Forum Settings
Forums

Today is my 5th Anniversary on MAL - so... why did you join

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Oct 5, 2018 6:04 PM
elk sensei

Well as the title says this topic is made because I'm celebrating my 5th anniversary on MAL and wanna know what made you ultimately join MAL :)

Tell us:
1. What did you do to support your anime/manga habit before joining this site?
2. Is there a specific reason why that made your join MAL?
3. What's your favorite part of the site

My Story:

I probably had one of the more epic entrances into MAL. You see, I’d known MAL had existed for a while, but like many, I thought it was nothing more than an anime database that could be used to query an anime here and there. When I got back into anime after a very long hiatus by watching Toradora, I wanted to find out if there was any other anime like Toradora. After doing a search, I found a recommendation thread for Toradora on MAL, but realized I couldn’t enter anything into it unless I was a member. So then, on October 5, 2013, I created a MAL account and entered a comment into that recommendation thread.

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I had made a faux pas, as I had bumped a forum recommendation thread that had been dormant for like 2 years. And so the first ever comment on my profile was a nastygram by the infamous user MellowJello asking me how the hell I had found that thread.

Shortly thereafter I got my first PM from the forum moderator rodac (now retired) telling me that he had to remove my comment. The one good thing that came from that is that rodac and I have been friends ever since.

I found the clubs a bit later, and IMO they are the best part of MAL. I've since been running one of the most popular clubs in MAL, Namine's Cafe, for nearly all 5 five years I've been here. it’s been fun, and while my activity is way down due to IRL responsibilities, I will probably stay around as long as the site is up.

for more information on me, feel free to check out my MAL Interview: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1640594

Oct 5, 2018 6:08 PM

elkensteyin said:

1. I didn't really have one before that.
2. I needed a place to record what anime series I'd seen. MAL was just the most prominent site and thus the most noticeable choice.
3. The database of various info (staff, characters, summaries, relations, runtimes, air dates, etc.) on anime series.

Oct 5, 2018 6:09 PM

I joined because I needed a place to catalog all the anime I've watched, because I was getting so many "have you seen this anime" and I just couldn't remember all the ones I've watched, it then slowly transformed into having some place to join in forum discussions and chat with other MAL users in comments or PMs. I also like how you can look up a show and see everything related to that show in terms of specials, OVAs, manga, LN, etc.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Oct 5, 2018 6:22 PM

1. I Just watched animes and never would remember the ones i watched and sometimes rewatched the animes and after like 3 ep's i would tell myself i already watched it so i searched and found MAL for cataloging my animes.
2 Not realy
3 The Club Feature and the DB

Oct 5, 2018 6:48 PM

1. I just used an excel to keep track of all the shows I watched and wanted to watch.
2. This felt like a better way for cataloging stuff. Also has a lot of information which didn't know how to obtain otherwise.
3. The database and its features, clubs and the forums.

Oct 5, 2018 7:03 PM
Slumber

@elkensteyin, your profile list colors are pretty. But those episodes, heh.

1. Didn't 'support' it until a year after i made this.
2. @Dask said it was neat. It's neat.
3. Me.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Oct 5, 2018 7:09 PM

i used my phone's default notepad app at first then a friend called me out for it then told me to get a mal. i stopped using mal for a while because i thought it was useless for whatever reason me 9 months ago was tinking then came back a few months ago . just enjoyed browsing reviews and reccomendations for a while then tried out the forums and i think it's pretty fun
yes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

1. I was just watching anime back then, never really thought of putting on a list.
2. Not really but I created a MAL out of curiosity, plus it's pretty cool.
3. Forums ironically speaking.

1. Nothing.

2. Initially joined because I saw a bunch of ppl from other sites that have accounts on here so I thought I might as well make one.
Then I got bored after a few months, tried to find a way to delete the account and didn't manage to.
Now I just use it to track anime and kill time.

3. My forum set, profile layout and anime/manga list layout.
Modified by ky-jou, Oct 6, 2018 6:59 AM

Oct 5, 2018 7:36 PM
elk sensei

Lunilah said:
@elkensteyin, your profile list colors are pretty. But those episodes, heh.

