic". Absolutely loved the first episode. Itching for some more!
i agree with you totally i hate people who hate on new anime just because they see other people shiting on it .it gives the show a bad review and deters new viewers from watching it
Mar 9, 2019 7:29 AM

Jun 2011
uhhh.. this is a little too generic for me..

first off, they joke around way too much, I don't think it's really suitable or anything, they always do some skits before getting serious, which doesn't help in building the tension. It's like, Seth was being dumb and and himself and others into trouble, and we're supposed actually feel something?

Typical Seth trying to be a hero and failed, then someone else came around and saved him. Oh and he's gotta have a friend who'd enter a battlefield despite having zero experience, only to be a deadweight and cause more trouble for Seth.

The whole discrimination part was way too forced, and literally just exposition to get us familiarize with the world. Tons of unnatural conversation that serves as nothing more than exposition to tell us, the audience more about their world.

so apparently this adaptation kind of does its own thing.. and the manga's supposed to be amazing.. and that the anime's going to be more loyal to the manga in future episodes.. hmm I don't get why anime just can't adapt the source material accurately..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 28, 2019 9:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty fine first episode to get things started.

Seth seems like an annoying brat early up but he’s got some genuine typical Shonen-traits which honestly I find appealing from time to time. Alma seems like a really powerful and witty sorcerer on the other hand and some curious and vague details on the world state. Comedic moments were so far on the mark and the voice acting seems to be okay too, kind of looking forward and a bit awry(for its low score and abundant criticisms) to see how the remaining episode do.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 3, 2019 7:00 AM

Sep 2012
mc reminds me of naruto, recless causing trouble 😆
Sep 18, 2019 12:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Strong start imo ! seems to be a generic shounen anime but I really liked the first episode.
It's funny to see that it is adapted from a french manga, I think it's the first time that a french manga is being adapted into a japanese anime, it's great.
One thing I find weird is Seth's voice, he sounds like a girl... anyway I hope this is going to be entertaining ! I'm looking forward for the next episode.
Sep 2, 2020 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
This really screams shounen to me which reminds me of Fairy Tail with a bit of One Piece. Looking forward how this anime based on a french 'manga' is going to turn out. Kinda appreciate how Seth is portrayed as this weak magician kid, also looking forward to his growth.

Oct 24, 2023 10:26 AM
Feb 2022
Me gusto el primer capítulo. Se ve prometedor. Hermosos paisajes. Estaba buscando algo de magia hace un tiempo.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Radiant Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2019

33 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 7, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2018

37 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 5, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

29 by dark_spirit010 »»
Mar 12, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

52 by FedeMetal »»
Oct 25, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Radiant Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2018

71 by FedeMetal »»
Oct 25, 2023 9:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.