1. Didn't 'support' it until a year after i made this.
2. @Dask said it was neat. It's neat.
3. Me.

LOL @Lunilah - Luna has confirmed that that is a bug with my account - I mean, I guess it could be possible that there are 1.2 million episodes in the 400+ series I've watched, but it's... highly unlikely. Unfortunately, there's really no way to fix it, so I keep it as a conversation piece.

Oct 5, 2018 8:20 PM

I first joined to keep track of what I watch, now I hang out here for the forums.

Ascended Taste
^
check this list out for some ascended music shit (also to give it more views pls I want this list I worked hard on to make me feel special~~~~~~)

Oct 6, 2018 6:06 AM

just watched anime
i only joined MAL because of a friend
just some people

Oct 6, 2018 6:13 AM

1. I watched dubbed anime from bad dub-only websites.
2. Joined MAL to keep track of the anime I had seen.
3. The database and the forum part.

Oct 6, 2018 6:14 AM
Lala Deviluke❤️

1. Nothing. I wasn't much of a fan.

2. No, there isn't. It was just to track what I've watched. Though, I download anime and keep them on my hard drive, so either way I think it was unreasonable.

3. AD, I guess? I mean this is the board I visit the most, so I must be fond of it...

Oct 6, 2018 6:17 AM
elkensteyin said:
Well as the title says this topic is made because I'm celebrating my 5th anniversary on MAL and wanna know what made you ultimately join MAL :)

Tell us:

My Story:

I probably had one of the more epic entrances into MAL. You see, I’d known MAL had existed for a while, but like many, I thought it was nothing more than an anime database that could be used to query an anime here and there. When I got back into anime after a very long hiatus by watching Toradora, I wanted to find out if there was any other anime like Toradora. After doing a search, I found a recommendation thread for Toradora on MAL, but realized I couldn’t enter anything into it unless I was a member. So then, on October 5, 2013, I created a MAL account and entered a comment into that recommendation thread.

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I had made a faux pas, as I had bumped a forum recommendation thread that had been dormant for like 2 years. And so the first ever comment on my profile was a nastygram by the infamous user MellowJello asking me how the hell I had found that thread.

Shortly thereafter I got my first PM from the forum moderator rodac (now retired) telling me that he had to remove my comment. The one good thing that came from that is that rodac and I have been friends ever since.

I found the clubs a bit later, and IMO they are the best part of MAL. I've since been running one of the most popular clubs in MAL, Namine's Cafe, for nearly all 5 five years I've been here. it’s been fun, and while my activity is way down due to IRL responsibilities, I will probably stay around as long as the site is up.

for more information on me, feel free to check out my MAL Interview: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1640594

Someone to talk to mostly about anime tittys

Oct 6, 2018 6:31 AM

Congratulations to you!

1- Nothing really, just made an account of Crunchyroll and used that for a bit to binge watch some anime.
2- It’s supposedly the most popular anime database among foreign casual anime watchers, so I was inclined to make an account here and join the community. Like you too, I knew MAL existed and I used the site only for tracking anime, but I grew curious and wanted to take part in more casual discussions and now fast forward a year, here I am!
3- It allows me to experience anime in a variety of different ways. It wasn’t until I made an account of Aozora that I started watching Seasonal shows and keep up with them. But it was MAL that really got me hooked up to Seasonal shows as there’s just so much more weekly episodic discussions and a lot more available here. It also allowed to me to share my thoughts to a lot more people, than just my brother back in those good ol’ days. I have yet to join a club but I don’t think I’m cut out for those sort of things anyway, so I’m not really sure how that’s like as of now.
Moreover, another great feature of MAL’s got to be the various but vital info on different series, such as airing dates, staff members, characters, reviews and the interesting forums obviously.

That’s all from me, congratulations to you again on making it to your fifth year here!

Edit: I finally got around to reading your interview and I must admit that it was really nice read. I don’t usually read interviews, not at all in fact! But I though this was a pretty good one really.
I’m honestly amazed you still watch anime at your age(no offense intended, I’m sorry if I made it seem that way) and I hope I can do that too! Also, I’m impressed how you made it from zero to a hundred, keep it up!

Also, I currently live in Beijing, China, and I’m planning to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering for my Bachelor degrees(that is though if I don’t end up messing my A-Levels yet again *sigh*), just pointing out some things from your interview, I hope you don’t mind.
Modified by _MushiRock11_, Oct 6, 2018 7:10 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2018 7:03 AM

1. Just online. Crunchyrolls library in my country is abyssmal
2. I came to the website fairly often to read reviews and discover new anime, so i figured it would be nice to join the discussions as well
3. Database and the forums

Happy 5th MAL anniversary!! :D

Oct 6, 2018 8:19 AM

Happy 5th anniversary~ Soon to be my 7th year.

I watched whatever my childhood remembered until MAL.
Joined while looking for a community without pressure.. I'm from an art community.
Clubs are the best for me too.

aimer - brave shine | forum set by phraze

Oct 6, 2018 8:22 AM

1. Nothing
2. To keep track of anime/manga and also get some recommendations
3. Nothing. AD was fun two years ago and was my favorite, but not now.

Oct 6, 2018 8:34 AM

Today is also my 5th Anniversary on MAL as well, I joined 3 days before you, I also have known mal for a couple of years before joining, mostly because when I was looking up anime to get info on, mal was usually top in the search option, at that time I wasn't aware it had a forum side of it, until by chance when I was watching the first season of snk, around episode 17 is when I really fell in love with the series when the female titan appeared, my curiosity of the series increase a lot, and that is when I started looking to find places where I can see other persons talking/discussing about this incredible anime, and so I started watching reaction videos on youtube, eventually finding mal forum discussion and then the episode discussion of snk.

For some odd reason I didn't join until it was over and then I started following the manga. If it wasn't for snk I may not be here right now or at least would not have joined this early, because back then I was not interested in the opinions of others, I was just watching anime for my self pleasure, until I found this masterpiece and that's basically my story on how I joined mal. This is why I have such a strong attachment to Shingeki and mal, and the only real reason why I am still here is because of snk, because I'm really not watching/reading much manga anymore, the only series I follow religiously in this medium is snk.
Modified by keragamming, Oct 6, 2018 8:41 AM

Oct 6, 2018 8:52 AM

My friend was the one that got me into anime, and she was the one who created an account for me on here so she could add anime she liked to my PTW since I had no idea where to start or what to watch.

I think the reason I still use it after 3 years is for the database (looking up info on anime and manga etc.), the forum and episode discussions (although I'm more into reading them than participating myself), and of course, to keep up to date with what I watch/read.

𝓻𝓲𝓪𝓶𝓾 𝔂𝓾𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓲
haa, i'm super ill! on the outside, i might look crazy healthy, but the truth is i'm a late teenager with a heart of glass! filled with the desire to give up on school! that's me, riamu-chan!! if i become an idol, it'd be my chance to do that!? right!?

Oct 6, 2018 8:58 AM
1.i have few manga & LN still watch anime on illegal site though i can't afford crunchyroll or funimation got netflix though.
2.i joined mal because i wanna keep with seasonal animes.

Oct 6, 2018 9:02 AM
1. Sometimes I use Crunchyoll
2. I came for the Forums
3. The forums, the blog feature, and the database

Oct 6, 2018 9:06 AM

My favorite parts of the site are the forums and clubs. That's why I'm here.

I don't even use the listing part of the site, for that I have Kitsu (and AniList as a backup). But the community is very active here, so it's worth sticking around.

Oct 6, 2018 9:07 AM

I joined to keep track of my shit and comment here in the forums to kill/waste my time

Oct 6, 2018 9:08 AM

I think it was at a point of about 50 different anime series, I realised keeping text in a notepad file on my phone is not the most preferable way to keep track of the anime I have watched.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Oct 6, 2018 9:25 AM

1. Tracked what I watched in Excel
2. Friend tried to get me on MAL, but I didn't sign in until I heard about MALGraph
3. The readily available and easy to access data from the entries

Oct 6, 2018 9:28 AM

Anime supported me through tough times.

I joined mal because I got salty with a moderator that I like on a gaming forum, requested for account termination.

Counting threads, sexy profiles forum chatting

Oct 6, 2018 9:29 AM

@iatgof specifically is the reason i use mal. one day i was looking up anime apps in the phone store and found iMal. i downloaded it but it asked for a mal account so i had to go on and make one. i used mal for checking info on anime before but i didn't really care for it that much. then i realized it was for organizing purposes so i tested it out with Bleach. as it kept track of my anime and did so online, it was more effective than my notebook pen-and-paper method so here i am today. iirc i dl'ed iMal on the 4rd of April and it was April 4th when i set it up, but im not totally sure if thats how it went down. either way, this is my story 🍿👌👍🎂🎉✔🐱‍👤🐱‍🏍

Oct 6, 2018 9:31 AM

elkensteyin said:

Tell us:

Well shucks... and I thought I was doing good reaching my 2nd anniversary. Congrats!

1. I upgraded my "storage" drive from 1TB to 3TB, then added a 2nd, then a 3rd, then a 4th, etc.

2. Like many, I joined MAL just so I could comment in a forum.
Couldn't tell ya what the topic was, but I had a strong enough urge to reply, and created an account so I could.
As a secondary "perk" of joining, I was able to create & maintain a list of shows I've watched/am currently watching.

3. The database.
It's what brought me here initially, mostly looking up the synopsis for some title I ran across, or looking up which VA voiced a particular character.
Seeing announcements for upcoming shows and being able to put them on my PTW list is another function of MAL I like.

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Oct 6, 2018 1:43 PM

Tell us:

1. I'd discuss anime with friends or within dedicated sub forums.
2. After many years of loyal service a site I used for seasonal charts shut down and so I had to find another. Seeing people discuss something else other than Eva, FLCL, Madoka, Trigger stuff etc made me want to join the madness.
3. My first thought would be "the users including staff, also freedom of speech" but that's cliché so I'll go with the clubs instead.

Oct 6, 2018 1:48 PM

To make plebs feel bad about their taste in anime
Smoke Weed Everyday

Oct 6, 2018 1:49 PM

I always used to get lost in the anime I've watched and to this day I'm sure that I haven't listed all of them here, but I joined this site to have an easier way to keep track of my hobby. After a few years, I've created a new account and after another couple of years I actually started participating in the community. Mostly by just playing forum games.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm

Oct 6, 2018 2:02 PM

1. I didn't really watch anything other than Naruto before I had a MAL account. I had found Naruto from one of the tv channels but I didn't know what anime is and watched Naruto thinking of it as a cartoon. After becoming a diehard fan of Naruto and buying their games (rather making my parents buy their games), when one of my friends came over he saw the game and asked me if I liked anime. That's how I was introduced. Of course I don't count Pokemon, Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh etc.

2. Be able to track what shows I watched better. There's no other reason really.

3. It's database. A lot of shows that would otherwise be unknown to western audience can be found here. It makes it very accessible.

Oct 6, 2018 3:31 PM

1. I would try to remember the shows I watched or jot them down on Google Docs or something

2. To keep track of a) which shows I'd watched and b) which episodes I'd seen

3. Database and recommendations. It's really nice to look up a show I like and find half a dozen or shows similar to it so I can have some idea of what else I might want to watch.

Oct 6, 2018 3:34 PM
I was just tired of randomly searching for new anime to watch, or by clicking myself through wiki articles until I landed at some studio. So for me it was all about the DB and just having a quick, easy and reliable way of finding what's out there.

Aesthetic value can be recognized or experienced, but it cannot be conveyed to those who are incapable of grasping its sensations and perceptions. To quarrel on its behalf is always a blunder.

Oct 6, 2018 3:41 PM
Ancient

I'm probably one of the starting batch of members of your club xD

I joined on MAL purely because of the recommendation for anime. One of my firsts comments was I think looking for werewolf anime or something.
Then I saw an entire title discussions with people shitting on my favorite anime, and I waged a war!
Then your spam arrived. "Join my <covfefe>". Or maybe I joined on my own... But in the back of my mind there is this memory of this extremely annoying invitation xD

I request a reward for being in the club for so LONG, though I didn't really do much :D

Oct 6, 2018 3:47 PM

1. My friends introduced me to and recommended me all the anime I had watched (save a few)
2. The same friends told me I should join MAL
3. I can find info on shows I didn't know about before and find some like ones I've watched that I liked

Oct 6, 2018 3:55 PM

I used to collecting manga but stopped since some years ago. Though, I never spent any cash for anime or their merchandises. I only watch anime on TV or by downloading them and list them in Ms. Excel. I knew MAL since long time ago but I was still comfortable using Ms. Excel for listing. Recently it's hard to find something watchable or readable manga so I register here mainly to ask recommendations.

Oct 6, 2018 3:56 PM

Well, I joined really recently, and it was originally because a few people on my instagram asked if I had one because they said they were interested in the shows I’ve seen. That’s mainly why I made it. Before MAL I discussed anime loosely with people on instagram occasionally, but not really. What I like about MAL is that everyone here is as far in, or even deeper, in anime hell as me so I feel more included and accepted here. It’s also a great tracker for the anime I’m watching, since I tend to forget what episode I’m on or what series I’m in the middle of.

Oct 6, 2018 11:35 PM

1: Usually played video games
2: Wanted to keep track of the anime I've watched
3: It's a nice tool to find new anime

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Oct 8, 2018 12:20 PM
iMAL dev

RedPlaty said:
@iatgof specifically is the reason i use mal.

Thank you!

I'll reply too so I'm not completely off topic:
1 - Kept track of my anime in text files
2 - Text files suck
3 - The API :)

Oct 9, 2018 12:34 AM

Because of the large database and amount of members it gave me a good idea of what's popular and what not. Being able to keep track of anime felt like a bonus!

Oct 9, 2018 12:42 AM

1 Nothing
2 to track new seasons of anime I like
3 tracking new seasons of anime I like

Oct 9, 2018 2:34 AM
oh shit I forgot about rodac always one of the OG forum moderators in my eyes
and the MellowJello crew were always some hardcore attention seeking hoes but to be honest I prefer them to this newer lot

Oct 9, 2018 2:35 AM
To find anime I haven't watched.
To record anime I have watched
To procrastinate on the forums.

Oct 9, 2018 2:39 AM

Because I got banned on another forum m
Best boi, fite me

Oct 9, 2018 3:10 AM

elkensteyin said:

Tell us:

1. Nothing special to be honest, i was searching over facebook of there is a way to keep track of the anime i was watching, i think you know what followed ^.-

2. Well the main reason why i registered at MAL was to keep track of my series and to find new stuff to watch. During time i wanted to make friends and discuss some episodes with them.

3. Forums i'd say.

MY

FAVORITE

【CHARACTERS💕】

Oct 9, 2018 6:21 AM

I first learnt about MAL in 2010 or so, when I was looking for something similar to some obscure anime I had recently seen (which is probably not on my completed list as I had forgotten its name). At that time I thought it was nothing more than an anime database where you could look for something similar to what you have recently seen. It wasn't until 2014, when I stumbled upon a Youtube channel with tons of recommendations, that I thought about creating an account here. At first I used as simple txt file to store all the interesting anime I would like to watch in the future, but after a while it was unmanageable.

And so on July 25th, 2014, I decided to create a MAL account just to make a more manageable PTW list. Once I added all the anime from my txt file, my PTW list had almost 200 anime (186 or so, if I recall correctly). Having created the account I thought it would be a waste to not add what I have already seen. So I added everything I still had on my HDD or remembered watching. After doing so my completed list had more than 100 anime (111 or so).

And that's basically it.

I don't know when, where, or how, but over the years I accumulated 2,287 posts on the forums :D

Oct 9, 2018 6:49 AM
in 10 days it will be my 9th Anniversary on MAL. :3
In old times if i always talked about anime people always showed their list to me.
And i say why i don't have such a list? I just maked myself an account, and it was pretty usefull to not to forget the names of anime i watched.
First time i heard about seasonal anime was also MAL i begann watch seasonal in 2011.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »